(Topic ID: 154521)

You'll be back Jack...Road Kings Fan club!!

By agodfrey

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 400 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by BMGfan
  • Topic is favorited by 33 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1664 (resized).jpeg
20240403_162613 (resized).jpg
pinside.899c209053ae86ea7199df83a50a50324cdd2a96 (resized).jpg
pinside.3ffce45d840dbf900cb0ee8ec94ea4c5ac5c0dfa (resized).jpg
pinside.3ffce45d840dbf900cb0ee8ec94ea4c5ac5c0dfa (1) (resized).jpg
pinside.f93733c6d6e00fd869e74cb0b2cc799fcba427b0 (resized).jpg
pinside.0f949ce2aeab2fcb5f1b0e8b382e320f6a75304e (resized).jpg
pinside.e292c41a9df48f28a7921fccb6ab3fbbd105ba13 (resized).jpg
pinside.9a4ff07ba1a156901a77abbce5f92fbbf9b58014 (resized).jpg
pinside.505e02516fdc94dad41db3447512bcfe2d1472d4 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240208_003438310 (resized).jpg
image-8 (resized).jpg
IMG-20240122-WA0002 (resized).jpg
542-9 plastic raw (resized).jpg
IMG_1371 (resized).jpeg
There are 400 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
#351 11 months ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I’m on the fence to get the clear ramp set …

Check out my pics on this thread of them. They really make the pf look killer.

1 month later
#352 9 months ago

I just bought one of these, and it came with that clear ramp mod for the back. But this one didn't come with rivets pre-installed! How frustrating. And it isn't worth the effort of removing the old rivets and installing new ones in the clear ramp, so I guess I will just hold onto this clear ramp forever. Unless somebody wants it?

#353 9 months ago
Quoted from Shaddycat:

I just bought one of these, and it came with that clear ramp mod for the back. But this one didn't come with rivets pre-installed! How frustrating. And it isn't worth the effort of removing the old rivets and installing new ones in the clear ramp, so I guess I will just hold onto this clear ramp forever. Unless somebody wants it?

It’s simple to remove the rivets and swap them over. I learned how thru this website and it was simple.

The back clear ramp completely changes this game. I suggest learning how to rivet and swapping it.

1 month later
#354 8 months ago

Whelp it's my turn to fight the Road Kings!

I pulled one out a guys basement yesterday evening. It was a gift from his son and he hasn't pulled the glass in the 20 years he's owned it.

It looks filthy, but it seems like it all works so far. I'm going to start stripping it down this weekend!

#355 8 months ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

Whelp it's my turn to fight the Road Kings!
I pulled one out a guys basement yesterday evening. It was a gift from his son and he hasn't pulled the glass in the 20 years he's owned it.
It looks filthy, but it seems like it all works so far. I'm going to start stripping it down this weekend!

Congrats. RK is such a killer game. The shots are fantastic. If you wanna make this pf really come to life, add the clear ramp. All the lighting that is blocked by that hideous black one will now shine thru. IMO that ramp is a must have for this game. Its THAT kick ass.

2 weeks later
#356 7 months ago

Well..it's full of mouse shit, nest, a little bit of mold, no legs, and a lot of grime... but it turned on and lit up and was super cheap!

After a little bit of Tinkering and a quick wipe down, everything works except for 2 displays and it can't hold a save!

I might use this as my first attempt at redecalling/ cleaning this as much as I can. Can't wait to play a game when it's on legs.
20230916_194457 (resized).jpg20230916_194457 (resized).jpg20230916_195341 (resized).jpg20230916_195341 (resized).jpg20230916_210452 (resized).jpg20230916_210452 (resized).jpg20230916_211545 (resized).jpg20230916_211545 (resized).jpg

#357 7 months ago

That's awesome! Welcome to the club. Road Kings is great fun!

I just started my own restore about two weeks ago, I've been posting about it in Vids Playfield Restore thread. Come join us if you're planning a restore!

PXL_20230911_174057571 (resized).jpgPXL_20230911_174057571 (resized).jpg
#358 7 months ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

That's awesome! Welcome to the club. Road Kings is great fun!
I just started my own restore about two weeks ago, I've been posting about it in Vids Playfield Restore thread. Come join us if you're planning a restore!
[quoted image]

Nice! I'll definitely follow along!

I'm about to move in 2 weeks, so I sadly won't be starting for a little bit. I still need to make a rotisserie as well!

#359 7 months ago

I had the opportunity recently to grab an RK at a really decent price. It's got some issues of course, but I had it up and playing for a little bit. The ball diverter was missing, so I drew one up in CAD and 3d printed it. Mounted it on a brass PCB standoff with a spring to give it just enough tension. Not sure if the trough switches are hinky or it's a connector problem, but it's refusing to start a game now. Also has some G.I. out on the upper PF. It's definitely had a hard life.

IMG_4782@0.33x (resized).png[email protected] (resized).png
#360 7 months ago

If it's now starting to refuse a game, my guess is the game isn't seeing all the balls.

I'd go thru trough switches in test. Also check start button, but i doubt thats it. Never know.

It's something simple if you were able to play earlier. Did you pop pf up? Sometimes doing so pulls on the wiring, jarring connectors in the backbox. Reseat appropriate ones.

If just part of your GI is out, it's usually a relay under pf. Jiggle the connectors gently that run to these relays while the game is on to see if gi flickers. Good way to trouble shoot them. just be careful w pin on. Also check whiteboard to see if theres a relay there too.

#361 7 months ago

Yes, that's correct - it's not seeing all the balls. It's been a bit flaky like that since I got it. Now, if you place the ball in the shooter lane, it will start a game, but once it drains it'll sit for quite a while until it starts ball search, then it'll get kicked out. I had to adjust the switch arm on the ball trough switch when I first got the game, but it's touchy. Probably needs new switches.

I do need to run through the switch test.

The other thing I noticed is that sometimes the flipper buttons won't switch the lanes. Not sure if that's a symptom of something or a whole 'nother issue.

The large black and white connectors, I gave them a touch of Deoxit and replugged them a couple times. Pretty sure the board connectors need re-pinned too.

I've had a brief look under the PF, and someone messed with the wiring, there's some janky wires that don't belong. Looks like someone tried to bypass a wire or two from the harness. Last time I worked on it, I was able to get some of the upper PF GI working again. Prob needs completely gone through.

Quoted from Blackbeard:

If it's now starting to refuse a game, my guess is the game isn't seeing all the balls.
I'd go thru trough switches in test. Also check start button, but i doubt thats it. Never know.
It's something simple if you were able to play earlier. Did you pop pf up? Sometimes doing so pulls on the wiring, jarring connectors in the backbox. Reseat appropriate ones.
If just part of your GI is out, it's usually a relay under pf. Jiggle the connectors gently that run to these relays while the game is on to see if gi flickers. Good way to trouble shoot them. just be careful w pin on. Also check whiteboard to see if theres a relay there too.

#362 7 months ago
Quoted from sevenchord:

I had the opportunity recently to grab an RK at a really decent price. It's got some issues of course, but I had it up and playing for a little bit. The ball diverter was missing, so I drew one up in CAD and 3d printed it. Mounted it on a brass PCB standoff with a spring to give it just enough tension. Not sure if the trough switches are hinky or it's a connector problem, but it's refusing to start a game now. Also has some G.I. out on the upper PF. It's definitely had a hard life.
[quoted image]

Yoooo that looks great. Mines missing! Any chance you could send me the STL so I can print one for mine??

#363 7 months ago

Just collected my Road Kings, it was stored inside this house on the 3rd floor for 25 years. Looking so forward to power up this engine!

IMG_20230918_153424 (resized).jpgIMG_20230918_153424 (resized).jpg
#364 7 months ago
IMG_20230918_153715 (resized).jpgIMG_20230918_153715 (resized).jpg
#365 7 months ago
Quoted from bananajoe:

Just collected my Road Kings, it was stored inside this house on the 3rd floor for 25 years. Looking so forward to power up this engine!
[quoted image]

These are, beyond a doubt, the craziest pinball photos I've seen all year.

#366 7 months ago

Fired it up for the first time after checking all fuses, relocated the new AA batteries (theold ones leaked but no board damage because of the way it was stored) and replaced 3 Tip 102 transistors on the CPU board which I checked while the board was out and they were faulty. After reinstalling the CPU board I had to make some adjustments and after that the game went into attract mode. After putting in 2 balls I could start a game, the music is playing, no speech tho (I could hear the voice very quiet, music much louder). Almost all coils are working! I switched it off because there are many broken rubbers and it needs a good cleaning and a few lamps and thats about it! Anyone got an idea why the speech is only whispering and the music much louder?

1 month later
#367 5 months ago

Hey folks,

Favour to ask. Would someone mind taking a high res photo of the top half of the play field for me that has the insert text legible please?

I'm cutting stencils to repaint my inserts and I want to make sure I get the text exactly right. I can only find decent reference images for the lower half.

Thanks!

#368 5 months ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

Hey folks,
Favour to ask. Would someone mind taking a high res photo of the top half of the play field for me that has the insert text legible please?
I'm cutting stencils to repaint my inserts and I want to make sure I get the text exactly right. I can only find decent reference images for the lower half.
Thanks!

Hope this helps.

IMG_1125 (resized).jpegIMG_1125 (resized).jpegIMG_1126 (resized).jpegIMG_1126 (resized).jpegIMG_1128 (resized).jpegIMG_1128 (resized).jpegIMG_1129 (resized).jpegIMG_1129 (resized).jpegIMG_1134 (resized).jpegIMG_1134 (resized).jpegIMG_1141 (resized).jpegIMG_1141 (resized).jpeg
#369 5 months ago
Quoted from usafstars:

Hope this helps.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That's more than perfect! Thank you so much!

1 month later
#370 3 months ago

Parts - Wanted
Wanted! - “Just finished a top side shop and brought a Road Kings back to life for a guy and noticed he was missing this plastic. If anyone has a decent used one please let me know.”
2024-01-08
Kent, OH
Wanted
Archived after: 25 days
Viewed: 85 times
Need a little help from the club if possible:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-kings-small-top-center-plastic-wanted

#371 3 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Parts - Wanted

Road Kings Small Top Center Plastic Wanted

Wanted! - “Just finished a top side shop and brought a Road Kings back to life for a guy and noticed he was missing this plastic. If anyone has a decent used one please let me know.”

4 days ago

Kent, OH
(2,723 km)

mrm_4

Wanted

Need a little help from the club if possible:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/road-kings-small-top-center-plastic-wanted

It doesn't help you right now, but I'm currently working on repro plastics for my personal resto project. So I may have something in a month or two.

#372 3 months ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

It doesn't help you right now, but I'm currently working on repro plastics for my personal resto project. So I may have something in a month or two.

That’s cool!!!
I’ll keep looking but I’ll take you up on that if time goes on and I don’t find one.
Thanks

#373 3 months ago

As I mentioned a couple posts ago, I'm working on making myself some repro plastics for my Road Kings restore.

Does anyone have a 542-9 plastic that's not broken they'd be kind enough to scan for me? The plastic is the one over the centre scoop to the right on the y ramp entrance. This one is pretty commonly broken at the front mounting point where the ball hit the post it's mounted to.

The broken piece was missing on the one I bought and I need the shape of the plastic to laser cut. I could guess but would prefer it be as close to the original as possible.

Thanks folks!

#374 3 months ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

As I mentioned a couple posts ago, I'm working on making myself some repro plastics for my Road Kings restore.
Does anyone have a 542-9 plastic that's not broken they'd be kind enough to scan for me? The plastic is the one over the centre scoop to the right on the y ramp entrance. This one is pretty commonly broken at the front mounting point where the ball hit the post it's mounted to.
The broken piece was missing on the one I bought and I need the shape of the plastic to laser cut. I could guess but would prefer it be as close to the original as possible.
Thanks folks!

This one correct?

IMG_1370 (resized).jpegIMG_1370 (resized).jpeg
#375 3 months ago
Quoted from usafstars:

This one correct?[quoted image]

oops, you said center scoop, sorry

How’s this one?

IMG_1371 (resized).jpegIMG_1371 (resized).jpeg
#376 3 months ago

Here's a picture of the one I'm looking for (broken):

542-9 plastic raw (resized).jpg542-9 plastic raw (resized).jpg
#377 3 months ago
Quoted from usafstars:

oops, you said center scoop, sorry
How’s this one?[quoted image]

That's the one! Thank you so much!

What are those extra holes in yours for? I haven't seen them on mine or another Road Kings I work on occasionally.

#378 3 months ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

That's the one! Thank you so much!
What are those extra holes in yours for? I haven't seen them on mine or another Road Kings I work on occasionally.

Ignore the holes, the person I bought it from had put in another post to help keep the plastic from sagging...it's a bummer for sure.

#379 3 months ago
Quoted from usafstars:

This one correct?[quoted image]

Is this an extra one you might want to sell or just taken off for a scan?

If you can lay that on a scanner I’d be interested in a file if you are willing?

1 week later
#380 3 months ago

I'm really really starting to get excited with how my repro plastics are coming along!

I've got about 70hours into art correction and recoloring at this point, it's going to really up the vibrancy of the machine. It's not a perfect reproduction, but it's close.

I'm going to get them UV printed and then laser cut them out of 1/8" PETG for a little extra durability.

While I'm doing this for me and is not a business, I can easily have a few extra sets made, so let me know if you want a set.
IMG-20240122-WA0002 (resized).jpgIMG-20240122-WA0002 (resized).jpg

#381 3 months ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

I'm really really starting to get excited with how my repro plastics are coming along!
I've got about 70hours into art correction and recoloring at this point, it's going to really up the vibrancy of the machine. It's not a perfect reproduction, but it's close.
I'm going to get them UV printed and then laser cut them out of 1/8" PETG for a little extra durability.
While I'm doing this for me and is not a business, I can easily have a few extra sets made, so let me know if you want a set.
[quoted image]

I am a fellow RK owner, and have been searching exhaustively for the same plastic you are producing, as well as a need for the right side slingshot plastic. Is there any chance you are making the right side plastic as well? I am more than willing to pay you for both pieces, once you have them as close to perfect as possible - I attached an image for the slingshot plastic in need -

image-8 (resized).jpgimage-8 (resized).jpg
#382 3 months ago
Quoted from kwl13492:

I am a fellow RK owner, and have been searching exhaustively for the same plastic you are producing, as well as a need for the right side slingshot plastic. Is there any chance you are making the right side plastic as well? I am more than willing to pay you for both pieces, once you have them as close to perfect as possible - I attached an image for the slingshot plastic in need -
[quoted image]

I'm making the full set! The full set also has a second center scoop piece since that's been broken on every RK I've ever seen. The above is just a before/after of one of the two layout sheets

Shoot me a PM

1 week later
#384 89 days ago

I just approved the proofs at the printer! In a few days I should have them back!

Nervous excitement for sure!

1 week later
#385 80 days ago

Just got the plastic back from the printer!

Not a perfect color match as I expected, UV printing CMYK really struggles with vibrancy in yellows and oranges. I'm really happy with it overall! Next up is cutting them out on the laser and then they're done!

PXL_20240208_003438310 (resized).jpgPXL_20240208_003438310 (resized).jpg
#386 80 days ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

Not a perfect color match as I expected, UV printing CMYK really struggles with vibrancy in yellows and oranges. I'm really happy with it overall! Next up is cutting them out on the laser and then they're done!
[quoted image]

Awesome follow through. Road Kings wouldn't get repro plastics from the main stream guys. Bravo.

#387 80 days ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

[quoted image]

Those look fantastic, I’m sure they look damn good once you get them in the machine. RC_like_the_cola hit the nail on the head!

#388 80 days ago

Thanks gents, those are some very kind words!

I have two sets left unspoken for. If anyone reading this wants a set, PM me. I don't plan to do another run. This isn't a business for me, I just wanted nice plastics for my own restoration

2 weeks later
#389 61 days ago

Anyone have a spare D-11197 Soundboard for roadkings, I have a machine missing the board, and it seems specific just to this pin, yikes
this is going to be a challenge to find. thanks for any help out there

1 month later
#390 30 days ago

Does anyone have some target stickers they could scan or take a high quality picture of?

I'm trying to redo them to print myself and I can't find any decent source images. I'm happy to share the file for free when it's done so others can print their own too!

Here's the drop target decal if anyone needs it. It's an SVG ready for printing and cutting.

Edit: looks like the forum converted it to a PNG. Let me know if you want it and I'll send it to you.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#391 29 days ago

Hi folks,

I've had a few people reach out to me about buying just the center scoop plastic. Unfortunately I dont want to break up the full sets I have available and also don't really want to manage inventory as this is just a hobby project I'm sharing.

So that said, if I can get enough people to commit to buying one or two center scoop plastics each then I can justify a run of them.

I'd need commitments to sell at least 16 center scoops to justify a run. I can do more obviously if there's more interest than that.

At the minimum run size the center scoops would probably shake out at about $20/ea. The price would go down with a larger run. This price is just above my cost to justify my time.

#392 29 days ago
Quoted from BMGfan:Hi folks,
I've had a few people reach out to me about buying just the center scoop plastic. Unfortunately I dont want to break up the full sets I have available and also don't really want to manage inventory as this is just a hobby project I'm sharing.
So that said, if I can get enough people to commit to buying one or two center scoop plastics each then I can justify a run of them.
I'd need commitments to sell at least 16 center scoops to justify a run. I can do more obviously if there's more interest than that.
At the minimum run size the center scoops would probably shake out at about $20/ea. The price would go down with a larger run. This price is just above my cost to justify my time.

Put me down for one!

#393 27 days ago

I got sent these pic of the plastics I did installed in the buyers machine! He said the fit perfectly and loved the look of them. Someone else at my maker space (where we also have a road kings), described the plastics as "eye-wateringly good".

Let me know if you want a set, only two left and I don't know when or if I'll do another run.

pinside.0f949ce2aeab2fcb5f1b0e8b382e320f6a75304e (resized).jpgpinside.0f949ce2aeab2fcb5f1b0e8b382e320f6a75304e (resized).jpgpinside.3ffce45d840dbf900cb0ee8ec94ea4c5ac5c0dfa (1) (resized).jpgpinside.3ffce45d840dbf900cb0ee8ec94ea4c5ac5c0dfa (1) (resized).jpgpinside.3ffce45d840dbf900cb0ee8ec94ea4c5ac5c0dfa (resized).jpgpinside.3ffce45d840dbf900cb0ee8ec94ea4c5ac5c0dfa (resized).jpgpinside.505e02516fdc94dad41db3447512bcfe2d1472d4 (resized).jpgpinside.505e02516fdc94dad41db3447512bcfe2d1472d4 (resized).jpgpinside.899c209053ae86ea7199df83a50a50324cdd2a96 (resized).jpgpinside.899c209053ae86ea7199df83a50a50324cdd2a96 (resized).jpgpinside.9a4ff07ba1a156901a77abbce5f92fbbf9b58014 (resized).jpgpinside.9a4ff07ba1a156901a77abbce5f92fbbf9b58014 (resized).jpgpinside.e292c41a9df48f28a7921fccb6ab3fbbd105ba13 (resized).jpgpinside.e292c41a9df48f28a7921fccb6ab3fbbd105ba13 (resized).jpgpinside.f93733c6d6e00fd869e74cb0b2cc799fcba427b0 (resized).jpgpinside.f93733c6d6e00fd869e74cb0b2cc799fcba427b0 (resized).jpg
#394 24 days ago

Hey there fellow kings of road..im in the club! Just picked up a fairly decent players condition.

*could anyone tell me where these orange wires go? I was relocating the batteries and not sure where it pulled it out from. Unfortunately, the two orange wires swung up and sparked on the metal panel near the top, inside the backbox. Hopefully nothing got damaged but definitely not a good to see. There's also a small brown wire there I'm not sure about qhere it goes either. Thanks

20240403_162613 (resized).jpg20240403_162613 (resized).jpg

#395 24 days ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Hey there fellow kings of road..im in the club! Just picked up a fairly decent players condition.
*could anyone tell me where these orange wires go? I was relocating the batteries and not sure where it pulled it out from. Unfortunately, the two orange wires swung up and sparked on the metal panel near the top, inside the backbox. Hopefully nothing got damaged but definitely not a good to see. There's also a small brown wire there I'm not sure about qhere it goes either. Thanks
[quoted image]

I believe they go to the knocker, mine is in the top right corner. Mine doesn’t have the second lug connected, bought used and never knew it had a knocker till now LOL.

IMG_1664 (resized).jpegIMG_1664 (resized).jpeg
#396 24 days ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

I got sent these pic of the plastics I did installed in the buyers machine! He said the fit perfectly and loved the look of them. Someone else at my maker space (where we also have a road kings), described the plastics as "eye-wateringly good".
Let me know if you want a set, only two left and I don't know when or if I'll do another run.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Isn’t that clear back ramp kick ass??

#397 24 days ago
Quoted from usafstars:

I believe they go to the knocker, mine is in the top right corner. Mine doesn’t have the second lug connected, bought used and never knew it had a knocker till now LOL.[quoted image]

Thanks for the help, i appreciate it. Yeah, Mine is missing the knocker as well. It's completely removed! I didn't think i pulled any pin connectors out but wasn't sure.

*imagine hating a knocker so much you removed everything and left the wires hanging there exposed! What's really bothering you!?

#398 24 days ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Thanks for the help, i appreciate it. Yeah, Mine is missing the knocker as well. It's completely removed! I didn't think i pulled any pin connectors out but wasn't sure.
*imagine hating a knocker so much you removed everything and left the wires hanging there exposed! What's really bothering you!?

LOL, mystery solved. It must be, I had no idea I had one and now to find out it's there but not connected...geez. Who doesn't like a good Knocker!

#399 22 days ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

Hi folks,

I need one if you do a run. All my other plastics are good except this one.

1 week later
#400 13 days ago

One last set of plastics left. I don't know if there's enough demand for another run. $95USD Shipped.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 400 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/youll-be-back-jackroad-kings-fan-club/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.