Taxi_292.jpg
Taxi_291.jpg
Taxi_289.jpg
Taxi_288.jpg
Taxi_287.jpg
Taxi_286.jpg
Taxi_285.jpg
Taxi_284.jpg
There are 294 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 8 years ago

This thread has been a pleasure to follow. Great job so far, Sky.

1 month later
#252 8 years ago

Well we took a break to do a bit of remodeling . Also I have to admit the issues with non-working games became a bit of a challenge.

The coin doors are done.

Misc_038.jpgMisc_038.jpg

Misc_021.jpgMisc_021.jpg

#253 8 years ago

I also ran the speaker panel screens through my ultrasonic . the paint came off one of them so I decided to play around.

Misc_033.jpgMisc_033.jpg

Misc_035.jpgMisc_035.jpg

Misc_034.jpgMisc_034.jpg

Misc_039.jpgMisc_039.jpg

Misc_040.jpgMisc_040.jpg

#254 8 years ago

Can we get some more shots of the cab wit the black armor? We are thinking of doing that.

#255 8 years ago

Keep in mind its not done(lot of lights to install yet)

Taxi_275.jpgTaxi_275.jpg
Taxi_276.jpgTaxi_276.jpg
Taxi_277.jpgTaxi_277.jpg

#256 8 years ago

Words.... Can't find the words!

#258 8 years ago

Beautiful!
How many hours did it take you to get to this point?
I really like the black trim!
E

#259 8 years ago

Way to step it up man ! Shop , games all look fantastic! I really enjoy people that push the envelope !

#260 8 years ago

Looking at that work space strangely reminds me of a radio shack.......

#261 8 years ago

You get this thing working yet

#262 8 years ago

If the taxi is broke do you call Uber?

#263 8 years ago

I have been looking at your project periodically over the last year, and all I can say is wow. Very, very cool. Great work! I love the black armor.

#264 8 years ago
Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Beautiful!
How many hours did it take you to get to this point?
I really like the black trim!
E

This project has been on and off all winter so its difficult to say.

Quoted from Deez:

Quoted from Deez:

Not yet , sitting on the beach trying to decide what drink to order next. When I get home and sober up I'm hopefull

Quoted from cal50:If the taxi is broke do you call Uber?

I might need an Uber from the beach.

#265 8 years ago

Nice Work!

1 month later
#266 8 years ago

So the Taxi project has come to an end. I traded my finished product off to pick up a MB restoration after playing only five games on it. The Black Taxi left today and went back to its original owners. They seem to be very happy with it.

I can conclude that it was great fun but a difficult task for me. Ive decided against doing this Frankenstein monster approach again for a bit. The fact of the matter is it became slightly overwhelming dealing with all the board issues. As it stands John at Cadillac has taken back a beautiful " not completely functioning" pin . His staff will diagnose the few remaining board issues and save me the headache. They will be bringing it to the Cleveland show in September, Thanks John. I have vowed to make my future project follow the guideline of complete and working first.

The project machine that was left now belongs to Matt (Fatdirk). He will also be bringing it to the show as his Lab Specimen for his seminar.

Thank you all for the help,guidance and fun.

Although I did not take pictures of the first Taxi ,I did take a few of Black Taxi. Enjoy!

Taxi_283.jpgTaxi_283.jpg

Taxi_282.jpgTaxi_282.jpg

Taxi_284.jpgTaxi_284.jpg

Taxi_285.jpgTaxi_285.jpg

Taxi_286.jpgTaxi_286.jpg

Taxi_287.jpgTaxi_287.jpg

Taxi_288.jpgTaxi_288.jpg

Taxi_289.jpgTaxi_289.jpg

#267 8 years ago

Taxi_291.jpgTaxi_291.jpg

Taxi_292.jpgTaxi_292.jpg

Taxi_293.jpgTaxi_293.jpg

#268 8 years ago

And home

Taxi_278.jpgTaxi_278.jpg

Taxi_280.jpgTaxi_280.jpg

#269 8 years ago

Thanks for the thread Keith and parts along the way. My taxi is going for clear coat and touch up by a fellow pinsider Ina week. Can't wait. One of the best pins of all time. Taxi!

#270 8 years ago

Beautiful Taxi and likely one if not the nicest one in the state of Ohio.

System 11 issues you need to step back in time and really get an understanding of how Williams did things with the A,B,C boards and on the PF for switching . relays , etc. A blown transistor & per-driver is an easy fix, trying to find out what caused it either on the PF or the board set can take time and frustration. My limited experience on system 11 boards has been positive but burned up many hours and beers trouble shooting. You did the harder part and heavy lifting......

VERY nice work!

#271 8 years ago

Beautiful work. Love the paint choices!

#272 8 years ago

Very Nice buddy!!!! Someday i'll add one to the barn.

#273 8 years ago

Wow, that looks absolutely incredible! Most beautiful Taxi I've ever seen! Amazing work, hope I can get a chance to see it in person some time!

#274 8 years ago

Happened to be at cadillac when Keith dropped off the game. The game is truly awesome to look at

#275 8 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Happened to be at cadillac when Keith dropped off the game. The game is truly awesome to look at

Pleasure to meet you!

#276 8 years ago

Hi Skypilot - As I am the new, proud owner of your Taxi restore (stainless steel version, bought from Teekee) I just wanted to comment on how well your restoration work is. While the pictures in your thread speak volumes, seeing your work in person really shows the level of detail & craftsmanship that you put into this piece of art!

This machine looks as new as the NIB's that I have previously purchased and looks fantastic sitting right next to them. Excellent work!!! I don't know if you plan to perform more restorations in the future, but if you do, this is my personal endorsement of your skills to any potential buyers!

#277 8 years ago

Skypilot, it sounds like it was almost more of a headache than it was worth, but congratulations on reaching the finish line. Board issues aside, that black trim on the Taxi might be one of the most eye catching things I've seen in a while. It really pops with black, and to me looks like that's how the machine was meant to be in the first place (taxis being mostly yellow and black, traditionally; chrome bumpers notwithstanding).

#278 8 years ago
Quoted from KrustyBurger:

I am the new, proud owner of your Taxi restore

I'm jealous.

I saw a little bit of both the before and after in person, and I've seen and played some of Keith's other restores.

His work is pretty ridiculous. (Ridiculously good.)

#279 8 years ago
Quoted from mot:

His work is pretty ridiculous. (Ridiculously good.)

You're not kidding - the man has mad skills...

No need to be jealous - rather, if you're ever in the Chicagoland area, come out and play a few games!

#280 8 years ago

thumbs up for the offer and your avatar (devil's crush is still the best pinball simulation on a videogame system and the one reason that I'll never sell my turbo express!

#281 8 years ago
Quoted from KrustyBurger:

Hi Skypilot - As I am the new, proud owner of your Taxi restore (stainless steel version, bought from Teekee) I just wanted to comment on how well your restoration work is. While the pictures in your thread speak volumes, seeing your work in person really shows the level of detail & craftsmanship that you put into this piece of art!
This machine looks as new as the NIB's that I have previously purchased and looks fantastic sitting right next to them. Excellent work!!! I don't know if you plan to perform more restorations in the future, but if you do, this is my personal endorsement of your skills to any potential buyers!

Krustyburger,
Thanks for the very nice endorsement! I'm thrilled that you are pleased and also happy to see Taxi go to a good home. Send a picture of it in your line up. As far as restorations go I have a long list of them and plan to do as many as I can in years to come. The only reason Taxi left so quick was TeeKee's offer of a Monster Bash restoration in our deal. I enjoy playing but I live for restorations.

#282 8 years ago
Quoted from Nullpunkt:

Skypilot, it sounds like it was almost more of a headache than it was worth, but congratulations on reaching the finish line. Board issues aside, that black trim on the Taxi might be one of the most eye catching things I've seen in a while. It really pops with black, and to me looks like that's how the machine was meant to be in the first place (taxis being mostly yellow and black, traditionally; chrome bumpers notwithstanding).

I think the problem was in the and when I was close to being finished the board troubles just became too much. There were multiple issues on both games. At one point I even put in a rotten dog board and one of the speech ROMs cooked.luckily at that point I had FatDirk there to help me get through the problems. Once one game was complete it became much easier to go back and work on the second game. So was it worth it?yes.The black really looks interesting and I like the look but I also love how the other game went back to its original and popped.

#283 8 years ago

Skypilot you are one immensely talented individual. Those taxis look amazing, they could be art pieces!

#284 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I think the problem was in the and when I was close to being finished the board troubles just became too much. There were multiple issues on both games. At one point I even put in a rotten dog board and one of the speech ROMs cooked.luckily at that point I had FatDirk there to help me get through the problems. Once one game was complete it became much easier to go back and work on the second game. So was it worth it?yes.The black really looks interesting and I like the look but I also love how the other game went back to its original and popped.

So glad to see I wasn't the only one that needed a "push" to get over the top at the end of a restoration. I thought it was just because I was a moron. I still am, but I'm glad to see it happens to everyone.

#285 8 years ago

Boob you crack me up,daily

#286 8 years ago

They came out fantastic and board issues are a PITA. Always enjoy following along your restorations. The amount of work you put into these machines (Not just Taxi's!) is truly breathtaking. Congrats to the new owners. You lucky people!

4 months later
#287 8 years ago

I've been stopping by Cadillac Music a lot in the last few months buying games off Nick and John some days or bugging Lisa for help fixing something. Inevitably I spend a lot of time staring at the Taxi in their show room. The game looks so pretty but one piece has been bugging the crap out of me. The repro backglass is so blown out it is amazing to me they actually sold them.

As a thank you for all the help they've given me I started making a new backglass for their game. I still need to screenprint the light mask but Marilyn and Gorbie actually have definition now rather than hazy white figures.

20160108_155134_(resized).jpg20160108_155134_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160108_160459041_HDR1_(resized).jpgIMG_20160108_160459041_HDR1_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160108_160454639_HDR1_(resized).jpgIMG_20160108_160454639_HDR1_(resized).jpg

#288 8 years ago

And gorbie has the birthmark.

#289 8 years ago

CPR pedals a lot of junk. Better than nothing I guess.

#290 8 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

CPR pedals a lot of junk. Better than nothing I guess.

Somewhere Stu became suddenly angry and he doesn't know why.

#291 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Somewhere Stu became suddenly angry and he doesn't know why.

Surprised he hasn't come in here to talk about how the originals were just like that and I know nothing lol.

#292 8 years ago

Ya they are blown out, but they still look good in person. I noticed this on my dad's machine, however his original translite was trashed.

#293 8 years ago
Quoted from davideokills:

I spend a lot of time staring at the Taxi in their show room. The game looks so pretty but one piece has been bugging the crap out of me. The repro backglass is so blown out it is amazing to me they actually sold them.

Did you get to play it?

#294 8 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

Did you get to play it?

I'll wait until I finish the backglass before I start harassing them about it not working. Plus I have been asking Lisa for system 11 boards so bugging her about Taxi might backfire on me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 109.00
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dewitt, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 294 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-tale-of-two-taxis/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.