Untitled (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231012-154059 (resized).png
IMG_0628 (resized).png
PXL_20231012_163433399 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231012_163429106 (resized).jpg
sping (resized).jpg
gtb-a2522a (resized).jpg
#1 7 months ago

I found this thing on market place for $400. For the most part it looks like it's all there, but there are signs of some hacking. I'm just about to order a schematic and wanted to know if the 0-9 Unit is the right one for this game. There is a bell on the bottom, but no mechanism to ding it. Is it just a generic unit they put on all the machines, but this one doesn't use it? BTW, The coil looks like it started on fire. Overall it looks to be in good shape and it advances smoothly when you press the lever the coil is supposed to push. Please don't tell this coil can't be replaced, I'll cry.

PXL_20231004_182123548 (resized).jpgPXL_20231004_182123548 (resized).jpgPXL_20231004_182135569 (resized).jpgPXL_20231004_182135569 (resized).jpg
#2 7 months ago

I'm also new to EM pinball but can tell you that your missing a couple of parts. My 1963 Gottlieb Slick Chick is similar/same to your 0-9 unit. My uneducated eye can see that you missing a lot of parts. The first major one is stepper coil with it's plunger, housing/stop and hardware (Red Circle) and the bell clapper (Green Circle).
missing_0-9 (resized).jpgmissing_0-9 (resized).jpg

Here's a complete image I found on the internet that shows what it should look like:
0-9 (resized).jpg0-9 (resized).jpg

I don't have the parts catalog that has the part numbers. Per PBResource, the clapper part number is A2522A. Here's the picture from the PBR webpage:
gtb-a2522a (resized).jpggtb-a2522a (resized).jpg

Here's the link to the page that has the clapper:
https://www.pbresource.com/bells.html

#3 7 months ago

You're going to need to get a part diagram for the 0-9 unit which will be in the Gottlieb 1968 Parts Catalog which is also available at PBR:

https://www.pbresource.com/books.html#gtbpc68

Just notice you're missing a spring (Red circle) that needed to attached the clapper:
sping (resized).jpgsping (resized).jpg

When I worked on my, I watched the following video that help me out greatly:

#4 7 months ago

Thank you. This was incredibly helpful to get me started. I removed the coil already. It looked like it started on fire at one point. I found something else too. Somebody removed the bell in the center of this area and replaced it with a Williams chime system. The parts catalog should help with that too. Other than that the pin doesn't seem to be modified or missing anything. Of coarse it doesn't work hardly at all. The scoring motor doesn't even turn.

I'll get that catalog ordered.

#5 7 months ago

If I were you, I'd also order a new set of springs for it and throughly clean it so it steps smoothly. And clean the snowshoes ( brass sprung plungers on the bakelite disc) to make sure the slide nicely over the rivets. Use a very thin smear of PBR grease or similar over the rivets to help it along. In fact, do the same for any other stepper units in the machines they are often a prime suspect when a machine doesnt work too well.

#6 7 months ago

If you're not aware, Clay's site has a ton of information. www.pinrepair.com

#7 7 months ago

Thanks everybody. I have some dielectric grease, the catalog, and some springs on the way. I can tell already this is going to be a $2,000+ project.

1 week later
#8 7 months ago

I pretty much took apart the machine so it can sit on the bench with some good light. I found all the parts I needed for the 0-9 and it seems to be working smoothly now.

I cleaned all the switches on the bottom board and noticed a few wires loose in the middle. The schematics say the BL-YL wire goes to a knocker. Did one of the past owners add a bell to the bottom for 100 points bell or is this some other hack? I've never had this machine running but it looks like the bell on the 0-9 is for 1 point. The bell that was missing in the back is for 10 and 100? If the past owner already had some hack for a 5" bell or what ever in the lower part, should I just buy one and add it to the game? I might be completely wrong what the wires are for.

PXL_20231012_163429106 (resized).jpgPXL_20231012_163429106 (resized).jpgPXL_20231012_163433399 (resized).jpgPXL_20231012_163433399 (resized).jpg
#9 7 months ago

The Knocker should have a Blue-Yellow wire going to it.
The 10s & 100s bell should have a Black-Red wire going to it.

#10 7 months ago
Quoted from HowardR:

The Knocker should have a Blue-Yellow wire going to it.
The 10s & 100s bell should have a Black-Red wire going to it.

I tried to find as many pictures as I could and watched some restoration videos. I don't see a knocker in this game. Is it possible the wires are simply not used in North Star? I'm guessing it's a generic wiring harness and the old owner just had something wired to it at one time. If they are not used I'll clip them off and tape them up so they don't short anything.

#11 7 months ago

The knocker is mounted on the left rear of the cabinet, near the transformer.

IMG_0628 (resized).pngIMG_0628 (resized).png
#12 7 months ago

Thank you! I see the screw holes where it used to be now. I'll get that ordered.

#14 7 months ago

Much cheaper at pbresource.com.

Screenshot_20231012-154059 (resized).pngScreenshot_20231012-154059 (resized).png
#15 7 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Much cheaper at pbresource.com.

Be sure to buy the coil and plunger which need to be selected separately if you buy from PBR.

#16 7 months ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Be sure to buy the coil and plunger which need to be selected separately if you buy from PBR.

Hmm. I'll have to check that. It shows a complete assembly. Maybe he's offering the coil and plunger separately if you only want those components.

#17 7 months ago

I just got off the phone with Steve. The price is for the entire assembly, including the coil and plunger. He offers those parts separately if you need them to repair an existing assembly (if you have the bracket, but need a coil and/or plunger).

#18 7 months ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I just got off the phone with Steve. The price is for the entire assembly, including the coil and plunger. He offers those parts separately if you need them to repair an existing assembly (if you have the bracket, but need a coil and/or plunger).

Then that is a great deal.

I suspect that the part that Marco is selling was purchased from PBR.

#19 7 months ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I suspect that the part that Marco is selling was purchased from PBR.

That is correct.

#20 7 months ago
Quoted from Scottopus:

You're going to need to get a part diagram for the 0-9 unit which will be in the Gottlieb 1968 Parts Catalog which is also available at PBR:
https://www.pbresource.com/books.html#gtbpc68
Just notice you're missing a spring (Red circle) that needed to attached the clapper:
[quoted image]
When I worked on my, I watched the following video that help me out greatly:

Just watched that video. Kim (goatshed pinball)
is so informative. I had the pleasure of meeting him, and even dining out with him at last year's York show. I even handled Spanky the Goat!

#21 7 months ago

Everything is back together and the game sort of plays. Flippers, bumpers, etc... all work.

If I add scores manually by flipping the coils they reset when the game starts. That's good.

Scores don't register at all by playing the game. You can hear the score motor running and acting like it should.

If you hit certain targets the 0-9 Unit coil will fire, but sticks open and makes a horrible sound. I guess this is why it was burned up when I bought it.

What would cause no scores and the 0-9 coil to stick?

#22 7 months ago
Quoted from PatrickVerner:

and the 0-9 coil to stick?

If you're talking about the 0-9 score reel, the two most common issues are (1) a stuck playfield switch and (2) its end-of-stroke switch not opening

#23 7 months ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If you're talking about the 0-9 score reel, the two most common issues are (1) a stuck playfield switch and (2) its end-of-stroke switch not opening

No, it's the 0-9 Unit. It's on most of the 60's Gottlieb machines. There isn't any reels on it.

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg
#24 7 months ago

The 0-9 stepper unit is activated by either the 1 Point (N) relay or the 10 Point (M) relay. Are either of those sticking when this happens?

#25 7 months ago
Quoted from HowardR:

The 0-9 stepper unit is activated by either the 1 Point (N) relay or the 10 Point (M) relay. Are either of those sticking when this happens?

One of the switches on the 10 point relay needed to be adjusted. It wasn't closing tight enough. The coil doesn't stick anymore. Yay!

The scoring is starting to work. All the bumpers score. It seems like you can't score 5 points though. The 5 point relay opens and the score motor turns. You also can't score with the knockouts.

#26 7 months ago

A switch was out of adjustment on the scoring motor. It was in the bank closest to the "total play meter". Five points works now.

#27 7 months ago

This took me some major time to figure out. The replay unit didn't seem to do much. It would just stick on one number. Sometimes it would add a play for no reason when a game ended. Somebody already cobbled up a free play hack and then set the "Match Feature" to "IN". Made the machine act funny when a game was over. After hours of messing with switches and cleaning/adjusting stuff, all I had to do was move the setting for the "Match Feature" to "OUT". Doh!

Have some more cosmetic parts that were broken and warped coming from PBR and I think it's done. Man, I wouldn't be surprised if I had 15 hours just cleaning stuff. Everything was just all corroded/rusty dirty. I'll post some pictures when it's done.

#28 7 months ago

Solved some more problems with the replay unit. Somebody bent the switch for freeplay and I didn't notice how critical it is for the "zero" switch to be perfectly timed with the teeth. The first switch was opening before the tooth was fully engaged and the coil would lose power 1/2 stroke and not engage the second switch. The second problem was a fiber spacer was missing and I would get a 1/2 a zero in the display. Just looked bad. I also went through and recleaned jones plugs that were effecting the match feature. The only remaining problem is quarters don't work. Even if you manually close the switch. The machine is 100% functional other than the credits.

This project would have been nearly impossible without Pinball Resource existing. It's hard to believe I can buy quality parts for a 60 year game.

#29 7 months ago

quarters don't work. Even if you manually close the switch

Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
Be careful because this circuit runs on 120 volts
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-repair#post-6305153
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

#30 7 months ago

Broken wire. Dimes and quarters both work now.

I did lose the playfield lights for some reason. Fuses are all good. I guess I'm back tracking to three weeks ago. LOL

#31 7 months ago

Broken wire. Dimes and quarters both work now.
I did lose the playfield lights for some reason. Fuses are all good. I guess I'm back tracking to three weeks ago. LOL

Try cleaning and re-seating your jones plugs. Or fuse holder may not have enough tension?

#32 7 months ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Try cleaning and re-seating your jones plugs. Or fuse holder may not have enough tension?

It was one of those deals where the fuse holder would have continuity, but not good enough. No matter how much I tried cleaning it, it just wouldn't work. It was pinching the fuse to the point it was hard to get out. I don't like replacing original stuff, but I replaced the fuse holder. This took me about 3 hours to figure out. The play boards lights are back. The machine is now 100% functional and works really well. I have some new chrome corner pieces, some blinkers for the star, and new glass coming. The corner pieces look like somebody was crewing on them and they had some old duct tape on them. Just looked too bad to save. The glass is scratched worse than any pinball I have ever seen. I don't think this game originally came with any blinkers, but I thought they would look cool behind the star. The cabinet is really beat up and scratched, but it still looks good enough for it's age. I won't be painting it.

#33 7 months ago

It was one of those deals where the fuse holder would have continuity, but not good enough. No matter how much I tried cleaning it, it just wouldn't work. It was pinching the fuse to the point it was hard to get out. I don't like replacing original stuff, but I replaced the fuse holder. This took me about 3 hours to figure out. The play boards lights are back. The machine is now 100% functional and works really well. I have some new chrome corner pieces, some blinkers for the star, and new glass coming. The corner pieces look like somebody was crewing on them and they had some old duct tape on them. Just looked too bad to save. The glass is scratched worse than any pinball I have ever seen. I don't think this game originally came with any blinkers, but I thought they would look cool behind the star. The cabinet is really beat up and scratched, but it still looks good enough for it's age. I won't be painting it.

It's one of the best Gottlieb wedgeheads ever made. I'm glad you got it all straightened out.
You'll have a blast with it. Post some photos of it.

#34 7 months ago

It's all done for now. I plan to have it out in the arcade on Wednesday for the people in my town to enjoy.

Facebook page with video. (playing one handed)

https://www.facebook.com/MousesArtSupplyAndStudio/posts/pfbid0yKpqTi22EGr7hg5SnZ49LRuwankvCkFqEDV3YHFCYezbTieCbGJYmEgvRs6aUsdal?mibextid=YxdKMJ

PXL_20231023_223155836.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20231023_223155836.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20231023_223204764.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20231023_223204764.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20231023_223500787.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20231023_223500787.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20231023_223551618 (resized).jpgPXL_20231023_223551618 (resized).jpgPXL_20231023_223556494 (resized).jpgPXL_20231023_223556494 (resized).jpgPXL_20231023_223605039 (resized).jpgPXL_20231023_223605039 (resized).jpgPXL_20231023_223614673 (resized).jpgPXL_20231023_223614673 (resized).jpgPXL_20231023_223619226 (resized).jpgPXL_20231023_223619226 (resized).jpg
#35 7 months ago

Thanks for posting photos. That's a perfectly good original cabinet. I'd leave it as is. They're only original once.

#36 7 months ago

First day on the floor...

Every single stinking little kid piled up 2 or more balls in the shooter lane. Are you supposed to be able to do that?

#37 7 months ago

First day on the floor...
Every single stinking little kid piled up 2 or more balls in the shooter lane. Are you supposed to be able to do that?

I hate it when kids do that. I had a "Sky•Line" at a show once, and a young kid was trying to slam all five balls up at once. Someone alerted me to it, and I hurried over to the game. The ball lift was a bit damaged; slightly bent. I had the to repair it when I got the game home.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-north-star-my-first-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.