Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0811 (resized).jpg
IMG_0808 (resized).jpg
IMG_0809 (resized).jpg
IMG_0803 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Greetings all,

I've been cleaning up / restoring a Playboy 2002 I picked up at a good price recently and have managed to get just about everything working - except 1 section of lights on the playfield - see photo.

The lights under the upper roll over lanes and 1 section of plastics continue to not light up. I have replaced the bulbs, checked the fuses, checked the wiring, and there is no notification on the DMD when I run lamp tests in the diagnostics ... so I am stumped.

I attached a photo and circled in lite green the bulbs that are having the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0803 (resized).jpgIMG_0803 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Have you checked the connector on the board for G.I ? They can get pretty toasty & cause this exact issue.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Have you checked the connector on the board for G.I ? They can get pretty toasty & cause this exact issue.

He has been down this road before>>> https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playboy-35th-data-east-right-side-lights-out

#4 2 years ago

I have with my other Playboy table. I finally have the time to fix / clean up my pinballs after completely shattering my ankle that laid me up for 8 months of recovery. I managed to fix the other playboy issue - which is why I went through and checked everything on this other table thoroughly before posting the question.

I have never worked on a newer stern machine before - which is why I was thinking it might be a different issue because I did all the checks that got the other machine working properly.

#5 2 years ago

TecumsehPlissken

Which one is the GI board? Trying to find a picture of it so I don't mess with the other connectors that are working fine.

#6 2 years ago

Do you have the manual to the game?

#7 2 years ago

How did you check/test your fuses?

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

How did you check/test your fuses?

I checked the fuses by sight - they all have intact thick filaments. Unfortunately I do not have the manual.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from HiRez00:

TecumsehPlissken
Which one is the GI board? Trying to find a picture of it so I don't mess with the other connectors that are working fine.

I just fixed one on a Soprano's this week that is a white star modified but same basic board set "I think" as your game. Check connector J15 its in the top left corner of the I/O power driver board. You also need to be checking your fuses with a meter & removed from the board in order to be sure you are checking them properly.

#10 2 years ago

I just fixed one on a Soprano's this week that is a white star modified but same basic board set "I think" as your game. Check connector J15 its in the top left corner of the I/O power driver board. You also need to be checking your fuses with a meter & removed from the board in order to be sure you are checking them properly.

TecumsehPlissken

I checked the J15 strip and all the contact appear ok - and i re-seated it - and still no joy ... when I lifted the playfield with the machine turned on - I realized that it is a lot more lights that I thought were initially out - it is the whole back arch and several on the left side as well.

I traced the lines and it is all the lights on the purple / white and purple line ... Also - I spotted something a little odd. 95% of the lights are in 2 terminal bayonet mounts - and there are several in single terminal bayonet mounts with BOTH wires going to the same terminal. What is also weird is the soldering on all those particular single lamp sockets is the soldering is very sloppy compared to the others.

See attached photos for the comparison of the 2 sockets - is this normal? I am unclear how single terminal sockets work?

Like I said - I only just picked up this game and have been going through it to clean it and fix any issues - you wouldn't believe the condition I found it in - dirty as any pinball ever - but believe it or not everything was intact and the playfield after cleanup and waxing is perfect - so it is worth the stretch.

Check out these photos and if you have some insight or feedback - much appreciated.

IMG_0808 (resized).jpgIMG_0808 (resized).jpgIMG_0809 (resized).jpgIMG_0809 (resized).jpg

#11 2 years ago

Ok if J15 isn't crispy and all the connections are good there, you Might just have a blown fuse that powers that string of G.I or a broken wire feeding that string. Check all of your fuses with a meter (continuity test) if you don't have a meter get one or ask a friend who has one to help?

#12 2 years ago

(Shakes head)

The hardest thing to fix is sabotage.

You have very good troubleshooting instincts.

The purple wire needs to be soldered to the frame or side of the lamp socket itself when you use that kind bulb socket. Directly soldering the purple wire to the white wire with a purple stripe HAS to blow something up... a fuse (F27, 5A 250V) or a trace. The transformer didn't blow up (!) and the relay is not damaged because the other strings of General Illumination are working, and the wires aren't melted insulation all their length, so it has to be a fuse or a trace.

The quick fix is to clip the Purple wire off of the offending terminals, replace the fuse, and see if the rest of the string of lights now come on. (Of course, the two that have the purple wire clipped off won't light up yet...)

If clipping out the two miswired sockets and replacing the fuse gets the rest of your Purple GI string working that's great! If it doesn't you may need to pull the Power/IO board and look at the traces. Hopefully it's just a fuse.

Then you'll need to either get the correct (two terminal) lamp sockets and wire them correctly, or you'll need to solder the purple wire to the frame or bracket of those two sockets, while leaving the white wire with the purple stripe on the terminals.

This is an impressive bit of sabotage!

Good luck!

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

(Shakes head)
The hardest thing to fix is sabotage.
You have very good troubleshooting instincts.
The purple wire needs to be soldered to the frame or side of the lamp socket itself when you use that kind bulb socket. Directly soldering the purple wire to the white wire with a purple stripe HAS to blow something up... a fuse (F27, 5A 250V) or a trace. The transformer didn't blow up (!) and the relay is not damaged because the other strings of General Illumination are working, and the wires aren't melted insulation all their length, so it has to be a fuse or a trace.
The quick fix is to clip the Purple wire off of the offending terminals, replace the fuse, and see if the rest of the string of lights now come on. (Of course, the two that have the purple wire clipped off won't light up yet...)
If clipping out the two miswired sockets and replacing the fuse gets the rest of your Purple GI string working that's great! If it doesn't you may need to pull the Power/IO board and look at the traces. Hopefully it's just a fuse.
Then you'll need to either get the correct (two terminal) lamp sockets and wire them correctly, or you'll need to solder the purple wire to the frame or bracket of those two sockets, while leaving the white wire with the purple stripe on the terminals.
This is an impressive bit of sabotage!
Good luck!

PinRetail

SUCCESS!!!

Per your suggestion - I re-soldered the 3 fixtures that were wired incorrectly, then replaced the fuse - thank you for pointing out which one I should have been looking at - F27.

When I powered the table up - the new lights I installed immediately came on - and then I went and tracked down all the others in that string and ALL of them we blown and black, so I replaced the other 7 bulbs and EVERYTHING worked beautifully!

Unlike the other "lights out" problem I had on my other table, which was simply a loose wire connector, this one was more complex. Thankfully it was just the fuse that had long blown and the bulbs, and not a trace on the board that would have taken a lot more to fix.

I can't imagine why someone would ever solder the both wires to the same terminal like that. When I initially saw it - I thought, perhaps that is a special connector I have never seen and the bulb is somehow grounded another way ... so I went and researched it and there was no such thing in existence. So this HAD to be the culprit ... still baffled by how / why someone would do that - from the looks of it - it was done a LONG time ago.

The guy I got the machine from had only had it a years or so and he got it from a guy who got it from a guy ... etc etc ... and when I went to see it to perhaps buy it - the guy said, well there are like 2 bulbs out of the playfield. Turns out there were 46 bulbs total that were out including a bank of bulbs behind the drop down photo "TEASE" in the back area. He admitted he knew nothing about maintaining them - he just played them until they ould break down and then he would sell them. I took the risk, and man, after cleaning, waxing, polishing, replacing bulbs and all the rubbers, etc, it was well worth it ... the table looks brand new now.

I have ordered several 3/4" riser 2 terminal bayonet sockets to completely replace the old ones because the old ones were beat up and they appeared to be too low when pushed through the playfield hole up into the playfield area. When I get them in the mail - I will replace them completely and call it done.

Thank you very much for helping me diagnose the problem. Even though I am fairly new to fixing "pinballs" - once I have clarification as to how to go about repairing / fixing something - I am quite capable, I just needed someone to confirm this might have been the problem.

Thanks again.

IMG_0811 (resized).jpgIMG_0811 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Richmond, KY
Machine - For Sale
New York, NY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 1,499.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playboy-stern-2002-section-of-lights-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.