Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190519_132824_resized (resized).jpg
20191011_210704_resized (resized).jpg
2017082323273892943 (resized).png
rb.jpg
tm.jpg
Camerata+Mediolanense+camerata6.jpg
There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 12 years ago

I've had a few DE games in the past but have never found one that I feel is a great game... I feel my collection is missing this manufacturer, so I was wondering what the opinions are on which games are the best by them? I've never tried some games like Rocky & Bullwinkle... I know it's all down to opinions, and that's all I'm asking for... so opinionise away!

#2 12 years ago

I have never met a DE game that I enjoyed playing. Bally/Williams was the Ferrari of pins and Data East was the YUGO.

#3 12 years ago

Guns & Roses

#4 12 years ago

Probably the best. But still overated imho.

#5 12 years ago

from my experience, Back to the Future and Tales from the Crypt, in that order. never played gnr much.

DE's have really bad sound imo, and also tend to be very clunky games (hook is extremely clunky). I could never really get into Jurassic park either, too bad because I love the theme.

i really liked my BTTF and would definitely get another one someday. fun game

#6 12 years ago

Tales From The Crypt, easily. Tommy would actually be as good (and has great audio) if it wasn't for the slingshots of death which fire the ball into the outlanes regularly.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Tales from the Crypt, easily.

+1

#8 12 years ago

I like LAH, LW3 in addition to G&R and TFTC in terms of playing but know that you are into the art so I would have to say Torpedo Alley. It makes me smile and is good to play.

#9 12 years ago

These are all the Sega/DE games I've ever actually played, in order of preference.

GnR
Baywatch (sega/DE)
LW3
Back to the Future
TFTC (the one I played didn't work so well so...)
South Park (hate the theme.. can't get past it)
Jurassic Park
Hook
Monday Night Football

#10 12 years ago

I don't even need to play this one but I cant tell you it's probably the worst DE ever.. even with only 2 units made.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4339

Supposedly features a target with a picture of Tori Spelling on it, that when hit, says "I love you daddy."

#11 12 years ago

It usually goes:
GNR
Tommy
TFTC/JP

I would also consider MSF and BF to be in there since they were in design when Sega was DE. After BF they switched to whitestar hardware and really started the bom cutdown that sega would become known for.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from emo:

know that you are into the art

I assume you meant 'aren't into the art'... Correct, I do have a problem with DE art for some reason, it normally looks so ugly that I can't stand looking at it... especially the games you mention... (edit: except G'n'R, that looks good!) it's the additional lines the artist puts in the art to create shading... I suppose he's trying to make the imagaes look more realistic and less cartoon like, but to me it just makes the art look messy and characters look old...

No-one mentioned Royal Rumble I notice... There's one on location near me (probably the only pin on location in the entire country that I've decided to live in!!) that I've played a few times.. the GI is shot, so it's hard to see the ball at times, but from what I can tell, it looks like fun... and although I find the theme and art ugly, for some reason I find it bearable!!

Quoted from mystic:

Baywatch (sega/DE)

I have Baywatch and love that game, but it's under the Sega name...

#13 12 years ago

I think DE games- are better than several B/W. I have 8 games -3 are DE.

Top 5 imo
TFTC
GNR
JP
TOMMY
SW

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

and also tend to be very clunky games

I agree there, and this is off-putting... it's the same with Sega, and to be honest, I find the same with Stern now... Tron was very clunky sounding... I found myself pressing the left flipper to stop the solenoid firing that stops the ball going round the loop even though I was going for the Flyns arcade scoop skill shot!

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from dung:

It usually goes:
GNR
Tommy
TFTC/JP

I personally would say:

1 Tommy
2 GNR
3 TFTC

#16 12 years ago

TFTC and LW3 are the only two I've played. TFTC is excellent.

#18 12 years ago

No mention of Batman. I have it and have been pleased with the game play (minus the missing parts talked about in another thread). It's not deep or real difficult but it's a really fun relaxing pin. If you are looking for a skill pin then look somewhere else but if you are looking for a good pin for the family I think it's a good one.

#19 12 years ago

Sorry 85vett but batman is an early de and like all the small dmd de's it is incredibly shallow. It is a very nice looking machine, but the ruleset is very simple and it just doesn't have long term replay value compared to the others listed.

#20 12 years ago

TFTC and SW for sure, great games for all skill levels.

#21 12 years ago

GNR certainly looks like it could be a great game... lots going on, I like the 3rd flipper... the ONLY snag is that personally I'm not a fan of the music... Not being a fan of the theme isn't normally an issue, but wiith music I find it more difficult to swallow having a game of a band I don't like... now if it was a Camerata Mediolanense theme, that would be a lot better

Camerata+Mediolanense+camerata6.jpgCamerata+Mediolanense+camerata6.jpg

#22 12 years ago

Data East made some great pins despite what the B/W fanboys will tell you. Tommy happens to be my favorite but I am a big fan of The Who. Time Machine is a fun older DE.

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Sorry 85vett but batman is an early de and like all the small dmd de's it is incredibly shallow. It is a very nice looking machine, but the ruleset is very simple and it just doesn't have long term replay value compared to the others listed.

All good. That's why I only recommended it for a family style pin. It's great for kids and visitors as you just hit play and go to town. Not much of a challenge for enthusiast though. I bought it for my wife and BOP for me. She almost never touches the BOP as it ticks her off but will spend hours on Batman.

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from pinb0t:

Time Machine is a fun older DE.

I agree, I sold mine to my friend Jay so I still get to play it. Great changing music, million ramp shot, chimes, love it!

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from mystic:

I don't even need to play this one but I cant tell you it's probably the worst DE ever.. even with only 2 units made.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4339

Supposedly features a target with a picture of Tori Spelling on it, that when hit, says "I love you daddy."

OMG that is the worst pinball idea ever. Was it done as some sort of vanity project?

#26 12 years ago

Here it is by Pinside ratings. I would put Tommy at #1.

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from system11:

Tales from the Crypt, easily.

+1

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I personally would say:

1 Tommy
2 GNR
3 TFTC

Ditto.

#30 12 years ago

GnR is pretty good if you like the theme and music.

I've played Tommy a few times and liked it.

I own JP and really enjoy it. I don't know what would have to come along to knock it out of my collection, but I intend on keeping at least one DE machine so it is probably going to be staying for a while.

WWF RR isn't a bad game from a layout, rules, and shots perspective. The upper playfield is pretty well done. The theme and audio totally kills it for me. If I had space for 20-30 games, I'd probably have kept the one I had.

Never played TFTC. I'd like to get the chance some day.

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from wolfy:

I think DE games- are better than several B/W. I have 8 games -3 are DE.

Top 5 imo
TFTC

Yours was the first TFTC that I've played and was sold on it.
My first John Borg machine and one of my fav Borg games.

#33 12 years ago

1. TFTC,
2. JP
3. GNR

Besides GNR prices, most Data East pins can be bought for a nice price.

#34 12 years ago

JP or GNR but they're not a particular favourites of mine , I just think they're better than the others.

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

WWF RR isn't a bad game from a layout, rules, and shots perspective. The upper playfield is pretty well done. The theme and audio totally kills it for me.

I agree... I'm surprised this game isn't in the charts at all though... I think this and GnR are the only two DE widebodies...?? Would love to re-theme it... Would love to change the sound clips too... surely it can't be that hard to change the sound...!!??

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

I have Baywatch and love that game, but it's under the Sega name...

I really have to find a Baywatch to play. I've heard nothing but good things about that pin.

#37 12 years ago

I actually spent the most time on Star Trek!
It has amazing flow and it looks really nice with LED's installed.
I agree GNR and TOMMY has the most pinhead accolades but TFTC and SW cannot be counted out when it comes to home ownership. WWF is actually the sleeper in this group... It is really fun to play!
POTO and Hook probably has the best art IMO from this groups category- and even though it feels "clunky" Hook by far has to have the coolest spiral ramp. Baywatch gets a ramp kudos as well!
Also, as I stated in previous threads,
Time Machine's theme is just is SOO bad, that it is GOOD!
Definitely one of my guilty pleasures!

Oh,
And for pinballslave...
You can disable that post on TRON if you want to!

#38 12 years ago

I've owned both GnR and JP. GnR wins hands down for me, with TFTC a close second. Didn't care much for JP.

#39 12 years ago

Jurassic Park

#40 12 years ago

Well for me even though I do own a LAH and like the unique 6 M-ball, I did favor TFTC theme but I am also partial to the SW as well.... "Great Shot kid! That was one in a million!" Thanks Han!

...Ah someday (sigh)

#42 12 years ago

TFTC if pretty fun but you need to play it a while. I have several people that get crepped out by the artwork. LW3 is a hit with all new players I have over. Both pins are reliable in my collection. I do not have my Batman running yet.

#43 12 years ago

GNR and Tommy.

Quoted from pinballslave:

stangbat said:
WWF RR isn't a bad game from a layout, rules, and shots perspective. The upper playfield is pretty well done. The theme and audio totally kills it for me.

I agree... I'm surprised this game isn't in the charts at all though... I think this and GnR are the only two DE widebodies...?? Would love to re-theme it...

+2

#44 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I really have to find a Baywatch to play. I've heard nothing but good things about that pin.

It's one of my few DMD keepers! The problem is the DMD though, if it goes it's VERY expensive to replace!!

Quoted from NimblePin:

You can disable that post on TRON if you want to!

Thanks NP, I knew that tho I just didn't want to disable it cos of it's feature when superpops are active... even though I don't care for the points during superpops, I like to leave the game as designed in this respect... I suppose I'm a purist in a way

#45 12 years ago

My first DE game was Batman. I played it for hours and hours and then sold it in 2002. Three weeks ago, on the Dutch Pinball Open, I got to play it again and still loved it!

But there are many Data East games that I like. Rocky and Bullwinkle stands out because it's just so much fun to play. But I also love my Gn'R, great ruleset and obviously great music. The nicest theme is Tommy, in my opinion. What a great total package and I like how they didn't over-use the blinders - keeps them special. and what about Apollo 13. The rocket, the moon, the 13 ball multi-ball. The only thing that sucks about that game is the backglass. TFTC is also a nice game with a crazy theme and even crazier artwork. Jurassic Park - fantastic license and a ball-eating Dino! And what about Last Action Hero. Definately a fun game if you can find one that functions well.

I'm by no means a DE fanboy, but do think that many of their games are equally good as Bally/Williams games from the early nineties. Okay, maybe the gameplay is not as good, but they did have some creative designs and nice artwork on some of their games. Any collection should have at least one or two Data East games, if you ask me.

#46 12 years ago

I own SW and really enjoy it. The rule set is not deep, but the play is fun and I love the theme. Folks are draw to the Star Wars theme and hopefully it hooks them on pinball. And it can be found at a decent price.

#47 12 years ago

TFTC then GnR and then Tommy.

#48 12 years ago

GnR. Nothing else is close.

#49 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Guy in Knoxville had 3 of these at 3 warehouses full of arcade games I had the pleasure of browsing through this weekend. Along with a Shaq, TZ, T2, Waterworld, couple EMs, a few others I cant remember. Not sure why 3 Baywatchs though..guess he really liked Pam at some point in his life. Too bad he wanted high retail prices for them. Would have loved to snatch up the T2 or even the Waterworld.

#50 12 years ago
Quoted from robin:

and what about Apollo 13. The rocket, the moon, the 13 ball multi-ball.

There's a 13 ball multiball?! I need to play this!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

5,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 252 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-data-east-is-best and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.