(Topic ID: 353922)

To mylar or not to mylar, that is the question ...

By Master_of_Trolls

34 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 days ago by Jmxdc
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside Old Man Bitchin (resized).JPG
    mspain (resized).png
    #1 34 days ago

Can anyone offer advice as to whether or not proactively applying mylar to high wear areas (I'm thinking specifically of right in front of the slam ramp on my NGG's) is a good or bad idea. I have seen some suggestions that this may help prevent wear in some areas. Though, I also see people talk about removing the mylar whenever they purchase a game that has it on the playfield.

Given that I lack experience with this, I thought that I would throw this question out to those with greater knowledge and experience.

If you do recommend mylar in high risk areas, is there a certain thickness (mils) or brand that you recommend?

If you are opposed to Mylar anywhere on the playfield, can you please share with me the basis for your objection.

My thanks, in advance, to all those who share their thoughts here.

- MOT

#2 34 days ago

Cut a piece that covers the affected area and beyond it. Wax the playfield (in case you or a future owner has to remove the mylar later). Peel and apply to the playfield.

I usually get mylar from PBResource, although other suppliers carry it too.

Quoted from Master_of_Trolls:

Though, I also see people talk about removing the mylar whenever they purchase a game that has it on the playfield.

Personally, I think that's risky and unnecessary.

#3 34 days ago

It might have been superficial, but I just installed a NOS playfield in my Bally Lost world that I had clear coated. And after a week or 2 I could already see hundreds of little tick/scuff marks. I was able to buff them off, but that’s when I at least went ahead and did them around the pop bumpers and in front of the slings. I didn’t want to risk it, since that game is gonna be around for a long time..

#4 34 days ago

Like above, wax playfield first. I do this to drop areas and in the back of the playfield on orbits and between pops. If you wax first, then its not a problem to remove later.

#5 34 days ago

For a game like NGG, i think it would be a good idea. Playfields from that era have a pretty durable clearcoat, so removing the mylar with the freeze method would be easy and no damage left.

I just got a Demo man and there was mylar on the playfield where the ball drops down from the wireforms to the inlanes and it was peeling up. Took me 2 minutes to get it off, remove the adhesive with Naptha and cut out a new piece for it. It's just thin 3mm mylar, but it will at least keep the artwork in good shape. In home use, mylar like this shouldn't have to be changed more than every few thousand games or maybe ever 5+ years, so it's worth it for me.

The slam ramp is notorious for wear, just like the sanctum in The Shadow, so do whatever you can now to prevent the inevitable. Especially when it's only a few dollars in mylar.

#6 34 days ago

For a game that has been on route for over 20 years, and now in home use, I would say just clean and wax it. Maybe install hole protectors.

The playfield has already survived tens of thousands plays. Properly cleaned and waxed, it will stay as is for many thousands of plays in home use.

Adding mylar will maybe prevent playfield wear but also affect game play. I recommend keeping your playfield as is, and clean/wax it to prevent wear.

#7 34 days ago

Mylar is overkill in home use. *

*standard "your game do what you want with it" disclaimer

#8 34 days ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

For a game that has been on route for over 20 years, and now in home use, I would say just clean and wax it. Maybe install hole protectors.
    The playfield has already survived tens of thousands plays. Properly cleaned and waxed, it will stay as is for many thousands of plays in home use.

Personally, I prefer to protect the game as much as possible to help keep it looking nice as long as possible.

#9 34 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Mylar is overkill in home use. *

The hills you choose to make your stands on....

mspain (resized).pngmspain (resized).png
    #10 34 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Personally, I prefer to protect the game as much as possible to help keep it looking nice as long as possible.

That is OK, but whatever you add to the playfield to keep it looking nice, might affect the game play. If frequent cleaning and (careful) waxing help keeping the playfield in good shape, then I would prefer those instead of extra Mylar. But of course it all depends on how much the game is played - I guess the owner has the choice.

#11 34 days ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

That is OK, but whatever you add to the playfield to keep it looking nice, might affect the game play. If frequent cleaning and (careful) waxing help keeping the playfield in good shape, then I would prefer those instead of extra Mylar. But of course it all depends on how much the game is playe - I guess the owner has the choice.

I can't say I've ever noticed a gameplay difference.

#12 34 days ago
    Quoted from Whistles:

The hills you choose to make your stands on....[quoted image]

And no matter your choice, they will tell you about it....like it or not....
    Pinside Old Man Bitchin (resized).JPGPinside Old Man Bitchin (resized).JPG

#13 34 days ago

People are just way too obsessed with "home wear." *

I've owned a billion games and besides a cracked plastic here and there over years, you'd be hard to pressed to identify any additional wear in before (bought) and after (sold) pictures.

It just doesn't happen. Even with relatively "heavy" home play, they are getting a tiny, mere, infintesimal amount of the play/wear that these games would be getting on location, and are being much better taken care of.

I recently looked at pics of the first game I ever bought, a Williams Argosy, in 2002, and compared them to pics taken 20 years later, and there's no noticeable difference. And the odometer shows 50,000 plays/starts in that time.

#14 34 days ago

I’ve installed a few CPR playfields in my games and will keep the game waxed from time to time. But if it gets played to the point of wear I’ll take that as a compliment to my restoration. The game will be playable long after I’m gone.

#15 34 days ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I can't say I've ever noticed a gameplay difference.

Old Bally SS games came with the optional slingshot mylars, and I never noticed any difference with those either.

Some Bally games came with optional almost whole playfield Mylar, and today it is easy to see which games did have the operator installed mylar - those that have paint in the mid playfield.

Some operators objected against the "full" mylars saying they will make the game play too different. But I never heard complaints against the slingshot mylars.

#16 34 days ago

Thank you all for your input. I do not have mylar on any of my other games but I think that I am persuaded that there wouldn't be much downside to installing a little mylar at my slam ramp, only. I'll look at this as a 'trial' and see if it affects game play in any noticeable way.

I will be sure to wax prior to install. I can always remove later, if I am dissatisfied for any reason.

For those who say "no" to the mylar, I did carefully consider your comments and consider them equally valid and, as I said, I can elect to remove the mylar later if need be.

#17 34 days ago

I did this once and regretted it. Same with the metal protectors. Home pins just will not
    see the level of wear they'd get on location and both of these things change game play.
    As others have said, keep your PF cleaned and waxed AND make sure your balls (the
    ones in the machine smart ass) are not rusty or pitted. My $.02

#18 34 days ago
    Quoted from Master_of_Trolls:

Thank you all for your input. I do not have mylar on any of my other games but I think that I am persuaded that there wouldn't be much downside to installing a little mylar at my slam ramp, only. I'll look at this as a 'trial' and see if it affects game play in any noticeable way.
    I will be sure to wax prior to install. I can always remove later, if I am dissatisfied for any reason.
    For those who say "no" to the mylar, I did carefully consider your comments and consider them equally valid and, as I said, I can elect to remove the mylar later if need be.

I put adhesive felt on the bottom of the slam ramp and just a small bit of Mylar where the ramps leading edge contacted the pf.

#19 34 days ago

I've been putting Mylar in the shooter lane instead of buying Cliffies.

#20 32 days ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

I put adhesive felt on the bottom of the slam ramp and just a small bit of Mylar where the ramps leading edge contacted the pf.

That sounds like a great approach and I will do exactly the same. Thank you for the advice!

#21 31 days ago
    Quoted from rai:

I've been putting Mylar in the shooter lane instead of buying Cliffies.

I made some TPU alternatives they just stick down in place for shooter lanes. I think Mylar works too but can be a pain to remove IMO.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-mylar-or-not-to-mylar-that-is-the-question- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.