(Topic ID: 335024)

Is Amazon Prime worth it

By timab2000

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Amazon worth it”

• Yes 76 votes
      75%
    • No 26 votes
      25%

(102 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 12.39.13 AM (resized).png
    6F25E298-0EFB-458F-B535-B25BC3710824 (resized).jpeg
    F4F87F8F-CD21-4811-9F15-B293D04FE79D (resized).jpeg
    giphy.gif
    download (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

You get an entire year of TV streaming movies and tv shows subscription. That's what I think prime is for, not shipping really.

+ Prime Reading and Prime Music

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from pokerag2:

There are third party sellers on Amazon. Amazon has little control over them and what they do.

For a 3rd party seller to be included in Prime Shipping they have to warehouse their products at an Amazon warehouse giving Amazon control and responsibility for the shipping.

#53 1 year ago

It was better when the Amazon trucks delivered the packages. Since I’m rural, they’ve gone back to USPS and Ups which has really increased shipping time.

If it weren’t for Prime video, I’d cancel.

#54 1 year ago

I just went with the Prime video.

#55 1 year ago

We just canceled our membership. We signup when there is a good show we want to watch or a football game. When we are done with that we cancel. The 2 day shipping is nice when we have it, but most everything on amazon is free shipping within a week anyways. I have no problem waiting.

#56 1 year ago

What's next? I guess Congrats on getting Amazon for free...

#57 1 year ago

I canceled last year because 2 Day Delivery was never an option any more for me. Always was Prime Day delivery that could usually be a week away. When choosing to ship the same order to my wife's local work, it was 2 day shipping. My son next town over, same day delivery was sometimes an option. Customer service was fuck all.

Switched to the Walmart service and that's WAY better for me. I have a store up the road and it's great using the app to pay for a shopping list and then just go pick it up without setting foot in the store. Also get same free day delivery from the store since it is close. And all the shipping has been quick with no issues.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

I just went with the Prime video.

it's all one package

#59 1 year ago

Just saw a news report that said Amazon will start charging for shipping on returns if UPS is used.

So maybe the free returns are starting to go away...have to wait a see.

But this is the kind of crap that drives me nuts. They say one thing and then change the rules half way through the game. Doesn't seem right.

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

ust saw a news report that said Amazon will start charging for shipping on returns if UPS is used.

Right now at least, it is only $1 and only if you have a better option for them - a Whole Foods, Amazon Fresh grocery store or Kohl's closer to your delivery address. (Amazon owns Whole Foods and Fresh, and has a partnership deal with Kohl's.). For me that means go left one block instead of right one block to save the dollar. Not a big deal I think.

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Right now at least, it is only $1 and only if you have a better option for them - a Whole Foods, Amazon Fresh grocery store or Kohl's closer to your delivery address. (Amazon owns Whole Foods and Fresh, and has a partnership deal with Kohl's.). For me that means go left one block instead of right one block to save the dollar. Not a big deal I think.

They were speculating that it was a way to direct traffic to the stores that Amazon owns. Imagine that....

#62 1 year ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

I have Amazon Prime but I have found lately that thier 2 day delivery is a joke.
    Now I realize that we have become a society of gotta have it now, but if you are paying for something that say 2 day, doesn't that mean once I hit the buy button, it's on my door step 2 days later?
    I called Amazon about this and the guy said that it starts from the time the supplier puts in on the truck. Well hell that can take days. So he said take it up with the seller.
    Well isn't the seller Amazon? That's what it says on my credit card statement.
    So after a heated conversation he said he would refund one month of Prime back to my card. I said thanks but am not sure if I would continue with Prime and the call ended.
    Then I get an email from him saying that he is going to refund the whole year of Prime and I can continue to use it until it renews. Wow that's a deal.
    So if you think you are getting somewhat screwed by Amazon, call them and raise hell about it. I think it's false advertising but that's just me.
    What are your thought.....

We love having Amazon Prime/music/streaming. My son was going to be renting a house off of campus a couple of years ago with his friends. His bedroom was going to be/is on the second floor. We ordered him one of those rope ladders that you hope you never need in case of a fire and you need to escape out the bedroom window. Tracking showed it was delivered to his front door but there was no package and the Prime driver also took a picture of it on his door step. Obviously a porch pirate A-hole took it. I called Amazon and explained it to them. Their solution: We will send out another one immediately and have it delivered to the nearest store that excepts Prime packages & for the inconvenience of having to drive (maybe a mile away) to get it, we are going to credit your account for the full price of the item. I told them they didn't have to do that but the agent said "To late already completed"
    So we not only got the item replaced we got full credit, $88 added to our account for any future purchases.

#63 1 year ago

Not worth it and I refuse to pay for streaming. Wait for the cart order to be large enough for free shipping. Helps being close to some fulfillment centers.

#64 1 year ago

I love the convenience of Amazon returns to UPS stores; rarely a line or maybe 1 other person in the store and they typically have 2 clerks working. Maybe two minutes total from the time I park until getting back to the car.

For me its 1 mile closer and an easier drive than traveling to Kohls so pretty sure I'll just pay the $1 penalty if its an option.

#65 1 year ago

Used to just keep a few novel items on the shopping list that I could add to my cart when needed to qualify for free shipping- like CDs when they were a thing (ok, I still buy CDs). When the free shipping jumped from $25 to $35 minimum I found myself buying too much unnecessary stuff (do I really need a Tommy Shaw two-disc set?) to make the minimum, so it was actually costing more.

Worth it. And the OP's free year after complaining is an enticing angle...

Bryan Dillon

#66 1 year ago

I’m the type that gets my prime membership back in the no rush shipping digital credit. The kids want a movie? Sure, no cost to me because I ordered toothpaste 7 days before we ran out.

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from Marshall_ry:

I’m the type that gets my prime membership back in the no rush shipping digital credit. The kids want a movie? Sure, no cost to me because I ordered toothpaste 7 days before we ran out.

That may be a leak in my game. I thought the $1 credits were only for books but if they work for movie rentals.....

#68 1 year ago

Walmart service just added they will come pickup your returns. F Amazon and driving to a UPS store or locker to return.

#69 1 year ago

Amazon owns me and I'm probably a lifer.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #70 1 year ago

I don't pay for Prime, I already have more than enough subscriptions. They seem to give me a 30 day trial every year. I always use it before the holidays catch up on shows and order everything I need.

The rage that occasionally 2 days is slightly more than 48 hours is comdey gold. Remember when everything took 4-6 weeks with no tracking. The demands people make on things they don't understand always amuses me.

#71 1 year ago

I don't know what I would do with out it. You can't buy jack shit in the town I live in. If it isn't at Walmart you have to order it.

#72 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The rage that occasionally 2 days is slightly more than 48 hours is comdey gold. Remember when everything took 4-6 weeks with no tracking. The demands people make on things they don't understand always amuses me.

Yup just like Veruca Salt:

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
    #73 1 year ago
    Quoted from BryanD:

Used to just keep a few novel items on the shopping list that I could add to my cart when needed to qualify for free shipping- like CDs when they were a thing (ok, I still buy CDs). When the free shipping jumped from $25 to $35 minimum I found myself buying too much unnecessary stuff (do I really need a Tommy Shaw two-disc set?) to make the minimum, so it was actually costing more.
    Worth it. And the OP's free year after complaining is an enticing angle...
    Bryan Dillon

Do they still do the spend over $35 and get free shipping?

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

For a 3rd party seller to be included in Prime Shipping they have to warehouse their products at an Amazon warehouse giving Amazon control and responsibility for the shipping.

My post does not mention Prime, only third party sellers.

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

That may be a leak in my game. I thought the $1 credits were only for books but if they work for movie rentals.....

Def for movie rentals

#76 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

The demands people make on things they don't understand always amuses me.

They aren't demands; they're what we're paying for. We didn't come up with the idea of 2 day shipping genius.

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

They aren't demands; they're what we're paying for. We didn't come up with the idea of 2 day shipping genius.

That was the point I was trying to make. Thanks

#78 1 year ago

I buy 2-3 items a week, which many times get shipped in separate packages. If I had to pay $5-10 shipping from AMZ or any other online supplier for reach order, those costs would add up fast! $125 seems like a deal in my case. And I have AMZ hubs and distribution centers all over the place, some less than 4 miles of where I live.

#79 1 year ago
    giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #80 1 year ago

I don't believe anything the Amazon customer service reps tell me. I was suppose to get a package in 2 days and when I didn't get it after 3 days, I asked them what happened. They told me it was being held up due to inclement weather conditions. I had looked it up prior and had seen it was sitting at an Amazon hub for 2 days that was 4 miles from my home. The weather was a light sprinkling of rain for the last 2 days. I flat out told her that was a lie. Yes, that may be what she was looking at on her screen that someone else typed in (and I told her that), but it still pissed me off someone can be such a liar.

Having said all that, I like Amazon. I probably save more than the price of membership in gas savings, driving around looking for stuff. Gas in CA is over $4 a gallon. I really like Amazon Video too.

#82 1 year ago
    Quoted from Marshall_ry:

All these years I never figured out how to use that. Where do you go to check your balance on the digital credit and how do yo apply? Inquiring minds want to know...ME.

#83 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Amazon owns me and I'm probably a lifer.[quoted image]

I also have 5 Amazon spy devices in my house. We use them as intercoms throughout the house among other things.

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

I had two sheets of VooDoo glass sent from Cointaker and ship by FedEx on black friday, which wandered around the USA for a few weeks in FEDEX trucks, then vanish entirely after being scanned 25+ times in a FEDEX hub 8 miles from my house. Even the FEDEX tracking number became invalid after those 25 scans in the warehouse. Cointaker was great and offered to ship two more sheets to me (by UPS)... and at no cost to me. I ended up getting that second shipment in 3 days, and I never even heard back from FEDEX about the first shipment.

That's because it shattered and they didn't want to admit it.

#85 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

All these years I never figured out how to use that. Where do you go to check your balance on the digital credit and how do yo apply? Inquiring minds want to know...ME.

Go to my account, then the payments section, then no rush reward balance.

As far as using it… if you have any it will subtract from any amount owed on a digital rental or purchase.

F4F87F8F-CD21-4811-9F15-B293D04FE79D (resized).jpegF4F87F8F-CD21-4811-9F15-B293D04FE79D (resized).jpeg
    #86 1 year ago
    Quoted from Marshall_ry:

Go to my account, then the payments section, then no rush reward balance.
    As far as using it… if you have any it will subtract from any amount owed on a digital rental or purchase.[quoted image]

I went there and don't see anything for digital rewards. Maybe I've used them without knowing, but I would thing I would have some in there.

Edit. So if you have credits there and buy a movie on the TV from Fire Stick it comes form the digital credit automatically if you have money?

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I went there and don't see anything for digital rewards. Maybe I've used them without knowing, but I would thing I would have some in there.
    Edit. So if you have credits there and buy a movie on the TV from Fire Stick it comes form the digital credit automatically if you have money?

Yes, if you buy a movie it will usually show the price minus whatever digital credit you have available. So a lot of times for me it will show $0.00. My kids will say it’s free, but only I know why.

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from Marshall_ry:

Yes, if you buy a movie it will usually show the price minus whatever digital credit you have available. So a lot of times for me it will show $0.00. My kids will say it’s free, but only I know why.

I've never seen that on the TV.

#89 1 year ago
    Quoted from Marshall_ry:

Quoted from RyanStl:

I don't claim to know how it works but I have seen it with my wife renting something...because I gave her shit for no reason aboot it.

#90 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Here’s an example

6F25E298-0EFB-458F-B535-B25BC3710824 (resized).jpeg6F25E298-0EFB-458F-B535-B25BC3710824 (resized).jpeg
    #91 1 year ago
    Quoted from Marshall_ry:

Here’s an example
    [quoted image]

Ummm...you don't own Con Air already WTF?!?!

#92 1 year ago

Thanks. I never really knew how that worked other than getting a some free books on Audible.

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ummm...you don't own Con Air already WTF?!?!

Valid point. I own it now.

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

I had two sheets of VooDoo glass sent from Cointaker and ship by FedEx on black friday, which wandered around the USA for a few weeks in FEDEX trucks, then vanish entirely after being scanned 25+ times in a FEDEX hub 8 miles from my house. Even the FEDEX tracking number became invalid after those 25 scans in the warehouse. Cointaker was great and offered to ship two more sheets to me (by UPS)... and at no cost to me. I ended up getting that second shipment in 3 days, and I never even heard back from FEDEX about the first shipment.

Sorry, what is connection to Amazon prime?

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from Marshall_ry:

Valid point. I own it now.

At a discount...well played.

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from Trogdor:

Sorry, what is connection to Amazon prime?

Screen Shot 2023-04-15 at 12.39.13 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2023-04-15 at 12.39.13 AM (resized).png

#97 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

it's all one package

No, you can just order Prime video

#98 1 year ago

Did you know they killed off smile.amazon.com this year? With smile you could direct a small percentage (0.5% I think) of every purchase price to a charity of your choice. Disappointing that they ended it.

https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/company-news/amazon-closing-amazonsmile-to-focus-its-philanthropic-giving-to-programs-with-greater-impact

-Rob
    -visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement Type 1 sound board for classic Williams games

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from rkahr:

Did you know they killed off smile.amazon.com this year? With smile you could direct a small percentage (0.5% I think) of every purchase price to a charity of your choice. Disappointing that they ended it.
    https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/company-news/amazon-closing-amazonsmile-to-focus-its-philanthropic-giving-to-programs-with-greater-impact
    -Rob
    -visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement Type 1 sound board for classic Williams games

Yes that does suck. A lot of us were directing our smile money to Project Pinball. It wasn't a huge amount of money, but it was still a nice little chunk in a quarterly check for a great charity. I suggest sending money now directly to whatever charity you had in your smile setup on Amazon.

#100 1 year ago

There are so many damn football-stadium-sized fulfillment centers around here that if I order anything on Amazon they *should* have it on my doorstep before I click 'sign out'.

There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-amazon-prime-worth-it/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.