Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240108_003735_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240108_004143_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240108_004058_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240108_004044_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#1 4 months ago

Hello,

I know this is may be a stupid question, but I figure there are a lot of very creative people out here that may have an answer or suggestion to this.

Is there an easy way to replace the pop bumper body and skirt without having to unsolder the light bulb leads under the playfield? Of better yet, has anyone come up with a way to replace the pop bumper body and skirt where the light bulb leads are not soldered, so they can be easily removed if needed?

Thank you.

#2 4 months ago

Not that I know of.

#3 4 months ago

No. Bite the bullet and do it. Take the nuts off the yolk and remove the entire bracket off the underside of the PF. Gives you more room to unsolder/solder those leads back. Also a chance to clean up that carboned up mess of dust. Clean the switches, spoon and replace the coil sleeve while you are in there. Is this an EM machine?

#4 4 months ago

You could use small flag connectors to attach to the pop leads to make them removable in the future, but pops skirts are usually a one and done thing in home usage. You could probably cobble up something else like feed the lamp lead into a euro style terminal strip etc. but you start to get diminishing returns on time investing in a hack vs. just soldering it.

I like to insulate both leads from it not just the one that passes under the bracket for neatness.

Pinball life has a socket that sits better in the pop body as well, the original 44 style sockets kind of suck.

#5 4 months ago

Sadly no ... do it once and do it correctly, short cuts always cause problems!

Understand it's a pain in the butt to replace a $1.50 skirt

#6 4 months ago

Nope. Even if you switch to a stern 555 wire lead socket, you still can't put a connector or terminal ring on the wire since it won't slip through the holes in the pop bumper body.

There's not really a way to avoid soldering and still secure the wire.

#7 4 months ago

Maybe use those wago connectors with the little lever ...

#8 4 months ago

If it came between a dentist visit or 10 pop bumper rebuilds will take the dentist.

#9 4 months ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

If it came between a dentist visit or 10 pop bumper rebuilds will take the dentist.

If the Dentist visit is only a cleaning.

#10 4 months ago

I don't mind soldering in general, but I really dislike those flat lamp legs, stapling them to the playfield with zero clearance around, those fiddly plastic insulation tubes and so on, meh!

To get away from all that crap I've started using these lamp holders with normal cables instead. The nice part is the plastic base that automatically centers it inside the bumper body so no more lamps at an angle inside.

Screenshot_20240108_004044_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240108_004044_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240108_004058_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240108_004058_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg

Then I use Wago connectors under the playfield and simply put the cable ends inside and press the locking arm down and everything is isolated and secure.

Screenshot_20240108_004143_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240108_004143_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240108_003735_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240108_003735_Gallery (resized).jpg

Everything is neat and tidy, insulated, and If I ever want to replace a pop body or skirt again it will be a five minute job.

#11 4 months ago
Quoted from chad:

If the Dentist visit is only a cleaning.

I don't know I think root canals are pretty rad because than file actually goes all the way up there. It's a site that must be seen. I also don't mind replacing pop bumper skirts.

#12 4 months ago

Thanks for the responses everyone. Ya, I will probably just bit the bullet and unsolder/resolder.

I was thinking of using solder lugs, like I used on the new GI bulb sockets I installed on when I did a playfield swap. Makes it very easy to remove a bulb socket if one goes bad - remove two screws, replace socket, screw the two screws back.

But I do like the Wago connector idea Lhyrgoif!!...and I just purchased some of those for a separate project, so I am going to evaluate that idea.

This is on a Johnny Mnemonic machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pop-bumper-body-and-skirt-replacement-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.