PXL_20230917_043941870 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230917_044240763 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230917_044229348 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230917_044146883 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1694926168377 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1694926163205 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1694926157501 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1694926149596 (resized).jpg
There are 380 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 9 years ago

I know there are a bunch of owners and admirers of this underrated pin on pinside, so I thought it made sense to start a club to talk about issues, mods, parts, etc. I know in my one year of ownership, I've had a lot of questions which other Special Force owners have been able to help me with. A club devoted to users seems to make sense. So, let's go! Who's in?

#2 9 years ago

I'll get the ball rolling by mentioning that my daughter had the somewhat unique idea of modding the pin to add a camouflaged spinner. I haven't quite thought this through yet, but my initial idea is the entrance to the helicopter ramp. I'm not sure it will fit in with the swing gate, and I need to see how the electronics will work if I replace the swing gate with a spinner. Right now, I'm still in the thinking stages . . . .

2 weeks later
#3 9 years ago

I put blue LED's under the light bonus X, 'X', and the 1x, 2x... lights. I think the blue looks AWESOME!!

I'm fiddling with green LED's under the treetop plastics its coming along nicely, have to be careful not to spill green light on the yellow ramps though.

Put red flashers next to the tank drop targets so its a red flash when you fire the missles.

I had the game settings set to what I called easy mode" for a while, it made the game a lot more approachable. I set the 1,200,000 bounus to extra ball, the 2,500,000 bonus to extra ball, special to... you guessed it, extra ball. I set the hostage drop target to light release hostage after 2 hits and to engage multiball after 3. Made it a lot easier to get multiball, which I thought was more fun. I turned off the "retain locked balls after game" to avoid people locking 2 balls and starting a game with multiball cheese. I kept the tilt at 4 though, not turning it off, the way this game handles a lt is cool, you get a set number of warnings before you get the big 'T', itmakes you keep track in your head if its okay to try to bump save on the one way gates or not. and those one way gates are the most tilt inducing things I think ive ever seen in a pinball table.

2014-10-08 17.21.20.jpg2014-10-08 17.21.20.jpg 2014-10-08 17.21.30.jpg2014-10-08 17.21.30.jpg
#4 9 years ago

Hey! A second member of the club. I was about ready to give up hope.

Your lighting looks great. I really like the blue LEDs.

I have used some of the same settings as yours. Getting an extra ball for 1.2 and 2.5 million definitely makes the game more fun. Otherwise, it is quite difficult to get the really high scores.

#5 9 years ago

I'd like to join this club someday! I love nordman games, but I've never had the pleasure of playing this one. It looks great to me, but I have a few questions:

Helicopter ramp - how does it feel? Does the whirlpool action get tiresome? Does it consistently drop the ball onto the playfield in a certain spot?

Missiles - how do you get them? Do they get used often to clear out targets, or do you need to clear most of them with regular shots?

I'd also be interested in hearing some general rules/strategies.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I'd like to join this club someday! I love nordman games, but I've never had the pleasure of playing this one. It looks great to me, but I have a few questions:
Helicopter ramp - how does it feel? Does the whirlpool action get tiresome? Does it consistently drop the ball onto the playfield in a certain spot?
Missiles - how do you get them? Do they get used often to clear out targets, or do you need to clear most of them with regular shots?
I'd also be interested in hearing some general rules/strategies.

Hey there. The helicopter ramp combined with the "bombs" is one of the coolest features of the game. It is also one of the strategies I use to earn points. You earn bombs by lighting the bomb targets. Once you have bombs, you "load" them near the ramp with the load bomb target. You can load up to three bombs at once. If you have bombs loaded and hit the ramp, the bombs are dropped on the pop bumper huts. While this is not exactly politically correct, it is a really cool effect as when the bombs are dropped, the pop bumpers thump repeatedly a few times to make it sound like an explosion. It is really cool if you have three bombs loaded and they all drop one after the other. With each dropped bomb, a hut gets lighted. Lighted huts are worth more on the pops, and blinking lighted huts are worth the most.

Rockets are earned by lighting the rocket targets. You also get 2 with each new ball. The rockets can take out the tank drop targets, so you often don't need to clear those targets with regular shots.

While the game doesn't have a huge amount of depth, there are a couple of strategies I use besides increasing the points of the pops by dropping bombs. One is getting multiball. Unlike most modern games, multiball is extremely difficult to get on Special Force, and it is even harder to get the jackpot. I can do it somewhat consistently now, but that was after a lot of work. First, you need to lock (or "capture") your ball ("hostage") behind the hostage target. You can capture up to two hostages. Then you need to shoot the ball all the way up the left most alley, past the three drop targets. Then you need to hit the road shot (right most ramp). This starts multiball. The object then is to set explosives by getting any ball up any ramp. Once explosives are set, you need to hit the helicopter ramp to "escape" and collect the jackpot. The jackpot value I believe increases the longer you play in multiball, but I'm not good enough so I try to escape as soon as I can.

The other strategy I use is to keep hitting the weapons ramp. This is one of the tightest and most difficult shots. Each time you hit it, you increase the weapon bonus which is earned by hitting the road ramp.

If you can play long enough, the point values just increase, and you have a decent payback the more you play.

Again, not a lot of depth, but still fun and plenty challenging.

1 week later
#7 9 years ago

I just picked one up, but cannot get it to play yet. the solenoids are misfiring and I can't figure out why.

#8 9 years ago

What do you mean by misfiring? Not going off? Going off when they shouldn't? All of them, some of them?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Meatneck:

I just picked one up, but cannot get it to play yet. the solenoids are misfiring and I can't figure out why.

Ditto what e4mafia asked. Also, you may want to put this out there in a separate thread as you may get more responses. Try to give as much information as possible. There are lots of people on here who can help you.

#10 9 years ago

boy oh boy... I have been looking at one of these for a year now. what do you guys think is a decent price for one? he just put Green LED displays in it so the price went up and I am sooooo on the fence for this one. it is either buy it or keep saving for something else. needless to say I have thought about it a lot for almost a year and a half

#11 9 years ago

Had one. Loved it. Wish I still had it. It complimented my dr dude

IMG_20130724_222416.jpgIMG_20130724_222416.jpg
#12 9 years ago

Here it is led'd

20130910_153505(0).jpg20130910_153505(0).jpg
#13 9 years ago

Yes it was bolted to the wall lol

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

boy oh boy... I have been looking at one of these for a year now. what do you guys think is a decent price for one? he just put Green LED displays in it so the price went up and I am sooooo on the fence for this one. it is either buy it or keep saving for something else. needless to say I have thought about it a lot for almost a year and a half

Depends upon the condition, but they usually are fairly inexpensive. $400-800. I can see paying more than that for one that was in excellent condition. It is a great pin for the price.

#15 9 years ago

I will join in. I've had my Special Force probably for 2 years. For the money it is a great game.

#16 9 years ago

Okay. game powers all lights are good. the outhole solenoid is bad (on order should be here tomorrow) If i tell the self test to cucycle it gets to inline dts reset and both it and the weapon reset fire, then the playfield fuse pops. I de-soldered the online tried again, the weapon reset fired and popped the fuse again. If I put three balls in and start a game, all the targets reset without popping the fuse, but if I fire right rocket the target does not drop (multimeter says resistance is in normal op) if the left rocket is fired, the inline drops the target and resets the weapon dt. I cannot find the problem, and I am thinking its something hinkey in the backbox (MPU?)

#17 9 years ago

I have one - a lot of game for what they go for.

DSC_7284.JPGDSC_7284.JPG
#18 9 years ago

ya up here in Canada pins are a little more expensive. The owner is gonna be asking $1600.00
my limit on this one I think is $1000

#19 9 years ago

YOUCH! Thats way over, but I understand the limits of a small market. Good luck with it. Its a great little game. The strategy in general is fairly simple, but requires some skilled shooting to make happen. The outlane save 'trap doors' are great fun when you figure out how to do them. And the cut throat nature of stealing your opponents ball locks is good fun too. Well, less fun when Nokoro does it to ME, but you get the picture

#20 9 years ago

Wow, Melbourne, I love the red trim on the cabinet. Looks great! Did you do that yourself?

#21 9 years ago

Thanks, I did it myself. My original side rails were pitted. Its nothing fancy, just took off the parts/cleaned and spray painted it red with a few coats of clear. I liked the look SkitB did on Predator and just borrowed the idea on this machine.

DSC_7303.JPGDSC_7303.JPG
#22 9 years ago

I added some tanks and lights to mine since my last post.

2014-10-30 17.12.38.jpg2014-10-30 17.12.38.jpg 2014-10-30 17.15.29.jpg2014-10-30 17.15.29.jpg 2014-10-30 17.13.13.jpg2014-10-30 17.13.13.jpg 2014-10-30 17.18.48.jpg2014-10-30 17.18.48.jpg
#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I'll get the ball rolling by mentioning that my daughter had the somewhat unique idea of modding the pin to add a camouflaged spinner. I haven't quite thought this through yet, but my initial idea is the entrance to the helicopter ramp. I'm not sure it will fit in with the swing gate, and I need to see how the electronics will work if I replace the swing gate with a spinner. Right now, I'm still in the thinking stages . . . .

My idea of putting the spinner in front of the helicopter ramp I don't think will work. It won't fit in with the game electronics if I try to tie it to the switch on the swing gate as that switch immediately shuts off the helicopter sounds and points. Maybe there is a way of making a delay, but that is beyond me. I also don't want to drill any holes into the playfield. So, now I'm thinking if I do anything, perhaps I'll put a dummy spinner somewhere on the helicopter ramp. I would have to clamp it on somehow, and it wouldn't do anything except spin, but it might look cool, especially in combination with the sounds from the ramp. Anyway, still thinking . . . .

#24 9 years ago

You win at Special force by maxing the maxing out the far right ramp value by hitting the u turn ramp repeatedly. The right ramp can get up to 250k a shot. The multiball jackpot can be worth 2 million as well.

The game is actually pretty fun and challenging. Bit of a drain monster. None of the ramps feed the flippers.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

You win at Special Force by maxing the maxing out the far right ramp value by hitting the u turn ramp repeatedly. The right ramp can get up to 250k a shot. The multiball jackpot can be worth 2 million as well.

Agree. You can get a lot of points that way. But that u turn ramp is the hardest shot in the game, at least for me. I brick it over 3/4 of the time.

1 week later
#26 9 years ago

I have decided I want to join this group at some point. I want to find a somewhat project machine and work on some custom ideas for it. Namely custom cabinet artwork and possibly building a diverter habitrail to return the ball to either the bowl or an inlane alternately.....

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I have decided I want to join this group at some point. I want to find a somewhat project machine and work on some custom ideas for it. Namely custom cabinet artwork and possibly building a diverter habitrail to return the ball to either the bowl or an inlane alternately.....

I would love to see pictures of this if you make it happen. Sounds cool.

2 weeks later
#28 9 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

ya up here in Canada pins are a little more expensive. The owner is gonna be asking $1600.00
my limit on this one I think is $1000

Ha, I was just checking to find a price after I saw that ad on Kijiji. Way over-priced. My guess is the person had it fixed up and wants to recoup some losses.

#29 9 years ago

$400 to $600 in Canada, $1K if you have some oilsands money!

1 week later
#30 9 years ago

I was looking at the attract mode on Special Force and comparing it to my much newer and shinier Star Trek Pro, and I have to say that the attract on Special Force wins hands down. Absolutely beautiful display!

1 week later
#31 9 years ago

hi

i am doing a restoration of a special force , but i have a problem i am missing a plastic decor piece on the right sight just before the ball goes up the ramp i have looked but had no luck finding one is there someone who can help me ?

#32 9 years ago

special force.jpgspecial force.jpg

#33 9 years ago

Finally I can join a club! Picked one up at an auction the other day. It has some problems, GI lights not all working and the translite is shot, but its a fun game. Can't wait to dig in and start fixing it up

#34 9 years ago

Woohoo! Had a local guy come over and get my special force up and running, now I just have to get her balanced, some rubbers and waxy!

#35 9 years ago

I have some hot wheels type toys (a helicopter, a tank, and a hummer) that I want to put in different spots on the playfield, but don't want to drill holes. since they have wheels, what should I use to put them on? I was thinking poster putty tack, but was afraid it might leave behind some residue. I also am thinking of printing some vinyl stickers of rockets and sticking them to the tops of the flippers.

#36 9 years ago

Has anyone noticed that one outlane save is easier to do the save than the other? mine are in the same hole, but I have trouble saving on one side, while the other is almost too easy. chime in here!

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Meatneck:

Has anyone noticed that one outlane save is easier to do the save than the other? mine are in the same hole, but I have trouble saving on one side, while the other is almost too easy. chime in here!

Welcome to the club!

I think both of my outlanes are about the same. I have noticed that the game can vary a bit based on how well balanced it is, with some ramps being easier to hit than others. IMO, this pin seems a bit more finicky that way than others. Perhaps it is the same with the lanes.

I've also noticed I can nudge with my right arm much better than my left. So, that affects me as well.

Quoted from Meatneck:

I have some hot wheels type toys (a helicopter, a tank, and a hummer) that I want to put in different spots on the playfield, but don't want to drill holes. since they have wheels, what should I use to put them on? I was thinking poster putty tack, but was afraid it might leave behind some residue. I also am thinking of printing some vinyl stickers of rockets and sticking them to the tops of the flippers.

If you do this, definitely post some pictures. I wouldn't think puddy tack would be strong enough, and you don't want them to come loose and get flung all over the play field. I Haven't tried modding that much, but I would think you would want to screw or clamp it onto the plastics or ramps somehow, most likely using already existing screws. I wouldn't go overboard with this (or any) pin, but I think a couple of well placed toys might look ok.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from tonybelgium:

special force.jpg 104 KB

Quoted from tonybelgium:

hi
i am doing a restoration of a Special Force , but i have a problem i am missing a plastic decor piece on the right sight just before the ball goes up the ramp i have looked but had no luck finding one is there someone who can help me ?

I scanned this plastic if anyone else needs it.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I scanned this plastic if anyone else needs it.

That's great! Thanks. I'll send you a PM.

#40 9 years ago

The putty tack is holding thru 30-40 games so far. An airball might dislodge them, but I don't think they are going anywhere. heres the pics.

overhead.JPGoverhead.JPG

hummer.JPGhummer.JPG copter.JPGcopter.JPG tank.JPGtank.JPG
#41 9 years ago

The helicopter looks great there! Like it was made for it! I am going to have to steal your idea on that one.

#42 9 years ago

If anyone has a translite for special force they are willing to sell please let me know, mine is held together by packing tape when I bought it. Thanks!

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

The helicopter looks great there! Like it was made for it! I am going to have to steal your idea on that one.

Agreed. That looks really good there. You won't get any air balls up there. I sometimes get airballs over the lower plastics though so watch out.

#44 9 years ago

Quick tip: A friend just came over to help me diagnose a problem with the flashers on the left side of the playfield -- the ones that go off with the left rocket or tank drop target hits. All three were not working. Turns out that if one of the bulbs goes, all three will not work as you break the circuit. Just like old fashion Christmas lights. Replacing the one dead bulb brought all three back to life.

(I should have checked that on my own, but the bulb that was out was brand new, so I was sure that couldn't be the problem. )

1 week later
#45 9 years ago

So I just went to play a game, turned it on and the back box lit up, shoot again lit then shut off, and nothing happens. Fuses OK though. It has a mi d of its own!! Any ideas?

#46 9 years ago

If anyone has a back glass for a special force please let me know. Here is mine after trying to reinstall....

1420827577858.jpg1420827577858.jpg
#47 9 years ago
Quoted from amkoepfer:

So I just went to play a game, turned it on and the back box lit up, shoot again lit then shut off, and nothing happens. Fuses OK though. It has a mi d of its own!! Any ideas?

How many flashes on the led in the back box do you get upon start up?

Sorry about the back glass. That sucks.

#48 9 years ago

I got the game working after unplugging and plugging in all connections

3 weeks later
#49 9 years ago

Got my new special force back glass yesterday!

1 month later
#50 9 years ago

How powerful is everyone's slingshots? Mine seemed a little sluggish. But I checked the plungers, and they seem to move freely. I adjusted the switches to make them more sensitive, and that helped make them fire a bit more. But obviously that doesn't affect power. My other pin is a new Stern Star Trek where the slingshots are unbelievably strong, so perhaps Special Force just suffers by comparison. It just seems that unless the ball hits the direct center of the rubber on the slingshots, I don't get that great a reaction.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 380 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/special-force-owners-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.