Pinside_forum_1762038_386370 (resized).jpg
IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 8,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 176 of 176.
#8751 50 days ago
Quoted from RightNut:

I put down frisket. Cut out shapes to spray , and the stuff left most of the adhesive behind on the playfield. Which took like an hour to clean up. Ugh.
What am I doing wrong. Is this the wrong kind?[quoted image]

I've never seen that kind, but it might be old.

Usually, no residue is left behind at all.

#8752 50 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I've never seen that kind, but it might be old.
Usually, no residue is left behind at all.

Yea. I've never seen it do that in any of the pictures I've seen folks post. It was almost like mylar removal. Sucks.

What kind does everyone use that doesn't suck?

Thanks for the info.

#8753 50 days ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Rapid-prep is an awesome defense against "fish-eyes".
One of the problems with urethane paints is its inability to deal with oils and silicones.
ALL oils and silicones must be removed or the paint will run away from it and leave pock marks or fish eyes.
Rapid prep is commonly used by auto/body shops to chemically clean off imperfections of the surface before spraying modern paints.
Its popular because its non-toxic and you dont have to worry about hazmat disposal issues.
Its not an adhesion promoter per se, but it can perfect the surface over plastic inserts to get better adhesion.
https://www.amazon.com/RapidTac-Surface-Cleaner-Graphics-Sprayer/dp/B006RMQCFW/ref=asc_df_B006RMQCFW/

Does it matter what type of clear I get for this, any recommendations?

#8754 50 days ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

Does it matter what type of clear I get for this, any recommendations?

Nope, its just a really good cleaner and works with any clear coat.

I use it to chemically remove wax and silicones and to remove or convert (encapsulate?) oils on plastic inserts.

It works VERY well.

#8755 50 days ago

Nope, its just a really good cleaner and works with any clear coat.
I use it to chemically remove wax and silicones and to remove or convert (encapsulate?) oils on plastic inserts.
It works VERY well.

I guess what I was looking for was a recommendation for a small amount of clear coat. I don't have any panting knowledge. Thanks

#8756 50 days ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

I guess what I was looking for was a recommendation for a small amount of clear coat. I don't have any panting knowledge. Thanks

Diamond clear has small cans, and you can brush it on:

https://www.amazon.com/KBS-Coatings-50040-Headlight-Restore/dp/B00UDIZSP6/ref=asc_df_B00UDIZSP6/

SprayMAX P2K is in aerosol.

How much is a small amount?

#8757 50 days ago

Diamond clear has small cans, and you can brush it on:
https://www.amazon.com/KBS-Coatings-50040-Headlight-Restore/dp/B00UDIZSP6/ref=asc_df_B00UDIZSP6/
SprayMAX P2K is in aerosol.
How much is a small amount?

See the image, there are a couple of spots on the roll overs that need clear coat. They broke off when I was trying to remove the excess clear so the star would move.

IMG_3141 2 (resized).JPGIMG_3141 2 (resized).JPG
#8758 49 days ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

See the image, there are a couple of spots on the roll overs that need clear coat. They broke off when I was trying to remove the excess clear so the star would move.
[quoted image]

I would carefully brush on the Diamond Clear.

Unlike most (all) clear coats, it BONDS to existing clear.

Self leveling do a careful application and it wont need sanding or buffing.

I use it to "fix" chips and F#ck-ups. so far its been really great stuff.

It takes a long time to dry "FULLY" maybe 7 to 10 days.

It has no catalyst so it stays good in the can for a long time.

#8759 49 days ago
Quoted from RightNut:

Dumb question. I’m sure it’s been covered. I put down frisket. Cut out shapes to spray , and the stuff left most of the adhesive behind on the playfield. Which took like an hour to clean up. Ugh.
What am I doing wrong. Is this the wrong kind?[quoted image]

I’ve just about given up on Frisket. Over tried every variety I can get hold of and they all leave residue behind now, which is a total deal breaker. When first started restoring pins back in 2017 I never had that problem, but it’s been worse and worse to the point where I’m seeking a replacement masking film. There are some automotive options that might do the trick. In a pinch, Oramask can be hand cut, but it’s better to put it down on a wet surface as its adhesive is more tenacious than you want, and can lift the clear. applied wet it will stay put but come back up very easily.

Frisket is, into me, no longer a usable product. It’s a real drag.

#8760 49 days ago

Automotive frisket is exactly what you want.

Stuff from the craft store might be sitting on the shelf for years

The TCB Global stuff I've used works fine if you don't have an auto paint store

ebay.com link: itm

#8761 49 days ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

I’ve just about given up on Frisket. Over tried every variety I can get hold of and they all leave residue behind now, which is a total deal breaker. When first started restoring pins back in 2017 I never had that problem, but it’s been worse and worse to the point where I’m seeking a replacement masking film. There are some automotive options that might do the trick. In a pinch, Oramask can be hand cut, but it’s better to put it down on a wet surface as its adhesive is more tenacious than you want, and can lift the clear. applied wet it will stay put but come back up very easily.
Frisket is, into me, no longer a usable product. It’s a real drag.

What is Mr. Hutchens using?

He buys it by the HUGE 4' roll....

#8762 49 days ago

I would carefully brush on the Diamond Clear.
Unlike most (all) clear coats, it BONDS to existing clear.
Self leveling do a careful application and it wont need sanding or buffing.
I use it to "fix" chips and F#ck-ups. so far its been really great stuff.
It takes a long time to dry "FULLY" maybe 7 to 10 days.
It has no catalyst so it stays good in the can for a long time.

The diamond clear link you sent me comes with KBS Klean, is that the same as rapid prep, do I need to buy the rapid prep also?

#8763 49 days ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

The diamond clear link you sent me comes with KBS Klean, is that the same as rapid prep, do I need to buy the rapid prep also?

nah, its a great cleaner

#8764 49 days ago

nah, its a great cleaner

Cool, Thanks for all your help.

#8765 48 days ago

What is Mr. Hutchens using?
He buys it by the HUGE 4' roll....

I have been wanting to find out for a while.

I totally agree with his approach, cover *everything* when doing touch ups. I will admit to having thought I had everything masked off, only to have a little line of paint appear that I didn’t see until I clear coated, where the edge of my craft paper and masking tape hadn’t covered. Those big rolls allow you to just cover the playfield completely.

I thought I remembered him saying in a post that he didn’t want to tell everybody what he was using because it is in short supply and he was anxious about being able to get it. That may be old information (or a POV that came out of pandemic supply chain days, perhaps.)

In any case, I would like to switch to some version of what he’s been using. Making stencils with a vinyl cutter can be great, but often it’s still more efficient just to cut Frisket with a blade - as long as it comes off cleanly. There’s nothing worse than doing an elaborate and time consuming cutting job with the blade, only to have a bunch of adhesive come off the film, and find yourself trying to VERY GENTLY massage it off using a freaking Q-tip dipped in naptha. Rub too hard and you’ve erased your work. It also makes you feel like you should spray clear before going further with paint repairs, for fear that some next Frisket layer will deposit sticky on your prior paint apps. Thats no way to work.

2 weeks later
#8766 34 days ago

I've got some inserts I want to reseat from an EM. They are a nice vintage cream colour. They are all a bit loose in the holes and if they sit at the bottom ridge they are a smidge too low.

What's the best way to reglue these level? Or should I replace with new even though the colour might not be the same.

These originals have straight sides, while new ones are tapered I think which would better fill the existing hole.

#8767 34 days ago

Just like springtime this thread come alive.

Great time of year.

#8768 34 days ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:I've got some inserts I want to reseat from an EM. They are a nice vintage cream colour. They are all a bit loose in the holes and if they sit at the bottom ridge they are a smidge too low.
What's the best way to reglue these level? Or should I replace with new even though the colour might not be the same.
These originals have straight sides, while new ones are tapered I think which would better fill the existing hole.

Don't replace them

If they are really loose, buy "extra thick" epoxy

Hot glue a dowel on the insert with a tiny drop of glue, and use 3 round toothpicks around the face to wedge the insert so it doesn't sink below the playfield surface

Pull the toothpicks out once the epoxy sets, but is still semi-soft

#8769 31 days ago

Does this plastic part fit into the pop bumper hole? The hole is too small, I gently filed it a little but still won't fit in. Help please. Thanks

IMG_3225 (resized).JPGIMG_3225 (resized).JPG
#8770 31 days ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

Does this plastic part fit into the pop bumper hole? The hole is too small, I gently filed it a little but still won't fit in. Help please. Thanks
[quoted image]

Yes it needs to fit in the hole.

#8771 31 days ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

The hole is too small, I gently filed it a little but still won't fit in

Happens to me a lot with cleared playfields and new replacement pop bumper bases. I typically wind up taking a dremel to the pop bumper base and whittle away until it fits, albeit very snugly.

#8772 31 days ago
Quoted from psd4me:

Yes it needs to fit in the hole.

What is the best way to enlarge the hole?

#8773 31 days ago

Drill but it's easier to mod the base and safer too.

You can also use a bit of force to press into the pf sometimes they snap in fine.

#8774 31 days ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

[quoted image]

Make sure the supports for the pop rings pass through the playfield as well. Sometimes they can be a bit too snug.

#8775 30 days ago

I just went out and bought this Dremel bit. It worked great and fast.

THUMP BUMP HOLE ENLARGE1 (resized).JPGTHUMP BUMP HOLE ENLARGE1 (resized).JPGTHUMP BUMP HOLE ENLARGE2 (resized).JPGTHUMP BUMP HOLE ENLARGE2 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#8776 18 days ago

So I realize that I think I made a mistake on my playfield by not cleaning out all the wet sanding gunk in the holes before clearing the next coat.

I think I should be fine, it's just going to create extra work sanding it out when I go to repopulate.

My main question is going to be around the filled screw holes. Should I just treat them like divots on a new playfield and drill them out as if it was new? I've read vids "repopulate" thread where he talks about using Brad point bits for it.

PXL_20240404_002010342 (resized).jpgPXL_20240404_002010342 (resized).jpgPXL_20240404_002101962 (resized).jpgPXL_20240404_002101962 (resized).jpg
#8777 18 days ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

So I realize that I think I made a mistake on my playfield by not cleaning out all the wet sanding gunk in the holes before clearing the next coat.
I think I should be fine, it's just going to create extra work sanding it out when I go to repopulate.
My main question is going to be around the filled screw holes. Should I just treat them like divots on a new playfield and drill them out as if it was new? I've read vids "repopulate" thread where he talks about using Brad point bits for it.[quoted image][quoted image]

Usually that white stuff is crumbly and just cleans out with a quick poke of a screw or nail

#8778 18 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Usually that white stuff is crumbly and just cleans out with a quick poke of a screw or nail

Even though I've sealed it in with a few coats of clear?

#8779 18 days ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

I use a small hand held twist drill to clean out screw holes and low pressure air.

#8780 18 days ago
Quoted from BMGfan:

Like Donovan says, a quick twist by hand with a drill bit will do it if it's too thick to poke through with a nail

#8781 18 days ago

Sounds great gents! Thank you!

#8782 17 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I use a small hand held twist drill to clean out screw holes and low pressure air.

One should emphasize - LOW pressure air - . It is really nerve wrecking to lift the clear at that stage.

#8783 12 days ago

So, have a Stern Elvira I traded into. Previous owner didn't maintain as well as he should have (no wax and maybe original balls?), but what are my options?

Simply throw over some Mylar? Spray can lacquer? Figured that might not go too well on middle of the playfield. Or a complete tear down and auto finish at my cousins body shop?

Or am I just over reacting/too meticulous, shut up, and get to playing?

20240415_125716 (resized).jpg20240415_125716 (resized).jpg

#8784 12 days ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

So, have a Stern Elvira I traded into. Previous owner didn't maintain as well as he should have (no wax and maybe original balls?), but what are my options?
Simply throw over some Mylar? Spray can lacquer? Figured that might not go too well on middle of the playfield. Or a complete tear down and auto finish at my cousins body shop?
Or am I just over reacting/too meticulous, shut up, and get to playing?
[quoted image]

Ugh.. this actually hurts my heart. I would never be able to afford a game like this and then someone who can, doesn’t take care of it? Wow. It’s a game that will forever be on my wishlist.

In regards to fixing it, you could put Mylar or a decal if someone makes it if you aren’t going to strip and repair it. That would keep it from getting worse. You could also probably find a new playfield easily as well.

#8785 12 days ago

Great info here. Thanks everyone.

#8786 12 days ago

Did someone brush on some kind of water based clear on that Elvira?

#8787 12 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did someone brush on some kind of water based clear on that Elvira?

I don't think so. It does have a different feel to the clear. It's either etched from no wax/ original balls or... previous owner fumbled some crazy glue onto the playfield. He admired he applied it to the crypt sticker trying to reglue it. But could it trail that bad in the middle? Maybe the ball picked it up from the sticker then entered the VUK... spit out the ball and the crazy glue off to the races where it landed?

I dunno. It is the highest action of the playfield in the middle so either wear or crazy glue in a wild scenario.

Only has 1700 plays so I kinda haphazardly skipped a thorough check of the playfield. You wouldn't even really notice just staring down through the glass either. Have to be looking at the right angle kind of thing. Found out after getting home and cleaning it myself. Lesson learned!

#8788 11 days ago

It looks flaky, can you get some pic at a lower angle?

#8789 8 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It looks flaky, can you get some pic at a lower angle?

All I have to say is THANK YOU, NOVUS!

Needed to try something not overly abrasive but that could still do a little work. I think this was legit super glue all over the playfield from when the previous owner attempted to reglue the lower skull sticker to the crypt.

20240419_165132 (resized).jpg20240419_165132 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
$ 179.00
Machine - For Sale
Boise, ID
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
There are 8,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 176 of 176.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/176 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.