tumblr_mqrjcr1SMr1sczn81o1_500 (resized).png
882c85a1d870bd475ad07c5f50a094b4 (resized).jpg
IMG_1997.gif
e60a79b25294c8047ccdbdf7b8146d5b7b87be5743d3c61f3842c3dbaa68af87 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
tootsie pop (resized).jpg
Kaneda on pinside (resized).jpg
IMG_7639 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,190 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 24.
#1051 17 days ago
Quoted from danarchy:

you bought more than 2 of arguably one of if not the worst modern pinball games? Your opinions are therefore suspect.

Hey, just wondering “Kaneda,”how many fake accounts do you have on Pinside?

#1052 17 days ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Have you and that other distributor sold those fifteen games? If so, well then that is some good real-world data.
That said, I don't know that we should extrapolate much from the idea that two smaller distributors bought n units so that suggests... As I understand it, flip n out is one of the larger distributors and Zach indicated bbq sales have been brutal.

The whole world doesn't revolve around Zach. Never mind he made brutal comments about the game.

#1053 16 days ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

The whole world doesn't revolve around Zach. Never mind he made brutal comments about the game.

Disagree. I believe the whole world revolves around Zach. It's is why I mention him all the time, regardless of topic. So it being relevant this time was purely serendipitous coincidence.

#1054 16 days ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

This thread shows why some buyers are shallow.
Haymaker is really obsessed with sticking a knife into a game. Here on a hype thread.

Bro I just call it like I see it. Did you buy one or are you still busy working on that game for your nephew? Yeah its a hype thread, would you rather have me do it in the owners thread? They could probably use the action over there but hype threads are generally where we give our thoughts on games, good or bad.

Quoted from RobF:

Respectfully, I think that is the entirety of the point. If it is difficult to sell the value prop of a Sys11 remake @$7k to someone who prefers these games, then it should be no surprise that BBQ sales were going to struggle mightily.

Great answer. I would have also given partial credit for Whirlwind . Just for kicks, take a look at Banzai and WW playfields, then compare the game features with what you see on BBQ. Even Sys11 games had a bit more going on...
AP would do well to seek input from an enthusiast focus group. Decisions are seemingly made in an echo chamber of bad ideas.

As far as people liking simple games go, I get that. The problem is, that most, if not all, new games are fun even with a limited or rudimentary grasp on the rules. Anyone can walk up to godzilla and have fun hitting the building to start multiball. Games are specifically designed to offer fun for novices, casuals, and good players alike. If you like "simple" games and you want something like a system 11, then you'll buy a system 11 for much less money than 7k. Basically nobody is going to walk into a dealer and say they're going to pass on all these much cooler looking and more fun games because they want something that is simple and then walk out with a BBQ instead. I really believe that 98%+ of buyers that purchase BBQ are just guys who want a weird game in their collection just to say they have one, not people who are willing to pass up all the other modern offerings because they want something "simple".

#1055 16 days ago
Quoted from Danzig:

for the billionth time, its not him. You're ignoring me so you won't see this but maybe somebody else can fill you in

#1056 16 days ago
BarryO.jpgBarryO.jpg
#1057 16 days ago

I totally get that some people are positive natured and maybe just love pinball and every pinball machine is a fun pinball machine.
But if your money is burning a hole in your pocket and you've got to go buy a NIB new pinball machine, there are at least 20 titles sitting in warehouses right now.
I refuse to believe there are more than like a dozen people on this planet who would choose this over all of them.
You want fun original theme? Buy a Cactus Canyon! Or even a GTF.

#1058 16 days ago

They've almost broken double digits on the pinside ownership stat. 15 locations with them on Pinball Map.

BBQ mania is slowly taking hold

#1059 16 days ago

The only review you need for bbq ..... it's better than Venom

#1060 16 days ago

Bro I just call it like I see it.

Someone is in denial about their love for a game. Common theirs a bit if heart tugging when you open their website.

#1061 16 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Bro I just call it like I see it.

Someone has a bit of denial about the game. Their is definitely some heart string tugging when you look at pictures.

#1062 16 days ago
Quoted from Danzig:

just this one how many do you have David Fix?
or are you just a guy being paid in lunvh boxes and aprons ti shill his garbage games?

000.smyl (resized).jpg000.smyl (resized).jpg
#1063 16 days ago
Quoted from danarchy:

just this one how many do you have David Fix?
or are you just a guy being paid in lunvh boxes and aprons ti shill his garbage games?[quoted image]

Well I would say you could come meet me at my booth at Expo so you could see who you’re talking to, but oh that’s right, you won’t be there.

#1064 15 days ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Again, this is your own opinion.
As i have said originally (to which you responded as if i wasn't allowed to HAVE my own opinion as it differed from yours), and many others have said, not everyone wants a sophisticated Stern title. Some like more basic pins with more basic rulesets. I gravitate towards system 11s. Some even like EMs.
I have more fun playing system 11s than I do sterns.

So wait are you buying a BBQ?

#1065 15 days ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

Someone has a bit of denial about the game. Their is definitely some heart string tugging when you look at pictures.

How much have you played it? Less than me I bet. Also... do you even know what "tugging at the heart strings" means, because it doesn't really make any sense in that context. "There" is the word you're looking for, not "their". Just Bmad being Bmad lol

#1066 15 days ago

Bought BBQ before launch and was hoping it would have more mechs and shots in it . That being said
Bbq has its fans at our arcade . Everyone likes something different . I think it’s ok . Don’t like the plunge shot rattles around on the upper ring rarely getting through to the top lanes as it should . Needs tweaking ( in white wood process ). Newest code update added more callouts and animations . Still a lot of meat on the screen . Sauce targets seem unique . Backbox lock different . Has a Hot Wheels feel to me .
I was looking at my Houdini , Oktoberfest and Hotwheels and thinking even though they get plays I rarely have to work on them . American makes a good dependable pin. I just hope they get a licensed theme next . Still undecided about getting Galatic Tank Force .

IMG_7639 (resized).jpegIMG_7639 (resized).jpegIMG_7671 (resized).jpegIMG_7671 (resized).jpeg
#1067 15 days ago
Quoted from Pinballer31520:

Bought BBQ before launch and was hoping it would have more mechs and shots in it . That being said
Bbq has its fans at our arcade . Everyone likes something different . I think it’s ok . Don’t like the plunge shot rattles around on the upper ring rarely getting through to the top lanes as it should . Needs tweaking ( in white wood process ). Newest code update added more callouts and animations . Still a lot of meat on the screen . Sauce targets seem unique . Backbox lock different . Has a Hot Wheels feel to me .
I was looking at my Houdini , Oktoberfest and Hotwheels and thinking even though they get plays I rarely have to work on them . American makes a good dependable pin. I just hope they get a licensed theme next . Still undecided about getting Galatic Tank Force .
[quoted image][quoted image]

Is that the same cabinet as GTF so it has room for the tank turret?

#1068 15 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Is that the same cabinet as GTF so it has room for the tank turret?

Mmm, leftover BBQ.

#1069 15 days ago
Quoted from yancy:

Mmm, leftover BBQ.

A little bbq pit chimney with a smoke machine would be pretty cool. Gotta reuse those turrents

#1070 15 days ago
Quoted from Danzig:

At last count there's at least 500 "Kaneda's" on Pinside....... which one is the real deal?
The world may never know.......

Kaneda on pinside (resized).jpgKaneda on pinside (resized).jpgtootsie pop (resized).jpgtootsie pop (resized).jpg
#1071 15 days ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

At last count there's at least 500 "Kaneda's" on Pinside....... which one is the real deal?
The world may never know.......

if all of them donate to Pinside then I would say ‘yay Kaneda’.

#1072 15 days ago

Every time I read the title of this game, it makes me wish it was really, "Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers!"

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1073 15 days ago
Quoted from Danzig:

Well I would say you could come meet me at my booth at Expo so you could see who you’re talking to, but oh that’s right, you won’t be there.

how about I come to your booth introduce myself shake your hand proving I'm not Chris and you'll have to buy me a beer?

e60a79b25294c8047ccdbdf7b8146d5b7b87be5743d3c61f3842c3dbaa68af87 (resized).jpge60a79b25294c8047ccdbdf7b8146d5b7b87be5743d3c61f3842c3dbaa68af87 (resized).jpg
#1074 15 days ago
Quoted from Danzig:

Quoted from danarchy:

how about I come to your booth introduce myself shake your hand proving I'm not Chris and you'll have to buy me a beer?

IMG_1997.gifIMG_1997.gif
#1075 15 days ago
Quoted from danarchy:

how about I come to your booth introduce myself shake your hand proving I'm not Chris and you'll have to buy me a beer?[quoted image]

I’ll be there, “Kaneda.”

#1076 15 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

for the billionth time, its not him. You're ignoring me so you won't see this but maybe somebody else can fill you in

I can confirm that Haymaker is in fact NOT Kaneda. Hes a pretty good pinball player as well.

Carry on.

#1077 15 days ago
Quoted from Danzig:

I’ll be there, “Kaneda.”

gonna buy me a beer?

882c85a1d870bd475ad07c5f50a094b4 (resized).jpg882c85a1d870bd475ad07c5f50a094b4 (resized).jpg
#1078 15 days ago
Quoted from danarchy:

gonna buy me a beer?[quoted image]

I would think a rack of ribs would be more appropriate given the thread we are in.

#1079 15 days ago

Too much sausage swinging. I’m out.

#1080 15 days ago
Quoted from zene10:

Too much sausage swinging. I’m out.

tumblr_mqrjcr1SMr1sczn81o1_500 (resized).pngtumblr_mqrjcr1SMr1sczn81o1_500 (resized).png
#1081 14 days ago

Why doesn't America capitalize off of the reputation this machine gets on this website for advertising purposes.

"The most polarizing game pinside does not want you to see"
"See the game haymaker is making hay out of"
"Look at this game that's challenging a but of narcissists on a website."

#1082 14 days ago

Ok so I played it.

It’s pretty horrible.

I don’t know what’s going on with the weak flippers but they aren’t appropriate for a commercial pinball machine.

I admit I couldn’t help but smile about the complete lunacy of the theme and execution. If you really want to embrace 90s-style unlicensed boomer madness this is definitely the game for you. And we’ll probably Never see anything this wacky again. The whole thing plays out kind of weird though, like a long, complicated joke without a punchline. At least the Williams games steered your to punchlines.

There’s hardly anything to shoot at. The entire thing from layout to mechs to video seems seriously cheap and cut back, like a no-frills version of a 1997 Sega machine.

The pulled pork video was weird enough but I lost it when the gloved hands started massaging the heap of stringy pig flesh.

At $4k they’d sell a bunch of these.

I can’t imagine how AP survives this, but then, I said the same thing about GTF
IMG_2414 (resized).jpegIMG_2414 (resized).jpeg

#1083 14 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

[quoted image]

Maybe you aught to shut up in some regards if your going for 0-2. But you already established your self as an "expert" so chime in further about your insights since you already have the reputation.

#1084 14 days ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

Maybe you aught to shut up in some regards if your going for 0-2. But you already established your self as an "expert" so chime in further about your insights since you already have the reputation.

U Mad?

#1085 14 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ok so I played it.
It’s pretty horrible.
I don’t know what’s going on with the weak flippers but they aren’t appropriate for a commercial pinball machine.
I admit I couldn’t help but smile about the complete lunacy of the theme and execution. If you really want to embrace 90s-style unlicensed boomer madness this is definitely the game for you. And we’ll probably
Never see anything this wacky again.
There’s hardly anything to shoot at. The entire thing from layout to mechs to video seems seriously cheap and cut back, like a no-frills version of a 1997 Sega machine.
The pulled pork video was weird enough but I lost it when the gloved hands started massaging the heap of stringy pig flesh.
[quoted image]

Will this become a tournament darling as some have mused?

#1086 14 days ago

Name checks out

#1087 14 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There’s hardly anything to shoot at..

Really? - Two saucers with added functionality, two ramps, two lanes to the pops, mushroom targets inside the pop lanes, target bank in the center, drop targets… - maybe orher stuff.. there must be at least 10 things to shoot for from left to right.

#1088 14 days ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Really? - Two saucers with added functionality, two ramps, two lanes to the pops, mushroom targets inside the pop lanes, target bank in the center, drop targets… - maybe orher stuff.. there must be at least 10 things to shoot for from left to right.

don't mind him. He's been playing too much Foo Prem, were there are 26 things to shoot at.

#1089 14 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I tried suggesting to AP when LOV came out to turn up the flipper power in the settings before they shipped the games out. Some bullshit excuse came back like the operators wanted them that way. I mean it took JJP 8 or 9 games to finally realize flipper power matters but I guess AP will just stay stupid for now.

#1090 14 days ago

[quoted image][quoted image]

Geeze, you just got this game and have already set it out on the curb.

SmartSelect_20240428_084706_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20240428_084706_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpg
#1091 13 days ago
Quoted from branlon8:

There’s hardly anything fun to shoot at.

And the flippers can barely make the ramps so I’m not sure if you can count those as shots.

There might be more people stubbornly defending this atrocious game here than who actually own it.

Which is quite a marketing coup for AP!

#1092 13 days ago

I was looking at my Houdini , Oktoberfest and Hotwheels and thinking even though they get plays I rarely have to work on them . American makes a good dependable pin.

they USED TO make a good dependable pin, up until about 1/2 way through Hotwheels since then API's quality has been pretty bad.

#1093 13 days ago
Quoted from danarchy:

they USED TO make a good dependable pin, up until about 1/2 way through Hotwheels since then API's quality has been pretty bad.

Yeah, go the GTF thread and try to tell the owners there that late-stage AP has good or even acceptable quality or warranty service.

#1094 13 days ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Yeah, go the GTF thread and try to tell the owners there that late-stage AP has good or even acceptable quality or warranty service.

My foo premium has been super reliable! Since we are bringing up that game for no reason.

Oh the BBQ we were playing broke after 2 games. I think something came loose and was stuck in the trough.

#1095 13 days ago

If your choice was between BBQ or EK home version, which would you choose?

#1096 13 days ago
Quoted from pindel:

I would take the bbq.

#1097 13 days ago
Quoted from pindel:

At the same price? Or is this a hypothetical where both are sitting on the curb with FREE signs, and you only have room to grab one?

#1098 13 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And the flippers can barely make the ramps so I’m not sure if you can count those as shots.

This has been the most frustrating thing about the game. A few location games playing great isn’t good enough. Please get more consistent off the line AP! Games like Hotwheels were fun and more dialed in.

#1099 13 days ago

Watching the live stream of the game, yikes that is really rough looking. The layout doesn't seem awful but the video production, just the font usages alone are a travesty. Not even getting into the art and animations.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ok so I played it.
It’s pretty horrible.
I admit I couldn’t help but smile about the complete lunacy of the theme and execution. If you really want to embrace 90s-style unlicensed boomer madness this is definitely the game for you. And we’ll probably Never see anything this wacky again. The whole thing plays out kind of weird though, like a long, complicated joke without a punchline. At least the Williams games steered your to punchlines.
[quoted image]

Levi at the Glitch Bar?

#1100 13 days ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Watching the live stream of the game, yikes that is really rough looking. The layout doesn't seem awful but the video production, just the font usages alone are a travesty. Not even getting into the art and animations.

Levi at the Glitch Bar?

Yeah it was at Glitch. Unfortunately they closed the private back pinball room but a new location is opening next month I think that will feature all those games.

Yeah, the animations: horrible. The fonts: horrible. The layout can't be ranked as horrible but it's just a super basic near-symetrical layout that offers nothing of particular interest and no satisfying shots, especially with the anemic flippers.

Couldn't hear the sound, but I'm guessing that's just as well.

Look, I know there's a very loud few here who think we are just picking on it for pinball nerd lulz, but it's not just us pinball snobs. There are casual young players (hot babes in their 20s to be exact) who wanted to play Jaws. I said yeah our four-player game will be done soon, but you can try this one!

"Oh that game fucking sucks I want to play Jaws."

Trust me, these gals do not know what Pinside is. They just know BBQ is fucking terrible. We saw this play out several times over the night, people not playing BBQ in droves.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 6,995.00
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8,495.00
Machine - For Sale
Lewiston, ME
$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

7,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

There are 1,190 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/barry-o-s-barbecue-challenge-hype/page/22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.