(Topic ID: 114575)

WHO dunnit Club - And then I was on the case...

By scylla

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“WHO dunnit?”

• Tony 21 votes
    16%
  • Victoria 23 votes
    17%
  • Butler 31 votes
    23%
  • Bruno 15 votes
    11%
  • Trixie 45 votes
    33%

(135 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

playfield slide assembly (resized).jpg
27001d1c-e381-495f-86e7-f46eabaa2422 (resized).jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-29 um 12.48.35 (resized).png
lift ramps (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7876877_7 (resized).jpg
IMG_8253 (resized).JPG
IMG_8100 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240321_180545638 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180539723 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_171323528 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180559595 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240321_180552410 (resized).jpg
IMG_4133 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231223_225004619 (resized).jpg
IMG_4942 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4941 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 23.
#1 9 years ago

Just got one this weekend and there doesn't seem to be a members club yet (unless I'm an idiot who can't use the forum search feature properly - which is also entirely possible).

Mine is definitely suffering from playfield insert wear - which I believe is quite typical. There doesn't seem to be a fix for this from what I've read so far (no playfield insert decals available). Is that right?

Anyway, having tons of fun playing so far!

#2 9 years ago

Great game and my daughters favorite ,catching killer multi ball and midnight madness are great features. I also think the light show and audio are some of the best .Hope ramps and slot wheels are reproduced currently their unavailable.

#3 9 years ago

A new owner here as well, love the theme and the game is addicting!

#4 9 years ago

One of my top three all time favorites.

#5 9 years ago

Was in the Club, got bored quickly. Exited club. Cool game, no real staying power.

#6 9 years ago

I'm in the club. Just bought one for my wife (and me) for christmas.

#7 9 years ago

Great game!

#8 9 years ago

All games need midnight madness.

#9 9 years ago

I have owned a W?D almost since I started into pinball and am currently on my 9th making a nicer one each time, a friend has modded the roulette wheel to spin and is currently working on making the phone shake when it rings!

Its a great game which is fairly rare (just over 2400 made). I wonder how many are still about?

I meet Barry Oursler last year and he signed my translate . It is not a well liked game over here and is known as "why-play-it" but that suits me. People are usually presently surprised when they play it and my kids all loved it while they were growing up, it's still the game they will switch on when they are visiting.

#10 9 years ago

Pinball is all about personal tastes. WHOdunnit was a "must own" game for me. My game and playfield are in pretty nice condition (although there are a couple of marks on both sides of the backbox). And I have a few spare parts set aside for it, including an OEM playfield (hung on the wall next to the game) and two complete center ramp assemblies. I talked to Dwight Sullivan about the game at a factory tour during Expo years ago and he told me how to get off the elevator on the third floor a second time for Secret Mania scoring.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

I have owned a W?D almost since I started into pinball and am currently on my 9th making a nicer one each time, a friend has modded the roulette wheel to spin and is currently working on making the phone shake when it rings!

Wow - those are very cool mods.

#12 9 years ago

It has a lot going for it for sure. The theme, animations, flashers are all top notch for sure. But as an owner but I'd get rid of it if I could. Good for guests and the ladies LOVE it which is an awesome combo to have.
But the staying power does lack a little. Once i had my big game I really haven't had an need to play it again.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I talked to Dwight Sullivan about the game at a factory tour during Expo years ago and he told me how to get off the elevator on the third floor a second time for Secret Mania scoring.

I've definitely never done this - even by accident. How does it work?

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from matt_adams:

a friend has modded the roulette wheel to spin and is currently working on making the phone shake when it rings!

If he doesn't mind, could you post what he did for those mods?

#15 9 years ago

Member here too. I love ours and so does the rest of the family. It really is a great game for non-pinheads... so much fun listening to people get into it.

#16 9 years ago

love mine , it was the third pin i ever owned , still have it !

#17 9 years ago

Love this game, I'm on my second one, glad more people don't like it... keeps the prices reasonable.

Jody

#18 9 years ago

Great game to have. Everyone who visits here walks right passed the other ones to play it. I'll never get rid of it. Plus, the rooftop champ initials always show on the slots screen so everyone loves trying to get their initials there before they leave.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

If he doesn't mind, could you post what he did for those mods?

I know there is some gearing under the plastic as he had to offset the motor because there is not much room due to the right return ramp. Next time I have the glass off I will take it off and photo the back so you can see. The shaking phone should be cool as well!

#20 9 years ago

Love going for the sewer awards

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

You can get off the elevator on the third floor a second time for Secret Mania scoring.

Quoted from scylla:

How does that work?

The elevator dial shows on the DMD whenever the ball goes through the up or down ramps (left and right sides of the main center ramp) with the numbers of any floors you've already visited blacked out and only the remaining floor numbers lit up. Exiting the elevator on the third floor once (shooting the center lane of the main center ramp while the elevator is on floor three) will black out the 3. Any time after that when the elevator arrow on the DMD is going either up or down past the blacked out 3 you must press both flippers together three times and you will see the elevator arrow on the DMD reverse direction and stop on the blacked out 3. Then you must shoot the center lane of the main center ramp to exit on the 3rd floor a second time (if you miss the center lane and the elevator goes up or down away from the third floor you will have to shoot ramps to get it back on the blacked out 3 again). Exiting on the third floor the second time will cause Secret Mania to flash on the DMD and various bulbs will alternate flashing and almost everything scores 3,000 points for each hit.

#22 9 years ago

very cool . i will have to try that !!

#23 9 years ago

I owned one for a few years and it was played more by my wife and kids than any machine I have ever owned. I miss it a lot.

1 week later
#24 9 years ago

My husband is on a two week business trip and I just booted him as Grand Champion (I was already Roof Master). He still has scores #1 and #2. Objective now is to push him off the leader board completely before he gets home.

1 month later
#25 9 years ago

Rebuilding reels and have a quick question - is the reel test supposed to move the reels, or simply light up the individual reel and display open/closed opto status as the reel is manually turned?

#26 9 years ago

I'm part of the club! Picked mine up back in December. Cool game for sure!

IMG_3169.JPGIMG_3169.JPG
#27 9 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

Rebuilding reels and have a quick question - is the reel test supposed to move the reels, or simply light up the individual reel and display open/closed opto status as the reel is manually turned?

It's supposed to move the reels too. Make sure you have the high voltage safety interlock defeated, in order to make the reels work.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Was in the Club, got bored quickly. Exited club. Cool game, no real staying power.

Agreed. And the example that we owned was sweet (Bill Davis clear coated PF).

I like the fact that W?D is unique, and I enjoy the film noir type theme...but it did get old pretty quick and lacks staying power.

#29 9 years ago

Just made this cab mod today for my friends who dunnit.

Headlights hook up to G.I.

And the purple is a flashlamp inside.

Putting it in his machine tonight.

Hope you guys like it.

CAM00289.jpgCAM00289.jpg
CAM00290.jpgCAM00290.jpg
CAM00291.jpgCAM00291.jpg

CAM00279.jpgCAM00279.jpg
#30 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I like the fact that W?D is unique, and I enjoy the film noir type theme...but it did get old pretty quick and lacks staying power.

In a small collection it would get old quick. Guests seem to like it quite a bit. Not a bad looking title at all, but it could really shine if only there was some randomness to the suspects/interrogations/etc.

#31 9 years ago

I ended up adding a DMD Extender to ours last night. Boy it sure does look good with a few extra colors.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I like the fact that W?D is unique, but it did get old pretty quick and lacks staying power.

Looking at your "previously owned" list it seems a lot of pins have lacked staying power. Just sayin'.

Quoted from erak:

Just made this cab mod today for my friends WHOdunnit.

That cab looks great! I hope it doesn't obstruct views when installed. Where are you going to mount it?

#33 9 years ago

W?D was my first own pin too, bought it about three months back. I knew it from more than a decade ago when I frequenty went to a bar with my father specifically to play the pin they had on location, which was a W?D.

I love the theme which is really polished and everything fits together nicely.

I have made a mod for the "Tonys Palace" sign which some of you might be interested in, will post pictures at the end of next week, by then I should have parts availabe to instantly make a few more in case you like it. I was also working on replacement slot machine reels (95% done, no progress for two months, need to source screws that are really hard to get in Euroland when you hae no clue as to which thread is actually needed for a fit), slot machine window (95% done as well, need to perfect the glueing process) and might try to replicate the three-pronged elevator ramp. The last is a project that seems to be put off or quite some time as I now have two other machines to fuss over, as well as being really busy jobwise.

Now that we have this nice thread I will definitely post here once I get something nice done.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Looking at your "previously owned" list it seems a lot of pins have lacked staying power. Just sayin'.

That's what I call leaping to conclusions.

Pins like Tron LE and MM are a couple of my favorite pins of all time. Yet...I don't own them anymore. According to your logic, those don't have staying power. You would be wrong.

Just sayin'.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

That cab looks great! I hope it doesn't obstruct views when installed. Where are you going to mount it?

CAM00294.jpgCAM00294.jpg

Right here.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

All games need midnight madness.

I forgot this title had this. I typically set the time on my midnight madness machines 12 hours off so I can get the madness midday.

#37 9 years ago

Here's a quick little video of our WHO Dunnit using a DMD Extender...

The kiddos helped pick the colors and they fit the artwork colors pretty well. Looks a little better in person BTW.

#38 9 years ago

I am not a member, but in need of a few answers.
I'm creating a new reproduction file for the Tech Chart.
There are some switches in the matrix that are opto's, nothing special there.
But when these opto's are not in line with the other opto's bells start to ring in my head.
The specific switches are from the Slot Index Left Reel (12) and Slot Index Center Reel (25).
The right reel (48) is in line with the other opto's, so no problem there.

Can someone please check if that is right or not?
Which color wires are going to the reel opto's?

Who_Dunnit_sw-matrix.jpgWho_Dunnit_sw-matrix.jpg

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Which color wires are going to the reel opto's?

I'm assuming you're looking for the wires for the connectors to the reel opto boards? I'm working on the reels now, so I can get you whatever info/pics you need

IMG_3802-721.JPGIMG_3802-721.JPG

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Just made this cab mod today for my friends WHO dunnit.
Headlights hook up to G.I.
And the purple is a flashlamp inside.
Putting it in his machine tonight.
Hope you guys like it.

Would you be willing to make more?

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from scylla:

Would you be willing to make more?

Sure, but the cars take a few weeks to come in from china. And they are not that cheap. Then I need to add the leds and wireing.
So if you are willing to wait and pay a reasonable amount. I can make more.

This one was made just for a friend of mine as a getting a new pin present.

But if there is a few people that want them that might reduce the cost.

As a one off with I would say $100

If I was to maybe do a run of 5 cabs $75 each.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Pins like TRON LE and MM are a couple of my favorite pins of all time. Yet I don't own them anymore. According to your logic, those don't have staying power. You would be wrong.

But they didn't have enough "staying power" for you or you would still own both of them.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

But they didn't have enough "staying power" for you or you would still own both of them.

Miss the point much? Yes. Yes you do.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Miss the point much?

You are just not very good at supporting your point. The fact is they did not have enough staying power for you (regardless or how much you like them) or you would still have them. And you don't.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

You are just not very good at supporting your point. The fact is they did not have enough staying power for you (regardless or how much you like them) or you would still have them. And you don't.

1 week later
#46 9 years ago

Figured I'd cross post here as well with an issue I'm having with reels/optos

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wdwho-dunnit-reel-opto-not-reading

5 months later
#47 8 years ago

Here's my topper for my Whodunnit. Its a real old phone with a colour changing led behind the question mark and EL wire that (for the hand set cord) that lights up when the flasher is going on the one in the game.

Phone.jpgPhone.jpg

4 weeks later
#48 8 years ago

Hey everyone I just got a Who Dunnit as my very first pinball table on Sunday. So excited! I had been looking for that game specifically and managed to get one in very good condition not too far away. Everything seems to work fine, except for two or three bulbs that need to be replaced. The previous owner was nice enough to give me a bag of assorted bulbs with the pin though, so I'll get into that later. Also, the plunger's spring is a little weak, barely shooting the ball above the "I" target, so I'll see that I get a harder one soon. I already played a few rounds with a buddy and I think it was the right table choice for me at the moment. Yay!

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Xilef:

Hey everyone I just got a WHO dunnit as my very first pinball table on Sunday. So excited! I had been looking for that game specifically and managed to get one in very good condition not too far away. Everything seems to work fine, except for two or three bulbs that need to be replaced. The previous owner was nice enough to give me a bag of assorted bulbs with the pin though, so I'll get into that later. Also, the plunger's spring is a little weak, barely shooting the ball above the "I" target, so I'll see that I get a harder one soon. I already played a few rounds with a buddy and I think it was the right table choice for me at the moment. Yay!

Congrats on the pick up, played a bit of who dunnit the other day for the first time, I really got into it, cool game an I sort of understood what was going on, which is rare for me, so it shows this game executes the storyline in a good way. looking forward to going back to the pub where it was on location..

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from tandem2:

Love this game, I'm on my second one, glad more people don't like it... keeps the prices reasonable.
Jody

well Said .....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Camanche, IA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

There are 1,123 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 23.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/who-dunnit-club-and-then-i-was-on-the-case and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.