Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 681 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by leeoneil
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220116_110832 (resized).jpg
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_GND (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_064655_Google (resized).jpg
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_actual (resized).jpg
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_before_exploding (resized).jpg
    Solenoid-wiring (resized).png
    20240411_170635 (resized).jpg
    20240409_173347 (resized).jpg
    20240409_173418 (resized).jpg
    20240410_162556 (resized).jpg
    20240412_073031 (resized).jpg
    20240411_224444 (resized).jpg
    20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3694 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3695 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20231228_235104636 (resized).jpg
    There are 681 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 14.
    #651 34 days ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

TreyBo69 Thank's !
    I think I have one 48v left on the cobraboard, so If I need it, it will be ok.
    But i'm discovering something !
    You can pulse a coil with some power and then change this power to go lower ?
    With MPF and a cobra ????

I don't know enough about Cobra to know if it supports it. I assume so? It's no different than using a single wound flipper coil. Same principle. Strong stroke to get it to move, smaller duty cycle to keep it in place.

#652 34 days ago

I wanted to reuse most of this existing harness, so I opted to replace the ugly, rusted metal strip sockets with custom made lamp boards.

20240323_114044 (resized).jpg20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
    #653 33 days ago

You always impress me with your ides and execution. What a great idea. Do you have a source for making these?
    What is Pinball Hackers Collective?
    Thx

#654 33 days ago

Well, thank you. These were designed in EasyEda, a circuit design system, and the bare boards were made by JLCPCB, a circuit board fabrication company. I used the original wiring to design them, so that they would be compatible with High Speed games. If someone is restoring a High Speed, they could use these to replace old sockets. I'll be making another set to retrofit brighter lamps into my Escape from Hell homebrew, but that's likely going to be after Golden State Pinball Festival.

The Pinball Hackers Collective is a funny name a group of us gave ourselves. It's meant to be people who build games by hacking on existing systems, beyond just a retheme. This build, for example, started with a high speed playfield and harness, but has some new mechs, like a Gottlieb disappearing post, a ramp from No Good Gophers, some rails adapted from a Terminator 2, etc, all probably going into an old CftBL cabinet I have in storage.

#655 32 days ago

Nice. Do you bring your custom games to GSPL?

#656 32 days ago

Yes, there will be a homebrew section at Golden State again this year.

#657 32 days ago

Sounds great. Looking forward to seeing those games as well as the other games.

#658 30 days ago

I'm just starting down the path of creating a machine. Anyone have a link to some mpf groups?

#659 30 days ago
    Quoted from Ramrod215:

I'm just starting down the path of creating a machine. Anyone have a link to some mpf groups?

[email protected] is good for questions and searching the archive has lots of info. Good luck.

2 weeks later
    #660 16 days ago

The base of the new metal ramp fits as I expected. Now, to work on the sides and cutting this wireform to fit.

20240411_224444 (resized).jpg20240411_224444 (resized).jpg20240412_073031 (resized).jpg20240412_073031 (resized).jpg
    #661 15 days ago

Got a couple tips to share with those who do not have access to a cnc, or a flat bed sander when doing your whitewood...

Powertec makes a 50" locking straight edge that is great for doing routing, cutting, laying out, etc. Easy amazon order, and won't break the bank like mostbstraight guides.
    20240409_173347 (resized).jpg20240409_173347 (resized).jpg

Even works at angles with clamps, or the add on cleats.
    20240409_173418 (resized).jpg20240409_173418 (resized).jpg

20240410_162556 (resized).jpg20240410_162556 (resized).jpg

Also when doing your inserts, if you'll take a finishing router with a 1/2" straight edge bit (cylindrical with a flat bottom), and set it to flush cut about a 1/16, or 1/32 above your wood.
    (Make sure to test on scrap piece) you can slowly take off all the excess plastic on your inserts before sanding to cut down time, and to reduce divots, or low spots using a belt sander causes.
    All you'll need is a random orbit sander starting with 80 grit, then a 320 grit to have them smooth as the surface wood in no time.
    20240411_170635 (resized).jpg20240411_170635 (resized).jpg
    This cut my sanding time down from 2 afternoons to just about an hour.

#662 13 days ago

Hello everyone !
    I have a very bad electric problem, I'm sharing it is someone can help with some ideas or things to check.
    I recently added a satellite cobra board and a 24V power supply to use on a knocker, a shaker and a post-up.
    When using the post up, I noticed a buzz on it, when I try to hold it a few seconds.
    I was thinking it was a 50V-24V problem, because the post-up is supposed to work on 50V.

But I had terrible flash on LED.
    All the led are wired to the original cobra, nothing on the satellite !
    When I use the satellite with coils, I can see LED flashing (the led that are off)

Now when I use the shaker (only 500ms each time), I can spot LED flashing very briefly. It was probably there before trying the post-up but difficult to spot if you are not aware of the problem.
    The shaker is directly wired to the satellite, does it need a diode ? Or something equivalent for motors ?

The power supply is a 24V 20A. https://www.pincab.eu/alimentations-electronique/376-alimentation-24-volts-20a-480w.html
    Is it possible that the problem comes from the power supply ?

The LED are flashing because the 5V power supply and the 24V are plugged on the same power strip ?

Thank's if you have an idea !

#663 12 days ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

Hello everyone !
    I have a very bad electric problem, I'm sharing it is someone can help with some ideas or things to check.
    I recently added a satellite cobra board and a 24V power supply to use on a knocker, a shaker and a post-up.
    When using the post up, I noticed a buzz on it, when I try to hold it a few seconds.
    I was thinking it was a 50V-24V problem, because the post-up is supposed to work on 50V.
    When I use the satellite with coils, I can see LED flashing (the led that are off)
    Now when I use the shaker (only 500ms each time), I can spot LED flashing very briefly. It was probably there before trying the post-up but difficult to spot if you are not aware of the problem.
    The shaker is directly wired to the satellite, does it need a diode ? Or something equivalent for motors ?
    The power supply is a 24V 20A. https://www.pincab.eu/alimentations-electronique/376-alimentation-24-volts-20a-480w.html
    The LED are flashing because the 5V power supply and the 24V are plugged on the same power strip ?

Do you have a 48v ground running to the cobra board?

#664 12 days ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

Hello everyone !

You can take the plug strip out of the equation. No reason that would backfeed with a proper ground.
    Do you have your grounds all tied together, including the new power supply?
    Also have you checked to see if it's a cable issue on that led?
    Other thing I would try is moving that output for the new coils to see if that might resolve it.

#665 12 days ago

As MrBigg said, it's almost certainly the grounds not being tied together.

#666 12 days ago

Thank's for your help but I clearly don't understand.
    I plugged the new 24V on another part of the house, so it's not on the same power strip, and same effect : led flashing, satellite led board going crazy.

I'm sorry I probably didn't understand something basic.
    Grounds tied together ?
    The grounds are plugged from each power supply to the power strip.
    I need something else ?
    Like a wire running from power supply to power supply ?

edit : basic notion but i'm lost....
    You mean I need to wire the 3 "V-" from my power supply together ?
    And then what, where this ground wire is supposed to go ?
    I'll try to find (and understand) some information on pinbal makers...

edit 2: problem not solved, but I forgot to wire the "V-" power supply together.
    Like here from pinball makers Solenoid-wiring (resized).pngSolenoid-wiring (resized).png

So now it's done but no change...

edit 3 :
    I have things to try.
    - change the diode on the post-up (maybe I have cut it during soldering ??)
    - get rid of the 24V and plug my 48V on the satellite. I supposed my 48V can power 2 boards ? (and lower everything on MPF)
    - Add a diode on the shaker, even if it's not the problem

#667 12 days ago

Just before exploding everything, trying to understand with a drawing.

Actually, I have this (I connected the "V-" after your help):
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_actual (resized).jpgCobraPinConnectionDiagram_actual (resized).jpg

Do you think I can try this ?
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_before_exploding (resized).jpgCobraPinConnectionDiagram_before_exploding (resized).jpg

#668 12 days ago

Yes, you need a ground wire from each power supply to each other power supply on the secondary side (low voltage side)
    You also need a ground wire from each on primary side (110/220) to ensure they are are also tied together.
    Do not mix these two together though, and keep primary side, and secondary side of you power supplies separate.

Anytime you have multiple power supplies, and even cards, transformers, relays, etc, they should share a common ground on the secondary side.
    Here's an example....

Screenshot_20240416_064655_Google (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240416_064655_Google (resized).jpg
    #669 12 days ago

You should be good if you connected all your grounds together like that drawing you did.
    Remember, you can't have too much ground

#670 12 days ago

I would remove the new items individually, and see which of the new things are causing this. Once you narrow that down, then you can proceed with a better solution.
    My guess is shaker motor because it's a spinning actual motor than can create feedback.
    Underpowered motors also create a larger amperage draw when turning on, and can possibly creating a frequency issue on your lines.
    Coils allow more forgiveness being under powered, but motors do not like that, and it will also shorten their life span.

#671 12 days ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

You should be good if you connected all your grounds together like that drawing you did.
    Remember, you can't have too much ground

I already wired everything like my drawing, after your answer this morning, but nothing change.
    So I will explore your other ideas !
    Thank's for taking time to help me !

Quoted from MrBigg:

Yes, you need a ground wire from each power supply to each other power supply on the secondary side (low voltage side)
    You also need a ground wire from each on primary side (110/220) to ensure they are are also tied together.
    Do not mix these two together though, and keep primary side, and secondary side of you power supplies separate.

I think I don't understand this part....
    I don't spot the difference on the schematic you posted...

I didn't put a wire between cobra-GND and the satellite-GND....
    Dumb question : are all the GND on these boards eligible ?

With a drawing : do I need to do something like this ?
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_GND (resized).jpgCobraPinConnectionDiagram_GND (resized).jpg

#672 12 days ago

All grounds MUST MUST tie together.
    A lack of a ground can cause all kinds of issues. Feedback, glitches, and a ground searching for somewhere else to go. Like a diode, a switch, a motor.
    You have to have a continual loop on your grounds my friend to prevent ghosts

#673 12 days ago

If you look at the picture, under the two big power supplies, I have the output ground from each tied together in that terminal block, to which all other DC grounds feed into.

20220116_110832 (resized).jpg20220116_110832 (resized).jpg
    #674 12 days ago

You can test continuity with a multimeter. You don't need to connect the grounds on the cobra itself, it should already be connected. But since the 24V powersupply goes not directly into the cobra, this is the ground you will need to connect with the others.
    so when you make that connection in your first drawing it should connect all grounds.
    do you have a multimeter? It is a good way to tell if there is a ground thats not connected.

#675 12 days ago

Hmm or could it me like my servo jumping problem...
    when i pressed the flipperbutton, sometimes a servo would move. What i think helped was: making a more direct gnd connection and making sure the high voltage cables are not close to the servo cable.
    So in your case the led cables.

#676 12 days ago

Ok, i'll see if it's touching something but from memory it doesn't....
    Thank's everyone for trying to help me ! Still stuck...

- Re-wire "GND" : no change
    - Put a diode on the shaker : no change
    - Change the 24V and wire the 48V on the satellite : no change

The fact that the post-up is buzzing can't be a clue ?

Still need to test with the multimeter (I need another hand).

Gasp !

#677 12 days ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

Ok, i'll see if it's touching something but from memory it doesn't....
    Thank's everyone for trying to help me ! Still stuck...
    - Re-wire "GND" : no change
    - Put a diode on the shaker : no change
    - Change the 24V and wire the 48V on the satellite : no change
    The fact that the post-up is buzzing can't be a clue ?
    Still need to test with the multimeter (I need another hand).
    Gasp !

Hm i don't know but does the uppost have an old singlewound coil like from an em machine? Or is it new? I am not an expert but when i first used old em coils on deep blue rage, there was buzzing, but that was alright because of the coils. But in that case take a look at this to prevent something burning. Look at single wound coils.
    https://missionpinball.org/mechs/coils/dual_vs_single_wound/

Hope i understood your problem correctly.

#678 12 days ago

Ha just thought of something. You could try to plug the satelite into a different usb port of the pc.
    (i don't have a reasonable explanation for that, just had an experience once, where an usb port caused problems, where a different didn't. There a usb busses on a pc, some ports might do something a little bit different.)

#679 12 days ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

Hm i don't know but does the uppost have an old singlewound coil like from an em machine? Or is it new? I am not an expert but when i first used old em coils on deep blue rage, there was buzzing, but that was alright because of the coils. But in that case take a look at this to prevent something burning. Look at single wound coils.
    https://missionpinball.org/mechs/coils/dual_vs_single_wound/
    Hope i understood your problem correctly.

Yes it's a brand new single coil, but I think I made the correct configuration, multiple try to have something really low to maintain.
    I tried to maintain the knocker (new single coil as well), same result : the knocker is buzzing and led and satellite start "flashing"...

Quoted from stefanmader:

Ha just thought of something. You could try to plug the satelite into a different usb port of the pc.
    (i don't have a reasonable explanation for that, just had an experience once, where an usb port caused problems, where a different didn't. There a usb busses on a pc, some ports might do something a little bit different.)

I just tried...
    Bad luck, same result, thank's for the idea !

Raaaaah !

#681 11 days ago

So MrBigg was right, it was a problem with those led.
    It was a connection between 2 led strip.
    I was lazy at this time, and I just wired the "information" wire, no connection between GND or power.

Thank's everyone for your help !
    I now have a better GND system, with all the power supply tied together, so it's a good thing, it will probably prevent others problems.

There are 681 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-homebrew-channel-tips-tricks-amp-showoff-pics/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.