IMG_3182 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3162 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3160 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3161 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3159 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3153 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3150 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3152 (resized).jpeg
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 months ago

It’s coming together. I only had to splice maybe 10 wires for the top half of the playfield. The bottom is going to be MUCH worse. Of the 17 inserts I have left to do, only 2 have wires that reach the insert. So I’m gonna have a big bundle of splice points, unfortunately. But I’m hoping to finish all the insert lamps and GI tomorrow night.

The prep work I did bundling the wires by function (e.g. “spinner”) really paid off.

IMG_3114 (resized).jpegIMG_3114 (resized).jpeg

#52 11 months ago

Very nice, you already surpassed me.

This is how far I got…

IMG_3015 (resized).jpegIMG_3015 (resized).jpegIMG_3016 (resized).jpegIMG_3016 (resized).jpeg
#53 11 months ago

Your rails look great! Now I’m rethinking the color on mine.

I’m mostly done with the GI and the inserts. I have 4 non-working inserts, and 2 more that need new wires run from the connector. I think I’ll take a few days off now, for my sanity.

Here’s a quick video, with a little bit of audio.

IMG_3118 (resized).jpegIMG_3118 (resized).jpeg

#54 10 months ago

Doing some research on coils now. Viking has 6 more coils than Paragon, which was a widebody! That tells you how much action is packed into Viking. 3 of those are for the drop target resets on the 3-bank, and I’ll need to make a new connector just for those wires. It sits below the cabinet connector on the solenoid driver board, like this:

IMG_3122 (resized).jpegIMG_3122 (resized).jpeg

I also need to run new 18 gauge wires for the 2 drop target resets, and the top left pop bumper. I’m not worried about getting the colors right, I’m not going for perfect fidelity here, I just want to play Viking!

I’ve got a $60 order in my Marco cart for switch wire, 10 feet of each color. I’ll see how much I can do with all my scrap 22 gauge wire before I hit the buy button.

#55 10 months ago

https://wirebot.xyz/ Is the best place to get wire and connectors, if you're not getting more stuff from Marco! Site is run by rockwell

#56 10 months ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

https://wirebot.xyz/ Is the best place to get wire and connectors, if you're not getting more stuff from Marco! Site is run by rockwell

Wirebot is awesome and quick

You’re making good progress!

How are you going to make the reset bracket for the drops?? If you could make a 2nd I’d like to get in on it

#57 10 months ago

I pulled apart the reset mech from Rolling Stones. I’ll make this a key post, here comes a bunch of info! I used my calipers for all of this. This is our reset bracket. It’s 1/16” (16 gauge) sheet metal.

IMG_3136 (resized).jpegIMG_3136 (resized).jpeg

The outside measurements for the largest part are 5-3/16” x 2-5/8”.

IMG_3134 (resized).jpegIMG_3134 (resized).jpegIMG_3135 (resized).jpegIMG_3135 (resized).jpeg

The side brackets that bolt into the drop target cage are 1/2” x 3-31/32” (longest end)

IMG_3129 (resized).jpegIMG_3129 (resized).jpeg

The two flanges on the bottom and top are 4-15/16” x 1-1/16” each. The holes for the coil sleeve are 1/2” in diameter.

IMG_3132 (resized).jpegIMG_3132 (resized).jpeg

[Continued in next post]

#58 10 months ago

Here’s one reset mech, broken down:

IMG_3133 (resized).jpegIMG_3133 (resized).jpeg

The coil sleeve bracket is 7/8” wide, with holes spaced 9/16”
The spring is 1-1/4” with 3-5 turns
The sleeve is 1-7/8” and 1/2” outer diameter
The plunger is 3” long, nylon is 5/16” diameter, metal is 7/16” diameter, “bell” is 13/16” diameter and 1/4” thick
The coil is a CJ-31-2000

More pics showing the assembled mechanism:

IMG_3124 (resized).jpegIMG_3124 (resized).jpegIMG_3125 (resized).jpegIMG_3125 (resized).jpegIMG_3126 (resized).jpegIMG_3126 (resized).jpegIMG_3127 (resized).jpegIMG_3127 (resized).jpeg
#59 10 months ago

Here’s everything we need except the nylon/metal plunger:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CJ-31-2000
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/P-108-53
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/10-298

There are many other plungers that could be cut down to work, like maybe this one:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/30463

We’re up to $84 without the plungers or main bracket…

EDIT: I found a cheaper source for the coil and sleeve:

https://www.thepinballwizard.net/coils/coil-sleeves/coil-cn-31-2000-bally/

#60 10 months ago

I’m going to try to find a local metal fabricator that can replicate this for us. I have a drill press and tap set for the screw holes. I might be able to drill the other holes too.

#61 10 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I’m going to try to find a local metal fabricator that can replicate this for us. I have a drill press and tap set for the screw holes. I might be able to drill the other holes too.

It’s cheaper to make more than one with send cut send, if you decide to draw it and have them make flat metal pieces

I’m in, whatever you decide to do

Thank you for all the research!!

#62 10 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

It’s cheaper to make more than one with send cut send, if you decide to draw it and have them make flat metal pieces
I’m in, whatever you decide to do
Thank you for all the research!!

Oh cool, they even do the bending for you. I’m going to try to get this into CAD and see if I can get it quoted.

#63 10 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Oh cool, they even do the bending for you. I’m going to try to get this into CAD and see if I can get it quoted.

they will even do the tapping depending on what size you need.

#64 10 months ago

I think auto cad might have a feature that will give you flat dimensions after drawn in 3d

#65 10 months ago

You might consider drawing the bracket coil retainers too since they’re $6 apiece

#66 10 months ago

Well this sucks. A mini-post broke off in the playfield. I did pre-drill, I guess I just didn’t go deep enough. The other 3 mini-posts went in fine.

IMG_3143 (resized).jpegIMG_3143 (resized).jpegIMG_3144 (resized).jpegIMG_3144 (resized).jpeg

#67 10 months ago

Figured out that what I need to remove the snapped off screw is a 1/4” hole saw. Lucky for me, there’s a Rockler near my doctor’s office where I have an appointment tomorrow. I’ll grab one of these:

IMG_0189 (resized).jpegIMG_0189 (resized).jpeg

I did get a lot done on the coils today. They’re all done except for the top saucer, one pop bumper, both drop resets, and of course the 3 trip coils that I don’t have yet.

#68 10 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Well this sucks. A mini-post broke off in the playfield. I did pre-drill, I guess I just didn’t go deep enough. The other 3 mini-posts went in fine.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Dang , I feel your pain… I did that several times…. Discovered I wasn’t using the correct pre drill bit size

I used a dreamer with a 557 dental burr (from an auto glass company used to drill windshields for rock chip repair). I was able to get all the metal out and sort it out and it was ok

#69 10 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Figured out that what I need to remove the snapped off screw is a 1/4” hole saw. Lucky for me, there’s a Rockler near my doctor’s office where I have an appointment tomorrow. I’ll grab one of these:
[quoted image]
I did get a lot done on the coils today. They’re all done except for the top saucer, one pop bumper, both drop resets, and of course the 3 trip coils that I don’t have yet.

Looking great!! Good job!

#70 10 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Well this sucks

Behind the slings? Isn't that just a low traffic, low impact "block the ball from getting trapped" post to hold the sling rubber?
You'll be 100% fine once you complete the repair, your bamboo toothpicks (doh! you had a dowel, nice) will create a new hold just fine. Take 'er slow.

If your white paint job matching over the hole doesn't suit your 3-foot eyeball test, you can always put shiny washers over EACH side and even up the look. (Or even do all 6 with washers)

Look forward to you on the other side of this one, a little challenge ahead of you, but an easy one to win at.

I LOVE that CPR uses such hard wood, games feel like TANKS afterwards.

What about a "screw extractor" to back it out, and save the clear/white? Enough material left topside to catch?

-mof

#71 10 months ago

This screw extractor is my new favorite tool (that I hope I’ll never have to use again). I’ll let the pics tell the story. I may use just a tiny dab of white paint to hide the bit of dowel that’s peeking out, but it’s mostly an invisible repair.
IMG_3150 (resized).jpegIMG_3150 (resized).jpegIMG_3152 (resized).jpegIMG_3152 (resized).jpegIMG_3153 (resized).jpegIMG_3153 (resized).jpeg

#72 10 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

This screw extractor is my new favorite tool (that I hope I’ll never have to use again). I’ll let the pics tell the story. I may use just a tiny dab of white paint to hide the bit of dowel that’s peeking out, but it’s mostly an invisible repair.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great recovery man! A washer under that post would hide the dowel even more, but im not sure it even needs it.

#73 10 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Great recovery man! A washer under that post would hide the dowel even more, but im not sure it even needs it.

Yes, a thin washer, no paint necessary

#74 10 months ago

I did the trough/apron stuff this morning.

IMG_3159 (resized).jpegIMG_3159 (resized).jpeg
#75 10 months ago

I bought 2 colors of stain: Gunstock (the lighter red one) and “Red Oak”, which is actually more brown. I’m leaning toward the Gunstock, what do ya’ll think?

IMG_3160 (resized).jpegIMG_3160 (resized).jpegIMG_3161 (resized).jpegIMG_3161 (resized).jpegIMG_3162 (resized).jpegIMG_3162 (resized).jpeg
#76 10 months ago

Looks great either way.
I like the darker, but maybe lighter would be better if you play in a dark room.

#77 10 months ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Looks great either way.
I like the darker, but maybe lighter would be better if you play in a dark room.

I’ll check out the backglass and see how they look with the wood there.

#78 10 months ago

You trust your instinct, and nobody else's.

You want complement or contrast?

I felt like Gunstock at first as I was apparently looking for complement. (looking on my screen at a digital picture which is mostly nonsense!)

Only you can choose.
...Only you.

#79 10 months ago

Gunstock looks great.

#80 10 months ago

I made my first ball guide today with the rivet press, angle grinder and hole punch. Also ordered wires for WireBot so I can get going on the switches.

IMG_3182 (resized).jpegIMG_3182 (resized).jpegIMG_3183 (resized).jpegIMG_3183 (resized).jpeg
#81 10 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I can draw it up in Soldiworks for you. sorry i didn't read all the thread; Is it similar to a part i might have in EBD or Paragon?

PM me if interested.

#82 10 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I made my first ball guide today with the rivet press, angle grinder and hole punch. Also ordered wires for WireBot so I can get going on the switches.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nicely done

#83 10 months ago

I found some nice General Finishes gel stain in the garage that I forgot about. This is called “Java”. It’s darker than the other 2 stains, but I kind of like the contrast with the plastics. I think showing off the wood grain is the main thing. I’ll post another pic when I’ve got it all back together.

IMG_3189 (resized).jpegIMG_3189 (resized).jpeg

#84 10 months ago

I may have gone too dark. I’ll see what it looks like once it’s lit up. I can always sand them and start over. It does match the brown in the plastics pretty well though.

IMG_3193 (resized).jpegIMG_3193 (resized).jpegIMG_3196 (resized).jpegIMG_3196 (resized).jpeg

#85 10 months ago

It gives it a unique look and makes the reds really pop.

#86 10 months ago

I had hernia surgery Friday, so I’ve been a little out of it. But today I had a marathon session to do all the switch wiring. I also ran the 7 solenoid wires the harness was missing. The hardest part was leaving the all the wires loose until the very end, which triggered my OCD pretty bad. It was satisfying to finally wrap things up with about 50 zip ties.

Before the zip ties:

IMG_3210 (resized).jpegIMG_3210 (resized).jpeg

After zip ties:

IMG_3215 (resized).jpegIMG_3215 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3214 (resized).jpegIMG_3214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3213 (resized).jpegIMG_3213 (resized).jpeg

#87 10 months ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I had hernia surgery Friday, so I’ve been a little out of it. But today I had a marathon session to do all the switch wiring. I also ran the 7 solenoid wires the harness was missing. The hardest part was leaving the all the wires loose until the very end, which triggered my OCD pretty bad. It was satisfying to finally wrap things up with about 50 zip ties.
Before the zip ties:
[quoted image]
After zip ties:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Oh nice, looking good
Hope you’re feeling better!

#88 10 months ago

I put the playfield back in to test it. There are a lot of switch issues:

B rollover light comes on immediately
B rollover triggers lower left pop bumper
Lower left pop bumper triggers lower right pop bumper
A rollover not working
Spinner not working

Looks like I have some close inspection and head-scratching ahead of me. I also discovered my in-line drop assembly was missing some critical brackets. Fortunately Marco had them for $5 each.

#89 10 months ago

Switches are all fixed! New problem: game won’t boot if the playfield is plugged into the rectifier board. So I have some kind of short on the playfield, ugh.

Time to play some Metallica.

5 months later
#90 5 months ago

Any new info here, sorry (not sorry) for resurrecting

2 weeks later
#91 4 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Any new info here, sorry (not sorry) for resurrecting

Yes! I’ve made no progress on the playfield, but I got a free cabinet (Bally Air Aces). I need to check dimensions to see if it’ll actually work, but it looks pretty much the same as my ‘80-‘81 Bally cabs. To be honest, I’ve pushed Viking to the back to the queue for now. I’m trying to finish a couple of EM restorations: C37 and Quick Draw.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 10.00
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-s-build-a-viking/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.