(Topic ID: 355138)

Freddy: A Nightmare on Elm Street, boot-up issue (Fixed)

By Zildjian

24 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5746 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5649 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5612 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5610 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5609 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5608 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5607 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5098 (resized).jpeg
#1 24 days ago

Hey Guys,

Our Freddy: A Nightmare on Elm Street pin won’t boot up. soon as I flip the power switch on, a continuous beep sounds and the DMD screen shows this and slightly flickers. (please see image below)

Some lights on the playfield turn on but majority are off. any ideas before i dig in?

Thanks in advance,
-Zildjian

IMG_5098 (resized).jpegIMG_5098 (resized).jpeg

#2 22 days ago

ordered a new GPU board, will update with results once installed.

#3 19 days ago
Quoted from Zildjian:

ordered a new GPU board, will update with results once installed.

Be sure to check the 5v power supply - the small power supply board (big heat sink) in the middle of the back box - it has a 5VDC pot on their that is quite touchy and just like WMS pins - if the 5V ain't good enough - you'll get a non-boot/screech sound...it's a common issue on System 3's...

Matt

#4 19 days ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Be sure to check the 5v power supply - the small power supply board (big heat sink) in the middle of the back box - it has a 5VDC pot on their that is quite touchy and just like WMS pins - if the 5V ain't good enough - you'll get a non-boot/screech sound...it's a common issue on System 3's...
Matt

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-measuring-5-volts

#5 19 days ago
Quoted from Sonic:

Matt

Thank you! Will take a look at this today

#6 16 days ago

checked the 5v power supply and was good there. the new MPU board arrived, had to wait to get the chip puller tool to swap over the GPROM chip from the original MPU board. extracted and installed GRPOM chip and reinstalled the board to the machine and she fired right up! Thanks again for your help guys.

IMG_5607 (resized).jpegIMG_5607 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5608 (resized).jpegIMG_5608 (resized).jpegIMG_5609 (resized).jpegIMG_5609 (resized).jpegIMG_5610 (resized).jpegIMG_5610 (resized).jpeg

IMG_5612 (resized).jpegIMG_5612 (resized).jpegIMG_5646 (resized).jpegIMG_5646 (resized).jpegIMG_5649 (resized).jpegIMG_5649 (resized).jpegIMG_5746 (resized).jpegIMG_5746 (resized).jpeg
#7 16 days ago

Run a 1000uf cap across 5v line. It will stabilize the flex and noise at boot. The beeping is a boot loop.

#8 15 days ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Run a 1000uf cap across 5v line. It will stabilize the flex and noise at boot. The beeping is a boot loop.

Thank you! any idea on how to stop the constant buzz from the speaker?

#9 15 days ago
Quoted from Zildjian:

Thank you! any idea on how to stop the constant buzz from the speaker?

I used to repair these street-level Gottliebs on a weekly basis for our low end campgrounds on route and they all suffer from the same issue and I’m pretty sure the pinball ninja/clay website has it all documented on what you need to do and what you can do for a temporary fix like what I just told you Because it’s literally in the field hack just to get things working until you rebuild other components, but it basically keeps the 5 V line from dropping below the watchdog value so it can actually boot up

#10 15 days ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

I used to repair these street-level Gottliebs on a weekly basis for our low end campgrounds on route and they all suffer from the same issue and I’m pretty sure the pinball ninja/clay website has it all documented on what you need to do and what you can do for a temporary fix like what I just told you Because it’s literally in the field hack just to get things working until you rebuild other components, but it basically keeps the 5 V line from dropping below the watchdog value so it can actually boot up

https://nvram.weebly.com/gtb-80b---sys3-5v-ps.html

And never worry about it again...$40....no need to think about it...

Matt

#11 15 days ago
Quoted from Sonic:

https://nvram.weebly.com/gtb-80b---sys3-5v-ps.html
And never worry about it again...$40....no need to think about it...
Matt

I’m sorry you seem to have mistaken me for somebody that associates with got leaves and their candy, striped white wires and no clearcoat lol I was just repairing the again street level aka rubbish from the start for campground lol how I loathe the white wire nice product matey I didn’t really read much about it, but does it actively monitor the watchdog circuit with data that you can monitor or view or does it just bypass it because it’s flash

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/freddy-a-nightmare-on-elm-street-boot-up-issue- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.