(Topic ID: 286786)

Precious Metals? Gold, Silver, Prospecting and Collecting.

By phil-lee

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 668 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1896 (resized).jpeg
_20240424_124519 (resized).JPG
IMG_1888 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1860 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
F5107C5A-5953-4106-BD37-FD65485BE74E (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
_20240404_112124 (resized).JPG
_20240404_111942 (resized).JPG
image_67226625 (resized).JPG
IMG_6312 conv (resized).jpeg
IMG_6311 conv (resized).jpeg
Copper map (resized).jpg
gold_20_year_o_jpy_x (resized).png
_20231028_130347 (resized).JPG
_20231028_130309 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 668 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.
#601 71 days ago

Never spoke to anyone who actually profited from gold mining stocks.
If you are the exception congrats.
Perhaps they need a second look.
I know there are a lot of influencers pushing them.

#602 71 days ago

Well, I just bought NEM the other day at $32. 5% dividend. Let’s see how that works out.
First time buying a mining stock.

#603 71 days ago

The AEM fourth quarter and full year were very good. Listened to the conference call on Friday. Also the three year guidance is solid. AEM is the lowest cost senior producer and has by far the best political risk profile. I think that the price of gold will move higher once the rate cycle has officially topped. Mid year?

#604 71 days ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Quick tip for the weekend;
Stay away from Mining Stocks. All of them.

The problem with mining stocks is while resilient value of the metals themselves is guaranteed, operation and expansion of mines is not. Energy costs, supply and demand, and other factors cause mining of these metals to wax and wane pretty heavily.

#605 71 days ago
Quoted from Crash:

The problem with mining stocks is while resilient value of the metals themselves is guaranteed, operation and expansion of mines is not. Energy costs, supply and demand, and other factors cause mining of these metals to wax and wane pretty heavily.

Crash, your statement is both true and profound.

1 week later
#606 61 days ago

It is incredible how much gold you can accumulate over a short period of time.
A gram, 1/10. What you can afford that Month that doesn't hurt the bills.
Like many, the most frequent purchases started during the dark days of covid.

Forget people saying the premiums are too high on small gold.
Its affordable and very liquid if you need to use it.

#607 61 days ago

Still looking for someone who wants to trade pins for gold. Heck, I’ll even consider a Munsters or a Mando!

#608 59 days ago

I found this headline very interesting (and I'm sure Agnico Eagle does too):

Newmont reports solid fourth-quarter profit estimates, plans to divest mines in Canada, Australia

https://www.kitco.com/news/article/2024-02-22/newmont-reports-solid-fourth-quarter-profit-estimates-plans-divest-mines

#609 59 days ago

Thanks ManyQ for the report.
I couldn't tell if it was good news or bad, seems the profit increase came from a higher spot price and selling other holdings.

#610 58 days ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Still looking for someone who wants to trade pins for gold. Heck, I’ll even consider a Munsters or a Mando!

How about a Venom or a Foo? 3oz Au. American Gold Eagles.

1 week later
#611 51 days ago

Gold kissed 2205 this morning.
The usual talking heads tried to label it a "False rise" and said it was "Overbought"
Doublespeak can't change the fact people are turning to gold to allay fears of inflation and War.
Several of the Billionaires who recently sold large volumes of stock have admitted much of the cash went into gold.
In their newly built fallout shelters seems they prefer a safe full of yellow metal.

Of course the influencers are screaming "Silver Silver Silver"
People don't want silver. They have grown tired of JP Morgan manipulating price.
Silver is becoming (already?) an Industrial metal.
Dealers like silver cause it is their cash cow. They are angry the Consumer has wised and woke up
to their high premiums and manipulation.
Silver, like Bitcoin leeches onto gold for credibility. No longer working.
Neither are in the same category.
Gold is unique.
They will try and beat it down like always.
This week those attempts failed.

#612 51 days ago

No kidding, the Goldback went up from $4.63 to $4.72 in 2 days. Whether you like it or not, it's sound money.

#613 51 days ago

Do you live in one of the Goldback friendly States?
I understand some States have passed laws to accept gold as money for payment for State and local bills

#614 51 days ago

No, I wish.

2 weeks later
#615 32 days ago

Gold is showing a surprising resiliency lately (translation, it keeps recovering and going higher).
There has been a marked increase from Influencers pushing silver. Silvers performance is lagging severely.
This trend higher for gold will be watched closely during the Holiday weekend primarily in the foreign exchanges.

If gold serves as a canary in the coal mine the bird is singing. Loud.

#616 32 days ago

Just found this topic! Long time gold and silver stacker here. I also collect Morgan dollars. My dad got me into precious metals at a young age and my mom and her sister along with my grandmother were into coins. I try to buy silver more than gold just due to silver being much lower than it should be and it's cheap to grab. I actually just picked up a few 1/10th oz gold eagles for $225 each. Thought I did pretty good. Seems these 1/10th oz gold eagles pop up for a decent price from time to time while the premium is higher on them, they are more affordable when buying gold and easy to sell when you need to as most don't have the dollars to buy an oz.

IMG_6311 conv (resized).jpegIMG_6311 conv (resized).jpegIMG_6312 conv (resized).jpegIMG_6312 conv (resized).jpeg
#617 32 days ago

Oh yeah. When you sell 1/10 Eagles you should get a premium from the Buyer, right now
4 to 6 %. Hot coins to hold, in demand and very liquid.

#618 32 days ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Oh yeah. When you sell 1/10 Eagles you should get a premium from the Buyer, right now
4 to 6 %. Hot coins to hold, in demand and very liquid.

Agree 100%. I'd love to collect more gold but it keeps getting in the way of pinball money!

Where do you see silver in the future? I hear so many different numbers. Some say $60 an oz by the end of the year others say in time it could go over $150 an oz.

#619 32 days ago

I see silver seriously controlled through shorts and timed purchases.
It won't change until the lid comes off the economy, its too needed by Industry.
Best case in 2024? 31.80
If wrong will be the first to admit it.
To be honest lost all favor with silver, only order gold.

#620 32 days ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

I see silver seriously controlled through shorts and timed purchases.
It won't change until the lid comes off the economy, its too needed by Industry.
Best case in 2024? 31.80
If wrong will be the first to admit it.
To be honest lost all favor with silver, only order gold.

I kinda feel the same way. I hear them keep saying they are mining it out but I'm in no rush to sell. I usually buy as close to spot as I can either way. Too tempting to trade a pin for gold that's for sure!

#621 31 days ago

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy collecting silver, just no longer stacking for weight. My favorites are Libertads and Peace dollars.
Also like the Germanium 1oz silver bars.
Still have quite a bit of 90 Percent US, Franklin's ,Walking Liberty halves and Mercury dimes.
Keep tubes of American Eagles, Maple Leafs and Krugerrands for "Spending"

#622 31 days ago

Two crowds in silver, buy and hold and hope it goes up so they can sell.
Collectors are a different breed.
I'm a former collector now buying bullion. Still can't stop thinking "This may go up, its undervalued"

Again, really surprised with the movement in Gold. It and silver have been beaten down so many times
Just naturally assume it will drop when Market opens.
Amazing they let it close this high before a long Holiday weekend.

#623 31 days ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Two crowds in silver, buy and hold and hope it goes up so they can sell.
Collectors are a different breed.
I'm a former collector now buying bullion. Still can't stop thinking "This may go up, its undervalued"
Again, really surprised with the movement in Gold. It and silver have been beaten down so many times
Just naturally assume it will drop when Market opens.
Amazing they let it close this high before a long Holiday weekend.

Don't remind me I kept saying I should buy some gold when it was sitting at 1,800 an oz! lol

#624 31 days ago

Gold is hard to wrap your mind around to purchase. You get so little for a wad of cash.
Smallest legitimate coin you can feel the heft of gold is 1/4 oz and its 620 bucks.

#625 27 days ago

Monday April Fools Day 2024.
Gold stayed high over the long weekend and enjoyed a new record high today.
Silver has not responded in the traditional way. We may be facing a new paradigm.

The Market can't get enough gold.
2300 an ounce? Looking possible soon.
It would not surprise me to see a dramatic price drop either.
"They" do not like gold as it keeps investment equity buried as in non-liquid.

#626 25 days ago

A few "Spending coins" from the change purse.
1.25 and 1.50 Gram gold coins.
Plus a 3.1 Eagle and Elephant.
Threw in a "Swiss Miss" 5.62 for perspective. These are small coins!

image_67226625 (resized).JPGimage_67226625 (resized).JPG
#627 25 days ago

Sold Gold yesterday. Hoping I hit near peak.

#628 25 days ago

Never feel bad about taking profit!

#629 25 days ago

Silver is up to 27.00 an ounce today

#630 25 days ago

Something tells me I have been wrong about silver.

#631 24 days ago
Quoted from pincoin:

Silver is up to 27.00 an ounce today

Scratch that, $27.30. I don't believe we have seen this price since the start of 2021. Wow. And yet we're supposed to believe the US Dollar Index is still up to 104? With oil up to $90 a barrel and insane food prices? And gold hitting $2300 this morning? Something doesn't pass the sniff test.
_20240404_111942 (resized).JPG_20240404_111942 (resized).JPG

And, for the first time, the Goldback now exceeds the value of a $5 bill. A year ago it was $3.75. Cash is king, the dollar is trash, the future is gold.
_20240404_112124 (resized).JPG_20240404_112124 (resized).JPG

#632 24 days ago

Gold is the canary in the coal mine for the economy.
Not really good when it goes up too quickly ,not even for bullion holders.
Rapid price increases are a warning something isn't right.
Not celebrating these high prices, kind of troubling.

Silver, however, whoo! Let it rise to its true value. Have been down of silver
because it was always beat down and expected it to continue forever.

#633 19 days ago

On our way to $2400 gold and $29 silver...

#634 19 days ago
Quoted from Crash:

On our way to $2400 gold and $29 silver...

Yes we are! Going up every day

#635 19 days ago

Placed a small order today for a Gram gold Noahs Ark coin.
Threw in 3 oz of silver, 1oz Germanium bar, a Libertad and a silver eagle.
Keep expecting the price to rise where its the last order till a downturn.
The Noahs Ark is 24K and despite only 1 gram is 15.6 mm, huge.
Minted by Geiger in a tamper proof plastic case like their bars.

Costco reported 200 million in gold sales a Month, not sure I buy it, thats a huge amount of bullion.
If true it signals Joe six-pack is going all in for the gold.

#636 18 days ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Costco reported 200 million in gold sales a Month

Costco.

Weird place to buy physical gold if you ask me but it looks like their premium is only 2%. Just looked at the premium at JM Bullion and it averages about 3%.

JM will buy back. Doubt Costco offers that. Also, it looks like 3-5 days shipping with Costco.

When I order JM? I have it in my hand the next day. How they manage to pull that off still blows me away.

Anyway...........2% premium at Costco is worth looking into if you were wanting to buy gold right now.

#637 16 days ago

29.50 silver 2403 Gold!!!

#638 16 days ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

How about a Venom or a Foo? 3oz Au. American Gold Eagles.

Given the current value of gold, this offer is only good for Premium/LE models now!

#639 16 days ago
Quoted from Hammer1021:

29.50 silver 2403 Gold!!!

Called it...
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#640 15 days ago

That was a good one Crash!

Who knows what will happen next week. We are in the Wild West.
Hope we are all safe, and Blessed.
Protected, comforted, given wisdom through truth.

We will get back to gold soon enough.

#641 13 days ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

We are in the Wild West.

Literally. Gold was a universal currency in the 1800s. Especially once everyone started loading up their families on wagons for the months long trip to California to strike it rich. Ever thought about where that state got all its wealth?

#642 12 days ago

Gold rises after the US Market closes.
Gold is beat down in the morning hours.
Gold rises back to its high.
Rinse and repeat. Traders are trying to make money any way they can with the Stocks down.

Silver is still being manipulated to hell through futures/short contracts.

#643 12 days ago
Quoted from Crash:

Literally. Gold was a universal currency in the 1800s. Especially once everyone started loading up their families on wagons for the months long trip to California to strike it rich. Ever thought about where that state got all its wealth?

Before the Federal Reserve and its "Notes"
North Carolina had a huge gold rush before everyone packed up for California. Unfortunately that wealth didn't stick like California.
Still a lot of deposits around here if you know where to look.

#644 10 days ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Gold rises after the US Market closes.
Gold is beat down in the morning hours.
Gold rises back to its high.
Rinse and repeat. Traders are trying to make money any way they can with the Stocks down.

Silver is still being manipulated to hell through futures/short contracts.

How come I'm not surprised!

About as surprising as lead, zinc and copper prices outperforming the greenwashed metals!

#645 10 days ago

Purchased my first Kilo, kinda neat.

F5107C5A-5953-4106-BD37-FD65485BE74E (resized).jpegF5107C5A-5953-4106-BD37-FD65485BE74E (resized).jpeg
#646 10 days ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Purchased my first Kilo, kinda neat.
[quoted image]

Feels good in the hand!

Quoted from ManyQuarters:

How come I'm not surprised!
About as surprising as lead, zinc and copper prices outperforming the greenwashed metals!

Nuclear Industry and Recycling Greenwashing is particularly irritating.

#647 10 days ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Feels good in the hand!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#648 8 days ago

Check out this article discussing copper

https://www.fxempire.com/forecasts/article/missed-out-on-the-gold-rally-heres-another-commodity-on-the-verge-of-a-major-boom-1424971

Gonna hold off on scrapping out a 2000 lb. pile I’ve been accumulating and see how high this market may go

#649 8 days ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

Check out this article discussing copper
https://www.fxempire.com/forecasts/article/missed-out-on-the-gold-rally-heres-another-commodity-on-the-verge-of-a-major-boom-1424971
Gonna hold off on scrapping out a 2000 lb. pile I’ve been accumulating and see how high this market may go

Curious, would you accept pure copper 2oz rounds as payment for say 100 dollar item?

Reason I ask, Bullion Dealers carry 1 and 2oz Copper rounds. Also Kilo bars.
With silver and gold so high they seem like an affordable stack if people would take them in trade or barter.
I am a scrapper so realize salvage copper is much cheaper per pound.

By the way, nice stack, 2000 lbs is killer!

#650 8 days ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Curious, would you accept pure copper 2oz rounds as payment for say 100 dollar item?
Reason I ask, Bullion Dealers carry 1 and 2oz Copper rounds. Also Kilo bars.
With silver and gold so high they seem like an affordable stack if people would take them in trade or barter.
I am a scrapper so realize salvage copper is much cheaper per pound.
By the way, nice stack, 2000 lbs is killer!

I’d accept three 100oz bars for a $100 item. Copper is valued at 0.28¢ per ounce. Minted copper coins carry a premium because of their collectibility and divisibility, but the intrinsic metallic value per ounce is way too low to justify paying that much over spot. Especially given the value in silver bullion.

There are 668 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/precious-metals-gold-silver-and-everything-else/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.