Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders
  • Topic is a super sticky!

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3659 (resized).jpeg
    badged-app (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8400 (resized).png
    IMG_7989 (resized).PNG
    add_ios (resized).jpg
    IMG_8390 (resized).png
    Notifications enabler (resized).png
    Send test notification (resized).png
    add_ios (resized).jpg
    Notifications_iPhone (resized).jpeg
    push-devices (resized).jpg
    notification-view-onsite (resized).jpg
    notification-settings (resized).jpg
    #1 14 days ago

Hey all!

Pinside notifications are a pretty valuable feature on Pinside, that helps you stay informed about various activities and updates on the site. our real-time notification system ensures that you can quickly respond to ads, engage in discussions, and stay connected with the latest happenings on the platform.

I wanted to take a moment and explain some changes to our notifications system, so if you are a Pinside+ member and using notifications (or if you're just interested), please keep reading

Make sure push notifications are enabled for you!Make sure push notifications are enabled for you!

Please note that notifications are a Pinside+ feature. Subscribe to Pinside+ to enjoy Pinside notifications while supporting your favorite pinball website!

Pinside Notifications

Let's start with a quick overview of the events on Pinside that trigger a notification to be sent to you:

- When you are @mentioned in a post
    - When someone [Quotes] your post
    - When one of your posts receives thumbs
    - When you receive a PM Message
    - When you get a new Follower
    - When someone you follow starts a New Topic (NEW!)
    - When a New Post is made in a topic that you subscribe to
    - When a New Marketplace Ad is spotted (matching your set parameters).
    - When one of your Favorited ads gets updated (i.e. a price reduction)
    - When there are new results in a Marketplace saved search
    - When you need to refresh batteries on a game
    - when you receive a New order in your Pinside Shop
    - When a new Pinball Event (matching your set parameters)
    - When a Location near you gets added/updated
    - When you Unlock a Pinside Achievement

Setting up
    Some of these are simply an on/off switch, others can be tweaked in more detail, via notification settings.

Tweak when to receive particular notificationsTweak when to receive particular notifications

Now, by default, all these notifications get send to your notifications inbox. The little bell icon in the top right of the screen (next to the PM envelope icon) indicates you have new notifications.

View and filter your notification straight on the siteView and filter your notification straight on the site

That notifications inbox is a handy screen, indeed, but this is not the point of notifications, right? You want to get notified, even when not actively browsing the site. This allow for direct action: i.e. respond to a post, be the first to react to a new marketplace ad, know someone replied to your topic etc.

That's where push notifications come in!

My phone showing some push notifications.My phone showing some push notifications.

Push notifications
    When you add a device to receive push notifications, it will receive real-time alerts about notifications happening.

Here I'm set up to receive notifications on two devices. On my browser and on my iPhone.Here I'm set up to receive notifications on two devices. On my browser and on my iPhone.

2024 changes

Okay, time to mention some important changes for those who were already using push notifications. I have changed the way push notifications get delivered by implementing web standards, instead of relying on third-parties. This results in lower dependencies and faster delivery.

The downside: this means you're going to have to re-add your device following the steps below.

Desktop browser
    Web push notifications are natively supported by all major modern browsers!

- On the browser that should receive the notifications, visit https://pinside.com/pinball/my-pinside/settings/notifications#subscribed-devices
    - Hit the blue 'Enable push in this browser' button
    - Done!

Android phone
    Web push notifications are natively supported on Android!

- On your Android phone, visit https://pinside.com/pinball/my-pinside/settings/notifications#subscribed-devices
    - Hit the blue 'Enable push in this browser' button
    - Done!

Apple iPhone (or iPad)
    Since iOS 16, push notifications also work for Pinsiders with an iPhone. There's a bit of a setup:

Setting up a home screen shortcut app for Pinside, so you can receive push notifications.Setting up a home screen shortcut app for Pinside, so you can receive push notifications.

- Visit Pinside homepage in the safari browser on your iOS 17+ iPhone.
    - In the toolbar, tap on the 'Share' button (arrow up).
    - Choose 'Add to Home Screen'.
    - Optionally edit the name of the home screen app, then tap 'Add' in the top right corner of the popup.
    - Pinside will now appear on your Home Screen as a native app. Launch it.
    - Inside the Pinside 'app', navigate to Settings > Push Configuration and tap the "enable push in this browser" button.
    - Done!

Testing 1..2

Send test notification (resized).pngSend test notification (resized).pngYou can test your setup by navigating to https://pinside.com/pinball/my-pinside/settings/notifications#subscribed-devices and hitting the "send test notification button" on your desktop browser and see if a notification appears on your mobile device.

That's it!

#2 14 days ago

It worked with my iPhone for about 2 days and now does not. Has not worked since Thursday or Friday. It worked great with Telegram. Everything is set up as you described.

#3 14 days ago

Wow,Robin.your really on the ball!

#4 14 days ago

Is my cell phone supposed to show on enabled devices. Thank you for this email. I am looking forward to using this feature.

IMG_8390 (resized).pngIMG_8390 (resized).png
    #5 14 days ago
    Quoted from sfspanky:

It worked with my iPhone for about 2 days and now does not. Has not worked since Thursday or Friday. It worked great with Telegram. Everything is set up as you described.

I looked at the most recent notifications sent to your iPhone and they are confirmed delivered by Apple's push server. Are you sure you they are not appearing but muted by 'focus' mode or whatnot?

And what happens if you open the homescreen 'app'? Does that trigger a display of notifications?

---

The notifications feature on iOS was tested on a number of iOS devices at Pinside HQ and working properly on all.

Could you try deleting the Pinside 'app' from your home screen:

Deleting the home screen 'app', or 'bookmark' as Apple calls it.Deleting the home screen 'app', or 'bookmark' as Apple calls it.

Then re-add it:

Adding Pinside as an 'app' to your iPhone home screen.Adding Pinside as an 'app' to your iPhone home screen.

---

As a last effort, you could try to clear website data for Pinside from your iOS cache. To do so, first delete Pinside home screen 'app' from your home screen (I think Apple calls them 'bookmarks'). Then go to iPhone settings > safari > advanced > website data --- Now look for pinside.com and slide it left to reveal a delete button. This will clear Pinside website data (cache). After all that, navigate to Pinside in safari, and ad it as a home screen 'app' once more as per instructions in my post #1 above.

#6 14 days ago
    Quoted from FireKingpin:

Is my cell phone supposed to show on enabled devices. Thank you for this email. I am looking forward to using this feature.
    [quoted image]

From your screenshot, it looks like you are not in the Pinside home screen 'bookmark/app'. As described in my post under "2024 changes > Apple iPhone", you have to create a bookmark for Pinside on your home screen. Start that and then subscribe to push notifications from within this app.

#7 14 days ago

Just tried it out, worked for me. Just FYI. iPhone iOS 17.4.1.

#8 14 days ago
    Quoted from robin:

I looked at the most recent notifications sent to your iPhone and they are confirmed delivered by Apple's push server. Are you sure you they are not appearing but muted by 'focus' mode or whatnot?
    And what happens if you open the homescreen 'app'? Does that trigger a display of notifications?
    ---
    The notifications feature on iOS was tested on a number of iOS devices at Pinside HQ and working properly on all.
    Could you try deleting the Pinside 'app' from your home screen:
    [quoted image]
    Then re-add it:
    [quoted image]
    ---
    As a last effort, you could try to clear website data for Pinside from your iOS cache. To do so, first delete Pinside home screen 'app' from your home screen (I think Apple calls them 'bookmarks'). Then go to iPhone settings > safari > advanced > website data --- Now look for pinside.com and slide it left to reveal a delete button. This will clear Pinside website data (cache). After all that, navigate to Pinside in safari, and ad it as a home screen 'app' once more as per instructions in my post #1 above.

Thanks Robin. I uninstalled/reinstalled and it is working again.

#9 14 days ago
    Quoted from sfspanky:

I was never able to get telegram to work

#10 14 days ago

Looks like redoing it worked. Thank you.

#11 13 days ago

I'm not getting notifications on anything. I have them explicitly allowed on Chrome desktop site settings as well as Android Firefox settings. Both devices are set to receive push notifs from Pinside. But the test notification doesn't show up on either of them. Could I be missing another setting?

#12 13 days ago

Do notifications still work with Telegram?

Edit: Just setup the notifications with iOS. While this is certainly nice to have a native integration, Telegram was nice in that when you went in the app you could see the entire message/quote/whatever before going to the full site. I liked getting that preview before I was ready to respond.

#13 13 days ago

I had some weird behavior yesterday. Seems like I got double notifications for some events and later in the day I didn't get any.
    How does the feature work when you have iOS notifications enabled on your iPhone (meaning added Pinside as a Home Screen app, etc)) but are browsing (or were) on a different computer?

#14 13 days ago
    Quoted from robin:

I had to do this twice for it to finally work. Haven’t gotten any notifications yet, but it finally shows up properly.

#15 12 days ago

Does your app show a notification action number on it?

#16 12 days ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I was never able to get telegram to work

Telegram worked pretty well, up until the beginning of this year when it started acting up and eventually it didn't work at all. Probably some changes to their API, but I had no time to dive into this. And then, when Apple FINALLY added support for web push to iOS, I decided to drop support for Telegram altogether. If a lot of Pinsiders want it, I can always plan to spend time on it, but right now this is not a priority.

Quoted from altan:

I had some weird behavior yesterday. Seems like I got double notifications for some events and later in the day I didn't get any.
    How does the feature work when you have iOS notifications enabled on your iPhone (meaning added Pinside as a Home Screen app, etc)) but are browsing (or were) on a different computer?

I'm adding some more debugging to notifications backend to hopefully find out why this is happening. Stay tuned.

#17 12 days ago

The test notification goes through fine, but not getting the notification for any others.

IMG_8400 (resized).pngIMG_8400 (resized).png
    #18 12 days ago

My Iphone was not showing I could get notifications from Pinside as an app . I had to go to settings > safari > advanced > feature flags > notifications (box was unchecked). Now it is working.

#19 12 days ago
    Quoted from ripple:

My Iphone was not showing I could get notifications from Pinside as an app . I had to go to settings > safari > advanced > feature flags > notifications (box was unchecked). Now it is working.

Thanks for the tip!

I do believe this was only necessary for older versions of iOS? Not the latest version 17?

Quoted from FireKingpin:

The test notification goes through fine, but not getting the notification for any others. [quoted image]

Your device shows up as delivering properly. Maybe you already figured that out since your post, but as far as I can see notifications are successfully being delivered to your Apple device.

#20 12 days ago

I’ve got notifications working on iOS now; is it badging the app icon for anyone? Not seeing that here. Would be nice to see the number of notifications there and to visually see it needs addressing.

Also, put my vote in for Telegram support again! I much prefer that to the native iOS notifications actually. It had a preview of the full message and would actually badge the app icon with the number of notifications, which was nice.

#21 12 days ago
    Quoted from ripple:

I did the tweak above in settings and am now getting notifications in the banner. The app is not giving me a count.

#22 12 days ago
    Quoted from interconnect:

I’ve got notifications working on iOS now; is it badging the app icon for anyone? Not seeing that here. Would be nice to see the number of notifications there and to visually see it needs addressing.

Great suggestion! I have added badging. It will currently show the number of notifications received since you last checked the notifications page on Pinside.

Also, put my vote in for Telegram support again!

Yeah, I already got some requests

I hope to find some time to dive in to this, somewhere next week.

#23 12 days ago
    Quoted from robin:

Great suggestion! I have added badging. It will currently show the number of notifications received since you last checked the notifications page on Pinside.

Awesome! Thanks so much for doing that; that was fast. That’ll come in handy for sure.

#24 12 days ago
    Quoted from robin:

I don’t see badges happening. Is it currently live?

#25 12 days ago

I don’t see badges happening. Is it currently live?

Yes. You may have to refresh the Pinside home screen 'app' for this to work.

I did this by tapping the icon, then I hit the refresh button in the black bar at the bottom of the app.

Here is how I'm seeing it on my iPhone:

19 notifications since I last checked my notifications screen19 notifications since I last checked my notifications screen

#26 12 days ago
    Quoted from robin:

Yes. You may have to refresh the Pinside home screen 'app' for this to work.
    I did this by tapping the icon, then I hit the refresh button in the black bar at the bottom of the app.
    Here is how I'm seeing it on my iPhone:
    [quoted image]

Hmmm, I tried that and now I’m not get any notifications at all.

#27 12 days ago

I enabled push notifications in Safari on macOS 14.4 and the test notifications are not being delivered.

#28 11 days ago

Hmmm, I tried that and now I’m not get any notifications at all.

I see the last successful notification sent to you (a test notification) was 4 hours after your post.

If it's still not working, maybe your could try to remove the home screen app/bookmark, then re-add it?

Quoted from bdash:

I enabled push notifications in Safari on macOS 14.4 and the test notifications are not being delivered.

I see the last successful notification sent to you was 2 hours after your post. I see it was accepted by Apple's push server, but what happens after, I cannot know.

#29 11 days ago
    Quoted from robin:

I see the last successful notification sent to you (a test notification) was 4 hours after your post.
    If it's still not working, maybe your could try to remove the home screen app/bookmark, then re-add it?

I see the last successful notification sent to you was 2 hours after your post. I see it was accepted by Apple's push server, but what happens after, I cannot know.

Mine worked fine for hours yesterday then just quit pushing notifications as well. Did the remove and add again and still no luck, although it was sent successful it was not received.

#30 11 days ago

To all those for whom push notifications first works for a few hours/days and then stops delivering: are you opening any of the notifications you receive? Maybe delivery is being halted by Apple once too many notifications are gone left unopened, i.e. 'ignored'?

#31 11 days ago
    Quoted from robin:

I deleted the Pinside “app” and re-added it and now it’s working. I opened the notifications too; yeah maybe they were getting blocked by Apple. I’m not seeing badges though.

#32 10 days ago

Hey robin
    On the new notifications table, why do some of my notifications have 3x or 2x next to them? Obviously you wrote the code to display that, but perhaps it aligns with me getting multiple notifications for the same thing?

#33 9 days ago

These are grouped notifications. I.e. multiple messages in the same PM thread.

You can open the group and see them all via the “show all” link.

Hope that answers your question!

#34 8 days ago

I was getting notifications without issue, but then I didn't check one of them last night, and now that I've done it, the number hovering above the app got stuck, no matter how many times I refreshed/marked them as read.

I had to delete an reinstall the app to get it to actually clear out. Not sure if others have experienced this.

#35 7 days ago
    Quoted from 30FathomDave:

I was getting notifications without issue, but then I didn't check one of them last night, and now that I've done it, the number hovering above the app got stuck, no matter how many times I refreshed/marked them as read.
    I had to delete an reinstall the app to get it to actually clear out. Not sure if others have experienced this.

Same deal again, except I checked it as soon as the notification came in. No matter how many times I click on the notification and/or refresh, the number above the icon doesn’t go away (and if I open a browser and look, it shows zero notifications, so it definitely cleared).

This is on an iphone 13 using current software.

IMG_3659 (resized).jpegIMG_3659 (resized).jpeg

#36 5 days ago

The red badge number indicates the number of notifications sent to you since you last opened the notifications screen on Pinside.

This number gets sent along with each notification that Pinside pushed to your device.

When you visit the Notifications Inbox (https://pinside.com/pinball/connect/notifications), the next notification will have a value of 1 sent along with it.

Opening the notification does not (yet) reset the badge. I'm not sure if this can be done technically, but I'll make a note to look into this.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-push-notifications-update and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.