pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1126 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1124 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1125 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1314 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1315 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1376 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1374 (resized).jpeg
There are 3,924 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 79.
#3851 65 days ago
Quoted from bfastr:

your spatter looks good to me, I read your other post and dont notice the lines , so whatever you did looks good.
my cab currently does not appear to have paint speckle. like i mentioned its mostly unknown fluids!! I don't have the complete history of mine, so maybe its been repainted, although I dont think so because my serial numbers are still visible and embossed.
I have a PF swap to do before I decide on the cabinet
[quoted image]

Very nice. I made damn sure my serial numbers were handled with care and not sanded away. They are matching and both still viable.

Since I started this I’ve also bought 2 more, which will get the same treatment I’m sure.

Here's my modified rusto/krylon female cap.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3852 61 days ago

Wonder if anyone has any ideas on a fault I have?

Game was re-setting all the time during gameplay - would go off and come back on again.

Bally 1981.

Then it decided to crash and not come back on again. Just a few p/f lights.

Friend has tested a lot and it has new Alltek plus new 5v board.

It seems that there may be a failing component on this board.

Any clues what it might be?

Lots of connectors have been checked/re-pinned.

Thanks

IMG_2849 (resized).JPGIMG_2849 (resized).JPG
#3853 61 days ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Wonder if anyone has any ideas on a fault I have?
Game was re-setting all the time during gameplay - would go off and come back on again.
Bally 1981.
Then it decided to crash and not come back on again. Just a few p/f lights.
Friend has tested a lot and it has new Alltek plus new 5v board.
It seems that there may be a failing component on this board.
Any clues what it might be?
Lots of connectors have been checked/re-pinned.
Thanks[quoted image]

What's a new 5v board? The board you pictured is where the +5v is derived, and it's not new. Did you mean the rectifier board?

At a minimum the actual power input/output connectors have not been repinned they are still the original IDC type. (unless they were repinned with IDC in which case I'd ask, why?).

The solenoid driver board is what you have pictured, and it looks original and has never been rebuilt. You won't know which way to go until you get a meter and start testing some things. Pinwiki's bally section is excellent in its procedure of following a known path, treat the game as "unknown condition, power up for the first time". You'll be taking a lot of connectors off and testing things in a methodical manner. Do NOT skip steps, even though there's a new board in place.

It might also be something odd like the slam switch is stuck. Also helps if you mention exactly which game it is other than 1981 bally.

#3854 61 days ago

Hi, it could be a lot of different things, which pin are we talking about, besides Bally 1981, how does the power supply board look, did your friend check the test points for correct voltages, the caps on your solenoid driver look original

#3855 61 days ago

Thanks - Skateball is the game.

Yes, new rectifier board.

I will print off the Pinwiki Bally section.

I can check the slam tilt switch tomorrow.

#3856 61 days ago

I figured it was a Skateball, after i checked out your profile, and it is a 1980 Bally pin, i owned two of them at one time, first check all your fuses on the rectifier, the fuse on the Solenoid driver board and the fuse under the playfield, then check all your voltage check points, does it try to boot when you turn it on, 7 flashes on the mpu or just a couple of GI lights when powered up, also try unplugging the coin door to see if it makes a difference, the harness sometimes shorts out from the door being opened and closed a couple hundred times, let us know how you make out

#3857 61 days ago

Btw,, check your fuses with the machine unplugged, digital voltmeter set to ohms, pop one side of each fuse out of its holder to check them

#3858 60 days ago

The Tech Charts at pinballrebel.com are incorrect for early Bally SS (-17 MPU) machines. For these chime games, they list boards more commonly found on games with electronic sound (-35 MPU).
My Eight Ball still has its AS-2815-14 Lamp Driver and AS-2815-16 Solenoid Driver boards. They work just fine.

IMG_2571 (resized).jpegIMG_2571 (resized).jpeg
#3859 60 days ago
Quoted from kmart00:

The Tech Charts at pinballrebel.com are incorrect for early Bally SS (-17 MPU) machines. For these chime games, they list boards more commonly found on games with electronic sound (-35 MPU).
My Eight Ball still has its AS-2815-14 Lamp Driver and AS-2815-16 Solenoid Driver boards. They work just fine.
[quoted image]

Hmm, I think I overlooked this as I did change the MPU number.
All the files for the MPU-17 are adjusted now.
It would have been nice if you had send me a PM or email.
Luckily I do a regular check of this club.

Peter
http:www.inkochnito.nl
If you like my work, please send me a donation via PayPal.

#3860 60 days ago
Quoted from Trainmonger:

I figured it was a Skateball, after i checked out your profile, and it is a 1980 Bally pin, i owned two of them at one time, first check all your fuses on the rectifier, the fuse on the Solenoid driver board and the fuse under the playfield, then check all your voltage check points, does it try to boot when you turn it on, 7 flashes on the mpu or just a couple of GI lights when powered up, also try unplugging the coin door to see if it makes a difference, the harness sometimes shorts out from the door being opened and closed a couple hundred times, let us know how you make out

I was able to check fuses, tilt switch, and coin door.

No flashes, just the GI lights come on.

There is a very loud buzzing when the connector/wires are moved - bottom left in photo. J2.

Maybe just a different fault, not sure.

It will be a while before we go through the Pinwiki voltages though.

Thanks for the suggestions.
IMG_2852 (resized).JPGIMG_2852 (resized).JPG

#3861 60 days ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I was able to check fuses, tilt switch, and coin door.
No flashes, just the GI lights come on.
There is a very loud buzzing when the connector/wires are moved - bottom left in photo. J2.
Maybe just a different fault, not sure.
It will be a while before we go through the Pinwiki voltages though.
Thanks for the suggestions.
[quoted image]

Check the knocker and the coin lockout (both are on J2).
The knocker is in the cabinet and the coin lockout on the coin door.
Most of the time it is the coin lockout that is buzzing.

Peter
www.inkochnito.nl

#3862 58 days ago

Has anyone stenciled a Dolly cabinet? I can’t find an owners club and I’m looking for colors.

#3863 58 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Has anyone stenciled a Dolly cabinet? I can’t find an owners club and I’m looking for colors.

I think the pinky red is rubin red.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

2 weeks later
#3864 41 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Here is my dolly

IMG_1804 (resized).jpegIMG_1804 (resized).jpegIMG_1847 (resized).jpegIMG_1847 (resized).jpegIMG_1849 (resized).jpegIMG_1849 (resized).jpegIMG_1856 (resized).jpegIMG_1856 (resized).jpegIMG_2083 (resized).jpegIMG_2083 (resized).jpegIMG_2088 (resized).jpegIMG_2088 (resized).jpegIMG_2091 (resized).jpegIMG_2091 (resized).jpegIMG_2092 (resized).jpegIMG_2092 (resized).jpegIMG_2093 (resized).jpegIMG_2093 (resized).jpegIMG_2095 (resized).jpegIMG_2095 (resized).jpeg
#3865 41 days ago

Well Hello Dolly! Sorry - couldn't resist. That cab looks super nice.

#3866 41 days ago

That’s a great looking paint job!

#3867 41 days ago

Did you use base coat clear coat? The artwork is different than the flyer. Definitely cool.

IMG_1013 (resized).jpegIMG_1013 (resized).jpeg
#3868 41 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Did you use base coat clear coat? The artwork is different than the flyer. Definitely cool.
[quoted image]

I used auto 2 part clear.

2 weeks later
#3869 25 days ago

working my way through some issues on a Rolling Stones and I found a clipped yellow wire on the memory coils for the 4 bank drop targets. I didn't even realize this game had them until I found the wire.

Anyway I re-soldered it, and now the coil locks on at power up. Obviously why it was clipped. It's pretty toasty. And it's just that 1 coil of the 4 of them where the power comes in.

Maybe I'm blind but I can't find the memory coils in the schematics online. I check all the transistors on the SDB, and they all read similar so I couldn't pin point it. Am I missing something?

#3870 25 days ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

working my way through some issues on a Rolling Stones and I found a clipped yellow wire on the memory coils for the 4 bank drop targets. I didn't even realize this game had them until I found the wire.
Anyway I re-soldered it, and now the coil locks on at power up. Obviously why it was clipped. It's pretty toasty. And it's just that 1 coil of the 4 of them where the power comes in.
Maybe I'm blind but I can't find the memory coils in the schematics online. I check all the transistors on the SDB, and they all read similar so I couldn't pin point it. Am I missing something?

Not familiar with this game but are those coils for drop targets ABCD? If so they are listed on the solenoid driver schematic.

J1-2 and 3
J5-14 and 8
Corresponds to Q1,2,11 and 16
IMG_2446 (resized).pngIMG_2446 (resized).png

IMG_2447 (resized).pngIMG_2447 (resized).png
#3871 25 days ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Check my Tech Chart for Rolling Stones.
https://www.pinballrebel.com/pinball/cards/Tech_Charts/Bally_Rolling_Stones_Tech_Chart.pdf

Peter
http://www.inkochnito.nl

#3872 25 days ago

Thanks guys, yes that would be Drop Target D. I was looking right at it the whole time thinking they would named something different. I was just going through the controlled lights and switches earlier and it didn't register in my brain. Found a coil chart on Pinwiki as well, which is super convenient.

Anyway it's been a while since I troubleshooted an old Bally. I ended up clipping the diode and putting a new 4004 on and replaced Q16, no change. It was late and I called it a night.

#3873 25 days ago

Flipped it on today to play a game and it’s blowing the playfield fuse now, with the memory coil bank disconnected. Looks like I have other things to track down, and I’m low on 1amp fuses. Ugh

#3874 25 days ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

it’s blowing the playfield fuse now ... and I’m low on 1amp fuses.

If the fuse is blowing on power-up, you have a short from solenoid 43V to ground. So to save blowing any more fuses, find and remove the short circuit first.

#3875 25 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

If the fuse is blowing on power-up, you have a short from solenoid 43V to ground. So to save blowing any more fuses, find and remove the short circuit first.

saucer drop target is the culprit this time

#3876 23 days ago

Has anyone stenciled over gold metallic rustoleum speckling? My concern is the stencil might pull it up.

#3877 23 days ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

saucer drop target is the culprit this time

Replaced the diode. Blew again. Replaced the transistor and another new diode and its good.

So still trying to figure out that memory coil, and now a new issue of no sound...wee haha

#3878 23 days ago

Just got this super nice NOS Strikes and Spares playfield. Sadly the bottom portion has been exposed to water while it was stored in its shipping crate. At least that portion is hidden. Has some typical scuffs and scratches but much prefer it to CPR repro.

20240408_190853.jpg20240408_190853.jpg20240408_190857.jpg20240408_190857.jpg20240408_190920.jpg20240408_190920.jpg
#3879 23 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Has anyone stenciled over gold metallic rustoleum speckling?

The cabinet should sanded down completely to bare wood and as smooth as possible for the Pimps stencils to work properly. The few times I've had stencil fail was because I did not follow this advise.

#3880 23 days ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Has anyone stenciled over gold metallic rustoleum speckling? My concern is the stencil might pull it up.

Yup. worked just fine.

I used citrus strip to remove the original paint, filled and sanded as best I could, brushed on oil based rusto white, sanded, sprayed on rutso white, very light sand, speckled with my custom made cap, sprayed rusto black and red for my custom made stencils, 2 coats of rusto semi-matte clear.

It turned out awesome!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3881 23 days ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

The cabinet should sanded down completely to bare wood and as smooth as possible for the Pimps stencils to work properly. The few times I've had stencil fail was because I did not follow this advise.

This is a good point, I wasn’t thinking as much about bleed as ripping the speckles up.

#3882 23 days ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Just got this super nice NOS Strikes and Spares playfield. Sadly the bottom portion has been exposed to water while it was stored in its shipping crate. At least that portion is hidden. Has some typical scuffs and scratches but much prefer it to CPR repro.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If you're at all thinking of selling, can I have first dibs??

#3883 22 days ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

If you're at all thinking of selling, can I have first dibs??

Im planning on getting it cleared by Kruzman and eventually putting it in my game... whenever I get through the mountains of other projects Ive got. Here it is next to my Flop Flop. The only 2 working pins in my collection lol

20231120_185916.jpg20231120_185916.jpg

#3884 22 days ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Im planning on getting it cleared by Kruzman and eventually putting it in my game... whenever I get through the mountains of other projects Ive got. Here it is next to my Flop Flop. The only 2 working pins in my collection lol
[quoted image]

Your FF needs some paint and inserts filled it looks like. That's how mine was when I got it too. I was going to just do the PF and ended up doing a complete restoration.

#3885 22 days ago
Quoted from ManbearpigOG:

Your FF needs some paint and inserts filled it looks like. That's how mine was when I got it too. I was going to just do the PF and ended up doing a complete restoration.

Yeah Flip Flop isnt a full resto, just a good condition original. Thats typically how I like them but I'll make an exception for Strikes and Spares since I happened to get a nice playfield for it.

#3886 21 days ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Yeah Flip Flop isnt a full resto, just a good condition original. Thats typically how I like them but I'll make an exception for Strikes and Spares since I happened to get a nice playfield for it.

Don’t the cupped inserts bother you? I have a Tropic Isle that’s next up. I can’t handle how the cupped inserts throw the ball around.

#3887 21 days ago
Quoted from ManbearpigOG:

Don’t the cupped inserts bother you? I have a Tropic Isle that’s next up. I can’t handle how the cupped inserts throw the ball around.

Nah not really. I just accept that games this old wont play perfect. Plus Im not a good player lol

#3888 15 days ago

Have a Seawitch ....the player displays show all digits correctly in test, but in attract mode every other digit is blank -- on all displays. Bad chip or connector issue?

#3889 15 days ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Have a Seawitch ....the player displays show all digits correctly in test, but in attract mode every other digit is blank -- on all displays. Bad chip or connector issue?

Try clearing all memory/audit locations one at a time, the software will do strange stuff if garbage is present or high score not set.

#3890 15 days ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Play a game to clear the last games scores and do as gdonovan says. Should clear up after that.

#3891 15 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Try clearing all memory/audit locations one at a time, the software will do strange stuff if garbage is present or high score not set.

OK. Tried that, but now game (MPU) not booting. Just getting a flicker LED. I have 15.5V at TP3 on the power/rectifier board. Is that too high?

#3892 14 days ago

Looking for a wiring diagram or pictures for the back side of the rectifier board to a late model (1983) Bally Frontier.

I'll search the forums, there's got to be one out there somewhere, I have pictures but the wires are discolored.

TIA!

#3893 14 days ago

Pinwiki, bally/stern repair page 3.8.1 has a nice picture and wiring diagram for an AS 2518-18 rectifier board

#3894 14 days ago
Quoted from Trainmonger:

Pinwiki, bally/stern repair page 3.8.1 has a nice picture and wiring diagram for an AS 2518-18 rectifier board

NVM, I'm dumb. Found it on the Wikiwiki right after I posted this. Thanks!

#3895 14 days ago

You're very welcome and i am sure you're not dumb, we all make mistakes

1 week later
#3896 7 days ago

Very excited about the last couple pickups. Bill Davis restored Voltan and a very nicely restored Viking!

IMG_1314 (resized).jpegIMG_1314 (resized).jpegIMG_1315 (resized).jpegIMG_1315 (resized).jpegIMG_1374 (resized).jpegIMG_1374 (resized).jpegIMG_1376 (resized).jpegIMG_1376 (resized).jpeg
#3897 6 days ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Very excited about the last couple pickups. Bill Davis restored Voltan and a very nicely restored Viking!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Neither one of those games surface all that often, especially in that condition! Nice....

#3898 6 days ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

Neither one of those games surface all that often, especially in that condition! Nice....

I wasn’t planning on buying much this year, but I couldn’t help myself when I saw these up for sale.

#3899 6 days ago

Dolly fires wrong solenoids in test, all switches register correctly with none closed. I repinned sdb and mpu j4. It also fires all solenoids to start a game. All new boards. Any ideas?

IMG_1125 (resized).jpegIMG_1125 (resized).jpegIMG_1124 (resized).jpegIMG_1124 (resized).jpeg
#3900 6 days ago

Is the MPU properly switch optioned for Dolly Parton?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

1,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 3,924 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 79.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-as-2518-club/page/78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.