IMG_4319 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4318 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4316 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4317 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_shopitem_5778_2 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240402_132312_Stern IC (resized).jpg
20240331_234905 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 125.
#5801 4 months ago
Quoted from binary01:

I have no experience with IC , as my NIB GZ is my first game equipped with it. Is there a way to turn down the brightness on the QR reader? I have all of my lighting brightness dialed down, and the device really stands out.

No, but don't worry.. the reader's light will eventually die and you'll get a dark reader instead

The game varies the light intensity at different periods... but is also huge failure point.

#5802 4 months ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

This WiFi dongle was the recommendation of HDBrian
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V4R3QHW
It is larger than “normal” but it fits.
The signal strength on my JP says 55 and is less than 8 feet from my access point. It works. Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I always point the antennas straight up and down. That gets better reception.

#5803 4 months ago
Quoted from zahner:

It was explained to me by someone who knows more than me about computers (which is most of the world population) that he noticed Stern used Linux, which would be the problem. He said Unix - no problem. Windows-no problem, but Linux - problem.
Unfortunately for me, I doubt I’ll be able to convince the family to change the name on my end and all other solutions are dead in the water here for nontechnical reasons. So, no more insider connected for this old man at home.
Oh well, at least it will still be a thing on location.

They make wifi extenders that can broadcast a different SSID than the SSID they receive. You may not need the extender, but you could use it to receive the SSID with the apostrophe (that you can not change) and then set the extender to broadcast a different SSID, one that does not have an apostrophe.

Heck, this one can do that, plus it has an ethernet port, so you could just run a network cable from this extender and plug it into the ethernet port on the top of the main node CPU board in your backbox. And right now it is 52% off ($16.97).
https://a.co/d/7NFopSG

#5804 4 months ago
Quoted from HDBrian:

plus it has an ethernet port, so you could just run a network cable from this extender and plug it into the ethernet port on the top of the main node CPU board in your backbox.

This would be my recommendation as well. The less wireless interference, the better.

#5805 4 months ago
Quoted from binary01:

I have no experience with IC , as my NIB GZ is my first game equipped with it. Is there a way to turn down the brightness on the QR reader? I have all of my lighting brightness dialed down, and the device really stands out.

Unplug it from under the apron, problem is you won't be able to use IC.

#5806 4 months ago
Quoted from binary01:

Another option is to relocate the IC QR code reader to the coin door. There is a $39 kit available from Pinsider Gotfrogs and the installation is quite simple.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/05778-metal-stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount

Gord

#5807 4 months ago
Quoted from loren3233:

Unplug it from under the apron, problem is you won't be able to use IC.

Not necessarily true. If you have Home Team set up, you can just hold down the left flipper button and bring up your home team members, up to 10. I have this on Zepellin that only has the wifi connection and no reader. If it's your only machine, scan in the people you want and save them to the team, and then unplug the reader. If you have multiple machines you can scan and manage the team on one with an active scanner. The door option was well worth it though on my IMDN.

#5808 4 months ago

#5809 4 months ago

I noticed on the Stern IC page they use game numbers in a predictable format.

https://insider.sternpinball.com/insider/games/120

Basically the last 3 digits, starting at 100 going up. It covers all the IC games, except machine 119. Which Im guessing is the NFT game that had an IC dongle attached to it?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#5810 4 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Basically the last 3 digits, starting at 100 going up. It covers all the IC games, except machine 119. Which Im guessing is the NFT game that had an IC dongle attached to it?
[quoted image]

Really tried to track this game down when I was NYC right about they time it was announced. I missed the party by a week or two if I remember correctly. The guys who did the project were nice and messaged back and forth with me on Twitter, but it was only available for private parties when I was there.

#5811 4 months ago

Not sure if anyone has experienced this. On my home team, I was the first player and then my son, then some friends. All of a sudden, I'm the 4th player in the list and I'm still pretty much the only person that plays regularly. Not sure how to make myself the first selectable player again. Any ideas?

#5812 4 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

[quoted image]

is that game getting the os / backend updates for IC?

#5813 4 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

[quoted image]

Is this game actually going to come out someday?

#5814 4 months ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Is this game actually going to come out someday?

No. It was a one off custom build. I can't remember, but I think maybe a couple were built. There was an account on Twitter that had all the details.

#5815 4 months ago

I played at The Flipper Room last night (LOVE this place) and once again I see how awesome it is to have a leaderboard up on the wall for everyone to see in real time. It adds to the excitement. I loved being able to glance over and see how far away I was from the 4th place high score on James Bond for example. Having this in my home arcade when I'm hosting gatherings and small tournaments would be HUGE to me.

STERN,... would you PLEASE make leaderboards available for us home users!!!!! COME ON!! It's been 2 f-ing years!!! MAKE IT HAPPEN.
I think I can speak for most people and say that we would be willing to pay a reasonable annual fee for this feature. Just do it!

#5816 4 months ago

They always talk about how the server cost would go up so much at stern which is partly to blame why they haven’t done the home leaderboards yet. But explain it to me like I’m 5, couldn't it all reside on a local system? Like couldn't each of your machines check the local network to find a pc or other device that is running the home leaderboard to update the scores? I dont see why it really needs to impact sterns servers at all.

#5817 4 months ago

By "reasonable fee", I hope you mean included in the yearly insider connected cost because as of now, I don't see much value subscribing to it, other than receiving a plastic cup and a Stern Coin.

#5818 4 months ago
#5819 4 months ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

By "reasonable fee", I hope you mean included in the yearly inside connected cost because as of now, I don't see much value subscribing to it, other than receiving a plastic cup and a Stern Coin.

There is NO fee for Insider Connect. Are you talking about Stern's "all access"? I don't see why anybody would pay $40 for that as it stands right now. That's a total waste of money in my opinion.
Now if they included leaderboards for home users, then I would definitely pay $40 annually.

#5820 4 months ago

Yes I meant all access.

I think that is the coin - I have mine in a little display case - if that is not it, mine looks very similar. I can post a pic when I get home.

#5821 4 months ago

I don't get the desire for the home leader boards. I do have people over, but it seems like it would end up just being a lot of my scores from the month up there. In any given month, I'm the main player putting in scores. Sure, I have friends over 1-3 times each month depending on how busy work it, but I can't see it being something they would be interested in. People do love to try for my high score boards on each machine.

#5822 4 months ago

Different coin

IMG_2020 (resized).jpegIMG_2020 (resized).jpegIMG_2021 (resized).jpegIMG_2021 (resized).jpeg
#5823 4 months ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

I don't get the desire for the home leader boards. I do have people over, but it seems like it would end up just being a lot of my scores from the month up there. In any given month, I'm the main player putting in scores. Sure, I have friends over 1-3 times each month depending on how busy work it, but I can't see it being something they would be interested in. People do love to try for my high score boards on each machine.

You could clear your high scores and have a party and your guests would see their names and high scores on the board. Especially if you have teenagers like I do. My son will have his friends over and I guarantee they will be competing with one another to try to knock each other off the board.
Same when I have a house full of pinball players.

#5824 4 months ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

You could clear your high scores and have a party and your guests would see their names and high scores on the board. Especially if you have teenagers like I do. My son will have his friends over and I guarantee they will be competing with one another to try to knock each other off the board.
Same when I have a house full of pinball players.

I could see that being fun for parties. Throw it up on the TV and give everyone something to chat about.

#5825 4 months ago
Quoted from EtzEtz:

But explain it to me like I’m 5, couldn't it all reside on a local system? Like couldn't each of your machines check the local network to find a pc or other device that is running the home leaderboard to update the scores?

This is certainly feasible, but not a modern design paradigm that Stern would want to use. Gomez has said many times he wants Insider Connected to be the Xbox Live of pinball. Cloud is the way.

Gomez also said that he realizes they aren’t giving enough value (really any value) for the $40 all access. Home Leaderboards will probably be locked behind that paywall.

#5826 4 months ago

Leaderboards are also still paywalled because they need to give operators something worthwhile

I also think there is limited appeal for the home leaderboards. Might be cool if they added a high score display that listed the best score for all the players registered on a particular games home team (or hell, anyone who comes over and scans themselves in). Then you get the same basic functionality without the server or an extra TV screen in the room.

Really they could be greatly expanding the local leaderboard system already. Why not tell me what my best score for mode XYZ is, and what the highest score by anyone on the machine is?

#5827 4 months ago

With 8 IC games at home I run tournaments and a home league and would reallllly like home leaderboards. Since this never came out we use iScored.com for our leaderboard and it's been working great. Now not only are my games on there but my friends pins as well.

Quoted from JustEverett:

#5828 4 months ago

On AWS it would not add much at all. UI would even like to see them give us an open API where we, the community, can develope leaderboards and all kinds of virtual leagues!

Quoted from EtzEtz:

They always talk about how the server cost would go up so much at stern which is partly to blame why they haven’t done the home leaderboards yet. But explain it to me like I’m 5, couldn't it all reside on a local system? Like couldn't each of your machines check the local network to find a pc or other device that is running the home leaderboard to update the scores? I dont see why it really needs to impact sterns servers at all.

#5829 4 months ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Different coin[quoted image][quoted image]

I've been all access since Insider started and never got a coin.

#5830 4 months ago
Quoted from EtzEtz:

I dont see why it really needs to impact sterns servers at all.

You would need to have someone write software package to run these home leaderboards as well, and they did kinda tell ops this was going to be something to help drive their businesses. So no there is not really any technical challenges standing in its way.

#5831 4 months ago

For anyone who has gotten this badge, what is the requirement to get it?

The other similar badges have text along the lines of :
“Scan and play any Insider Connected game with two or more players. Get a combined total score of XXX million to earn this badge.”

IMG_1255 (resized).jpegIMG_1255 (resized).jpeg
#5832 4 months ago

"On Valentine’s Day, scan and play any Insider Connected game with two or more players. Get a combined total score of 250 million to earn this special Gary Stern badge"

No one should have it yet.

#5833 4 months ago

That picture looks a little different than the badge for Valentine’s Day.

#5834 4 months ago

Yea I finally found the place they tucked away the current quests in IC. It used to be on the first page. Now it’s on the PlayNow page (ball icon), then Stern Events.

#5835 4 months ago

Can some computer literate person tell me how to copy the page of my badges and turn it into a picture? Ctrl + something...maybe

#5836 4 months ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Not sure if anyone has experienced this. On my home team, I was the first player and then my son, then some friends. All of a sudden, I'm the 4th player in the list and I'm still pretty much the only person that plays regularly. Not sure how to make myself the first selectable player again. Any ideas?

So, it's just me?

#5837 4 months ago

Could be.

If you go into your machine’s config screens, you can re-do the order of the home team members.

Go to NET, Setup Home Team, use +- to select a home team member and then follow prompts to move that member’s position or delete them entirely

#5838 4 months ago

How do you turn off auto updates?

#5839 4 months ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

How do you turn off auto updates?

In settings goto NET. Then download updates, press enter and there is the setting to turn off auto update

#5840 4 months ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Can some computer literate person tell me how to copy the page of my badges and turn it into a picture? Ctrl + something...maybe

Ctrl+ or Crtl - to grow or shrink the badges to fill the screen

Printscn button to save a screenshot

Then you'll need to use some art program to crop it

#5841 4 months ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Ctrl+ or Crtl - to grow or shrink the badges to fill the screen
Printscn button to save a screenshot
Then you'll need to use some art program to crop it

Excellent Thanks!

#5842 4 months ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Correct, no need to physically remove the scanner, just run a cable. It's quite fiddly trying to unplug and plug a cable into the scanner with it in place though, I use a RJ45 coupler to join another cable to the short cable, unplugging that from the node board which is easier to get to.

My JP has Insider connect and my IMDN doesn't. The two games are right next to each other. Couldn't I just take the QR Cable that's plugged into my Jurassic Park node board and plug it into my IMDN node board? It looks like there's plenty of cable to easily reach my IMDN? I have a Cat-5e cable,and a RJ45 coupler being delivered sometime next week,if this doesn't work.

The IMDN already has a wifi dongle and an SD card, since the last owner had this game set up to Home Team. The game has the latest code
and the display shows a insider connect menu. So I won't need to do a code update, correct? One more thing,this will allow me to update my IMDN automatically just like my JP is set up to do, right ?

IMG_20240204_133630239 (resized).jpgIMG_20240204_133630239 (resized).jpgIMG_20240204_135102452 (resized).jpgIMG_20240204_135102452 (resized).jpg
#5843 4 months ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

My JP has Insider connect and my IMDN doesn't. The two games are right next to each other. Couldn't I just take the QR Cable that's plugged into my Jurassic Park node board and plug it into my IMDN node board? It looks like there's plenty of cable to easily reach my IMDN? I have a Cat-5e cable,and a RJ45 coupler being delivered sometime next week,if this doesn't work.
The IMDN already has a wifi dongle and an SD card, since the last owner had this game set up to Home Team. The game has the latest code
and the display shows a insider connect menu. So I won't need to do a code update, correct? One more thing,this will allow me to update my IMDN automatically just like my JP is set up to do, right ?[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes. You only have to hook up the scanner long enough to set up insider and home team. Then you can remove it and home team will work.

#5844 4 months ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Yes. You only have to hook up the scanner long enough to set up insider and home team. Then you can remove it and home team will work.

Thank You. The best part of IC to me, is the automatic updates.

#5845 4 months ago

Hey there Stern Pinball players. I just wanted to show off my Badges that I have collected. A little incentive to play more pinball. I can only imagine how March will be the Luck of the Irish, with Green Clovers.

QuestBadges2024 (resized).jpgQuestBadges2024 (resized).jpg
#5847 4 months ago

So the live leaderboards only show the top 100? Some of those scores ......sheesh!

#5848 4 months ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I appreciate all the help with getting Home Team set up on my JP Prem. Hopefully this is the one stop shop to get this done. Although I read other posts, I was still confused on a few issues.
1. You need a USB WIFI dongle. This is the one recommended that I bought for $26. I could have bought locally for $42 but it was only for Windows and Mac and this one works and saved me $16.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFAN498/ref=cm_sw_r_api_i_3151VSYZ4KGS4KBDR7C8_0
CanaKit Raspberry Pi WiFi Wireless Adapter/Dongle (802.11 n/g/b 150 Mbps)
2. You need a 32GB Micro SD card Class 10 or larger. I had a 64GB sitting around for years and used this and saved some money.
3. You need a long enough Cat Cable with RJ45 connectors.
4. With both games off, remove the back glass on the game you want to add Home Team. Insert the Micro SD card at the bottom of the board as shown in the photo.
5. Place the WIFI dongle into one of the two USB connectors in the middle of the board.
6. I was not sure if the game you were using for the IC reader needed to be on. The question is irrelevant. As suggested, I quickly took off the apron on my Foo Premium. The IC Reader is just connected with the RJ45 cable so easy to remove. The cable is short so easier to remove it before you move it. I placed it on a table for easier access for me. Therefore, the donor pinball (in my case Foo Prem) did not need to be on.
7. Connect the RJ45 connector to the IC Reader on the apron.
8. Connect the RJ45 connector to the back box board. My middle RJ45 connector was open (I do not have a Stern Topper). It could also go on the node board below the playfield near the left flipper but I didn't need to do that.
9. Turn on the game that you want to add Home Team to. (For me it was JP Prem.)
10. The Micro SD card will be prepared. This will take a few minutes.
11. In the Network menu, I chose Set Up Connection and selected my wifi name and typed in my password. There is an easier way to scan the QR code from another game that is set up but I didn't bother with that.
12. In the Network Menu, I chose Stern Insider Connected and followed the directions on the screen. You need to scan your QR code from your insider account to the IC Reader.
13. in the Network Menu, I chose Set Up Home Team and followed the directions to add my information.
14. I turned off the game. I removed the RJ45 connector. I put the backglass back. I turned on the game and pressed the left flipper to bring up Home Team and chose my information to play and it works great.
15. I removed the RJ45 from the apron. I reattached the RJ45 from the game. I reinstalled the apron on the other game. Put back the glass and balls. I made the sure the other game continued to work. Which it did.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Added 27 days ago: 1/10/2024.
The CanaKit wifi dongle just stopped working. Yesterday it was giving me very low wifi signal. (This dongle stopped working in 11 days. Luckily I can return it to Amazon.)
HDBrian Recommended this dongle.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V4R3QHW

Thanks for taking the time to print up this little tutorial. I had one little hitch where I had to change the USB port I was using in the games back box. After doing that it was smooth sailing.

#5849 3 months ago

Since a few weeks, in Insider Connected, the "latest achievement" is stuck on the Stranger Things Demogorgon Hunter Bronze achievement. All other achievements I received afterwards are always shown beneath the Demogorgon achievement. The timestamp of this achievement updates every game as if it was received in that game. All the other achievements in the screenshot should be newer. Wife's account has the exact same behaviour. I reached out to Stern, but they haven't been able to replicate this problem on their accounts. Anyone here with the same thing happening?

C (resized).pngC (resized).png
#5850 3 months ago
Quoted from arnzzz:

Since a few weeks, in Insider Connected, the "latest achievement" is stuck on the Stranger Things Demogorgon Hunter Bronze achievement. All other achievements I received afterwards are always shown beneath the Demogorgon achievement. The timestamp of this achievement updates every game as if it was received in that game. All the other achievements in the screenshot should be newer. Wife's account has the exact same behaviour. I reached out to Stern, but they haven't been able to replicate this problem on their accounts. Anyone here with the same thing happening?
[quoted image]

I have absolutely had this happen, only in my case it was for an Avengers: Infinity Quest achievement. It was also one of the bronze/silver/gold tiered achievements, I believe for collecting Trophies. That achievement was stuck there for weeks even though I earned plenty other achievements on other games (at home) after that. I *think* (but cannot confirm) that it finally changed after I earned a new 'verified' achievement, i.e. on a 'public' machine at a location...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 200.00
Pinball Machine
PINBALLPICKERS

$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 18,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

5,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,247 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/117 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.