Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1440548318087-820667318.jpg
1440547877195869616982.jpg
14405465744361931847634.jpg
1440545016732942483115.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi everyone. I have been having a problem with multi-ball not functioning after the second ball gets locked. The problem is that magnet does not function for grabbing the third ball. The sensor light underneath is just barely off so that should be set fine. Additionally, if I force multi-ball by dropping the ball in the back as the trunk turns, it cannot spit the balls out of the basement door. The stopper won't release. With that said, the basement function works fine because the ball enters on the other side of the stopper.

I tried to do some reading and saw that the basement door/ball track is connecting on a board with the magnet on the trunk. I don;t know if this is accurate, but I tried replacing a 903 fuse. It was a 3A 250V SB. This did not solve my problem however.

Can anyone assist with this? I would say I am intermediate with tech at best. I can get around the machine, but testing ohms and such is not something I have ever done yet. Hope someone can assist.

Thanks

Mike

#2 8 years ago

Take the trunk plastic cover off and look to see if the magnet looks like it's melted. When I bought my TOM it had a magnet that had had a meltdown.

#3 8 years ago

And yes the trapdoor is inline with the trunk magnet and the left drain magnet as well.
Thay plug into J902 on the fliptronic board.
This info is at the top of page 3-6 in the manual.
Good luck

#4 8 years ago

Hey RVH. It ended up being the 902. I looked at the magnet, but saw no evidence of burning inside the plastic once I got it out.

I can't thank you enough for helping me out with this. As much as we love pinball, the community itself is simply awesome.

Best,
MP

#5 8 years ago

One quick question while I have your attention. Do you find at times the ball jumps ever so slightly after it hits the trunk? This happens on my table and I am hoping it's not a matter of the flippers not being set right. It doesn't happen all the time, but with this being my first pin, i don't know how often one can see that sort of thing.

#6 8 years ago

Glad you got it working.
As for the ball jumping on a trunk hit? There should be some cushion on the trunk metal frame between it and the plastic trunk itself. It will also help to keep the plastic trunk from breaking to fast. I personally use some clear doublesided gel squares made by 3M that are removable adhesive, about 1/16 inch thick and cut them to fit.

1440545016732942483115.jpg1440545016732942483115.jpg

#7 8 years ago

You can buy the 3M gel adhesive at target or home depot. Thyt will most likely come as 1/2 inch squares.

#8 8 years ago

Also put the cushining material on all three sides, especially on the left and right of the open hole!
I do also sugest a piece down at the bottom of the hole in front to stop bounce outs. I have a piece of black one sided adhesive foam but the same gel should help. just maby deaden the adhesive on top when installing it, and don't put it on the circular ring as it spins and the ball will get stuck there when the trunk is in a diffrent position.

RVH

14405465744361931847634.jpg14405465744361931847634.jpg

#9 8 years ago

Another common TOM problem to address if it happens on your game is the trunk error comes up and the trunk gets stuck.
Then you should take the gearbox appart, clean the inside gears with break cleaner and regrease with super lube synthetic grease. I purchased it from ace hardware. I've tried others, even light oil and nothing works like this stuff.
If the trunk still stops sometimes purchase a new motor from Kimballs pinballs, I got one earlier this year and problem solved. It was about $85.
Just letting you know as this is a common problem. Enjoy your first pin.

1440547877195869616982.jpg1440547877195869616982.jpg

#10 8 years ago

One more note I also recommend a pair of reinforced targets in front of the center ramp from Steve youngs pinball resource website to stop air balls. There about $8 each.
Game On
RVH

1440548318087-820667318.jpg1440548318087-820667318.jpg

#11 8 years ago

RVH this is golden information. There was padding on full back side of the trunk before I replaced it, and I didn't pad it. The padding the guy used kept the trunk from fitting properly, but I think your solution would solve that and preserve.

As for the centre ramp targets, I actually replaced those 3 months ago. Need to get more.

This is really great information.

Thanks so much.

Have you modded anything on your machine?

MP

#12 8 years ago

I actually have a Hot Shots pin as well from 1978. I need to fix some concave issues within the light inserts. Thinking of levelling the table so I can fill with drops of clear coat and then doing a light sand.

6 months later
#13 8 years ago

Hey RVH. Don't know how well you remember this conversation, but I wanted to ask you a couple of questions.

First I want to say thanks again for helping me out with my tom a few months ago. Since then the machine has been running much better, but I have had another little situation come up and I thought you might know something about it.

The basement door tends to want to shoot the ball out more to it's right than it should, meaning very near to being in between the flippers. Many videos I see shoot the ball onto the right flipper, so I think I need to deal with this.

The door contraption itself has a natural jiggle to it which I think is suppose to be there, but I do have a stretched spring attache to the door and i think that is the problem. I could put heat under it and see if the spring coils up for me, or I could cut the spring...I can;t seem to find that particular piece as a TOM replacement online....any thoughts?

Hope all is well on your end...all the best.

Mike

#14 8 years ago

My TOM kicks the ball out from the trap door towards the center of the flippers as well and I haven't been able to get it consistently to the right flipper either. Tried a few times.
If you're going to sell the game I wouldn't bother spending money for any leds.

RVH

7 years later
#15 3 months ago

Hey there — seems like a few of you have good knowledge on #theaterofmagic and I have a TOM machine I’m currently looking into buying. Quick question: this sellers game is in great condition overall except for a very loud humming/buzzing sound (sounds a lot like one of those vibrating sanders). I’m assuming this is either a motor issue on the trunk or something else. Could it be that donut-shaped magnet? Something else (another gear-driven piece of equipment I’m not aware of)? Any clues would be great; I feel like it’s something that could be repaired/replaced somewhat easily and be a great game to acquire. Thanks for any tips!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Medina, OH
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Steel Tiger Pinball

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 11.95
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/theatre-of-magic-magnetmulti-ball-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.