1772EB84-EAEE-4EAE-9EFD-F4A992EB3813 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3443 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20230429_150403722_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20230122_130656283 (resized).jpg
BG After Touch Ups (resized).jpg
Pins2 (resized).jpg
IMG_2774[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_2773[1] (resized).JPG
There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 12 months ago

Hi Everyone, I am realizing that I think I am turning into an EM pinball enthusiast. My first machine was a Stern Flight 2000, followed by a Sega Maverick, and Williams High Speed. I ended up selling the Maverick, but missed all the drop target action. So I took the Maverick funds and bought a Card Whiz and torn apart Fireball. That resulted in me also buying a broken El Dorado, a dirt cheap Time Zone, and the latest addition is Jacks Open. Time Zone is temporarily at my nephew's house and Card Whiz was sold to a nice pinsider.

With the cost of new/modern pinball machines, I'm not able to participate in that. Competition for classic solid state games, System 11 machines, and DMD games is steep and the prices on all of those have increased to levels I could pay, but they aren't cheap and they sell very quickly unless you know someone who directly offers you a machine before it hits the open market.

I enjoy new/modern pinball machines and have a great time with them. If I had a Beatles, TNA, Godzilla, Jurassic Park, or Dead Pool I would play the heck out of it. However, financially that isn't going to happen any time soon and may never happen.

What I'm finding with my collection these days is that I'm playing my EM machines more and more and playing the solid state machines less and less. There is something appealing about the simple objectives of the EM's and the chimes and bells don't get old. I also am enjoying working on these broken EM machines and getting them up and running and playing fast. So working on EM's is pretty fun and I'm slowly getting better at it.

I'm wondering if I will get to the point where I decide to go 100% EM? I'm also wondering if I am alone in this? Any of you guys out there convert over to focusing on EMs after starting out in the solid state world?

IMG_2773[1] (resized).JPGIMG_2773[1] (resized).JPGIMG_2774[1] (resized).JPGIMG_2774[1] (resized).JPG
#2 12 months ago

I love EMs. You got some good drop target games. Now you need a killer spinner game (Williams has a few). The sound of the score reels and chime box trying to keep up with a ripped spinner is magical

#3 12 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Now you need a killer spinner game (Williams has a few).

TreyBo69 You are totally right!!!! I was telling my son and son-in-law that I need to find an EM with a nice spinner. I've played Williams Argosy and Bally Old Chicago and like them a bunch. I've also fixed up my son-in-law's broken Space Mission and that spinner is lots of fun to hit. I need to play Bally EM Night Rider so see if I like that one too.

#4 12 months ago

Grand Prix, Hot Tip, and Aztec are also pretty sweet spinner games. Hokus Pokus has three spinners

#5 12 months ago

Prospector has two spinners in the middle of the playfield that are really fun to rip to build up your bonuses.

#6 12 months ago

EM'S FOREVER.........started playing pinball when there was only EM's in early 70's then @ 77-78 the "digital" scoring came out and no more chimes and bells and start-up sounds were gone, just boop and bop sounds, and made the machines sound flatt, although the scoring was right there ie if you knocked down 2 targets on one shot you got credit for both targets as well as the spinners, that didn't happen with the EM'S, but it felt like the fun wasn't there anymore,....see if you can score a Gottlieb's Big Shot great game and keep hitting them

#7 12 months ago

I think when it comes to enjoyment factory it's hard to beat EM or early SS in terms of cost. While newer machines are filled with bells and whistles, at the end of the day most playfields are the same size (43 x 21) and in modern machines for the most part ramps and toys are just replacing other shots as opposed to being 'add ons' since space is set in stone. Paying 7-10k for a new machine when some of these EM's can be had for $500 if you don't mind fixing them and it's a no brainer

#8 12 months ago

I've taken a similar path. Restoring EMs is really enjoyable for me. Short, hard to master games really work with my brain for whatever reason. 2" flippers forever!

#9 12 months ago

Started out with 3 solid states over 20 years ago and then bought a couple of ems and enjoyed them but opened the hood and was overwhelmed by the hundreds of switches and miles of wire. But the more I worked on them. learned to read and understand schematics the more I loved them. Now I just collect and play ems and especially woodrails. I grew up with bells and chimes and remain addicted.

#10 12 months ago

I hear what you guys are saying. The $200 broken Time Zone that I bought from a local pinsider has been the most pinball fun for the money that I've ever had. Getting them flipping is as much fun as playing them.

#11 12 months ago

Bally Bow and Arrow looks fun too.

#12 12 months ago

EMs are absolutely terrific, and your lineup is killer! It's going to be hard to compete with what you already have. There's something even more visceral about them.

#13 12 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Hell yes!

#14 12 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I restored a Bow and Arrow playfield for my buddy and its a blast, dual spinners directly into the pops!!! Get outta hereeeeeee!!!

#15 12 months ago

DanMarino, it has been very cool watching your "sickness" grow over the last year or so. As you know I'm a Time Zone fan too! Wouldn't mind me a Fireball one day too! My first pin was a Sapce Time and the first time I lifted the playfield, it was a tad overwhelming but also utterly facinating. I love how they were designed with a 10 year lifetime in mind yet still run decades later!

When you see someone state "and I like working on them as puch as playing", they are totally hooked on EM's. Like many of us

What kills early SS games for me is the very early digital sounds. I prefer the chimes and bells as well.

The simplicity of the EM playfield coupled with the intended short ball times make them the ultimate challenge. The margin of error can be quite small depending on the table design. And there are times you almost instantly know you screwed up hitting the flipper button just a hair too early or a hair too late and will result in a drain.

And many are also very cool works of art in themselves.

The line up has changed a bit since this pic. Gold Strike was cool but not a keeper for me but a great table layout. And the Gridiron was replaced with a 4MBC.

I love EM's.
Pins2 (resized).jpgPins2 (resized).jpg

#16 12 months ago

Shhhh, EMs are supposed to be a secret. Please leave some wedgeheads for me

#17 12 months ago

EMs are so appealing in so many ways. They’re fun to work on, to play, to restore, they’re more affordable, they don’t take huge lengths of time to play, they’re generally readily repairable once you understand them, and, contrary to what many may think, there’s a lot of diversity among them. Once you restore/fine-tune them the way you like, they can be fast and a blast.

I did start with EMs, but early on I once got a SS. Three things went wrong with it in the first couple weeks I had it (I found out later it had a bunch of hacks on it) and I couldn’t fix it, so I quickly sold it. I decided then and there that it was only EMs for me, and I’m glad I did!

#18 12 months ago

I just bought my first EM yesterday.
It was called Nags. Wish me luck.

#19 12 months ago
Quoted from mslow:

It was called Nags.

That’s a valuable pin! And a very cool one!

#20 12 months ago

Sell the Fireball, get a Four Million BC would be my advice.

#21 12 months ago
Quoted from mslow:

I just bought my first EM yesterday.
It was called Nags. Wish me luck.

One of my all time faves. Well done.

#22 12 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I'm wondering if I will get to the point where I decide to go 100% EM? I'm also wondering if I am alone in this?

You should attend Pintastic New England. There are several 100%-EM collectors who bring games to show off (and some to sell).
.................David Marston

#23 12 months ago

The York Show (White Rose Game Room Show) is generally mostly EM. That’s why I make the trip from Michigan every year.

#24 12 months ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Prospector has two spinners in the middle of the playfield that are really fun to rip to build up your bonuses.

Probably my favorite EM. Wish mine was working.

#25 12 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Probably my favorite EM. Wish mine was working.

Only reason I let mine go was because it went to a local friend who loves em’s, and I can still play it often. Building up both the silver and gold collections and then cashing in, is just a ton of fun.

#26 12 months ago
Quoted from wolverinetuner:

EMs are so appealing in so many ways. They’re fun to work on,

No they aren't. I"m lost on them.

#27 12 months ago

if you love EMs, Rob Berk has been bringing some beautiful examples to Expo the past few years (I think they are his). Not only are they beautiful, but they are wonderful players.

#28 12 months ago

I do like the games that are quick and mean more than the more modern approach.

I have a Gottlieb 4 Square that is pure pinball fun.

I also like early solid state machines quite a bit.

I also have to get my "project machine" Gigi working. It has been sitting way too long. . .

#29 12 months ago

Early SS? Joker Poker gets my vote.

#30 12 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

if you love EMs, Rob Berk has been bringing some beautiful examples to Expo the past few years (I think they are his). Not only are they beautiful, but they are wonderful players.

Say what? Since when do any of the games he brings to a show even work correctly?

#31 12 months ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

Sell the Fireball, get a Four Million BC would be my advice.

Good advice

#32 12 months ago

Fireball isn’t going anywhere!!! Same with El Dorado. Jacks Open is a tough one and makes me keep coming back for more punishment. Haha

#33 12 months ago

Nice games!
You need a Williams Grand Prix for the spinners.

#34 12 months ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Nice games!

Selling yours?

#35 12 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

Thank goodness. I'm still enjoying the Night Rider. It's got the perfect balance of drops and spinners for me. So many games are heavily focused on one or the other. You need to shoot both to do well and I like the variation.

#36 12 months ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Thank goodness. I'm still enjoying the Night Rider. It's got the perfect balance of drops and spinners for me. So many games are heavily focused on one or the other. You need to shoot both to do well and I like the variation.

I've had my eye out for one for that same reason.

Kinda been a struggle for me to figure out which to chose escpecially when you have limited space.

And through the years it's funny how your prefernces may change, mine have. Had no idea I was a Bally fan at heart until the last year or so.

Thinking about letting the Aztec go but torn about what EM to replace it with.

As an art package the Old Chicago just does it for me. Like Wizard, just top notch work of the era from Mad Dog. But I've never palyed one.

Grand Prix has my interest as well. I do love the spinner on the Aztec but the table design makes it a very tough game with some very short ball times. Never played a GP.

Night Rider has the drops and spinners and the over the top buzzer?!! Seems like a good layout. The artwork is ok and fits the era. Haven't played one.

We shall see what the "for sale" ad gods in my area bless me with, hopefully soon

#37 12 months ago

What is some of your guys favorite "single player" Gottlieb's & Williams pins with spinners?

#38 12 months ago

IMO the biggest mistake people make in this hobby is to focus on
and collect only one type of pin. Based on the chatter here, often NIB
Sterns. There were decades of really good and very unique pins made
and exploring them is a big part of the fun.

Congrats on discovering the joys of EM's. LOTS to choose from!
My personal faves here are ' Aztec, Fireball, Capt Fantastic and
just about any Gottleib made in the 1950's and '60's.

#39 12 months ago

I would take an Old Chicago in a second. Fun game, cool layout with the pops, spinner, kickout hole, drops. Cool artwork. Bally. Meets all the requirements.

I wish Card Whiz/Royal Flush had a spinner on that left side to get back up to the jokers.

I have never played a wedgehead that has a spinner.

#more spinners and drop targets are always the answer

#40 12 months ago

Fun Land, and the rarer add a ball version Fun Park are pretty good spinner wedge heads.

I have a Buccaneer and it is good, but I think the add a ball version Ship Ahoy is the one to get.

#41 12 months ago

I used to stay away from em's because of the stigma - slow playing, not exciting....then we did pinball league at a guy's house who had nothing but em's and within a month I had 2.

Sold Aztec (shouldn't have, fun game), still have Grand Prix, Old Chicago and Alladin's Castle, as well as the ss version of Night Rider.

#42 12 months ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Nice games!

You misspelled Liberty Bell.

#43 12 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I used to stay away from em's because of the stigma - slow playing, not exciting....then we did pinball league at a guy's house who had nothing but em's and within a month I had 2.
Sold Aztec (shouldn't have, fun game), still have Grand Prix, Old Chicago and Alladin's Castle, as well as the ss version of Night Rider.

You could have a nice Aztec back if you'd consider letting one of those EM's go

BG After Touch Ups (resized).jpgBG After Touch Ups (resized).jpg
#44 12 months ago

Uh oh!

And you are dangerously close to me! I could be there in 45 minutes!

#45 12 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Uh oh!
And you are dangerously close to me! I could be there in 45 minutes!

I'm not joking around, PM if you are even remotely tempted.

#46 12 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I have never played a wedgehead that has a spinner.
#more spinners and drop targets are always the answer

Find a Golden Arrow if you can.

#47 12 months ago
Quoted from Garrett:

I'm not joking around, PM if you are even remotely tempted.

i might be remotely tempted in BUYING it, but i hate letting games go.....

#48 12 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

i might be remotely tempted in BUYING it, but i hate letting games go.....

We all do, that's why we're here.

#49 12 months ago
Quoted from Methos:

To each his own. For me, it’s very gratifying to take a hopelessly sluggish/stuck stepper, take it apart, clean, lubricate, reassemble the components, adjust the switches, and watch it work like new.

#50 12 months ago

I love seeing an EM topic with the little flame next to it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.00
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-think-i-m-becoming-an-em-pinball-enthusiast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.