InkedPinside_forum_7569422_0 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230916_181711227 (resized).jpg
InkedPinside_forum_7569419_0 (1) (resized).jpg
PXL_20230508_222229561 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2023-05-08 080131 (resized).png
Screenshot 2023-05-08 075640 (resized).png
PXL_20230507_155128036 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Working on Space Jam today I noticed this cut wire on the cabinet bottom. Brown with blue rings spaced on it. See pic.
Anyone know what this should go to? I'm horrible with schematics.
Thanks!

PXL_20230507_155128036 (resized).jpgPXL_20230507_155128036 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I'm horrible with schematics.

Then check charts, switch matrix, lamp matrix. See what a black wire with blue stripe goes to.

If nothing then wait for better help.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

From what I can see in the manual, Brown and Blue is the jump ball VUK.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

From what I can see in the manual, Brown and Blue is the jump ball VUK.

The jumpball VUK fires the ball up..just the magnet isn't working to grab it anymore.

Quoted from LTG:

Then check charts, switch matrix, lamp matrix. See what a black wire with blue stripe goes to.
If nothing then wait for better help.

I think it's brown LLoyd with blue bands ...

#5 1 year ago

Well the jump ball magnet is brown and violet...

#6 1 year ago

It looks like you also have a cut wire that is Yellow and Violet, which according to the manual is the segment G of the 24 second clock.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I think it's brown LLoyd with blue bands ...

You are right.

I was looking at the part nearer the cable tie. Thank you.

#8 1 year ago

That's the magnet wire, brown with a violet stripe. Jump ball VUK wire is brown with blue stripe. Close, but not the same. Coil chart in the front of the manual shows this. Get your soldering iron warmed up.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from phishrace:

That's the magnet wire, brown with a violet stripe. Jump ball VUK wire is brown with blue stripe. Close, but not the same. Coil chart in the front of the manual shows this. Get your soldering iron warmed up.

'm even more confused..So this wire laying in there fell off from some point under the playfield?

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from CUJO:

'm even more confused..So this wire laying in there fell off from some point under the playfield?

I still stand by that is Brown and Blue compared to the other wire around it, and that should be the ball kicker vuk I know sometimes things get changed and manuals can be wrong so I can't say that for sure.

In any case it doesn't matter, you said that the magnet isn't working so chances are the something broke or was cut at some point. Is this a new game for you? As I stated earlier you also have a different wire cut. My guess is there are a few other things not working correctly on this game.

If this isn't a new game and everything was working before then I don't know what to tell you, but there are at least two broken/ cut wires.If this a a new game to you and you are trying to get things figured out, I would suggest you get comfortable with reading manuals and pin out diagrams because there seems to be a lot wrong here to me.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

I still stand by that is Brown and Blue compared to the other wire around it, and that should be the ball kicker vuk I know sometimes things get changed and manuals can be wrong so I can't say that for sure.
In any case it doesn't matter, you said that the magnet isn't working so chances are the something broke or was cut at some point. Is this a new game for you? As I stated earlier you also have a different wire cut. My guess is there are a few other things not working correctly on this game.
If this isn't a new game and everything was working before then I don't know what to tell you, but there are at least two broken/ cut wires.If this a a new game to you and you are trying to get things figured out, I would suggest you get comfortable with reading manuals and pin out diagrams because there seems to be a lot wrong here to me.

No, I have had the game for years and all was working fine till last night. The jump ball magnet just quit working. I tested the three fuses on the underside of the playfield. They were all good. Don't know if there is another fuse responsible.
I just noticed that wire laying in the bottom of the cabinet today going nowhere.

And to make things worse, I pulled one of the two wires that went to the magnet loose and up thru the hole in the playfield.
Regardless, I tested the magnet with an ohm meter and it beeps when I test the two wires of the coil so the coil itself seems to be ok.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from phishrace:

The more I look at that cut wire you are right. It is brown with violet stripes. Someone must have done some sort of hack before I got the game years ago. The two wires that come off the magnet are spliced to two plain black wires, no color codes. I need to find out where these wires go underneath playfield. That cut brown/violet wire on the bottom of the cabinet where it lays now would not have reached the magnet originally..it's way too short.

#13 1 year ago

I don't understand why a wire to some playfield part would be in cabinet bottom... they most likely come from the backbox.

But as thirdedition noted, you also have a yellow/violet wire cut near a zip tie. Try following the two cut wires to see where they connect.

#14 1 year ago

That looks more way more Brown and Grey over Brown and Violet if you compare it to any other violet colors around it.

Is this game a re-import? In the manual there is a "European Ticket dispenser" listed. The wires leading to that re Brown and Grey as well as Yellow and Violet...

As far as the magnet, the two wires that are supposed to go there are Brown and Violet as was stated earlier, Then black, then a fuse, then brown on the return. It is a 20v circuit, not 50v like the other coils.

This to me looks like your problem area from your other thread, I don't own one of these games though so I can't verify.
Screenshot 2023-05-08 075640 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-05-08 075640 (resized).png

#15 1 year ago

Here is the magnet circuit.

Screenshot 2023-05-08 080131 (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-05-08 080131 (resized).png
#16 1 year ago

This is the topside of the magnet. You can see the two blue crimps that were used. One of the wires that I pulled out from under the playfield is up top now and the other you can see where it was pulled out of the splice.
I tested the magnet with a continuity tester that beeps indicating magnet coil not broken.
I know this isn't helping me troubleshoot the main issue here.

I am baffled by the cut yellow/violet wire by the speaker as well. Appears like it's not continued on anywhere from the cut towards the coin door..

I will go back an re-read all the replies. Thanks for the help so far.

Oh this game has a USA sticker on the powr/fuse box in front by the coin door so not sure if it was re-imported.

PXL_20230508_222229561 (resized).jpgPXL_20230508_222229561 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#17 10 months ago

Ok, been awhile but I'm back on this project myself after trying to get a tech out here three times.
But question first which might have something to do with the mystery wires that were cut and missing or redirected.

When I turn on SJ, in attract mode, the middle scoop in the center will actuate when I place a ball in there or push down on the "fork" that senses the ball dropping in.

Is this the way the game was designed or do someone modify that to do that?

#18 10 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Is this the way the game was designed...

Yes, normal. In attract mode, game expects to see all the balls in the trough. If CPU board sees one missing from trough and another switch closed elsewhere that normally shouldn't be closed in attract mode, like that scoop, it will fire the coil to kick the ball out and get it back to the trough.

#19 10 months ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Yes, normal. In attract mode, game expects to see all the balls in the trough. If CPU board sees one missing from trough and another switch closed elsewhere that normally shouldn't be closed in attract mode, like that scoop, it will fire the coil to kick the ball out and get it back to the trough.

Ah, makes sense.
I had all 5 balls out out when I was working on it. When I powered up pin, it searched for the balls for about 1 minute, then ceased looking.
Then the scoop will fire as you mentioned in attract mode.

#20 10 months ago

Hello everyone!
Way too hot to go play outside today so decided to re-visit the two wires coming off the jump ball magnet.
According to what I read one of two wires coming from the magnet is suppossed to be BRN/VIOLET.
From the pic you can tell they are both black wires and go thru a hole under the playfield.
All I really need to now is I can tell the one black wire got broken off at the solder spot on the left side of the fuse holder.
But according to the schematic, where does the other black wire I have in my picture go? Both went under the playfied before.
Thanks.

1 month later
#21 8 months ago

Hi Everyone.

I've contacted two local pin repair guys to come out to help fix this magnet issue weeks ago. Then they don't show. I've seen one in passing and he says "oh yeah, I'll get out there soon..so busy lately" and then he doesn't come out even though I am paying for a service call. The other guy I sent a text and no response.

I use deodorant and I'm a no pressure easy going guy.

But I've waited long enough. I've racked my brain over this schematic (sorry as I can't figure the coil in pic/wires) so I'm gonna simplify my question in hopes I can get an easy answer I can understand.

I'm not a genius with all schematics so all I want to know is this:

I have two wires coming off the jump ball magnet that got disconnected above the playfield that connect on the underside of the playfield.
The 2 wires are both black with inline crimp connectors to extend length as you can see in earlier pics.

All I need to know is where each one of the two black wires goes and does it matter if they get criss crossed when they are soldered to the correct spots?

Thank YOU !!!

3 weeks later
#22 7 months ago

SJ has been sitting too long and I can't wrap my head around where the two wires that come of the Jumball Magnet go to under the playfield.

One had broken off under the playfield which I don't know where it goes since I pulled that wire up from the top of the playfield. One of the two magnet wires is still attached underneath. The one wire that is still attached to magnet is the marked up light blue circle in picture.

So to make this simple for me, can someone confirm where the other wire from the jumball magnet attaches to underneath playfield?
Since the one magent wire is already attached to the left side of the fuse holder, where would the other wire from the magnet go?
Thanks!

InkedPinside_forum_7569419_0 (1) (resized).jpgInkedPinside_forum_7569419_0 (1) (resized).jpg
#23 7 months ago

I notcied the BRN/VIOLET wire to the jump ball magnet circuit is almost broken free from the lug. Just 3 or 4 stands are keeping it attached.
Will definitley restrip that wire and resolder once I get in there with the other info I'm hoping someone can assist with.

Thanks!
CuJo

PXL_20230916_181711227 (resized).jpgPXL_20230916_181711227 (resized).jpg
#24 7 months ago

Can someone tell me what the text says in the blue circles? Or maybe has a better pic of this schematic section?
Is that J4 for fuse? I get it's under playfield.
InkedPinside_forum_7569422_0 (resized).jpgInkedPinside_forum_7569422_0 (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#25 6 months ago

Hi, I'm asking again...please..
I'm trying to make sure I get the wiring done correctly.

That schematic for some reason makes me doubt myself. Does not compute for me. Don't know why...
So all I need to know at this point is where the two wires coming off the jump ball magnet go to under the playfield.

I just need a pic or maybe you can hep identify in an earlier pic in the thread.

I just re-stripped and re-soldered the violet / brown wire on the one side (right) of the fuse holder that was held on by 1 strand of the braided wire.

Thanks in advance if you can verify this for me.

#26 6 months ago

Does your knocker work? Normally Data East and Sega games have the knocker in the bottom of the cabinet. Sometimes on games, the knocker assembly was removed because some hate the noise.

#27 6 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Does your knocker work? Normally Data East and Sega games have the knocker in the bottom of the cabinet. Sometimes on games, the knocker assembly was removed because some hate the noise.

It is a "digital" knocker, not a coil based one.
And yes, it works.

Just making sure I get the two wires from the jump ball magnet soldered back to the right places under the playfield.

#28 6 months ago

Update: So I got my head together and I think I did this correectly.

I drew the black wire in the pic below that goes to one side of the jump ball magnet. It's highlighted by my blue arrow. It's soldered to the same
point as the BRN/VIOLET wire is.

The magnet's other black wire is visible in the pic to the other side of the fuse holder...

Did I get this right?

sjmagnetwires (resized).jpgsjmagnetwires (resized).jpg
#29 6 months ago

So I got the Jump Ball Magnet working based on my last post.

It does energize in coil test but what isn't working anymore is the Jump Ball Right Kicker and the Jump Ball Top Kicker....all the other coils fire in test.

Update:

Oops..forgot to plug the connector back in that was in the way of my soldering. All good!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/space-jam-mystery-wire and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.