Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 197 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Dono
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you smoke? Or have you quit?”

• Smoker 31 votes
      10%
    • Ex-smoker 150 votes
      50%
    • Never started. 120 votes
      40%

(301 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rf.gif
    Ron (resized).jpg
    7C0C5D71-5193-42CB-B943-606A947877AA (resized).jpeg
    smoking campaign (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 11.00.47 PM (resized).png
    chocoholic (resized).png
    FB238C16-0F6B-4C9C-8538-CF2809AA03DE (resized).png
    There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

for you would you say it's about the aesthetic of smoking? Like could you replace smoking weed with edibles and be fine with that?

Not to jump on Puffs cloud, but edibles are a totally different high than smoking...at least for me. The edibles buzz lasts longer and the dontgiveafuckaboutmuch attitude stays with me into the next day - not great for the 9 to 5...so an edibles-only world would mean only magic plant buzzes on weekends = NOPE! lol

#102 4 years ago

My Dad has smoked for 40 years. He wants to quit. Reading through this it seems like vaping might be the way to go for him. He could slowly reduce the nicotine level over time and hopefully get rid of his cravings. What are the negative things with vaping?

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from Floyd:

What are the negative things with vaping?

You look like a douchbag.
    You inhale nicotine all damn day because you can do it anywhere you want.
    You look like a tool.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Not true. At least not where I live.

#105 4 years ago
    Quoted from nascarrey:

Not true. At least not where I live.

Hmmm.....you know you may have a point I overlooked.
    I'm not saying vaping is allowed inside, I'm saying I see a ton of people vaping indoors everywhere because they think they're slick hiding it in their paw. So my statement probably isn't true for normal folks....but scrappy younger people and toothless older people it shakes out a bit better.

#106 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hmmm.....you know you may have a point I overlooked.
    I'm not saying vaping is allowed inside, I'm saying I see a ton of people vaping indoors everywhere because they think they're slick hiding it in their paw. So my statement probably isn't true for normal folks....but scrappy younger people and toothless older people it shakes out a bit better.

Vaping is treated just like smoking (at least in the greater Chicagoland area). Can't do it in a bar......

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from nascarrey:

Vaping is treated just like smoking (at least in the greater Chicagoland area). Can't do it in a bar......

Sure, but I think you're missing my point, it isn't allowed but people do it.
    Or I guess no one does it in Chicago which would be amazing.

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from Floyd:

My Dad has smoked for 40 years. He wants to quit. Reading through this it seems like vaping might be the way to go for him. He could slowly reduce the nicotine level over time and hopefully get rid of his cravings. What are the negative things with vaping?

There aren't any long term studies on it obviously, but in the short term they say it's a lot less harmful then cigarettes. Problem is it's not regulated, as far as I know, so you don't really know for sure whats in the liquid.
    Also change your batteries every so often, otherwise there is a chance of explosion. It's the lesser of the two evils for sure.
    Think only 1 person has died from an exploding e-cig compared to close to half a million (per year just in the US) caused by tobacco.

#109 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Sure, but I think you're missing my point, it isn't allowed but people do it.
    Or I guess no one does it in Chicago which would be amazing.

No one vapes inside of the bars/restaurants that I frequent. They go outside just like the smokers have since it was banned in January of 2008.
    I'm sure some peeps break the rules...everywhere.

#110 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:You look like a douchbag.
    You look like a tool.

1) Who gives a rat's ass about how it looks---if it works.

2) More later

3) Tool? You mean fool? Depends on how discreet you want to be.

Quoted from Floyd:

As I read through all of these posts, I hold those who managed to quit cold turkey in high admiration. As I mentioned way up at the top of the thread, I tried everything through the years. And I could not make the hump.

Several years before I quit, I knew I needed to quit. If I started laughing real hard it would turn into a coughing fit. And I was starting to develop a small cough-cough that was becoming more frequent. Still, I could not put them down.

My motivator was I needed some sinus surgery. The doctor said with the kind of surgery I was having that I should quit. My girl friend had quit a 2 pack a day habit two years previous.

After the surgery, my GF gave me one of those plastic cigs with the nicotine juice located in replaceable screw-on filters. After a week of puffing on that it broke. So I got serious.

I went to the vape shop and bought better vaping tool. I said I want the juice that tastes like a Marlboro Red. The flavor I bought was "Cowboy".

I went in with the objective that this was my do-or-die moment and I was serious about quitting and that I as going to wean myself. I was not going to start vaping just to replace the smokes.

I started out with my first bottle of juice being filled with 16 ml of nicotine. A bottle lasted about two to three weeks. As I would be here sitting at the computer the vape stick was so tempting: "Go ahead. Pick me up and take a puff. You don'e even need to bother with a lighter or a match. I am always here at ready". I puffed on that sucker. And I puffed and puffed. Probably more so than I used to puff on the cigarettes. I indulged.

Then I got bottle #2 juice and cut the added nicotine to 14 ml. I continued puffing away. I continued to indulge.

At bottle #3, I cut the nicotine to 12 ml.

Bottle #4 was 10 ml. Bottle #5 was 8 ml.

Somewhere around the 8 ml level I noticed I was not picking up the vape stick as much. It was getting more relaxed. And the bottles of juice were lasting a bit longer.

Bottle #6 was at 6 ml. of nicotine. And then with Bottle #7, I went to 3 ml of nicotine. I mentioned earlier about the "throat hit" you get when you take that drag and pull it in. The intensity of that hit is related to the nicotine level. At 6 ml and 3 ml, there was hardly a throat hit at all. It feels like you are sucking on air.

With Bottle #7, I went to 0 (zero) ml of nicotine. But I had some menthol flavor added so I could at least feel something.

All of the above process took about 3 months. But even at this I was still not clean. What I had finally broken was the ritual of grabbing a pack of smokes and lighter, put them in my pocket and leaving the house.

The gum did not work for me before because I always wanted that cigarette in my hand. With the grabbing for the smokes and lighter riyual now behind me I went with the 2% nicotine gum. Now, I am at no smokes and no vape stick when I leave the house. I only have the gum. After about a month of chewing the gum, I ran out of the gum at about 1am. I said I am not going to make a midnight run for gum as I used to do with cigarettes. And that is when I finally broke the habit completely.

My GF had quit smoking in 2011. She used the gum to make it happen but today she still uses the gum. Gum is not cheap but it is better than cigarettes, IMO.

You all can poo poo me and say I should have just quit. Maybe you are right. But in the early 80s I asked my doctor about him giving me something to help assuage the desire as I had heard there were "things' a doctor could use to help you quit. That old narrow minded bastard told me to "just quit". Of course, it did not happen.

My GF's sister is a heavy smoker with an attitude about it. About three years ago, she finally decided she wanted to try and quit. I got my vape stick out of mothballs and got her a couple of bottles of juice. While getting here set up, I took a puff and it was terrible tasting. And I am like how did I manage to even hit on this stuff in the first place. The GF's sister could not make it happen and is still smoking
    ==================================

For your dad, if he wants to quit, I would for sure recommend giving it a try. But it is no different than those that quit cold turkey. As my GF's sister demonstrates, he really has to want to quit. And he has to go in with the objective on weaning himself off of nicotine entirely and not thinking he is going to replace smoking with vaping. I know some who have done that.

The money he saves from giving up a couple of cartons of cigarettes will pay for the vape stick and some juice; I think---see below.

If he wants to quit, I say it is worth a try. Tell him to go for it. I'm living proof that he has everything to gain.
    ================================

I don't recommend vaping. And I hate to see the kids doing this stuff so they can "be cool". I thought I was cool when I was a kid with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth, even though half the population thought I looked like an idiot so I am not going to try and define was is cool to a oyung person. Nobody knows the long term effect of vaping but can it be any worse than the known effects of smoking?

I don't what vaping would cost today. 5 years ago, vaping was cheap. That stuff slid into the economy while the regulators were asleep. And before they could lay on all of the sin taxes. And now that vaping is gaining traction, the authorities are twisting themselves into pretzels trying to figure out how to replace all of the tax dollars due to vaping causing lost cigarette sales.

https://vaping360.com/rules-laws/tax-rates-on-vaping-products/

" As vaping grows in popularity, it becomes a natural target for governments in need of tax revenue. Because vapor products are usually bought by smokers and ex-smokers, tax authorities correctly assume that money spent on e-cigarettes is money not being spent on traditional tobacco products. Governments have depended upon cigarettes and other tobacco products as a source of income for decades...

"...But because the government becomes dependent on the revenue, if smoking decreases there’s a financial shortfall that must be made up with some other source of income, or else the government must reduce spending. For most U.S. states, the cigarette tax is a major revenue source, and the excise is charged in addition to the standard sales tax assessed on all products sold.
    ===============

It's funny. On the one hand, the Govt. lambasts the tobacco companies for the poisonous products they sell, but OTOH, if everybody got religion and quit smoking and drinking alcohol, the state governments would be shitting bricks over the lost tax revenue.

And if everybody quit smoking, a large number of gas station/convenience stores would have to close their doors.

#111 4 years ago

cottonm4 Thanks for the thoughtful reply. This is what I discussed with my dad, buying the fluid and reducing the nicotine every time. I don't think he would be able to quit cold turkey, he has in the past, and always went back after a few months. He needs a new plan and I think this could be it.

#112 4 years ago

To lighten the mood a bit, you guys should read, "Quitters, Inc.", by Stephen King.

#113 4 years ago
    Quoted from investingdad:

To lighten the mood a bit, you guys should read, "Quitters, Inc.", by Stephen King.

Is that the one from Cat's Eye? Classic James Woods

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from Floyd:

cottonm4 Thanks for the thoughtful reply. This is what I discussed with my dad, buying the fluid and reducing the nicotine every time. I don't think he would be able to quit cold turkey, he has in the past, and always went back after a few months. He needs a new plan and I think this could be it.

Throw your dad in the car and head to a vape shop. Some are better than others. I can't help you there. You might go by yourself first and check some out. They will have sampling tables so you can try out the various flavors.

Just tell him some guy you have never met told you to drag him down there so he can have a look and make an informed decision if he wants to give it a try.

He has absolutely nothing to lose, other than The Law will think he looks like a dork It might be he can make his way to giving up the smokes but, like my GF, he may have to use the gum as a crutch.

Good Luck to your dad. And you.

#115 4 years ago

I think most smokers intend to stop 'one day' but doing so is not an attractive proposition when you can't imagine life without smoking. Ten years ago I was no different and having smoked for more than 23 years I was always curious as to how others had managed to stop but I wasn't necessarily ready to do so.

Then in June 2009 I opened a thread on Aussie Arcade called "Given Up Smoking??" and I read this post:

"I can highly recommend a book, but first a little background.

I smoked for 20 years, tried EVERYTHING, (gum, patches, hypnotherapy etc) but to no avial, no will power.

I was then given a book, which was well thumbed as it had eight previous owners, all of which had given up after reading and are still to my knowlege non smokers.

Well that eight became nine after me ( two years since my last smoke now) and I passed the book on to someone else who gave up after reading.

The book is called Allen Carrs Easy Way To Stop Smoking

This book doesnt go into the countless way smokes can kill you,you already know that as the author states.

Seemingly its sold as many copies as Harry Potter

I wont go into the in's and outs of what he says, but this guy isnt a doctor or shrink, just a guy that was on 60 a day and found a way to stop.

What I will say is by the time youve read it, you will no longer feel the urge. Trust me on this.

You'll be on here thanking me like I did with the guy that gave me his copy."

Seven months later I posted back in the same thread:

"Well you were right. I am extremely gratefull that you suggested this book.

The day after you posted this I went and bought it and two days later put out my last cigarette. I don't even read books so I never thought a book would work but it did. I had smoked from the age of 16 and was smoking a packet of Drum every 4 days when I stopped. I still can't believe how easy it was really. Allen Carr was a bloody genius and now thanks to you and him I will hopefully live a few extra years. Cheers mate.

Also, I would like to say to anyone that is going to read it that I believe it is probably best to read it over a short period of time (under a week). I would also suggest that you read the entire thing even if you start to find reasons not to. Please persist to the very end, read every word and don't skim or speed read."

I haven't touched a cigarette in more than 10 years and it really was quite easy. I know it sounds like BS but check out some of the success stories.

https://www.allencarr.com/success-stories/

#116 4 years ago

My parents never smoked, but my favorite uncle did, and so did my favorite people my parents used to have over when I was like 3. At 3 back in 1971 whenever I was around anyone smoking, the smoke just smelled so awesome to me. At 6, my Mom's favorite uncle, (my grand uncle or something?) did Red Man all the time. It smelled good also, and he gave me some and I loved it. Every visit he would give me Red Man in a sandwich bag to take home with me. By 7 I was buying Red Man and by 8 Skoal. By 10 all my friends did Copenhagen, I never could stand that. I do like the old funny song about it someone did long ago.

Anyway, my first cig was on my 13th birthday as a dare from a kid that lived behind me. His Dad smoked, and he was smoking also, and he bet I could not smoke without coughing. I smoked a whole pack in about 4 hours while we were playing baseball, and I never coughed. At 14 my cousin was in town and spending 2 nights and he had been smoking a little, and cjgs were cheap then, like 50 cents a pack and I was always a entrepreneur and making money(like picking up money back bottles 10 cents a bottle, and cans 40 cents a pound, or even splitting and stacking firewood for Dad and his friends 2.00 a hour), and I always had plenty of money, so we walked to a store nearby, I bought 1 pack of every cig that was for sale. We stayed up all night, tried a new cig every 30 minutes, and talked about what we liked and did not like with the flavor, etc. Early on Salem was my choice, with Vantage being pretty up there, that is all I remember.

Anyway, from 6 to 22 I mostly did Red Man or Skoal, and then at 14 I also smoked about a pack a month of Salem along with the other stuff.

At 23 Dad went bankrupt, I was losing my job, losing the place I live, everything. Dad had a great construction company. and I worked all the time full time and more, like 80 hours a week back then. Luckily I had always worked and saved so I was able to buy the house from the bank, and started my own construction company. I had always worked for Dad, while also doing stuff myself my whole life. I wanted to get ahead while I was young and had the energy. BUT.....at 23 with all this stress going on and my world was changing fast, Red Man and Skoal suddenly gave me intense painful heartburn, and I went from a pack a month of cigs, to 4-5 packs a day.

Luckily everything turned out fine and since 24 to now at 51 I smoke 15 to 30 cigs a day, depending on what I am doing. One time in my early 30's I tried to quit, but I found that I liked the smell so much I could smell a cig a mile away. I also broke teeth and had very high dentist bills because I would do sunflower seeds or atomic fire balls and biting that crap wreaked my teeth.

Currently I have lots of e-cigs, and even a expensive prescription inhaler, not because I want to quit, but sometimes with my work I have to work at places like Lockheed for a few months, and I can hide a e-cig easily to get me by, but they are even against that, so a inhaler from a doctor, they can not say a damn word.

I do high risk work that pays very well. Since my 20's there have been 5 or 6 times that I was one step away from a underground cave in. Something will cause me to die, I know this 100%. But in my dreams I dream that I stop doing everything I like to try to live longer, and then a plane falls out of the sky and kills me in my jacuzzi, and one time a small plane did crash into a house a block away from me. I do what I like, because at 51, I have already had a lot of friends die younger than I am, and they were trying to be all healthy and something else struck them out of the blue.

I am the black sheep. My GF does not smoke, none of my friends or family does, but they will all tell you I am the most considerate smoker they have ever been around. Even in a smoking area around other smokers, I watch which way my smoke goes and I move around and do everything I can to keep my smoke away from everyone. They all tell me to chill out, but that does nothing, I keep moving as needed to keep my smoke away from them.

My office is the only place I smoke in my house, and it has a ventilation system, and a commercial air cleaner so anyone that comes by does not even notice any smell. And I never have smoked around any of my pins, they are in another room.

And as much as I clearly like to smoke, I will stop in a few years when I retire, and not doing the high risk work anymore. I like the tv show Deadliest Catch. You see those guys make a lot of money fast and most of them smoke. That is kind of where I am, just not on the ocean.

And I thank all of you for sharing ways to quit, even though I think just retiring I can quit, I may need more help also, so I am taking notes. No pills though, I do not do any kind of pill or any kind of drug legal or not.

#117 4 years ago

Most difficult addiction I've ever had to face. And it is an addiction. Nicotine is one of the most difficult drugs to overcome. It's ruthless. Non-fatal and no other major risk other than extreme cravings and desire to use. Kinda' like crack. Then there is the cigarette/cigar portion that adds all the trigger situations.... it's ruthless!!

Back 35+ years ago I used a product from Water Pic. Called the step down filters. They looked like cigarette holders and through a 4 step process, tapered me off the nicotine habit. In addition, you had to clean the filters daily and they were nasty full of tars!!
    Simple and wonderful product. It should still be available today.

#118 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Most difficult addiction I've ever had to face. And it is an addiction. Nicotine is one of the most difficult drugs to overcome. It's ruthless. Non-fatal and no other major risk other than extreme cravings and desire to use. Kinda' like crack. Then there is the cigarette/cigar portion that adds all the trigger situations.... it's ruthless!!
    Back 35+ years ago I used a product from Water Pic. Called the step down filters. They looked like cigarette holders and through a 4 step process, tapered me off the nicotine habit. In addition, you had to clean the filters daily and they were nasty full of tars!!
    Simple and wonderful product. It should still be available today.

You bring back memories. I had some Tar Guards, and yes, they were nasty. Still I could not quit.

Back in the 60s, a new cigarette was introduced called Waterford. Inside were some tiny water capsules. You would squeeze the filter and the water caps would break. It was supposed to be like smoking a water pipe ( You have to understand, or remember---if you can ) that Mary Jane came on the scene hard in 1966-67. Head shops (paraphernalia) were everywhere. So, a cig with a water filter just fit right in.

Screen Shot 2019-07-10 at 11.00.47 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-07-10 at 11.00.47 PM (resized).png

#119 4 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

but they will all tell you I am the most considerate smoker they have ever been around. Even in a smoking area around other smokers, I watch which way my smoke goes and I move around and do everything I can to keep my smoke away from everyone.

Ahh yes, the considerate smoker. It would be nice if more were like you. I tried to be. The key word is "tried".

I understood when I was still smoking, and I understand it especially now why non-smokers get disgusted with smokers.

Smokers flick lit cigarette butts out of the car window. Or they toss the butt to the ground, grind it out with their boot heel and walk on. When I was still working (aircraft---Beechcraft) and would go to the smoke break area, the ground was a snow storm of cigarette butts because the smokers

A) They don't think and do not pay attention to their surroundings.

or

B)they was too lazy to walk over to the company supplied butt kit to put out their cigarette.

or

C) they empty out their car ashtray in the parking lot.

My dad was old school. In his later years he had a vacuum cleaner sales/repair shop. I would be visiting and these old ladies would come in to look at a sweeper to buy and Pops would be standing there presenting the different sweepers, all the while a cigarette burning as he is unconsciously blowing smoke in their faces. This was in the early 70s before the anti-smoking train really got to rolling.

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Non-fatal and no other major risk other than extreme cravings and desire to use.

Huh? It will kill ya. It just takes awhile.

#121 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

The nicotine doesn't kill you it's all the other shit.

Quoted from cottonm4:

1966-67. Head shops (paraphernalia) were everywhere. So, a cig with a water filter just fit right in.
    [quoted image]

Huh, never knew that tech was that old. They brought it back with Camel "krush" that had a menthol capsule in it later

#122 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It's insane now when you think aboot all the smoking in public places that used to happen. I don't even mean 50/60s style shit the 80s it was everywhere. Just 30 people smoking away in a restaurant for breakfast, lunch, & dinner.

I used to smoke in the supermarket in the 1980's. There weren't many places you couldn't smoke. We had a meeting at work where everyone was smoking and the one non-smoker asked us not to smoke. I think we did but made him feel like he was out of line which was wrong.

#123 4 years ago

I used to work with an older guy. At one time he worked at Parker Pen. Must have been in the 60s. He told me they gave everyone that started there an ashtray.

#124 4 years ago

I can remember going for a doctors appointment in about 1985. The doctor lit my moms smoke, lit his own then wheeled over and said, let's take a look at you.

Smoking sections in restaurants were 2x or 3x larger then the non smoking side I remember also. Or we'd go in for dinner and my parents would wait in a 30 minute line for the smoking section while there were 10 free tables in the non smoking section.

#125 4 years ago
    Quoted from SteveO:

I used to smoke in the supermarket in the 1980's. There weren't many places you couldn't smoke. We had a meeting at work where everyone was smoking and the one non-smoker asked us not to smoke. I think we did but made him feel like he was out of line which was wrong.

Oh yeah, I remember in the 60s when you could walk down the super market aisles, be smoking, and grind out your butts on the super market floors. It was a common sight.

Where I worked in the 80s was the same as you describe. We would be in a closed room for a meeting and it was a fog of smoke and the 3 or 4 non-smokers had to just shut up and live with it. And our building HR guy smoked cigars in his little office. Second hand smoke was not even on the radar. I also remember when the company shut down smoking in the buildings. First to get shut down was smoking in the offices and Engineering rooms. And then after everybody got used to that the company finally shut down smoking on the factory floor.

I also remember reading that in Winston-Salem North Carolina that you could smoke in the in the city library due to the fact that the cigarette companies were large benefactors to the library.

Looking back, it was insane with the way smoking permeated every part of society.
    ================

In the state of Kansas, only 10 years ago or so, the state made it illegal to smoke in any building, except for the state run casino. That pissed a lot of restaurants off. One restaurant even built a separate smoking room but the state would not allow it. They restaurant, which had been operating for 50 years finally shut down.

Even today, you can still smoke in the casino, but the casino has an exceptional air ventilation system.

It was/is a tremendous double standard with the state saying "we can but you can't" smoke in your establishment.

#126 4 years ago

Here is an ad circa 1994 framing it as TOLERANT to keep smoking spaces in restaurants, courtesy Philip Morris Incorporated.

smoking campaign (resized).jpgsmoking campaign (resized).jpg

Never forget for every year smoking was considered normal, the way things are, good business, heck even GOOD FOR YOU ("3 out of 4 doctors prefer this brand for the Invigorating flavor!",) there was a billion* dollar machine in advertising, campaign donations, research suppression, etc, to maximize profits and keep that the status quo.

*please adjust for inflation

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Nicotine alone. The cigarette is another story.. nicotine packed in a death tube.

We just had a close friend die of lung cancer from her years of smoking. She thought it would always be ok.
    The found the lung cancer after finding multiple brain tumors that were mets from her lung cancer.

#128 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Smokers flick lit cigarette butts out of the car window. Or they toss the butt to the ground, grind it out with their boot heel and walk on

Yeah, I see all that also. If no ashtray, etc at the door of a store or resturant, I bend over and put mine out on the ground and throw the butt in the trash. Now when I am working underground doing a pipeline, butts do get buried 10 or 20 feet underground when the hole is filled back in.

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

Cool seeing TGP get a second place and the other venue popping up downtown. Gonna be a good year for Houston's location pinball scene.

Don’t forget Cidercade opening in EaDo by the end of the year, too

#130 4 years ago

I'm not going to read all of the posts above, sorry. Started smoking at 13 when they were 57 cents a pack. By the time I quit 17 years later I was up to 2 packs a day. Woke up one day and told the GF who smoked I was ready to quit and never had another cig since. That was about 25 year ago.

The current GF smokes a little under a pack a day. Lives with me 3 years and has to do it outside mostly because I don't think the pets should have to deal with it. But the $10+ a pack it crazy.

The Vape crap has issues also. Most are not known yet. Other that you look like a tool, that is obvious. When some little hipster bellowing out a cloud of blueberry steam is around it bothers me more than a butt smoker.

#131 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fulltilt:

Nicotine alone. The cigarette is another story.. nicotine packed in a death tube.

I don't know about that. Look at snuff or chewing tobacco. Those will cause cancer too. One is probably worse than the other, but I don't believe nicotine is harmless other than being addictive.

#133 4 years ago

The U.S. owes much of it early history to selling tobacco. It is a cash crop.

https://www.lib.umn.edu/bell/tradeproducts/tobacco

" Tobacco was first introduced to Europeans in 1492 when Columbus landed in the Americas. "

Rephrase: The first historical account of tobacco was when Christopher Columbus discovered America.
    ===========================

"During the 16th century, tobacco use spread throughout all of Europe."

" The 17th century saw the organization of the tobacco trade and the implementation of new laws regulating the sale of tobacco. "

" Efforts at limiting the consumption of tobacco for medicinal purposes during the 17th century failed all over Europe. In Turkey one could be beheaded for smoking in public."

" Notwithstanding efforts designed to curb the use of tobacco, its use rose tremendously during the 17th century. In 1614 Jamestown colony sent its first shipment of tobacco to England. It was rather modest in size. 1624 saw 200,000 pounds sold to England while 1638 saw 3,000,000 pounds sold. During the 1680’s Jamestown was producing over 25,000,000 pounds of tobacco per year for sale in Europe."

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Don’t forget Cidercade opening in EaDo by the end of the year, too

Yup, their the Downtown venue, we're gonna be in Sugarland.
    Their dallas location is pretty cool, got a chance to check it out last year at TPF.

#135 4 years ago

My Granddad died from emphysema when I was 4 1/2. My dad died from lung cancer 2 months before my 7th birthday. I watched my father-in-law live with end-stage emphysema for 5+ years and suffer horribly. He died 2 years ago. He was a runner and basketball star in high school and was an active jogger into his 40's. Cigarettes stole many good years we could have had with them. I can't understand why any young person would want to start smoking.

With that being said, vaping is all the rage with high school kids now. My 17 year old daughter walks in the school bathroom and sees girls vaping and blowing the vapor into their purses. They always say "Please don't tell, I've been caught multiple times, but I can't stop". At her school you'll get suspended if you're caught. She knows kids who manage to go through a whole vial of juice (or whatever it is) every day.

My granddad had several heart attacks and was spared the long, horrible death that emphysema can bring. My wife's dad had a really strong heart and was very fit (except for his lungs) so he lived with it for around 10 years.

My kids got to see their grandpa go downhill up close and personal. It was absolutely horrible. When you're around someone 24/7 who sounds like they are drowning (because their lungs can't process air anymore) it's a real eye opener...

If you're young and reading this: don't smoke and don't vape. You are handing over years of your life to the grim reaper. You are also ensuring that the last years of your life will be painful, low quality ones...

#136 4 years ago

The thing with vaping...who’s mixing that stuff up and what are they putting in it?

#137 4 years ago

Chinese vape fluid? No thanks.

There are no standards or control over what goes into the fluid. None. You have no idea what you're inhaling.

#138 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I don't know about that. Look at snuff or chewing tobacco. Those will cause cancer too. One is probably worse than the other, but I don't believe nicotine is harmless other than being addictive.

I understand your point. I don't know where you can get nicotine alone other than in some harmful product.

#139 4 years ago

Pretty sure it's the "tar" that is the basis of cancer. The nicotine is what keeps you coming back for more of that tar. And, there's a fair amount of carbon monoxide that you inhale as you smoke, among other chemicals.

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

Pretty sure it's the "tar" that is the basis of cancer. The nicotine is what keeps you coming back for more of that tar. And, there's a fair amount of carbon monoxide that you inhale as you smoke, among other chemicals.

Don't forget the polonium 210!

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't forget the polonium 210!

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/58088.php

I heard about the Russian spy but I did not know what got him.

==================================================

Quoted from Fulltilt:

I understand your point. I don't know where you can get nicotine alone other than in some harmful product.

https://liquidnicotinewholesalers.com/bulk-usp-nicotine-liquid.html

You can buy all of the 100% nicotine you want.

I'm glad that I am not a slave to this shit anymore.

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

for you would you say it's about the aesthetic of smoking? Like could you replace smoking weed with edibles and be fine with that?

I do enjoy a nice bong rip or fat joint everyday but I do eat edibles a lot.medibles provide a stronger buzz for sure and I'm not always looking for that level of buzz.I do enjoy "smoking" but as long as I'm high I could go without smoking which I generally do when traveling in unsafe states. but some rough days you just need a lung full of chronic skunky smoke.

#143 4 years ago

Smoking never really appealed to me in a house full of smokers. I watched my Mom struggle with with COPD and on Oxygen 100% until she passed away from smoking. When I still see people smoking and vaping today (especially young people) I cringe especially knowing what we know now. Its an expensive dirty habit to be a slave to.

#144 4 years ago

Not a smoker but my dad is a 40+ year smoker. I've tried talking to him multiple times about quitting, nothing has stuck and he quickly changes the topic. He once tried Chantix and didn't like the way it made him feel. Every time I see him smoke it hurts as I'm always wondering how much longer he will be around. I remember as a kid hiding his cigarettes to get him to quit, that didn't go well lol!

Hell, on my great uncle's death bed, his uncle, who was dying of emphysema due to smoking told my dad "you don't have to go through this, there's still time". That was over 10 years ago and my dad is still smoking...Pisses me off really as I think it selfish for him to keep smoking knowing how much it would hurt my family to lose him. Just trying to enjoy the time I have with him now as he may never quit.

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from HandsOfStone:

If you're young and reading this: don't smoke and don't vape. You are handing over years of your life to the grim reaper. You are also ensuring that the last years of your life will be painful, low quality ones...

We tell ourselves we're going to do what we're going to do to enjoy life and if it costs a few years so what. The problem is you assume you are just going to drop dead when the time comes. That's easy. What if you just waste away a little bit at a time with some big chunks of shit tossed in here and there? That's what my father-in-law is dealing with now and he stopped smoking back in the 80's.

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

The problem is you assume you are just going to drop dead when the time comes. That's easy. What if you just waste away a little bit at a time with some big chunks of shit tossed in here and there?

Agree with you on that. With doctors and meds for every ailment, they can keep you alive a long time. Most people linger quite a while before dying especially with breathing issues from smoking. Its about quality not quantity with life IMO.

#147 4 years ago

I had my last smoke Monday nite..I told myself that when this last pack is done, I’m done. I had 3 left in it, and told the old lady (who quit in March) to throw away. I went to the pharmacy on Monday night and signed up for the patch; it’s free here, and I’m determined to quit this nasty habit/addiction. Already, just being around smokers, they just smell bad..I’ve turned into ‘that guy ‘ I yet to have any alcohol or smoke a joint, but I will be strong and stay focused. There’s so many things/reasons why I need to abstain: my health, financial reasons, and I just want to be a better role model for my daughters..shit, with some $ saved, I’d love to get another pin, or an old car..sending positive thoughts to others that are going through what I am..and condolences to those who have lost loved ones with this addiction..

#148 4 years ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

I had my last smoke Monday nite..I told myself that when this last pack is done, I’m done. I had 3 left in it, and told the old lady (who quit in March) to throw away. I went to the pharmacy on Monday night and signed up for the patch; it’s free here, and I’m determined to quit this nasty habit/addiction. Already, just being around smokers, they just smell bad..I’ve turned into ‘that guy ‘ I yet to have any alcohol or smoke a joint, but I will be strong and stay focused. There’s so many things/reasons why I need to abstain: my health, financial reasons, and I just want to be a better role model for my daughters..shit, with some $ saved, I’d love to get another pin, or an old car..sending positive thoughts to others that are going through what I am..and condolences to those who have lost loved ones with this addiction..

Something Reddit is really good for, support groups. I lost a ton of weight following r/loseit. Don't beat yourself up if you "fall off the wagon". You just get right back on it and try to maintain an attitude that you can do it. Good luck!

https://www.reddit.com/r/stopsmoking/

#149 4 years ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

yet to have any alcohol or smoke a joint, but I will be strong and stay focused....

I actually have found heavy drinking helped me. I would just get drunk, and every time I wanted a smoke I'd chug a bunch of beer instead. Kind of works, and then after not too long I would pass out, wake up the next day and BAM, 8-10 free smokeless hours! Can help with the first couple days which are fucking awfull.

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I actually have found heavy drinking helped me. I would just get drunk, and every time I wanted a smoke I'd chug a bunch of beer instead. Kind of works, and then after not too long I would pass out, wake up the next day and BAM, 8-10 free smokeless hours! Can help with the first couple days which are fucking awfull.

Just hide the smokes, cause if they are within arms reach while drinking, I guarantee you'll be smoking long before you pass out.

There are 197 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-smoke-or-have-you-quit/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.