7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 83 days ago by Eagles77
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230830_172203 (resized).jpg
    20230818_210507 (resized).jpg
    20231003_182204 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 months ago

I installed the 2.0 light board kit for my original WoZ run about a year ago. It worked just fine for 3-4 months. I have been dealing with JJP customer services for last 9 months. The lights will randomly stuff off, sometimes it is the wrong colors, etc. A reboot will not resolve it. We have been through nearly everything they can think off. If I pull a single cat5 cable from the WOZ1 board (fish-shaped), the lights will return and will work properly for some time until it doesn't. I wanted to get this out there to see if anyone else has had any trouble with their 2.0 boards. JJP seems lost for ideas as my last conversation directed me to reinstall the software and ensure all the lights were active in the settings. Images are some wild examples.

20230818_210507 (resized).jpg20230818_210507 (resized).jpg20230830_172203 (resized).jpg20230830_172203 (resized).jpg20231003_182204 (resized).jpg20231003_182204 (resized).jpg
    #2 7 months ago

The new switches power supply might have dropped. check it and adjust it under load.

#3 7 months ago

Why would the lights recover by simply disconnecting and connecting a cat5 cable?

4 months later
    #4 84 days ago

Just in cade anyone takes a look at this, it was a bad cat5 cable. Chased this problem for over 6 months.

#5 84 days ago

Just saw your post and I’m starting to have a bunch of problems with my original 5v boards was able to just switch out the odd board ever so often when it failed but recently been having so many problems with them. Do u recommend switching out to the 2.0 kit and was it difficult to do the change over. Thanks

#6 84 days ago
    Quoted from Eagles77:

was it difficult to do the change over.

I believe you'll find it more time consuming than difficult. Big boards are an even swap. Small boards need a starter hole and one screw. Instructions say two screws but one is enough.

Removing castle playfield and spinning house playfield is the hardest. And full instructions for that in the manual.

Strip out old data and power cables. Run new. Add B.A.G. Board and Hub board, and new power supply.

LTG : )

#7 83 days ago
    Quoted from Eagles77:

Just saw your post and I’m starting to have a bunch of problems with my original 5v boards was able to just switch out the odd board ever so often when it failed but recently been having so many problems with them. Do u recommend switching out to the 2.0 kit and was it difficult to do the change over. Thanks

2.0 is rock solid. I have no hesitation in recommending it. The original light system is endless headaches once the problems start.

You'll find this thread very helpful:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/has-anyone-installed-woz-20-yet-im-about-too-

#8 83 days ago
    Quoted from Eagles77:

It's a necessity if you own a WoZ. As others have said, it's time consuming, and you will be drilling to the underside of the playfield. I found the instructions decent. I took my time, and took an entire day to dedicate to it. It took 8-10 hours for me to do the entire project.

#9 83 days ago
    Quoted from Eagles77:

Yes, you need the 2.0 kit. The specific chips used in the 5v boards are never going to be made again. You need to upgrade your platform, so that you can get your lights fixed in the future... and getting a 2.0 kit might be possible now, but there have been long periods when you couldn't get the 2.0 lighting.

Get the 2.0 lighting, and if nothing else, put it in the bottom of the game for when there is no more availability of the 5v boards.

And when you say 'recently been having so many problems with them', that's EXACTLY why you need to make the change. The original light boards work until they start having problems you can't ever get resolved.

It is difficult (think of accessing every single bulb in the game and running new wiring to it). It's no more difficult than it has to be, but it's quite a bit of work.

#10 83 days ago

Thanks guys for all the advice I’m going to have to order the kit. And there in stock which is great. Sorry for hijacking your thread hope your woz is playing great now that u found the problem.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-20-light-board-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.