Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 190 posts
  • 106 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by JethroP
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5737 2 (resized).JPG
    F39500BD-214D-4807-A3AB-9AC56837CD55 (resized).png
    ELO - _Evil Woman_ Live @ The Fabulous Forum, Los Angeles, 8_6_18 - YouTube (resized).jpeg
    Slayer at the Forum (resized).jpeg
    _ (20) (resized).jpeg
    8A4DCC7D-53D4-49DD-BA4C-8CB96AAFA23C (resized).jpeg
    57333D34-0460-48DC-A6BB-51EBCB3CAA25 (resized).jpeg
    E5315277-227D-41BB-B061-73B415D8E3BD (resized).jpeg
    51rjTV5sNrL._SY580_ (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20221218-094706 (resized).png
    IMG_20221217_135633_8~2 (resized).jpg
    Van Hallen with Black Sabbath, in Tour tougher, (1978)_ (resized).jpeg
    _ (2) (resized).jpeg
    kr (resized).jpeg
    87BA0BA1-EB8B-4336-A15A-74FD580776AC (resized).jpeg
    Iron Maiden in Concert at Long Beach Arena on August 25, 2003 (resized).jpeg
    There are 190 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 1 year ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

My first concert, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow at the NY Palladium, late 70s. AC/DC was opening for them. At the time I had no idea who AC/DC was. AC/DC was the loudest thing I had ever heard but they were great. When Angus Young came out in his school boy outfit, I knew this was going to be fun and it was. When Rainbow came out, they started out great but then they started having some technical problems and ended the show. I'm glad I was on the mezzanine level because everyone tossed their sodas, beer, cigarettes... over the edge onto the people below. Of course it was disappointing not getting to see the whole show but they did play 3 songs, I saw AC/DC and they refunded our money, which I believe was $12. I also found out, that was the last show Dio sang with Rainbow.

Rainbow only played 3 songs?

#102 1 year ago

Really too many to mention. But I'll mention some old ones anyway.

Pink Floyd 1994, Clemson, SC - first big show. It ruled.

Stones 1994, DC - first show of the Voodoo Lounge tour. It ruled. When they came out I just couldn't believe I was in the same place as these gods of rock. It was amazing. Went with my parents but we ditched them and found better seats.

Ronnie Spector's Christmas show, Life (a small club on Bleecker in the west village), Christmas, 1998. First show I went to after moving to NYC, was an awesome bill with lots of local bands. Ronnie came on super late (like midnight). Joey Ramone joined her for a few songs. And then Keith Richards came up at the end for a couple. Mind was fuckin blown.

Bowie at Roseland, 2000. Worse ways to spend 50 bucks. Just a perfect setlist, a third old, a third "deep cuts," and a third newer material.

The Who 2000 Jones Beach, awesome setlist, Pete and co seemed as youthful as ever, and Pete Smashed his guitar at the end.

U2 in DC, 2001. right up front "inside the heart" part of the stage. Only time I "got in line early" for a show, it was worth it (I think we got there at 10 am).

ACDC at Roseland, 2003 - once in a lifetime show for that one, got free tickets.

Judas Priest 2009, the Oakdale in Connecticut. Day of show front row center tickets came up so had no choice but to go. Friend drove in exchange for ticket. Whitesnake opened and sucked balls but Priest was fuckin killer.

The last 20 years have also seen plenty of great shows, I just got tired of typing them out.

#103 1 year ago
    Quoted from lftwng4:

Tiffin Ohio! I remember that venue.

I live close by now, and it’s all grown over. You would never know it was there.
    Same venue, same summer, I drove Molly Hatchet back to their hotel in Tiffin with my dad’s Cadillac and got stopped by the State Patrol. Not good.

#104 1 year ago

I've been to too many concerts to count since the mid 70's, and have seen pretty much everyone I've ever wanted to see, with the exception of Thin Lizzy. So picking one favorite is pretty much impossible.

AC/DC, Motorhead, The Stones, The Who, Joe Walsh, Ian Hunter, Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies, Alice Cooper, Green Day, Jackyl, Nirvana, Helmet, Pink Floyd, Korn, Van Halen, Utopia, Metallica, etc, etc, etc!

But pick one I must... So I'll go with the first jaw dropping band that left an impression (other than Kiss in '76)...

Angel City. Know as "The Angels" to the rest of the world. They're Australian band that I had the good fortune of seeing in their prime 3 times in the early/mid 80's. Simply amazing.

There's something about those Australian bands. Radio Birdman is another outstanding Aussie Band I was lucky to see.

#105 1 year ago
    Quoted from tullster:

But pick one I must... So I'll go with the first jaw dropping band that left an impression (other than Kiss in '76)...
    Angel City. Know as "The Angels" in the rest of the world. They're Australian band that I had the good fortune of seeing in their prime 3 times in the early/mid 80's. Simply amazing.
    There's something about those Australian bands. Radio Birdman is another outstanding Aussie Band I was lucky to see.

wow! yes they were one of our greatest bands. would of seen them over 50 times during 1980 to 1999. they *should* of been as big as acdc but made some really bad business decisions. they are still touring here in australia, the only remaining original members are the brewster brothers

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

wow! yes they were one of our greatest bands. would of seen them over 50 times during 1980 to 1999. they *should* of been as big as acdc but made some really bad business decisions. they are still touring here in australia, the only remaining original members are the brewster brothers

Yup, They're my favorite band ever. I have all their US releases on CD & vinyl. Most Australian releases on CD, including Doc's Red Phoenix solo album (which is incredible). I've warmed up to their latest stuff with Dave Gleeson and am glad they are still going strong.

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Apocalypse Hoboken always puts on a great show and I have seen them quite a few times.
    SNFU was really good to see live also.
    I think the best was when Subhumans played in Milwaukee around 16 years ago.

Chi Pig!! Great showman, remember him having all these masks and moving around like a madman on the
    "If you swear, you'll catch no fish" tour, what a great show.
    B

#108 1 year ago

so many.

probably kiss on their 1st tour of australia in 1980. had been really into them since 1975. was my 1st concert. also their return in 1995, actually followed that tour around australia.

others, metallica on their justice tour in 89, they were still underground and played for 3 hours.

saw iron maiden infront of around 300 people around 1983 on their 1st tour of oz. weren't really well known then, was only a small club.

special mention to queensryche, never got to see the original 5 members but they have toured australia 3x over the last 10 years. have been my fave band since 1985 and was a blast getting to meet them all many times. actually saw them twice in seattle in 2005 while in america on holidays was pretty cool also.

#109 1 year ago

Prince - sign of the times tour. Scandinavium gothenburg sweden.
    Michael jackson stockholm. Kim wilde supporting.
    Beach boys ullevi gothenburg. Manfred mann supporting.

#110 1 year ago

I’ve seen a ton of music acts with my wife. She is huge music fan. This is going to sound crazy but the best show experience we had was a rescheduled Kylie Minogue concert in Sydney about 20 years ago. We were visiting from the US. I bought the tickets online just weeks before our trip. The show was rescheduled so the original ticket holders had the option to keep their tickets or get refunds. This released a bunch of great seats. We ended up with front row center. When we were in town my wife made a huge roll up sign that said Los Angeles loves Kylie. The show had a strict no photo policy but we were dumb Americans and didn’t think they would enforce it so I snuck in my camera. The show started and my wife started jumping up and down with the sign held high and I started to take photos. Within seconds, security was on us about the camera. Kylie saw the sign my wife made and personally called off the security. It was like having a press pass at the concert. Everyone around us was super jealous.

For those of you that don’t know Kylie. She is probably the biggest draw in Australia (at least when we went to the show). Here is a tv commercial she did around the same time frame.

#111 1 year ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

The National is my favorite venue! I've seen some surprisingly big acts there (Rob Zombie, Jane's Addiction). Packing the crowds that those bands attract into that place lends a whole new meaning to the word "intimate."

I've been to The National several times. Some of the other notable shows I've seen there were Alice Cooper, Joe Satriani, Buckethead, and most recently Coheed and Cambria. I missed Clutch when they played this year because I was out of town at the time.

#112 1 year ago

My favorites would be Billy Strings ‘22, Garth 92’ and 2018, Blink 182 ‘01, Green Day ‘98, Revivalists’22, Sir Paul ‘22. (Ouch recency bias)!

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

My favorites would be Billy Strings ‘22, Garth 92’ and 2018, Blink 182 ‘01, Green Day ‘98, Revivalists’22, Sir Paul ‘22. (Ouch recency bias)!

Whoops, how could I forget Muse!

#114 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

How was the Genesis Duke show? Saw Genesis 11 times, but never before 92. I would have loved to seen them in 1980.

Awesome. Started with "Turn it on Again" with a great light show.

#115 1 year ago

I have seen so many rock and metal concerts growing up and over the years. Most memorable for me was Clash of the Titans at Red Rocks, Metallica at Red Rocks, both in the 90’s I believe. Black Sabbath final tour in Vegas. Every Megadeth show I have been to is always kick ass, as well as Anthrax, Slayer, Testament, and Pantera.

#116 1 year ago

Been to over 60 Dave Matthews Band concerts - obviously my favorite. Hopefully a pinball machine sometime too!

#117 1 year ago

The best concert I ever went to had to be System of a down in 2005. Seen them live in Charlotte NC which was one of the most energetic concerts I had ever been to. They make some of the best music with a truly unique sound. I would love to see them again but not sure if it will ever happen with the bands status. I have been a fan since the beginning with the hope's they would make music forever. I guess I can look forward to the possibilities.

#118 1 year ago

My friends and I went to Irvine Meadows for the August 2003 Iron Maiden, DIO, Motörhead tour.... we had decent seats... but it was the setlists that were awesome as none of the bands were on Album tours...so it was all best of sets.....DIO specifically was amazing, He played Rainbow, Sabbath and of course Dio songs... he played STARGAZER !!

Anyway.. on the drive home we talked about how amazing the show was... so I tried to get them to go to the next night in Long Beach.
    ... but they pussed out...

Next morning I said screw it, and called a ticket agency and got a single 4th row floor seat for $100.

Long Beach arena is a smaller and more intimate venue than say the Forum.. with an amazing history of Rock Shows, Zepplin, WHO, Sabbath, Van Halen, Santana, Maiden of couse.... " scream for me Long Beach " Priest, Deep Purple, UFO, Slayer, Testament, ACDC......on and on.

Anyway.. Long Beach was even better that the first night.. granted I was ten feet from the stage...but the whole atmosphere... the intermissions between bands, everyone would pile out for beers and smokes in the outside lounge area... if you blurred your vision a little you could pretend it was 1975 or 1985.

Best concert experience I've had, I yaked it up with dozens of other rockers... and it was a true Rock n Roll Parking lot experience before and after the show.

large_Iron_Maiden-DIO-Motorhead_2003-08-29_Chronicle_Pavilion__Concord__California_-_killerwolf13__10_ (resized).jpglarge_Iron_Maiden-DIO-Motorhead_2003-08-29_Chronicle_Pavilion__Concord__California_-_killerwolf13__10_ (resized).jpgLong Beach Visitors Guide (resized).jpegLong Beach Visitors Guide (resized).jpegIron Maiden in Concert at Long Beach Arena on August 25, 2003 (resized).jpegIron Maiden in Concert at Long Beach Arena on August 25, 2003 (resized).jpeglarge_Iron_Maiden-DIO-Motorhead_2003-08-29_Chronicle_Pavilion__Concord__California_-_killerwolf13__18_ (resized).jpglarge_Iron_Maiden-DIO-Motorhead_2003-08-29_Chronicle_Pavilion__Concord__California_-_killerwolf13__18_ (resized).jpg

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from RoachApproach:

I missed Clutch when they played this year because I was out of town at the time.

That was my first time seeing them live again post-COVID, and it was a great show. The Sword announced a couple months back that they're disbanding, so I'm glad to have seen them then.

#120 1 year ago

Saw Pink Floyd at Bobby Dodd stadium back in the 90’s. Seeing the flying pig blimp was a sight to see.

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

so many.
    probably kiss on their 1st tour of australia in 1980. had been really into them since 1975. was my 1st concert. also their return in 1995, actually followed that tour around australia.

Where you are the Sydney show in November 1980?

#122 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Awesome. Started with "Turn it on Again" with a great light show.

I think that is when they were at their best - post Gabriel of course. Have a lot of boots from that tour and they are all good. Such power and musical chops.

#123 1 year ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

That was my first time seeing them live again post-COVID, and it was a great show. The Sword announced a couple months back that they're disbanding, so I'm glad to have seen them then.

Didn't know that about The Sword. They were supposed to open for Primus at Richmond Raceway in 2020, but after the show got pushed back to 2021 they were replaced by Black Mountain. Would have liked to see them, but Black Mountain was still good.

#124 1 year ago

My 1st concert was Van Halen leading off for Black Sabbath in 1978. Just weeks after their first album. Saw them at the Spectrum in Philly and as an 18yr old teenager from the suburbs I was scared to death. Before the doors opened people were chanting "One Two Three Four, Open up the Fucking Doors!". A guy got shoved thru the glass into a sealed display window. Cops on horses breaking up the crowd. Being a proper Catholic school guy and a Boy Scout, it was shocking.

In the bathroom a guy was selling drugs, yelling "Pot, Hash and Acid, what you need?". That concert made me realize the sheltered life I had led.

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from RoachApproach:

I've been to The National several times. Some of the other notable shows I've seen there were Alice Cooper, Joe Satriani, Buckethead, and most recently Coheed and Cambria. I missed Clutch when they played this year because I was out of town at the time.

Buckethead. What an amazing guitarist. I saw him once at a festival on a side stage, having zero insight as to what I was walking into. So wild and fun.

#126 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

My 1st concert was Van Halen leading off for Black Sabbath in 1978. Just weeks after their first album. Saw them at the Spectrum in Philly and as an 18yr old teenager from the suburbs I was scared to death. Before the doors opened people were chanting "One Two Three Four, Open up the Fucking Doors!". A guy got shoved thru the glass into a sealed display window. Cops on horses breaking up the crowd. Being a proper Catholic school guy and a Boy Scout, it was shocking.
    In the bathroom a guy was selling drugs, yelling "Pot, Hash and Acid, what you need?". That concert made me realize the sheltered life I had led.

Sounds like the beginning of The Wall!!!

#127 1 year ago

A friend used to work for the Eagles and invited me to one of their concerts in the mid 90s at the Rose Bowl. They used a couple floors of the press box as the backstage party area. I really don't like going backstage. In the past my friend might ask me to help count t shirt money or something when I did.

This time it was set up way different and I thought the Eagles are alright, but their parties rock. My friends and I laughed that we had a great time at a party where they kept playing Eagles music.

#128 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

Frank Zappa in Helsinki, Finland 1988![quoted image]

I saw him in Chicago on this tour (his last unfortunately) as an 18 year old and had no idea how lucky I was to be there at the time. The best place for a show in Chicago, Frank’s last tour, Zeppelin/Beatles medley, special guest Sting (or Mr Sting according to Zappa) etc. It’s a legendary show that’s been bootlegged and streamed for years but every time I pull it up to watch or listen I don’t, because I have my own version in my memories of me and my boys (one of whom has passed) being there and it was a perfect night. Our same crew went when Dweezil and the Zappa plays Zappa band came and played the same venue almost 20 yrs later. We were fatter and had better seats (and weed) but that was also a night I’ll never forget.

#129 1 year ago

Concerts always have the best next day stories (probably a great thread starter as well). Lost buddy who turns up two days later ended up getting backstage and partying with the band, doing too much acid and looking for the car for 5 hours after the show, somebody stage dives into an empty void and breaks arm and face, someone overdoes the Flintstone vitamins and spends the whole show in a stairwell etc…all hypothetical of course.

#130 1 year ago

I used to say that the Fair Warning tour was my favorite Van Halen show, but that might be just because that was my favorite VH album. In reality, the Women and Children First tour was probably the best. They even showcased a couple of songs that would later appear on Fair Warning.

Like others have said, I’ve seen so many concerts that it is impossible to pick one. NIN on the Pretty Hate Machine tour at the Boathouse was epic. Pantera was at the Peppermint Beach Club for repeated tours, and each required extensive recovery time. Rush I’ve seen so many times I can’t count. Signals was probably the best.

Jethro Tull on their 20th anniversary tour at King’s Dominion was memorable. So was Social Distortion, Pixies, Sonic Youth, and Neil Young at William and Mary Hall.

But the best show has to be Susan Tedeschi, Buddy Guy, and B.B. King. (It was my first date with my wife.)

#131 1 year ago

Too many to count, but Randy at a small festival in Germany was absolutely fantastic. The very last World/Inferno gig I went to before Jack died was incredible as well. Played to a crowd of about 5 at Now That's Class in Cleveland and they played their hearts out. Such a good band, Jack is sorely missed.

#132 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tomass:

Grateful Dead
    Buckeye Lake

Which year? I saw them there in 1991 the opening band was The Violent Femmes. Of all the GD opening bands that I saw ( CSN, Los Lobos, Edie Brickell, Sting, 10,000 maniacs) they were probably my favorite. Im not a pin collector but bought this that day and threw it in a drawer.
    My best concert ever was either Stevie Ray Vaughan at the spectrum in 1989 or Pink Floyd at JFK stadium in 1987.

87BA0BA1-EB8B-4336-A15A-74FD580776AC (resized).jpeg87BA0BA1-EB8B-4336-A15A-74FD580776AC (resized).jpeg
    #133 1 year ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

My first concert, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow at the NY Palladium, late 70s. AC/DC was opening for them. At the time I had no idea who AC/DC was. AC/DC was the loudest thing I had ever heard but they were great. When Angus Young came out in his school boy outfit, I knew this was going to be fun and it was. When Rainbow came out, they started out great but then they started having some technical problems and ended the show. I'm glad I was on the mezzanine level because everyone tossed their sodas, beer, cigarettes... over the edge onto the people below. Of course it was disappointing not getting to see the whole show but they did play 3 songs, I saw AC/DC and they refunded our money, which I believe was $12. I also found out, that was the last show Dio sang with Rainbow.

One of a few bands I have regrettably never seen is Rainbow with Dio singing. Bon Scott era AC/DC would be gravy on top.

#134 1 year ago
    Quoted from JRBBRJ:

Buckethead. What an amazing guitarist. I saw him once at a festival on a side stage, having zero insight as to what I was walking into. So wild and fun.

This is the about the only one that would get me off my lazy old ass and into a crowded venue to see. I guess he has been having some health issues and isn’t touring for now. I hope he recovers and goes out, and plays somewhere local around here.

#135 1 year ago

Buckethead aint got nothin on Bob Log the 3rd!

Another Damn fine showman
    B

#136 1 year ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Our same crew went when Dweezil and the Zappa plays Zappa band came and played the same venue almost 20 yrs later. We were fatter and had better seats (and weed) but that was also a night I’ll never forget.

Dweezil was in Finland 2013, I went to the concert with the same friend who was with me in Frank concert 1988. Dweezil and the band were just great. He had tears in his eyes while performing Watermelon in Easter Hay, and I sure had also.

#137 1 year ago
    Quoted from lftwng4:

One of a few bands I have regrettably never seen is Rainbow with Dio singing. Bon Scott era AC/DC would be gravy on top.

My friends had gone to a Kiss concert and Elf was the opening act, I'm sorry I missed that.

#138 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sounds like the beginning of The Wall!!!

I went to that Pink Floyd show on Long Island in 1980.

#139 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I went to that Pink Floyd show on Long Island in 1980.

Very cool - anyone who was able to catch the Floyd in their heyday lived my dream!

#140 1 year ago

RUSH, opening for Kansas. Made even better with 2 flasks of Chivas taped to my legs, LOL.
    Followed closely The Doobie Brothers, as one in the crowd of just 150 at a private corporate party in Orlando.
    Followed by being backstage with The Who just after their ill-fated show in Cincinnati (back in the day, when I was working in radio).
    Followed by Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers doing a tune-up gig (as "Jimmy & the Iguanas") at the awesome Tipatina's in New Orleans.
    Followed by too-many-to-count Jimmy Buffett shows at Nissan Pavilion.

After all that and with astronomical ticket prices the last several years, now I stay home.

#141 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jamesays:

Monsters of Rock was great ,McCartney at Berkeley ,Pink Floyd in Oakland and then Bowie at San Jose state Spiders from Mars tour
    [quoted image]

I was supposed to go to that show but had to move instead. That was the show where a guy fell from the upper deck and died.

My best concert for the experience was the Grateful Dead at the Oakland collosium on new years eve, with some fungus. Every dead show was an experience and would have been, even if the band never played!

Best shows for the music would be Dave Matthews band at shoreline amphitheater in Mountain View CA. My ex girlfriends mother was the mayor of Mountain View when the amphitheater was approved. My, now wife, was best friends with my ex. My ex's mother had up front seating for 2 for all the concerts initially so my wife and my ex saw a lot of great shows that my ex's mom had no interest in. We were 17 or so at the time and I'd get jealous every time they were getting all dolled up for a show, looking hot to go to a concert.

Chris Issac in a very small club in Oakland before he made it big. That show was awesome. Aerosmith at shoreline was great as well.

The two bands I saw the most were the Grateful Dead,(13 times) and Hank Williams Jr,(13 or 14 times). HWJR hands down had the best fist fights! One time we showed up at a Hank show with 12 40oz King Cobras, a Coors party ball and hot dogs with a small grill. We start setting up the grill and security came around and said no grill and no open containers in the parking lot but that they wouldn't be enforcing the open containers for about a half hour from then. Being stupid kids we,of course, took it as a challenge to drink as much as we could before they put a stop to it. We drank a bunch of beer while downing cold hot dogs. Got to our seats and I remember seeing some of Rodney Crowell opening for Hank. Everyone was standing up and I hurled all over this ladies seat in the row ahead of me. The ladies husband turned around ready to issue me the ass kicking I so justly deserved. We were a group of 9 and when he turned around and saw my Samoan brother in law he thought twice about beating me down. I spent the rest of that concert laying in the back of my brother in law's pickup with the spins.

I still feel bad about puking on the seat and that was 35 years ago.

#142 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

My group spit chewing tobacco on the seat in front of us at a KISS concert once. This couple comes in after the show started and she had a white miniskirt on. Her BF was big.

We left.

#143 1 year ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

I'm 72 originally from Oakland,Ca!I've seen everybody either at the Fillmore,winterland,Family Dog,Avalon ball room, and the Oakland coliseum!My favorite memory was "The Beatles" August 29.1966 Candelstick Park,SF.I was 16!!

Circle Star Theater in San Carlos was the best. Smaller and more intimate up close views of the performers. AND the stage would slowly rotate. Saw the Jackson 5 there.

#144 1 year ago

My 1st concert was zz top in Vancouver mid 80’s. Been lucky to see/hear some classic bands over the years. Fleetwood Mac (g friends fave) the Rolling Stones, George Thourogood, the police, John Fogerty, and Roger waters-wow! The one that stands out for me..took my brother to see Tom petty & the heartbreakers w Jackson Browne. It was an outdoor concert in Devore California, around 2000. Just a great time, best atmosphere for me at a concert.
    Another band that stood out big time was actually a cover band called zeperella. An all female band that did Led Zeppelin..they were phenomenal!

#145 1 year ago

I have 2 , Tesla at the channel in Boston for the five man acoustical jam and Primus with Clutch at the pavilion tent in the sea port.

#146 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZooDude:

Buckethead aint got nothin on Bob Log the 3rd!
    Another Damn fine showman
    B

Thank you for posting!
    I never heard of Bob Log the 3rd but am picking up a few of his albums and hope to see him play in the future. He’s quite the showman!

#147 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

I was supposed to go to that show but had to move instead. That was the show where a guy fell from the upper deck and died.
    My best concert for the experience was the Grateful Dead at the Oakland collosium on new years eve, with some fungus. Every dead show was an experience and would have been, even if the band never played!
    Best shows for the music would be Dave Matthews band at shoreline amphitheater in Mountain View CA. My ex girlfriends mother was the mayor of Mountain View when the amphitheater was approved. My, now wife, was best friends with my ex. My ex's mother had up front seating for 2 for all the concerts initially so my wife and my ex saw a lot of great shows that my ex's mom had no interest in. We were 17 or so at the time and I'd get jealous every time they were getting all dolled up for a show, looking hot to go to a concert.
    Chris Issac in a very small club in Oakland before he made it big. That show was awesome. Aerosmith at shoreline was great as well.
    The two bands I saw the most were the Grateful Dead,(13 times) and Hank Williams Jr,(13 or 14 times). HWJR hands down had the best fist fights! One time we showed up at a Hank show with 12 40oz King Cobras, a Coors party ball and hot dogs with a small grill. We start setting up the grill and security came around and said no grill and no open containers in the parking lot but that they wouldn't be enforcing the open containers for about a half hour from then. Being stupid kids we,of course, took it as a challenge to drink as much as we could before they put a stop to it. We drank a bunch of beer while downing cold hot dogs. Got to our seats and I remember seeing some of Rodney Crowell opening for Hank. Everyone was standing up and I hurled all over this ladies seat in the row ahead of me. The ladies husband turned around ready to issue me the ass kicking I so justly deserved. We were a group of 9 and when he turned around and saw my Samoan brother in law he thought twice about beating me down. I spent the rest of that concert laying in the back of my brother in law's pickup with the spins.

What year GD New Years Show in Oakland?
    I was fortunate to see the (4) show New Years run in 1989.

#148 1 year ago

Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps tour (in 1983?)
    King Crimson at Warner Theater 2019 ...up front was 3 full drum sets and they ruled the show. the rest of the band was behind them on risers. very cool.

#149 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The Stones have NEVER, EVER done a "farewell tour!" They also didn't tour in 92 or 93. (you probably saw them in '89 or '94).
    Shame on you for spreading such nonsense!
    The WHo, however, have done at least two. So has Cher!
    And KISS did one in 2000.
    Very few bands have actually done a farewell tour/show and stuck with it. The Ramones are one, but of course they were all dead within five years (I do think they would have stuck to it).
    The Police did a Farewell show 15 years or so ago, I don't think they'll be back.
    Pink Floyd never said farewell, they just went away.
    The list of bands/acts who have done farewells and come back is incredibly long. I do not take these announcements seriously.

Right on the Stones. The Who only did one farewell tour back in 1982. Mostly great shows since then. Some bands just like to take time off and go back to work. Can't begrudge them that.

#150 1 year ago

Note: Last Led Zeppelin concert in America.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/led-zeppelin/1977/oakland-alameda-county-coliseum-oakland-ca-63d67a77.html

Somebody should start a who's seen the most pin bands live thread.

LZ
    Metallica (for free in parking lot of Tower Records)
    IM
    Aerosmith (Cal Jam 2, ~400k attendees)
    AC/DC
    Alice Cooper
    Ted Nugent (also Cal Jam 2)
    Rush

Haven't seen Kiss, Dolly Parton (would see), G&R, Beatles, Stones or Primus. I'm old and white, so the MO pretty much checks out. See how many you can check off the list.

https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?tm=Music&sortby=name&searchtype=advanced

There are 190 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-live-concert/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.