IMG_1378 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1382 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1380 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1377 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9839 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-7 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-6 (resized).jpg
s-l1600-3 (resized).jpg
There are 2,345 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 47.
#1 10 years ago

I know there are at least a few of us who like this game, so let's celebrate this under-rated gem.

Since it's a club, let's keep the negative opinions out.

This can be a good place to discuss Hook, share mods, and ask for technical assistance.

I haven't had the game long, but am really enjoying it. I've bought Cliffys, but will have to build up my Skull hole before I can install that one.

I've added illuminated flipper buttons, Cliffy colored post sleeves, and some blue star posts under the slingshot plastics. I'm not sure if mine had stock hardware, but the metal posts it had under the plastics were ugly. I may end up replacing the other metal posts around the game.

I tried adding a few pics, but my phone doesn't like it. I'll get some uploaded when I get a chance.

#2 10 years ago

I particularly like HOOK. The last thread I saw evolved into negative, outright hate for the game.
Cant we all just get along?

"I Hate, I Hate, I Hate, Peter Pan!"

Uh-oh, even the game has hate built in LOL

No, actually Hook is a good game, nice graphics,etc. It has its downsides but we wont go there.
And its a reliable Data East product with not many technical quirks to stop it from working.

#3 10 years ago

i really liked my game sold it a week ago and already miss it ! i dont get why it is so under rated ? my family and i really liked playing it

#4 10 years ago

Here's a few pics of my mods.

Once I finish up my T-REX mod for JP, I've got some ideas for a few things that could be improved on Hook.

IMG_20140328_201905.jpgIMG_20140328_201905.jpg
IMG_20140328_201913.jpgIMG_20140328_201913.jpg
IMG_20140328_201832.jpgIMG_20140328_201832.jpg

#5 10 years ago

The only game I've ever sold that my wife won't forgive me for. I really like the artwork, one of the best in my opinions.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from cigarbob:

sold it a week ago

Your Hook Club membership is revoked!

I'm new enough to the hobby and apparently have enough room, though my fiancee might beg to differ, that I haven't had to sell or trade anything. I imagine no matter what title, I'll have some kind of seller's remorse, but hopefully it means a new exciting pin to take its place.

#8 10 years ago

I've got a hook and like it quite a bit. The rule set is a bit shallow and still manages to be fun to play. I definitely recommend this game as an entry level pin not only due to it's usually cheap price, but the shallow rule set makes it a great game for someone just getting into pins. (Your kids will likely love this machine.)

This game is about to get a playfield swap and this pic was taken before replacing the plastics. (New plastics are red instead of the faded orange you see here.) I'll have to take an updated pic once I get everything back together.
Hook Playfield.jpgHook Playfield.jpg

#9 10 years ago

I have a soft spot for Hook. Back in my first heavy dive into Pins, I went to a factory rep given class for Data East at the now long defunct Mondial Amusments in Norwood MA. The pin that had just been released was Hook. I took the day long class and all my notes were written in a brand new factory manual. I still have that manual.

A few months back, thanks to Shacklersrevenge, I got a hold of a Hook of my own.

Red lighted translucent flippers
Fully LED'd
Blue Super Bands on flippers
Cliffy's on all VUKS.
Cliffy post rubbers
Lexan plastic washers to protect all plastics.
New sling plastics.
Black leg bolts and new lockdown bar.

DSC01164.JPGDSC01164.JPG

DSC01166.JPGDSC01166.JPG

#10 10 years ago

Has anyone looked into chaser light mods? I bet it wouldn't be too hard to change to another color, like blue. Could be cool with RGB leds...

#11 10 years ago

WOOHOO! Add one to the Hook club.

#12 10 years ago

I'm new to the Hook club as of two weeks ago. I received mine as a gift (I know..."Nice gift!") from a friend. I really love Hook and so does my family.

My machine is currently half-LED (that's what the previous owner did) and is missing the rope light.

Also, like most Hooks the Rufio ramp is cracked.

I think (and maybe I'll open a thread on it) Hook is a ruleset rewrite away from being a much higher ranked game. I think it has some fun shots could certainly be challenging if you were prompted to hit things in different series and combinations.

Mostly, I'm just stoked to be a part of this pretty darn exclusive club.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from MattBunk:

I think (and maybe I'll open a thread on it) Hook is a ruleset rewrite away from being a much higher ranked game. I think it has some fun shots could certainly be challenging if you were prompted to hit things in different series and combinations.

I invite you to discuss a change in rules here. We'd have to get someone like ChadH of Star Wars and currently JP fame on board. I bet he'll want a break after JP, though! I think a challenge might be that many of the scores or whatever are listed on the PF, so I don't think it would be good to rewrite anything that changes the specific scores, but maybe rather the way you score. Like maybe hit the right ramp, hit the skull, and hit the ball lock to light up the 3 Million on the windcoaster for a couple seconds.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I invite you to discuss a change in rules here. We'd have to get someone like ChadH of Star Wars and currently JP fame on board. I bet he'll want a break after JP, though! I think a challenge might be that many of the scores or whatever are listed on the PF, so I don't think it would be good to rewrite anything that changes the specific scores, but maybe rather the way you score. Like maybe hit the right ramp, hit the skull, and hit the ball lock to light up the 3 Million on the windcoaster for a couple seconds.

Exactly.

I'm newer to the forums. Do people care that much about the scoring? They're making me feel stupid in another post because I asked about karma points and they say nobody cares about them.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from MattBunk:

Exactly.
I'm newer to the forums. Do people care that much about the scoring? They're making me feel stupid in another post because I asked about karma points and they say nobody cares about them.

I honestly don't know what the specific complaints about Hook are, but I guess if we're going down that road, it maybe should be in another thread or people may just start trashing Hook here. I guess if you're going to say something you don't like, you have to pair it with something you do like!

I love the ramps and the shots on this game. I really like the left outlane kickback and that you can reactivate it by hitting the correct target. I like that activating multiball isn't too difficult, but even if you activate it, landing the skill shots isn't a given, so you might not even come out with 3 balls every time. I love the skill shot!

I'm curious what plunger spring people use. I think I'm on a standard spring, but the tension feels too high. The slightest pull back can result in the ball shooting all the way past the third hole in the skill shot, so there's very little variation in plunger movement between the 3 shots and an all out miss for me. Are people using the lightest springs available (Blue?)?

I'm still pretty new to the game, and really only have JP to compare it to. Hook seems to have some similar rules going on. Both have you start a mode by locking it in with one shot and activating it with another. They both have a main multiball mode that gives you specific jackpot objectives. I guess JP's modes are a bit more robust and have some progressive goals. The Tri-ball on JP has a progression to 6 ball (not an option in Hook), and I guess there's the ultimate objective of System Shutdown, but I'm not sure whether or not Hook has an ultimate objective.

#16 10 years ago

I honestly don't know what the specific complaints about Hook are, but I guess if we're going down that road, it maybe should be in another thread or people may just start trashing Hook here. I guess if you're going to say something you don't like, you have to pair it with something you do like!
I love the ramps and the shots on this game. I really like the left outlane kickback and that you can reactivate it by hitting the correct target. I like that activating multiball isn't too difficult, but even if you activate it, landing the skill shots isn't a given, so you might not even come out with 3 balls every time. I love the skill shot!
I'm curious what plunger spring people use. I think I'm on a standard spring, but the tension feels too high. The slightest pull back can result in the ball shooting all the way past the third hole in the skill shot, so there's very little variation in plunger movement between the 3 shots and an all out miss for me. Are people using the lightest springs available (Blue?)?
I'm still pretty new to the game, and really only have JP to compare it to. Hook seems to have some similar rules going on. Both have you start a mode by locking it in with one shot and activating it with another. They both have a main multiball mode that gives you specific jackpot objectives. I guess JP's modes are a bit more robust and have some progressive goals. The Tri-ball on JP has a progression to 6 ball (not an option in Hook), and I guess there's the ultimate objective of System Shutdown, but I'm not sure whether or not Hook has an ultimate objective.

I definitely have the same sensitive spring issue. I didn't even know they made a lighter gauge. I might have to check it out.

I agree, don't want to turn this into a bash thread. I'll let you know if I start that other thread. For having a run of over 6500, I thought there would be more owners on here.

Maybe we just need to help them come out of the woodwork.

#17 10 years ago

I really like this game! Nice pickup!

#18 10 years ago

This is a must. The hook I had had tastefull LEDs throughout and it really made it pop. I haven't seen one without them but the PF is pretty dark so they help a lot. I didn't particularly care for it so I sold it, but it is a good game for the price.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

They only game I've ever sold that my wife won't forgive me for. I really like the artwork, one of the best in my opinions.

well you need to pick one up, and make her happy again.

is it me, or is Hook one of the nicest looking pins out there? cabinet/playfield/bg wise ?

#20 10 years ago

I'm in the club. One of my favorite pins and the least expensive. I'm not really a very good pinball player yet. I don't do the tournaments and probably never will. Just starting to really try to learn ball control. I agree the art is fantastic and that a fun game for new players. If I were selling the collection off I'd probably sell this one last. It's a lot of fun for the buck.

Did a shop job on mine recently and didn't mod anything since I couldn't think of anything to do. Looking forward to some great ideas from this thread. The parts are certainly not easy to fin fans no premise mods available.

#21 10 years ago

I had a very nice one at one point, upgraded to the LED display. I still think this and TOTAN are the two most beautiful machines to look at. This machine, LED'd, while in attract mode is stunning. Yeah, the rules were freshly breaching into "modes" at this time, and thus not deep, but a fun game to play

#22 10 years ago

I agree that Hook is a fun game. I enjoyed it back in the day and plan to restore mine with NOS play field and plastics. I have some extra nos and used parts if anyone is interested let me know.

#23 10 years ago

Here's my Hook project I've got going on right now. Not too terrible, definitely need to hit the playfield with Novus 2 (I usually use Novus 1) to get that engrained dirt out. Ramps are in good shape, but very cloudy. Kind of hesitant to wash them with soap and water because of the rope lights, I'll probably end up re-attaching those afterwards. Putting LEDs in the GI, standard fare. Gonna hit the ramps with a good flame polishing too. Also gonna upgrade the bumpers to Sega mechs with self cleaning switches. Gonna add Cliffy scoop protectors, new bats, and Super Bands as well.

Anyone happen to have decals for the shooter lane ramp, or scans of decals? Plus I also want to upgrade the flippers to use linear springs, can that be done by adding the spring tabs?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-6663-02

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-933.jpgimage-933.jpg
image-996.jpgimage-996.jpg
image-232.jpgimage-232.jpg

#24 10 years ago

Anyone looking for a hook play field as wall art? Pm me.

#25 10 years ago

Man, I sure do miss my Hook and I have been looking for another one since.

#26 10 years ago

Probably my favorite DE game. Had one years ago. Don't miss it as I don't play that much at home, but when I can play one at an event or location I sure will.

#27 10 years ago

Would like a Hook as well. I have a Dr. Dude to trade.

#28 10 years ago

Ditto...Hook has one of the best art on a pinball that I've seen, yes too bad the game's rule set wasn't all that great. Game looks awesome with LEDs.

#29 10 years ago

Mine was beautiful! Full cointaker kit, beautiful! Traded her for funds on White Water.

#30 10 years ago

I would absolutely love to see a ruleset rewrite!

#31 10 years ago

Noticed a small gap just about the last weapon target before the ball gets to the 5 million trap on the upper left. The ball somehow jumped up and got stuck under the wind coaster ramp.

Since I just got the machine, I don't know if I'm missing a piece that supposed to prevent that. There does appear to be an exposed threaded bolt there. I could alway put a cliffy on it.

Just curious what is supposed to be there.

#32 10 years ago

Finally got some more time for my Hook project. Turning out pretty nice so far. Marco doesn't have the double yellow posts so I went with orange. Novus 2 powers through that dirt like nothing else I've ever seen! There was a thick line of dirt over the rollover inserts.

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-120.jpgimage-120.jpg
image-451.jpgimage-451.jpg
image-818.jpgimage-818.jpg
image-421.jpgimage-421.jpg
image-517.jpgimage-517.jpg

#33 10 years ago

I'm guessing this came out around 1993. Somewhere around LW3. Pumped a lot of quarters into it back then. Haven't played it since but I know I'd add it to the lineup once I get a few others I'm looking for first.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

I'm guessing this came out around 1993. Somewhere around LW3. Pumped a lot of quarters into it back then. Haven't played it since but I know I'd add it to the lineup once I get a few others I'm looking for first.

Close - it was 1992 if I recall. It was built right after DEST, which I have as well and it advertises Hook as their next machine. Hook advertises LW3 as the machine after.

Quoted from rstrunks:

I have some extra nos and used parts if anyone is interested let me know.

What kind of stuff do you have?

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from KillyKillall:

It was built right after DEST, which I have as well and it advertises Hook as their next machine. Hook advertises LW3 as the machine after.

And do you also have a strange urge to buy LW3 because of that.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from KillyKillall:

What kind of stuff do you have?

He has a separate thread here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nos-data-east-hook-plastics-and-various-used-hook-parts#post-1582862

I bought some of the stuff, so I can vouch for rstrunks.

#37 10 years ago

Hook has been suggested to me several times now. I don't own a Hook and have only played it very little so I am unfamiliar with the rules... but any suggestions for changes posted to this thread to make the game better would, at the very least, be filed away for future reference.

#38 10 years ago

Hmmm, so what your saying is I have to invite you over for some pizza, beer, and Hook, huh?

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Hook has been suggested to me several times now. I don't own a Hook and have only played it very little so I am unfamiliar with the rules... but any suggestions for changes posted to this thread to make the game better would, at the very least, be filed away for future reference.

With your current track record, but maybe especially after the JP changes, it seems like you could drum up enough support to crowd source your purchase of a Hook... I'd donate!

Having said that, I suppose there would need to be some constructive conversation about what should change. I currently have a difficult time thinking of anything.

#40 10 years ago

Well the big ramp is obvious.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Well the big ramp is obvious.

Not to me... What's the issue?

#42 10 years ago

Well you can spam the ramp for increasing millions... Where have we seen that one before?

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Well you can spam the ramp for increasing millions... Where have we seen that one before?

Maybe I'm just a terrible player, but I don't seem to be able to keep making that shot consecutively up to the 3 million very often.

I'm still pretty new to pinball, so is that something seen in another game?

#44 10 years ago

Maybe I'm just a terrible player, but I don't seem to be able to keep making that shot consecutively up to the 3 million very often.
I'm still pretty new to pinball, so is that something seen in another game?

It was in Star Wars and it was way overpowered since the ramp shot in Star Wars is pretty easy to loop. Of course, that was fixed.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

It was in Star Wars and it was way overpowered since the ramp shot in Star Wars is pretty easy to loop. Of course, that was fixed.

Yeah, I can get it on Hook, but I have a hard time keeping the rhythm going for long. It starts to count back down pretty quickly.

1 month later
#46 9 years ago

Just picked up Hook today!! Looking forward to many many hours of playing. Planning on doing a complete led light mod. If anyone has any tips please let me know.

#47 9 years ago

Just installed Super Bands on the new flippers I dropped in. Easy process and looks great.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-321.jpgimage-321.jpg
#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Just installed Super Bands on the new flippers I dropped in. Easy process and looks great.

I just put the blue ones on last night. It does feel a bit like cheating on this game for sure.

#49 9 years ago

Any one have a right Ramp?

#50 9 years ago

Nope.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

5,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bremerton, WA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,345 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hook-club-hook-is-back and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.