IMG_2817 2 (resized).JPG
IMG_2811 (resized).JPG
IMG_2809 (resized).JPG
IMG_2810 (resized).JPG
IMG_2808 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 6,729 posts in this topic. You are on page 134 of 135.
#6651 39 days ago
Quoted from Mando:

Yeah I have watched like 10 discharge videos
Good news is I have a Wells Gardner ! Had to break in didn’t have keys to backbox .
I will say it looks brand new back there but doesn’t mean it doesn’t need new caps !
Where did you buy your cap kit?

Arcade Parts & Repair dot com. Example:

https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/store/components/capacitors/wells-gardner-k7000-series-cap-kit-105c/

#6653 39 days ago
Quoted from Mando:

If you leave the monitor off for a day, the discharge will be totally uneventful.

#6654 39 days ago
Quoted from Mando:

Good news is I have a Wells Gardner ! Had to break in didn’t have keys to backbox .
I will say it looks brand new back there but doesn’t mean it doesn’t need new caps !
Where did you buy your cap kit?

here, Arcade Parts and Repair.
https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/

#6655 39 days ago

Ok cool yeah I’ll definitely be very careful , frankly the monitor seems pretty solid but can’t hurt I guess .

#6656 39 days ago
Quoted from Mando:

Ok cool yeah I’ll definitely be very careful , frankly the monitor seems pretty solid but can’t hurt I guess .

It's something you (most of th time) can't see, so, it might seem alright and nice, but once you replace the caps, you can really see a difference.
Good luck and be carefull to install them on the right side, otherwise you'll have to start all over.....

#6657 38 days ago

Yes I will take my time and do it right . I have pretty good tools for the job at least .

Are they all on that neck board ?

30+ it seems sheesh

#6658 38 days ago
Quoted from Mando:

Yes I will take my time and do it right . I have pretty good tools for the job at least .
Are they all on that neck board ?
30+ it seems sheesh

Most of them are on the chassis board...only a couple on the neck board if I recall. You'll see!

#6659 38 days ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

If it's the original WG monitor (K7203), here's the exact kit:

If it's the original WG monitor this wil be the type:
http://www.pinball2000.de/techinfo.htm#Monitor = Wells Gardener (19K7302)

I've ordered this kit from them after contacting them with the above type number:
https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/store/components/capacitors/wells-gardner-k7300-series-monitor-cap-kit/

Hope this helps

#6660 38 days ago
Quoted from Rene368:

If it's the original WG monitor this wil be the type:
http://www.pinball2000.de/techinfo.htm#Monitor = Wells Gardener (19K7302)
I've ordered this kit from them after contacting them with the above type number:
https://www.arcadepartsandrepair.com/store/components/capacitors/wells-gardner-k7300-series-monitor-cap-kit/
Hope this helps

I did a quick search and probably propagated some dyslexia. Sorry if I screwed anyone up!
Ah, I know what it was. There was a guy in this thread that actually had a K7203 in his RFM (which was not original).

#6661 38 days ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I did a quick search and probably propagated some dyslexia. Sorry if I screwed anyone up!
Ah, I know what it was. There was a guy in this thread that actually had a K7203 in his RFM (which was not original).

I think that guy is me?
I have a Ducksan frame but not a Ducksan monitor in it, I had ordered the Ducksan monitor kit from Arcade repairs but finally had to buy many caps separately because I was missing the right caps in my kit.
Most are on the chassis board but a few on the neck board.
The bigger ones are on the neck board.

#6662 34 days ago

I will still recap the monitor at some
Point but this ultimarc video amp makes a huge difference.

IMG_5062 (resized).jpegIMG_5062 (resized).jpegIMG_5064 (resized).jpegIMG_5064 (resized).jpegIMG_5067 (resized).jpegIMG_5067 (resized).jpeg
#6663 34 days ago
Quoted from Mando:

I see some light bleed around the edge of the tube. You can put some weatherstripping around the backside to block any light from coming through. Sometimes you get some stray light reflected from the marquee light. If you take the back panel off you can set a light back there to induce the problem while you're putting the weatherstripping on.

#6664 34 days ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

I see some light bleed around the edge of the tube. You can put some weatherstripping around the backside to block any light from coming through. Sometimes you get some stray light reflected from the marquee light. If you take the back panel off you can set a light back there to induce the problem while you're putting the weatherstripping on.

Yeah I am gonna do just that ! Noticed it too .

Also , what is this fell out while playing

IMG_5068 (resized).jpegIMG_5068 (resized).jpeg
#6665 33 days ago
Quoted from Mando:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Was it easy to install?
What type of monitor do you have ?

#6666 33 days ago
Quoted from Mando:

Yeah I am gonna do just that ! Noticed it too .
Also , what is this fell out while playing [quoted image]

I think those were used only during shipping, not positive though.

#6667 33 days ago
Quoted from jchristian11:

I think those were used only during shipping, not positive though.

Haha ok … wonder where it went ? This game is supposedly HUO so wouldn’t not surprise me Z

#6668 33 days ago
Quoted from GILV:

Was it easy to install?
What type of monitor do you have ?

I got lucky have a Wells and the 5V on the vga card . Was super easy , you just need to make a 10 pin connector .

IMG_5044 (resized).jpegIMG_5044 (resized).jpegIMG_5061 (resized).jpegIMG_5061 (resized).jpeg
#6669 31 days ago

So I got the serial adapter and code from applejuice , I was able connect and download statistics figured I am good to go. Run code update, went surprisingly fast said it was done. Game reboots and I went all the way back to .8! I wonder if the update file I have is just corrupt or something, it was 2 meg, I dont see a way to get any of the older versions to try either.

Ideas

unnamed (resized).pngunnamed (resized).png
#6670 31 days ago

Would anyone happen to have a copy of a 2.5 or earlier file that worked for you? I suspect my download of the file is getting corrupted .

#6671 31 days ago
Quoted from Mando:

So I got the serial adapter and code from applejuice , I was able connect and download statistics figured I am good to go. Run code update, went surprisingly fast said it was done. Game reboots and I went all the way back to .8! I wonder if the update file I have is just corrupt or something, it was 2 meg, I dont see a way to get any of the older versions to try either.
Ideas

This has happened to me the last couple times I updated. Just try again. Seems to always work on the second attempt for me.

#6672 31 days ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

This has happened to me the last couple times I updated. Just try again. Seems to always work on the second attempt for me.

Ok I will keep trying, I tried like 3 times I do want to try a second file for sanity check.

#6673 31 days ago
Quoted from Mando:

Ok I will keep trying, I tried like 3 times I do want to try a second file for sanity check.

every packet is checksum checked during the update process. Watch the update on screen for the full thing and see if it gets to the end or stops earlier. Should take 10 minutes or so on 115200 baud

Any problem is most likely the connections internally on your computer or the internal serial lead

#6674 31 days ago

Bingo ! So I am in business . Unfortunately I was unable to use applejuice app. I scraped out an old Windows 2000 PC I had and used the original update app with an old PCMCIA -> Serial adapter .
Getting the file ok there was a struggle as this thing is so out of date I could not get on the internet , or plug in a USB drive ! But I managed to run an FTP server on another laptop and get it there .

No matter what I tried no love with the Mac app .. it connected fine , could read audits but update took about 2 second and them just rebooted no errors . Back to .8

I wonder if anyone else has done this on Mac OSX Sonoma on a M1 Mac ?

I tried multiple baud settings , direct connect etc . I had to load a special driver and give it special
Permission to even show up . There was truly nothing left to try .

I am pretty technically savvy so I’d be surprised if this works for others on this setup .

At any rate not bashing just providing feedback as others may face the same .

All is well that ends well I guess but the app and cables were not needed . That said happy to suppport the updates .

IMG_5084 (resized).jpegIMG_5084 (resized).jpeg
#6675 30 days ago
Quoted from Mando:

Bingo ! So I am in business . Unfortunately I was unable to use applejuice app. I scraped out an old Windows 2000 PC I had and used the original update app with an old PCMCIA -> Serial adapter .
Getting the file ok there was a struggle as this thing is so out of date I could not get on the internet , or plug in a USB drive ! But I managed to run an FTP server on another laptop and get it there .
No matter what I tried no love with the Mac app .. it connected fine , could read audits but update took about 2 second and them just rebooted no errors . Back to .8
I tried multiple baud settings , direct connect etc . I had to load a special driver and give it special
Permission to even show up . There was truly nothing left to try .
I am pretty technically savvy so I’d be surprised if this works for others on this setup .
At any rate not bashing just providing feedback as others may face the same .
All is well that ends well I guess but the app and cables were not needed . That said happy to suppport the updates . [quoted image]

What was your original games update version. Was it v1.2? or v1.1? I sure you mentioned something like this which is a very early one. Did you try updating to v1.5 before updating to v2.5 in this case on both setups?? Sometimes i need more information like the 'reboots after 2 seconds' before i can suggest other ideas. Please don't jump to quick conclusions about the software, I spent along time writing this and its been well tested with hundreds of people.

#6676 30 days ago
Quoted from applejuice:

What was your original games update version. Was it v1.2? or v1.1? I sure you mentioned something like this which is a very early one. Did you try updating to v1.5 before updating to v2.5 in this case on both setups?? Sometimes i need more information like the 'reboots after 2 seconds' before i can suggest other ideas. Please don't jump to quick conclusions about the software, I spent along time writing this and its been well tested with hundreds of people.

It was originally on 1.1 , and yes I tried 1.5 first on the new software. If there is anything I can do to get you a log or something happy to help . I am not in any way bashing your software , it’s impressive that you not only wrote it but for all 3 major OS.. even Linux .

That said I am confident out of the box on the latest Sonoma Mac OSX with an M1 chip it’s definitely not plug and play . So I am curious if anyone else has used this particular combo .

The one thing I did not try is to use your app after it was able to successfully get it 1.5 but at that point having something that worked and given the age of these pin2ks decided to just stick with that .

I do have a video of the boot process after the failed update , but I did not capture the initial
Update bar . Basically I saw the progress bar flash for a second or two, then it reboots . Almost like it got the update command , removed the old update and then then new one never made it so rebooted with old code .. boot process then seems fine .

At any rate we can continue to chat over email I am not trying to bash your product . You cannot test every possible combination . It could also be the USB to serial , but I did use yours .

I just wanted to share my success of getting it updated and also hopefully help anyone else and/or see if we can find someone that has the same combo as me and if worked .

IMG_5086 (resized).pngIMG_5086 (resized).png
#6677 30 days ago
Quoted from Mando:

[quoted image]

I've had success with 2021 MacBook M1 Pro running Sonoma

#6678 30 days ago
Quoted from insight75:

I've had success with 2021 MacBook M1 Pro running Sonoma

Interesting.. curious what cables you used and if you had to do anything special ie use certain driver etc .

Guess it doesn’t matter at this point but would be good to know for future or anyone else .

Also how long ago you did it , what version his updater was on in case something changed .

#6679 30 days ago

The troubleshooter in me wants to figure it out .

The reasonable me(which holds less sway) says you are at 2.5 don’t touch it

#6680 30 days ago

I had issues getting mine to update.

The simple solution ended up being I had to right click "Run As Administrator " for it to work.

#6681 30 days ago
Quoted from Mando:

The troubleshooter in me wants to figure it out .
The reasonable me(which holds less sway) says you are at 2.5 don’t touch it

I really dont understand why you could connect but not update unless there was some pinball 2000 specific issue with updating from earlier version than 1.5. the update process is the same on the update programs because the system itself will only allow 1 way to do it and it has to checksum verify each packet as i mentioned.

I use apple macs myself hence the desire to offer mac support in the first place. I have an apple M2 macbook but that is on Montery currently. I'm gonna try it on my daughters laptop which is on Sonama so i can see what happens myself.

I really am not sure what else i can do, I also feel like i gonna have to write some sort of big disclaimer to stop complaints about being charged for items that take time to get working or don't work straight off automatically when we are trying to upgrade old vintage games here... , as i really don't enjoy emails asking for refunds and money off/credits after all the effort i put into these updates.

And also 99% of people when they do work perfectly first time never say a thing, i only see messages or posts when things dont work...

#6682 29 days ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I really dont understand why you could connect but not update unless there was some pinball 2000 specific issue with updating from earlier version than 1.5. the update process is the same on the update programs because the system itself will only allow 1 way to do it and it has to checksum verify each packet as i mentioned.
I use apple macs myself hence the desire to offer mac support in the first place. I have an apple M2 macbook but that is on Montery currently. I'm gonna try it on my daughters laptop which is on Sonama so i can see what happens myself.
I really am not sure what else i can do, I also feel like i gonna have to write some sort of big disclaimer to stop complaints about being charged for items that take time to get working or don't work straight off automatically when we are trying to upgrade old vintage games here... , as i really don't enjoy emails asking for refunds and money off/credits after all the effort i put into these updates.
And also 99% of people when they do work perfectly first time never say a thing, i only see messages or posts when things dont work...

Well, I for one totally appreciate, and am amazed, at what you’ve done for this game and the effort you’ve put into this. Your vast knowledge is remarkable.
I also say this as someone who couldn’t be more opposite than you and is too chickenshit to try this on my own game. I really want to. I just have no clue what a prism card is, what kind of monitor I have, what cord goes where, wait, I need a laptop? And, what do I do when it doesn’t go as planned?
I live your version of this game vicariously through all of the other smart and brave people in this thread.
I’ve been married 25 years and my wife has set up every computer and performed every update/upgrade we’ve ever needed. Unfortunately pinball is not her thing so unless it can be done in fifteen minutes, I can’t really task her with it.
Again, awesome dedication. One of these days I’ll really try to learn how to do this on my game.

Hopefully I don’t end up with a large paperweight.

#6683 29 days ago

You won’t end up with a paper weight .. there are several various ways to get this thing updated . His app should be the easiest way , in my case it wasn’t for whatever reason .

Also I never asked for a refund , I did spend about $100 US on various cables that can be found on Amazon for way less , and software that unfortunately for me did not work . Since he makes other stuff I asked if perhaps I could get a slight discount on another mod and/or try the windows version of the app . Felt the need to defend that since it was called out on here for whatever reason .

As I stated many times I appreciate the work on the new code , and the app . My intent was to try and get to the bottom of it .

I digress .

#6684 29 days ago
Quoted from G35R6:

Well, I for one totally appreciate, and am amazed, at what you’ve done for this game and the effort you’ve put into this. Your vast knowledge is remarkable.
I also say this as someone who couldn’t be more opposite than you and is too chickenshit to try this on my own game. I really want to. I just have no clue what a prism card is, what kind of monitor I have, what cord goes where, wait, I need a laptop? And, what do I do when it doesn’t go as planned?
I live your version of this game vicariously through all of the other smart and brave people in this thread.
I’ve been married 25 years and my wife has set up every computer and performed every update/upgrade we’ve ever needed. Unfortunately pinball is not her thing so unless it can be done in fifteen minutes, I can’t really task her with it.
Again, awesome dedication. One of these days I’ll really try to learn how to do this on my game.
Hopefully I don’t end up with a large paperweight.

I wouldn’t worry about it, 99% of people just update fine and never say a thing! It was already confirmed by another user that sonoma works fine..

Going back to talking about updates and new hardware products.

- V2.60 will include fixes for the requested secret weapon lamp progress changes

#6685 29 days ago

Yes definitely don’t let my experience dissuade you , and at the end of the day my game is fine too and up to the latest and greatest . It was never Bricked granted bring stuck on .8 might not be fun

I’d much rather use the new app than a 15 year old laptop running windows 2000, suppose I can try it again when 2.6 comes . Or try windows

#6686 29 days ago

Windows is the future. It just works. *cept when it doesn't.

#6687 28 days ago

Was in amazing shape when I got it but needed a little shop job .. looks amazing !

IMG_5111 (resized).jpegIMG_5111 (resized).jpeg
#6688 27 days ago

Hello. Would love to join your RFM club.

Picked mine up last year in basically mint condition with the exception of the missing right plastic UFO saucer.

I feel it’s a perfect opportunity to upgrade both of them to the spinning chrome saucers mod but am finding limited info online about where to find them or if they’re still made. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
IMG_3719 (resized).jpegIMG_3719 (resized).jpegIMG_3720 (resized).jpegIMG_3720 (resized).jpeg

#6689 27 days ago

The spinning saucers were offered by Pindecals but he haven't had them in stock for long time.
https://www.pinballdecals.com/RFM_RotatingSaucerPage.html

There were a few pinheads that did their own versions.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15KTvfMyrrocIQlTCzodlsjBkkz90yzhu/view?usp=drive_link
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afm-rfm-spinning-ufos
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-afm-spinning-saucers

2 choices for lighting the saucers with LEDS.
https://www.ufopinball.com/
https://mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp

I could not find a vendor for replacing the flat grey saucer plastic (even Planetary Pinball). Only the chrome ones are available at PinballLife.
https://www.pinballlife.com/revenge-from-mars-chrome-flying-saucer.html

Hope this helps.

#6690 27 days ago

I made these:

Here's a little more info of how I made them:

https://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?t=27610

#6691 27 days ago
Quoted from hAbO:

I could not find a vendor for replacing the flat grey saucer plastic (even Planetary Pinball). Only the chrome ones are available at PinballLife.
https://www.pinballlife.com/revenge-from-mars-chrome-flying-saucer.html

The flat greys were available at one point; but, I think most have converted their game to Chrome.
https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/revenge-from-mars/4242/saucer-small-for-revenge-from-mars
has them.

I could order some in my next order; but, given PBL now sells the chrome version - I don't see restocking the ones I currently sell:
https://pinball-mods.com/oscom/small-saucer-p-78.html

#6692 26 days ago

All very nice mods!

Is there a guide out there anywhere about building your own "Nu-Core" box? My orginal is fine, but I would love to have a backup if ever needed.

#6693 24 days ago

As promised, Just spent some time today using macosx sonama and running my update software to update my original computer test box. I have updated and downgraded various times both with rfm and swep1 prisms. ZERO issues.

Also, i even bricked the update on purpose by pulling the usb lead out half way through!!! Then checking i could reupdate directly from the original rom version. Worked perfectly.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.21.09 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.21.09 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.35.03 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.35.03 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-04-04 at 10.36.47 (resized).pngIMG_2808 (resized).JPGIMG_2808 (resized).JPGIMG_2809 (resized).JPGIMG_2809 (resized).JPGIMG_2810 (resized).JPGIMG_2810 (resized).JPGIMG_2811 (resized).JPGIMG_2811 (resized).JPGIMG_2817 2 (resized).JPGIMG_2817 2 (resized).JPG

Screenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-04-04 at 14.04.07 (resized).png

#6694 24 days ago

In other news, testing updates for the upcoming v2.6 and the physical hardware locking. 2 new optos added to make the ball lock a 3 ball device.

IMG_2813 (resized).JPGIMG_2813 (resized).JPG

IMG_2814 (resized).JPGIMG_2814 (resized).JPGIMG_2815 (resized).JPGIMG_2815 (resized).JPG

#6695 23 days ago

Can’t wait!!

#6696 21 days ago

RFM owners, I am putting my RFM playfield together(as it was given to me nearly stripped clean with all plastics and parts thrown in a box. I am missing the right popper light assembly and was wondering what the part # is I need to order. I think I have the correct item identified from the PDF. Picture shows what I have in hand...

rfm right popper flasher (resized).jpgrfm right popper flasher (resized).jpgrfm right popper flasher1 (resized).pngrfm right popper flasher1 (resized).pngrfm right popper flasher2 (resized).pngrfm right popper flasher2 (resized).png
#6697 21 days ago

If you're looking for the base that the flasher sits in, in that plastic, I believe these are for the saucers as well, but I think it's these things...
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8172-13
I can look on my RFM on Monday to verify...

#6698 21 days ago

I don't think that part is correct. I think it's a standard lamp base; rivetted to the plastic.

I have those lamp bases in just about any translucent color:
https://pinball-mods.com/oscom/lamp-socket-p-77.html

If you are rebuilding; I'd do it in either clear or red.

A-14265-13flash[1] (resized).JPGA-14265-13flash[1] (resized).JPG

#6699 21 days ago

Yeah now that I look at it, I think the ones from Zitt, or ones like that are what fit in there, as they're riveted in there, which is also something that's not exactly easy to do without a ramp riveter...
Yeah My plastic is cracked, but that looks like what has to happen...
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#6700 21 days ago

Thank you both for the quick reply to this! Appreciate it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, PA
$ 85.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,729 posts in this topic. You are on page 134 of 135.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rfm-hillary-come-here-you-gotta-see-this/page/134 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.