Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Doctor6
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“FF Pro or FF Premium”

• FF pro 36 votes
      33%
    • FF Premium 73 votes
      67%

(109 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FFSavePost (resized).png
    20230721_185506 (resized).jpg
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 months ago

Didn't find any previous post on this topic . Can you guys help me out on this . I've only played the pro. Does the premium with the upper PF and other add ons make a big difference in game play , either good or bad ?
    Thanks

#2 4 months ago

I tried both. The upper pf adds, but also slows down the game a little. I liked the pro a bit more, but didnt play a lot on the prem. If I would buy, would be in trouble for sure which one to chose. both good

#3 4 months ago

Thanks Falcon,
    That's what I was curiois about . If the game was slowed down because of the upper pf. The pro is really fast and fun . Would like to hear more comments from owners and why they chose one over the other .

#4 4 months ago

I owned a pro and sold it off when i got a chance for an LE. Usually I don’t like upper playfields unless they are utilized well and in my opinion this one is used nicely. You can go up there to help you complete every mode as well as to get area 51 multi-ball. Not a ton up there but some good stuff to shoot for. I would not go back to a pro especially with used premiums dipping into the low 8’s.

#5 4 months ago

Appreciate your input Swoods. The premium price point is a factor, with them coming down . Shipping is usually the killer on that for me down here in Tucson .

#6 4 months ago

The LE is an impressive looking pin !

#7 4 months ago

I have a premium and played the pro on location before buying. Didn’t have a chance to play the premium before taking the plunge so had the same question as you. I don’t think you can go wrong with the pro. Though the upper doesn’t slow play down unless you want it to because it’s a pass through. I miss being able to see the playfield below the upper playfield. The shots are still in view but you don’t see the ball for a bit. The recent stern pros are worse in meaningful ways that affect play but this is not one of them. I’d be just as happy with a pro and have more money to get another game.

#8 4 months ago

I appreciate your input Enigma

#9 4 months ago

The Overdrive save is so cool, I’d miss not having that on the Pro. Upper PF is fun & adds more shots to the game. The magnet action & Overlord sculpt is cool. Expression Lighting is awesome, and you can’t add that to Pro.

#10 4 months ago

Good points Rarehero, granted I haven't seen a premium in action and not familiar with "expression lighting ". Sounds like an add on mod ?

#11 4 months ago

I’m normally a pro buyer (GZ, Rush) but went PREM on FF. Kept going back and forth with myself about it. But the prem is really cool. I don’t find the upper playfield slows you down at all. And the upper PF is quite exciting to play since the right ramp shot is so hard. So you hit right ramp and then there is all this excitement playing the upper PF which is super fast b/c the game is super fast.

Overdrive is cool but enough for me to have gone Prem. The magnet is cool but not enough for me to have done it. The upper PF is why I went prem. And totally worth it IMHO. And as I said before, I’m normally a pro buyer.

#12 4 months ago

Thanks Jid,
    This is becoming harder as the discussion progresses.

#13 4 months ago

Premium is worth it on this one...overdrive is so cool that I catch myself lifting the left flipper on left drains when I play other games now, haha. Also, if you can nail the upper PF loops, its a little easier to get to Area 51 MB not having to hit that left ramp 5x like you do on the pro.

#14 4 months ago

Godzilla pro vs prem is a huge difference. This is like Deadpool.

Still if money is no problem then go premium. If you care about cost at all then pro. Ignore all of us, and you end up with one of the best shooters of all time either way. A rare win win situation.

#15 4 months ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Premium is worth it on this one...overdrive is so cool that I catch myself lifting the left flipper on left drains when I play other games now, haha. Also, if you can nail the upper PF loops, its a little easier to get to Area 51 MB not having to hit that left ramp 5x like you do on the pro.

Also on the premium hitting the target to start the Area 51 multiball is always such a satisfying shot!

#16 4 months ago

I just upgraded my pro to a Premium last week. So far I'm enjoying the Premium version more than the pro. I usually don't like upper Playfields but I don't mind this one since it doesn't last too long up top. Alien overlord and dead post are nice additions as well.

#17 4 months ago

I own the Pro and LE, and I've played them both extensively.

The LE (same layout as Premium) is a completely different game. That upper playfield adds shots to every mode, there are jackpots up there, there are super jackpots up there, and you can start the multiball with one ramp shot vs 5 for the pro.

So it is indeed a huge difference in gameplay. Is it worth it? That's up to you.

#18 4 months ago

I played both and decided to buy the premium. I don't feel that the upper playfield slows the game. This is one of the few Stern games that I think the premium is worth it. If you buy used it would be a big savings. Both versions are great though, good luck!

#19 4 months ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Good points Rarehero, granted I haven't seen a premium in action and not familiar with "expression lighting ". Sounds like an add on mod ?

Expression Lighting is Stern’s “art blade lighting” that started with Led Zep, and continued to be used in Rush & Foo. It comes installed in the LE, but can be added to the Prem. It’s a row of LEDs on each side that are programmed to sync with the songs. So - each song has its own musical light show. It’s really amazing in person & gives music games so much more life.

You could add it to Zep & Rush Pro, but you can’t on Foo Pro. Prem & LE only.

#20 4 months ago

This is why I appreciate pinside , everyone thank you . Tough decision...is it worth the extra cabbage?
    Also no one has mentioned art work....

#21 4 months ago

Poll Added

#22 4 months ago

I generally have a strong preference for Premiums, but after playing Foo Pro and Premium at SFGE last year, I found myself very happy with the fast pace and flow of the Pro. The only thing I don't like is the fact that there are no toys/models of any kind on it - it's all flat acrylic. I scored a good deal (for the time) on one of the floor demos and had it delivered after the show. I put the money I saved into things that give me more enjoyment than the upper playfield - better glass, lights, sound, etc.

I saw some Premiums on the market here in the $7600 range - at that price, I would have been tempted to go for the Premium, but for anyone on the fence, I'd say enjoy the substantial cost savings and grab a great game with the Pro.

#23 4 months ago

It's neck and neck

#24 4 months ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

This is why I appreciate pinside , everyone thank you . Tough decision...is it worth the extra cabbage?

Pro has the best artwork.

#25 4 months ago

I tend to agree on that...

#26 4 months ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

I mean, only you know what you specifically want in a game and what you’re willing to spend. To me it’s worth every penny to get the “full game” as designed. It bugs me that the Pro has the art of the finger flicking the ball back between the flippers - but the feature isn’t actually there.

I spent $13k on my LE NIB when it came out…they’re going for under $10k on the used market currently. IMO just splurge and get one of these bargain LEs. Not only do you get the full featured game - you get foil cab, the best mirrored backglass Stern has done IMO, built in Expression Lighting, shaker, HD glass, better speakers, sparkly green armor. Keep that in mind if you’re looking at a Premium - the LE might be the ultimate best deal right now based on what you get.

#27 4 months ago

I had a Pro and traded it away after 6 months. I wouldn't buy another Foo unless the code is improved substantially once complete. As far as Pro vs Premium I'd say I have a slight preference for the Premium. If paying NIB prices I would go Pro, if paying current HUO prices I'd consider Premium or even LE since there have been some deals lately ($9k LE's and sub $7.5k Premiums.)

#28 4 months ago

I’ve played both. Both are fun games. You are missing the upper playfield and the dead post on the pro- along with expression lighting option. If cost is a major concern I’d go pro. If you have the fund’s available I’d go with premium

Everything I have is a pro because they’re all out on location. But if this was one of your favorite themes and for home use, spend the extra cash and get the premium.

#29 4 months ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I wouldn't buy another Foo unless the code is improved substantially once complete.

I don’t understand this take. What’s “wrong” with the code? Rules are solid, modes are solid, MBs are fun and challenging. It’s so fast and ass kicky, I rarely get to the mid-way point (DC/Austin). The only thing I’m hoping for is more callouts to clarify what awards you’re getting & what some shots are doing since it’s so fast you can’t really look at the screen. Aside from some polish like that, everything that’s there is absolutely solid.

#30 4 months ago

At the current used prices might as well get a super low play modded premium for 7500-7800 or a le for 9400-9700...
    Also been some nice pros with upgrades for 5500-6 and its a great player for that fairly low entry fee imo
    Has me thinking of offering my beautiful modded unfaded og afm for a le and some cash from me....never thought I'd move afm but I really enjoy foo gameplay...

#31 4 months ago

A few hundred games in on my premium. I'm still spending a very large part of my shots trying to get to the upper playfield..it's fun..

With the current used prices on premiums it's a no brainer. I see LEs cheaper than what I paid for my premium and that makes me a bit sad.. if you can get an LE for under 10 i think that's the way to go.

#32 4 months ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I don’t understand this take. What’s “wrong” with the code? Rules are solid, modes are solid, MBs are fun and challenging. It’s so fast and ass kicky, I rarely get to the mid-way point (DC/Austin). The only thing I’m hoping for is more callouts to clarify what awards you’re getting & what some shots are doing since it’s so fast you can’t really look at the screen. Aside from some polish like that, everything that’s there is absolutely solid.

I posted about my feelings on code a while back in the owners thread.

Quoted from MikeS:

To be honest the honeymoon stage for Foo ended for my quite a while ago. I love the theme, layout, and art on the game but in the end it just didn't up being the right game for me.-which is fine. It was really a combination of a few things.

First off, no matter how much I made adjustments the game was just a really long player. I consider myself an advanced player but not an elite level player. When I traded away my game I had just over 500 plays and an above 400 million average per game. Most of my games near the time I traded it were in the 600m to 1.2B range despite trying to make the game a difficult player by tightening up the slings and tilt and playing around with pitch. The layout is super fun to shoot but it's also very safe. The slings are super far apart and there is very little in the game in the lower half of the playfield to induce chaos if you are smart about how you approach the game. Sling drains on the game for me were super rare and I mostly ignore the Sonic Radio and drop target bank when not in multi-ball.

Another area where the game let me down was the rule-set. I think some of the base modes were reasonably fun but the modes really just made you shoot all the safe shots in the game. It would have been nice to have more modes that required you to hit the drops or stand-up targets as well as utilizing the spinner more. The game has an awesome opto spinner that is super fun to rip but it is heavily under-utilized. It would have been fun to have some modes or uses where it counts the number of spins, or a way to rip it for huge points by building up a multiplier somewhere. The captive ball kind of feels the same way. Most of the times that I'd hit it were on missed side shots. It seems like the game is mostly about hitting the main shots with the exception of DC which has a heavy focus on the drops.

Lastly, I think the callouts in the game and theme immersion were lacking. I enjoy parts of the rules and overall enjoyed my time with the game but it eventually wore out its welcome. I traded it for a STH Pro which I am loving so far. I love the chaos of the slings, having a dangerous bash toy and having a ton of modes. I think If I were a beginner to intermediate level player I probably would have enjoyed Foo more but it just wasn't brutal enough of a game to be a long lasting game in my collection.

#33 4 months ago

Pro is a little more flow but not having the dead post or the upper pf is a negative IMO.

I own a premium, the dead post is fantastic. The upper pf is fun, much more fun than most upper pfs. Getting the Area 51 jackpot is way harder and more rewarding on the premium, trapping up on the right flipper, shooting the ramp with the left and then nailing the jackpot target on the upper is just fun.

So, pro for more flow and premium for dead post and upper pf. Both are great games. Pick yer poison.

#34 4 months ago

The “moment” the upper provides by starting A-51 by hitting the back target is precious to me and I don’t get how some think this upper “slows down” play. If anything it speeds play up as the action up top is fast but controllable and who doesn’t want more to do in a game. I believe the Overlords magnet has more interaction on the prem. The Deadpost is really cool and never gets old. I always buy premiums for home to get the full playfield as all I play is pros while on location. It’s kinda having my cake and eating it too.

#35 4 months ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

The “moment” the upper provides by starting A-51 by hitting the back target is precious to me and I don’t get how some think this upper “slows down” play. If anything it speeds play up as the action up top is fast but controllable and who doesn’t want more to do in a game. I believe the Overlords magnet has more interaction on the prem. The Deadpost is really cool and never gets old. I always buy premiums for home to get the full playfield as all I play is pros while on location. It’s kinda having my cake and eating it too.

Also, starting Area51 while you are trying to keep looping up there, while balls are raining down on the lower flippers is pretty fun as well.

#36 4 months ago

All good points,
    The cost of a well priced LE is out of my spending budget and there aren't any sub 8k anywhere near me, there is a demo in California but shipping would put it at about $8200 , and we all know shipping busts most deals .
    I'm still deciding and am keeping eye on the market place. If anyone near me has a premium at a good price please send me a PM .

#37 4 months ago

You can't do this on premium!

20230721_185506 (resized).jpg20230721_185506 (resized).jpg
    #38 4 months ago

I played both at a show before I bought my Premium. The Pro felt very stripped down side by side. I’m sure it is still a fun game but I wasn’t able to buy the pro after seeing them next to each other.

The secondary market is tanking and I think you’d find a good deal on a premium. If you have the cash go premium. When the expression lights come out you’ll need the premium.

If you are a hardcore player on a budget I’m sure you will enjoy the pro…. but one of the coolest features (the post) will be missing.

One confusing thing to me is people buying the Pro and investing $1k or more in mods to make it more like a premium. For awhile a guy was working on a project to put the overdrive post in the pro. At some point just buy the premium. Then again if you like modding more than playing (many people do) the pro may be ideal!

#39 4 months ago
    Quoted from MacGruber:

You can't do this on premium!
    [quoted image]

FYI. you have the wrong hand on the wrong arm. Can't make that mistake on a premium!!

#40 4 months ago
    Quoted from Sorokyl:

FYI. you have the wrong hand on the wrong arm. Can't make that mistake on a premium!!

Nah, different anatomy

#41 4 months ago

So I looked up the expression lighting mod, it does look cool but at $500 ...not sure I would spend that even if I did get a premium.

#42 4 months ago

Go Premium.

UPF with added flipper, 4 targets, 2 orbits at Area51 is a blast. Really adds to the game and flows really well with the rules/code.

Deadpost is really freaking cool. A unique and enjoyable feature for sure.

the upgraded sculpts and bling are added bonus.

You also get the Option of future expression light upgrade if and when you want.

#43 4 months ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

So I looked up the expression lighting mod, it does look cool but at $500 ...not sure I would spend that even if I did get a premium.

It adds a lot to the game experience and you do get credit for that when selling, but it’s not mandatory. The expression Lighting, etched armor and all the work that was done to bring the LCD storyline content made this LE a wise purchase for me. We shall see what happens over time but I put FFs LE in the top 3 best deals going right now along with Ripley Alien at 8k and Bond LE’s under or at 10k.

#44 4 months ago

I'm usually a pro buyer because I route my pins & host regular tournaments. However, I went premium on foo because that upper pf adds a lot in my opinion. You also get the dead post on the premium. The upper pf doesn't slow the game or break up the flow on foo, unlike some other titles. My tournament players enjoy it. I notice you're in Tucson. If you make the trip to Mesa anytime soon, you can come play mine on location. I don't think there's a premium on location anywhere in Tucson.

#45 4 months ago

I appreciate the offer PinBob, I may just head up to Phoenix, where are you located at in Mesa and what are your hours of operation?

#46 4 months ago

I wouldn’t sell a FF Prem for under $8000 anymore, that was so 2023.

A large group of these folks who “waited or are waiting” didn’t buy any good deals and won’t get any either, especially local. They aren't playing anything new. That’s no fun.

What are you doing Golfdad? Get that lower priced deal in CA for $8200 delivered. 1300 plays but FF isn’t a LOTR journey long play game. Chances getting FF Prem for under $8000 are drying up fast. Local? Possible sure. Need a lot of stars to align.

FF is great! Good luck in the hunt!

#47 4 months ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I wouldn’t sell a FF Prem for under $8000 anymore, that was so 2023.
    A large group of these folks who “waited or are waiting” didn’t buy any good deals and won’t get any either, especially local. They aren't playing anything new. That’s no fun.
    What are you doing Golfdad? Get that lower priced deal in CA for $8200 delivered. 1300 plays but FF isn’t a LOTR journey long play game. Chances getting FF Prem for under $8000 are drying up fast. Local? Possible sure. Need a lot of stars to align.
    FF is great! Good luck in the hunt!

It seems with every game comes a wave of underpriced pins going up in the market. It’s musical chairs basically where games change hands until they find a permanent home. I’ve noticed a lot of people advertise in their ads “have X pin incoming so need to sell”. Why don’t they just say “Hey, this is the price but I’ll take much less”. Foo LEs under 10 is just ridiculous but my fault for not waiting .

#48 4 months ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

Expression Lighting for me is such a nothing burger. I played it PM my buddies Zep and its lame IMO.

#49 4 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Expression Lighting for me is such a nothing burger. I played it PM my buddies Zep and its lame IMO.

Play in the dark? I can see they would be kind of pointless in a lit room for sure.

#50 4 months ago

Premium, and it’s not close for me.
    The reasons have already been stated.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/foo-fighter-pro-vs-foo-premium- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.