20231119_092241 (resized).jpg
20231118_134528 (resized).jpg
20231118_134629 (resized).jpg
20220211_135552 (resized).jpg
20220211_135559 (resized).jpg
20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 297 of 297.
3 months later
#14802 57 days ago

Houdini 150th birthday (resized).jpgHoudini 150th birthday (resized).jpg Happy 150th birthday Harry Houdini!

#14803 57 days ago
Quoted from FormerNightOwl:

[quoted image] Happy 150th birthday Harry Houdini!

Turn on the game and watch attract

#14804 56 days ago

I have been to his grave...

25473EDA-8D23-40A8-BB3B-C47DDD9BC6BD (resized).JPG25473EDA-8D23-40A8-BB3B-C47DDD9BC6BD (resized).JPG
#14805 56 days ago

For those that did not boot up yesterday, here is what was showing in attract for trivia …IMG_8761 (resized).jpegIMG_8761 (resized).jpeg

#14806 56 days ago

This Game is so awesome

#14807 56 days ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

This Game is so awesome

It has surprised me. When it came out reports were tight shots and hard. I thought great for home but poor for location.

Since mine came in it's kicking a**. Really surprised me. Maybe players have gotten better. Or really like it.

LTG : )

#14808 56 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

It has surprised me. When it came out reports were tight shots and hard. I thought great for home but poor for location.
Since mine came in it's kicking a**. Really surprised me. Maybe players have gotten better. Or really like it.
LTG : )

I love Shooters with tight shots. Houdini is kicking my a** too, but the shots feel so rewarding!

#14809 56 days ago

The right flipper is all the magic it needs ! It becomes easy to hit the tight shots with an accuracy of 90%.

I also recommend checking for weak flipper mechanics, because it's a multiball heavy game. I replaced mine and the flippers are strong as never before.

This game is one of the best games i ever played. It creates an illusion, the magnets, the trunk shot...
The humor getting stuff out of the hat.... It's full of details everywhere.

People should give it a try. AP worked out every issue and with all the upgraded It's solid as a tank and playing very well ! Also the updates added a significant amount of content like better light shows, more jokes and modes. If you like original themes... Go for it. Also teammode on this game is great, it makes it more easy to achieve some of the mini wizard modes... Maybe you all get master magicians .

If you have no woofer ! Put it on the amplifier and get a amazing sound / music package.

Btw. Check the history of houdini or at least the wikipedia side and you will get the grade of detail thats in the game. Why is a ghost telling you stuff during seance multiball, whats about the ouija board... Or the morse codes...

1 week later
#14810 45 days ago

I would like to get a shaker motor for my houdini but can't seem to find any. I can find them for October fest does anyone know if you can use an October fest shaker in a Houdini??

#14811 45 days ago
Quoted from Bkrout:

I would like to get a shaker motor for my houdini but can't seem to find any. I can find them for October fest does anyone know if you can use an October fest shaker in a Houdini??

See below.

#14812 45 days ago
Quoted from Bkrout:

Possible the cable is different and might have a diode on it. as the aux board was changed between games. Just don’t recall the specifics.

#14813 45 days ago
Quoted from Bkrout:

yes find and get a shaker!!!! sooooo friggin cool, when your ball is rattling around in the bumpers and the chains are rattling and the shaker is going it just feels so simple yet so awesome.

#14814 45 days ago

One of if not the best shaker integration in pinball.just fantastic.

#14815 44 days ago

Poking around pinside this morning.
Noticed in the classifieds that there are 7 machines for sale.
It's not that there is 7 available. It's that what a tremendous bargain I'm seeing for a great pin!
Better value than a stern pro. Bang for your buck loaded pin.
Mine is still a keeper.

#14816 39 days ago

Love the game. Bolted.

Seems like American could have used real film assets of Houdini is some sections of code.

#14817 39 days ago
Quoted from c818919taylor:

Love the game. Bolted.
Seems like American could have used real film assets of Houdini is some sections of code.

Agreed! It would have been nice to have some of those black and white Houdini clips. Grainy, scratched up, that well worked film look.

#14818 39 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Poking around pinside this morning.
Noticed in the classifieds that there are 7 machines for sale.
It's not that there is 7 available. It's that what a tremendous bargain I'm seeing for a great pin!
Better value than a stern pro. Bang for your buck loaded pin.
Mine is still a keeper.

I agree, tremendous value and I would compare it to a Stern Premium rather than a Pro, there is a LOT of stuff packed into the game. I really wish they would have kept the Balcer & Kugler gang together but given them more animation, engineering and licensing support. Josh said that the whitewood that Balcer had for the 2nd game planned (before all the changes) was his favorite shooter, sadly I suppose we'll never see that.

2 weeks later
#14819 21 days ago

I'm getting ready to purchase a Houdini Pinball Machine and I would like to purchase a NIB however, after doing some research I came across this article on pinball news.com. Apparently they did a factory tour in October of 2023 and this is what they found out about the latest run of Houdinis.

"This run of Houdini games is the last to include all the original 3D sculpts for the bumper toppers, the milk can, the spirit plaque, the stage spotlights and the wooden trunk. Future runs of the Deluxe model will replace these models with artworked flat plastics, and use decals to simulate the wood effect on the trunk."

Does anybody know if this is true? If so I definitely don't want to buy I NIB Houdini unless I can be guaranteed that I'll get one with the original 3D sculptures. One of the reasons why I like it so much is because of the high end details of the artwork and 3D sculptures. I would be pretty disappointed to open up the box on a brand new Houdini to find flat plastics and stickers decals replacing the fancy playfield items that were there before.
Is this some kind of cost saving effort for American Pinball? I was just hoping someone had some info on this that they could share before I buy one.

#14820 21 days ago

I just read the article you referenced .. wow, what a bummer.

I could kind of understand it, if it was just the base model, not the Deluxe .. but this clearly states the Deluxe will get the flat plastics and decals.

If this stands true, I don't see any positives (asides warranty, FWIW) buying a NIB compared to a well cared for HUO. We just picked up a HUO Deluxe from an original owner and we're really enjoying it.

20240403_202732 (resized).jpg20240403_202732 (resized).jpg
#14821 21 days ago

Yeah, I think that I may look for a HOU deluxe somewhere in my area. I don't want to risk spending all of that money to open the box and see cheap flat plastics and stickers in it. I don't know if there is a way to find out if I could get one of the NIBs with the original style playfield parts before it gets delivered.

Beautiful Houdini by the way.

#14822 21 days ago

Houdini is built like a tank. Mine has over 14k plays and still cleans up damn near new. All that to say...don't worry about purchasing a used one...it will look just as good as a new one once cleaned up.

20210813_142046 (resized).jpg20210813_142046 (resized).jpg20210813_142053 (resized).jpg20210813_142053 (resized).jpg20210813_142107 (resized).jpg20210813_142107 (resized).jpg20210813_142137 (resized).jpg20210813_142137 (resized).jpg
#14823 21 days ago

Damn! Houdini has got to be just about if not the most beautiful pinball machine I've seen. I love the turn of the century theme and artwork. I'll find a nice HOU deluxe soon I'm sure. Hopefully with the factory topper.

1 week later
#14824 14 days ago

Just added precision flipper and it is like a brand new game. Love it.
Anyone have an issue where only 1 ball comes out during Trunk Multi ball? If so what’s the fix?

#14825 12 days ago
Quoted from JKKeogh:

Just added precision flipper and it is like a brand new game. Love it.
Anyone have an issue where only 1 ball comes out during Trunk Multi ball? If so what’s the fix?

ive been hearing a lot about these precision flippers lately and even though I could go on google and what not and read everybodies bogus reviews, can you as a houdini fan enlighten me on the differences and why I should go that route? I still want the game to be fun and for a majority of my players that are mostly just hitting like crazy and not craddling the ball and doing all the more skilled plays. ok ready Go... and thank you in advance.

#14826 12 days ago

Does anyone know when American Pinball started to put the upgraded and improved power supply in the games from the factory? I'm looking at buying a Houdini that was made in May 2021. I was wondering if it would have the old power supply which I guess caused the flipper fading problems during mulitball. I figure that it would likely have the better power supply by then but wanted to be sure as it looks like American Pinball doesn't have any of these parts in stock anymore.

#14827 12 days ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

Does anyone know when American Pinball started to put the upgraded and improved power supply in the games from the factory? I'm looking at buying a Houdini that was made in May 2021. I was wondering if it would have the old power supply which I guess caused the flipper fading problems during mulitball. I figure that it would likely have the better power supply by then but wanted to be sure as it looks like American Pinball doesn't have any of these parts in stock anymore.

I believe may 21 will have the upgrade. Ask for a picture of the power supply.

More importantly perhaps someone has a plug and play upgrade they could share? I agree. Looks like American doesn't stock the upgraded power supply anymore (or at least give credit for it.) I'm still on the original...and experience fade sometimes...but delayed doing the upgrade and you know how it is....fomo sets in and now I'd like a way to source something for my original power supply.

#14828 11 days ago
Quoted from shelby1000:

There are two different upgrades. There was the 48V power supply to replace part of the toroid supply and then a Capacitor add-on. So you want to see which of these it may have. The newer built games have the 'toaster' supply and I believe had the cap as well. So a photo of the power supplies will shed light.

Quoted from Soundkillr:

I believe may 21 will have the upgrade. Ask for a picture of the power supply.
More importantly perhaps someone has a plug and play upgrade they could share? I agree. Looks like American doesn't stock the upgraded power supply anymore (or at least give credit for it.) I'm still on the original...and experience fade sometimes...but delayed doing the upgrade and you know how it is....fomo sets in and now I'd like a way to source something for my original power supply.

At some point the original supply will start to show issues with the 5v and 12v requiring capacitor replacements, so if you are going to do an update, you may want to consider replacing all three and totally remove the original supply.
LRS-50-5
LRS-150-12
I believe the original 'power supply upgrade was a mean well RSP-750-48, AP is no longer using meanwell but something cheaper, I would stick with the meanwell, even if it is bit more money.

Quoted from JKKeogh:

Have never heard of this. So you never get more than none ball but it is in the multiball? You are not hearing it attempt to kick out other balls?

#14829 11 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

There are two different upgrades. There was the 48V power supply to replace part of the toroid supply and then a Capacitor add-on. So you want to see which of these it may have. The newer built games have the 'toaster' supply and I believe had the cap as well. So a photo of the power supplies will shed light.

At some point the original supply will start to show issues with the 5v and 12v requiring capacitor replacements, so if you are going to do an update, you may want to consider replacing all three and totally remove the original supply.
LRS-50-5
LRS-150-12
I believe the original 'power supply upgrade was a mean well RSP-750-48, AP is no longer using meanwell but something cheaper, I would stick with the meanwell, even if it is bit more money.

Have never heard of this. So you never get more than none ball but it is in the multiball? You are not hearing it attempt to kick out other balls?

Thank you rosh. If I were to purchase rsp-750-48 are there directions archived on how to install it in the machine? I assume it supplements the original?

#14830 11 days ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

Thank you rosh. If I were to purchase rsp-750-48 are there directions archived on how to install it in the machine? I assume it supplements the original?

it replaces the high voltage, it is not a supplement. I assume the directions are still on the AP website, look for something like "Houdini Power Supply Installation". Off the top of my head, you have to tap into the AC to feed it and then transfer the brown wires over from the Toroid and connect the grounds between supplies.

#14831 11 days ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

If by chance you don't see it on AP's web site, PM me - I have a copy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

5,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Medford, NY
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Polk City, FL
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 14,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 297 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/297 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.