Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 days ago by Atoms
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 32 days ago

Space Odyssey seems to do almost everything right except one troublesome thing. Once the same player shoots again lights it will not reset. Continually keeps the extra ball relay energized unless you press credit button. It then resets all to zero and same shooter light goes out, all good and will advance balls and switch between first and second player correctly all the way to game over unless you get an extra ball then stuck all over again till either new credit or power cycle. Please help me to understand where the problem could be. Thanks Jeff

#2 32 days ago

On the ball index relay, find a normally open switch with yellow & grey-yellow wires connected. Check that the switch is not closed or wire connections touching. Adjust switch if needed.

#3 32 days ago

I found those wires on switch c according to my manual. It is open but shows connection with ohm meter. There are two yellow on one leaf and two gry/yellow on the other leaf so assume they are completing the circuit where ever the second set connects to. Thank you for any further help you may offer.

#4 32 days ago

The 2nd grey-yellow wire connects to a 3 normally closed switch daisy chain circuit on the 3 scoring relays in the backbox. That’s why the switch reads to be closed.
With the machine reset, ball removed, playfield lifted and supported. Manually engage the extra ball relay. The first points scored should release the extra ball relay hold circuit and release the extra ball relay instead of pulling the ball index relay back in.
If the ball index relay is pulling back in, then check on the extra ball relay for a normally closed switch with br-g & grey-blue wires connected. Check that this switch is opening properly when the relay pulls in. Check for shorted wire connections.

#5 31 days ago

As you suggested with machine reset and playfield supported it does in fact pull in the ball index relay when scoring first points. The switch on the extra ball relay is normal closed and opens clearly when relay is manually engaged. I turned power off and verified when I push relay closed and test with meter it is open as it should be across the br-g and grey- blue wires. What else could be pulling in the ball index relay when first points scored and extra ball pulled in and held. Thank you for your patience and help. Could not locate any obvious short.

#6 31 days ago

In post #3 , repeat the resistance test on the ball index relay switch with the yellow & grey-yellow wires. The meter should show a complete circuit.
Have someone individually manually push on the backbox scoring relays. When each relay is pushed, the closed circuit meter reading should disappear. Is this what happens when each relay is manually pushed in?

#7 30 days ago

yes circuit complete and opens on operation of 10 100 and 1000 relays. Confirmed with meter. Are there more scoring relays? These are in the top head unit. Or what next.

#8 30 days ago

Make adjustments to these switches:
On the extra ball relay, the normally closed switch with the br-g wire & grey-blue wire.
Adjust switch to open early and reclose late.
The normally open hold switch with grey-yellow & y-b wires. Adjust this switch to close late and open early.
The hold switch needs to be adjusted so that it opens long before the normally closed switch recloses.
The 3rd switch to adjust is on the ball index relay. A normally open switch with yellow & grey-yellow wires. Adjust the switch to close late and open early.
Retest extra ball release.

#9 29 days ago

I carefully adjusted all the contacts as described with no results. I did check the switch's with a meter to determine exact time of contact. This did bring another question. on extra ball A contact grey-yellow y-b shows continuity with points open Is this normal. And any more suggestions Thanks so much.

#10 29 days ago

On the bonus unit wiper disc, the wiper blade in the 6:00 o’clock position when the unit is at zero position is the power feed for the ball index relay.
Slip a piece of paper in between the blade and rivets. This should keep the ball index relay from pulling in.
Repeat the extra ball release test.
Does the ball index relay still pull in with the wiper finger blocked?
Does the extra ball relay release correctly when 1st points are scored on the playfield for each of the 3 backbox scoring relays?

#11 29 days ago

The ball index relay still pulls in with the first points even with paper in place. If I manually release the index relay, I can cycle thru and first points release the the shoot again. I have confirmed that the only time the index relay is released is during the reset cycle. Otherwise, the first score in new game engages it and it stays engaged thru game play of all 5 ball till game over. New game reset cycle releases it to first score.

#12 29 days ago

On the tilt relay, find the normally open switch with yellow & grey-blue wires. If this switch is closed or connections shorted, then this is the alternate path to close the ball index relay.
Clean and inspect switch for correct gap. Adjust if needed.
Inspect ball index relay operation.
Retest extra ball release.

#13 29 days ago

Tilt switch is definitely open but meter shows connection with no obvious shorts at the switch

#14 29 days ago

extra ball not releasing

#15 28 days ago

Ok it’s a little clearer now. With the machine reset and playfield lifted:
Manually push in ball index relay.
Unplug score motor service jack.
Put a slip of paper in score motor cam 4 switch A.
Manually push in outhole relay.
Manually turn cams until cam 4 drops it’s switch stack.
The normally closed part of switch C on cam 4 and a normally closed switch on the outhole will both now be open to allow the ball index relay to release. Unless both switches are able to open the ball index relay will not release its hold circuit.
Turning the cams to cam 5 should release the outhole relay hold circuit.
Inspect and adjust switches if needed.
Plug service jack pin back in and retest.

#16 27 days ago

C on #4
switch score motor was not breaking. Readjusted and now all is well. Game play is perfect all the way. Thank you so much for ALL YOUR HELP.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-odyssey-5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.