Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Deez
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

So, I don't get it. Maybe it's because I've always been intrigued with abandoned buildings, closed restaurants, etc. I often wonder what it was like to work or live there. I'm also very curious about failed things such as the Coleco Adam, IBM PC Junior, Wang, etc. Perhaps, it could be that I like learning about why these items failed and what can be learned from it.

So why am I so intrigued by Gameplan? Granted, I owned two GP pins early on and they became my favorites (Andromeda, Sharpshooter). Why did they go down in the height of pinball's greatness? Any truth to the rumor that people stole machines on the way out?

I'm hoping a few guys who have been in the business a while could share some more light on the company other than what I get to read on Google.

I'm just obsessed

Thanks

#2 10 years ago

I think I remember the crew loaded a tractor trailer with what they could before the law got there to shut it all down. Its a shame though as the "Loc Ness" pin would have been a winner!~SpOoKy

#3 10 years ago

there is one on the chicago craiglist for 750. turns out one of his family members worked there.

#4 10 years ago

As the story is told, Game Plan was started by Wendell McAdams (of Chicago Coin), Lee Goldboss and Mike Abrams. The company did eight cocktail pins before doing it's first conventional game - Sharpshooter. Roger Sharpe was brought in as an outside consultant and he drew up the design of Sharpshooter at the request of Goldboss. Sharpe says the layout was a modification of Gottlieb's Sky Jump with the bottom bumpers inspired from Williams' Satin Doll. McAdams said it would be too expensive to build but Goldboss green-lighted the project anyway.

Quoted from SpOoKyRiDeS:

I think I remember the crew loaded a tractor trailer with what they could before the law got there to shut it all down. Its a shame though as the "Loc Ness" pin would have been a winner!~Spooky

I read this as well and that the parts were loaded into a barn outside Chicago where the roof collapsed after a snowfall and the contents were lost.

viperrwk

#5 10 years ago

I've always been intrigued by Gameplan too. I have Cyclopes and Andromeda, and they are very fun to play. Other than having to adapt some standup and drop targets for them to replace broken originals, I've never had any problems with them.

#6 10 years ago

I'm jealous. I love Andromeda and other GP pins, but they never come up for sale around here.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

As the story is told, Game Plan was started by Wendell McAdams (of Chicago Coin), Lee Goldboss and Mike Abrams. The company did eight cocktail pins before doing it's first conventional game - Sharpshooter. Roger Sharpe was brought in as an outside consultant and he drew up the design of Sharpshooter at the request of Goldboss. Sharpe says the layout was a modification of Gottlieb's Sky Jump with the bottom bumpers inspired from Williams' Satin Doll. McAdams said it would be too expensive to build but Goldboss green-lighted the project anyway.

I read this as well and that the parts were loaded into a barn outside Chicago where the roof collapsed after a snowfall and the contents were lost.
viperrwk

Yeah viper, that's what I remember too. They are fun pins once you get them going right though. Someday I'd love an Andromeda myself!~SpOoKy

#8 10 years ago

I used to love playing sharpshooter in ~1979/80(?). Hopefully one will find the way to my gameroom.

#9 10 years ago

I think when you play a GamePlan pin they are different and if you don't really give them time, you really miss out on their charm. Once you get them they are fun games with each one having some quirk that they tried to make them unique.

#10 10 years ago

This one just popped up near Chicago. Looks interesting.
chicago.craigslist.org link

Alex

#11 10 years ago

I just restored a sharpshooter to keep. cabinet repainted, pf touched up and cleared, everything rebuilt. ORIGINAL unbroken drops with original clear labels in great condition. 9.5/10 plastics 9/10 backglass. new Echo Lake MPU, otherwise original boards in super condition. I bought it as a nonworking $100 project game.

I said it's to keep but I could part with it to someone appreciates the 'Plan.

#12 10 years ago

The only ones I have played are Sharpshooter and Cyclopes. I love both of them.

#13 10 years ago

Andromeda is great. Never played any others. I'd pick one up if it ever popped up semi-locally

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Andromeda is great. Never played any others. I'd pick one up if it ever popped up semi-locally

Dude, I LOVE that game. Still my favorite game ever. Unfortunately, mine was mint but had a GI problem. I could not get it resolved so I sold it.

There is nothing like those Defender type sounds to raise your heart beat. Man, that 2 ball multiball was the best.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Why did they go down in the height of pinball's greatness?

As collectors, it's easy to think of the 1980s as a great time for pinball, but remember Williams was going to close down the pinball division in 1984.

Space Shuttle was a smashing success and thus is know as "The game that saved pinball".......

#16 10 years ago

I've always been interested in Gameplan because their gameplay, artwork, and engineering are different. I repaired a Sharpshooter for another collector that had just about every chip on the main board blown out (as he accidentally mixed up the connectors). Fun game with great sounds (that I finally heard after replacing the blown out amplifier chips on the sound board).

I recently picked up a Game Plan Cyclopes. I've been looking forever for one and have only seen one other (in person at Expo). Love it.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

As collectors, it's easy to think of the 1980s as a great time for pinball, but remember Williams was going to close down the pinball division in 1984.
Space Shuttle was a smashing success and thus is know as "The game that saved pinball".......

The Bally "mafia" shut down Game Plan. No joke. Goldboss will tell you if you ever speak to him. I did earlier this year when he bought all my Gameplan parts to restore some of his games that had the boards stolen out of them.

#18 10 years ago

I too love Game Plan games. I have 6 of them, but have only played 4 of them. 2 of them are in the project que. Cyclopes is the #1 wanted pin on my list.

Jason

#19 10 years ago

I have a game plan lizard for sale around Chicago. Plays great, I just broke it down for storage. $700
Jay

1 month later
#20 10 years ago

I currently own 28 Gameplan pins want to talk about being obsessed ?

#21 10 years ago

I just picked up a sharpshooter, Machine looks clean, owner said Mpu was bad, Echo lake boards are all spoken
for on his run of 40 boards. Any body out there that will repair an Mpu 2 Board?? Sure would like to get this game up and running. It looks like its built like a tank

#22 10 years ago

Passed on a Captain Hook for $700 a while back.

#23 10 years ago

I've always wondered what was the deal with Gameplan's Challenger pinball? Apparently never produced as there's virtually no info on IPDB. Wasn't there supposed to be a tie in to the Challenger video game? Any information appreciated.

#24 10 years ago

just had a chance to buy a Sharpshooter with a fully populated playfield for $275 in K.C. M.O. Cpu is battery damaged. Cabinet looked good. 2nd playfield was ok, could be a nice machine if you put some time into it.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from 80spit:

Echo lake boards are all spoken
for on his run of 40 boards.

And supposedly will not be making any more due to parts availability.

viperrwk

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from brimc:

I currently own 28 Gameplan pins want to talk about being obsessed ?

Considering there are 26 in the DB, three of which were never made (4 if you count LNM) I'd vote for you as the most obsessed!

viperrwk

#27 10 years ago

Love my Game Plan Star Trip! But would it would be great to find an Andromeda!

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Jags:

Love my Game Plan Star Trip! But would it would be great to find an Andromeda!</block

Love my Game Plan Star Trip! But would it would be great to find an Andromeda!

Andromeda is my favorite game. I've had it longer that all my games but one. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

#29 10 years ago

I have a NOS Attila the Hun PF if anyone is interested. Make me a offer.

#30 10 years ago

Most of my friends know that I'm a secret GamePlan fan. At least I was. I've owned almost ALL of them.
Andromeda, Cyclopes and shar[e]pshooter I/II are their best with honorable mention going to captain hook.

When you put WIlliams COmet up next to them tho, it's easy to see why they closed their doors in 85. Lockness was the first one to even have a ramp.

If my Cyclopes didn't go into Zach Sharpe's private collection, it would still be in my house today.

LED displays and decently reliable hardware are the strong points. leaking battery and those damn connectors between the head and cabinet are the downfalls.
D

#31 10 years ago

I had all but loch ness and Global warfare. I got rid of all of the cocktail machines with the roulette wheel in the center of the playfield. I have doubles and triples of star trip, Coney island, sharpshooter, lizard, and Super nova.

#32 10 years ago

if you guys are interested in that Sharpshooter, it's still available in K.C. I didn't buy it.

1 year later
#33 9 years ago

I have a NOS black apron. Anyone need it?

1 month later
#34 8 years ago

I'm actively hunting for a Super Nova. Hope to join the list of Game Plan owners soon.

#35 8 years ago

ebay.com link: Sharpshooter Vintage Pinball Machine 1979

Good price for a sharpshooter. Not mine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.98
$ 16.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-am-i-obsessed-with-gameplan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.