• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4 (resized).png
#1 60 days ago

Hi all,

Looking for any and all insight. Just tried to turn on my Fish Tales and it started boot looping.

I added a video to show the problem. Taking any and all advice on what to look for or how to fix.

Appreciate you guys!

#2 59 days ago
Quoted from oTTo:

Hi all,
Looking for any and all insight. Just tried to turn on my Fish Tales and it started boot looping.
I added a video to show the problem. Taking any and all advice on what to look for or how to fix.

Appreciate you guys!

I would first look at the line voltage in the wall to make sure everything there is proper. Then I would look at that same voltage but on the transformer itself ,or at the exit of the DPST switch that brings the voltage to the transformer. If this voltage keeps changing , then I would blame the thermistor and short it out to test.

If the AC voltage of the transformer is good between pins 1 and 7 , I would take a voltage reading of the DC 5v , see if this one is stable (probably isn't). I would look at the integrity of connector J101 on the Power distribution board and make sure it is in good shape, connector , wires and pins on the board.

I would also look at the CPU board underneath the batteries to make sure they didn't leak..

Ideally you want to measure all voltages AC and DC and post them to get a better overall picture of what could be going on, but the thermistor and the 5v line would be the prime suspects.

4 (resized).png4 (resized).png
#3 59 days ago

Start working through the 'reset problems' section of the WPC pinwiki. You have an immediate reset issue.

#4 59 days ago

Thank you guys for the information. Will report back!

1 week later
#5 49 days ago

OP here. Time for an update! I was logged into an old account when I made the original post.

Voltage readings:
Outlet 117
DPST Switch 117
Pins 1 and 7 117

I'm not sure where to test for DC volts. Going to check through the pinwiki reset area now

#6 49 days ago

Just found a semi burned J101 connector. Ordered a replacement set and backups.

#7 49 days ago
Quoted from ApexRecordings:

Just found a semi burned J101 connector. Ordered a replacement set and backups.

Nice!

You should always go through the whole Pinwiki article about wpc resets, but lately I've had a lot of wpc reset issues fixed when I replace pins and plugs on J101 (where +5v comes in), J114 (where +5v goes out to the CPU), and J210 (on the CPU where power comes in).

I'm a big believer in crimp and stuff connectors with trifurcon terminals instead of IDC type. The current handling capability is the same for both types of connectors, but the vibration resistance is better with trifurcon, and pinballs are almost the definition of a high-vibration environment.

If you only bought parts for J101, it's possible you'll get it fixed just with that connector. Particularly if the pin is discolored due to heat. If one connector fixes it and I didn't have parts in my hand, I'd wait until I had further problems before I worried about the other connectors in this circuit.

#8 44 days ago

I seem to have ordered the wrong connector for J101. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 325.00
Cabinet Parts
Steel Tiger Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.00
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

12,500 (OBO)
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-stuck-in-boot-loop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.