IMG_0797 (resized).jpg
IMG_2182 (resized).jpeg
20240323_120944 (resized).jpg
20240406_140946 (resized).jpg
20240328_163115 (resized).jpg
23091530446-angle-xlarge (resized).jpg
23091530446-front-xlarge (resized).jpg
A6325A15-5129-48FC-B44D-812AEB5D056D (resized).jpeg
There are 1,633 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 33.
#1601 29 days ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Question guys. To my understanding, when tuning the guitar the open strings should match the note when holding the same string on the 12th fret. But my tuner does not show that same note when I press the 12th fret.
How do I correct this?

Video is kind of long, but the actual process is pretty easy to understand. Make SMALL adjustments

#1602 29 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Video is kind of long, but the actual process is pretty easy to understand. Make SMALL adjustments

Thanks for sharing. This is helpful

#1603 29 days ago

Re: Intonation.

A part of why intonation is difficult on a vast majority of guitars/basses is the scale length. Look at the soundboard on any piano made over the centuries: they're all multiscale. Read: longer to shorter from the thickest/lowest strings to the thinnest/highest. It's math. Fixed-scale guitars/basses are inherently flawed from a tuning standpoint. Until recent years this has largely been ignored, but fanned-fret guitars/basses/etc have made inroads in recent years to adjust for this. The importance of this is subjective to the user, so fixed scale instruments remain a vast majority of production.

/nerd mode off

1 week later
#1604 22 days ago
20240406_140946 (resized).jpg20240406_140946 (resized).jpg
#1605 22 days ago

I love an SG with P-90s! Is the pickguard a one-off custom?

#1606 22 days ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

[quoted image]

Those 2 guitars created decades of legendary music

#1607 22 days ago

My situation right now...

20240323_120944 (resized).jpg20240323_120944 (resized).jpg
#1608 22 days ago

Nice 12 string!

#1609 22 days ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

I love an SG with P-90s! Is the pickguard a one-off custom?

One off custom. Love a P90 SG too. It's the "50s Tribute" model that Gibson did 10 years ago. Nice heft for an SG.

#1610 22 days ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

[quoted image]

That’s a good situation to be in

#1611 22 days ago

Boob - stunning Martins you have sir! Damn impressive! My current acoustic situation right now (Maple 6, Rosewood 6, Ovankol 12). Love my Taylor’s, but need a real deal Martin for ‘That’ sound. Considering adding a Martin HD-35 soon to honor my boy David Gilmour since my dealer was unable to secure one of his limited models for me a few years back (damn him!).

IMG_2182 (resized).jpegIMG_2182 (resized).jpeg

#1612 21 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Boob - stunning Martins you have sir! Damn impressive! My current acoustic situation right now (Maple 6, Rosewood 6, Ovankol 12). Love my Taylor’s, but need a real deal Martin for ‘That’ sound. Considering adding a Martin HD-35 soon to honor my boy David Gilmour since my dealer was unable to secure one of his limited models for me a few years back (damn him!).
[quoted image]

Well...I see you're a Taylor guy. I've got a K14ce Builder's Edition hiding behind that doorframe that you can't see. Some may say my collection is excessive, especially since I really suck on guitar (I'm a piano player by birth), but for me it's the artistry of taking a tree--literally--and turning it into a functional piece of art. Sure, paintings are beautiful, but they just hang on a wall. A beautiful guitar is something you can use to bring joy to others with your own artistry.

#1613 21 days ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

[quoted image]

Are you any good on that mandolin?

#1614 21 days ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Are you any good on that mandolin?

Nope. But I can play Losing My Religion, and that's good enough for me.

#1615 21 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

[quoted image]

Is your "rosewood 6" a 414R-ce? That's probably the best value Taylor on the market. It's essentially the 814ce without all the fancy pearl this, abalone that, and glossy whatever else. But at the end of the day, the sound is like 99.99% the same as it has the exact same woods and you save like a thousand dollars or more.

I bought an ovangkol 414ce back in 2001 that I just fell in love with and it's still my main acoustic I play today. I have three other Taylors, a 314Mce(Mahogany top) from their 25th Anniversary line, a custom 714ce with a florentine cutaway, and a custom 754ce also with a florentine cutaway that I got to pick out the tonewoods with Bob Taylor himself many years ago at the factory.

So, yeah, I'm a bit of a Taylor guy myself, but I also am saving a "spot" in my overall collection for a great vintage Martin dreadnought, hopefully an HD35 of some sort.

#1616 21 days ago

yeah it is a 414R-CE. Love the Ovankol version as well, but decided to go Rosewood for the same reason you mentioned above. Taylors are great guitars - they play fantastic, but are a little brighter in tone. That's why I want a real Martin in my Collection.

#1617 18 days ago

Here's the current guitar corner. Please excuse the mess on the Asteroids cocktail (pinballs on the other side of the basement).

IMG_0797 (resized).jpgIMG_0797 (resized).jpg
#1618 17 days ago

Anyone have an opinion about a true Gibson SG with P90s versus the Epiphone SG clone with P90s? Folks on YouTube seem to think the Epiphone for the money is pretty decent.

#1619 17 days ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Anyone have an opinion about a true Gibson SG with P90s versus the Epiphone SG clone with P90s? Folks on YouTube seem to think the Epiphone for the money is pretty decent.

If you're someone who cycles through guitars, the Gibson will hold its value much better on the resale market. If not, I'd buy the Epiphone on the secondary market for the same reason. It's like driving a new car off the lot, it'll instantly lose value but a Honda will hold value better than a Kia.

#1620 17 days ago

Thanks for the response.

Anyone have a Tone King Royalist MKIII amp? I'm into all the old tunes (like 1950s- 1970s) so that's the kind of sound I like.

#1621 16 days ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

The Gibson will have nitrocellulose lacquer and the Epi will likely have polyurethane. Us purists will tell you there is a difference, but you really need to do an A-B comparison with the actual guitars.

#1622 13 days ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

The Gibson will have nitrocellulose lacquer and the Epi will likely have polyurethane. Us purists will tell you there is a difference, but you really need to do an A-B comparison with the actual guitars.

I never met an Epi with great fretwork. I'm sure they exist, but in general the frets will feel scratchy and will have some jagged edges.

But if you're playing the actual guitar before buying, you might not find it to be an issue.

#1623 9 days ago

GC offered 4 years at 0% as well as 10% back in a gift card so I pulled the trigger on a D-41. By far the nicest sounding acoustic I’ve ever played. Man, That new Martin smell is nothing but beautiful.

IMG_2220 (resized).jpegIMG_2220 (resized).jpegIMG_2221 (resized).jpegIMG_2221 (resized).jpegIMG_2222 (resized).jpegIMG_2222 (resized).jpegIMG_2223 (resized).jpegIMG_2223 (resized).jpegIMG_2224 (resized).jpegIMG_2224 (resized).jpegIMG_2225 (resized).jpegIMG_2225 (resized).jpeg
#1624 9 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

GC offered 4 years at 0% as well as 10% back in a gift card so I pulled the trigger on a D-41. By far the nicest sounding acoustic I’ve ever played. Man, That new Martin smell is nothing but beautiful.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful,enjoy

#1625 8 days ago

I started playing when I was about 12, played for years and years, til i was in my late 30s and the band broke up and pinball kinda took over. EVH, Rhoads, I leaned more towards metal/hard rock (Marshall and Kramer setup).

I still have all my gear, and over the past couple years have bought a few new cords etc, with the desire of playing again, but I'm hesitant. I used to play daily, and you cant really pick up a guitar every couple weeks and rip out Eruption or something. I'm just not sure I can commit to the time it takes to stay in shape and play the way I used to.

#1626 8 days ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I started playing when I was about 12, played for years and years, til i was in my late 30s and the band broke up and pinball kinda took over. EVH, Rhoads, I leaned more towards metal/hard rock (Marshall and Kramer setup).
I still have all my gear, and over the past couple years have bought a few new cords etc, with the desire of playing again, but I'm hesitant. I used to play daily, and you cant really pick up a guitar every couple weeks and rip out Eruption or something. I'm just not sure I can commit to the time it takes to stay in shape and play the way I used to.

I've gone through phases where I haven't played for probably over a year and it's always come back. I've found that buying a new piece of gear usually gets your mind back in the game

#1627 7 days ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I’m not sure from your comment if you want to get back into it, or you’re thinking of selling your gear? Put up one of your guitars for sale, and if you don’t regret it, sell the rest. If you do, there’s your answer. Make some time!

#1628 6 days ago
Quoted from Jason43:

I've gone through phases where I haven't played for probably over a year and it's always come back. I've found that buying a new piece of gear usually gets your mind back in the game

That was one of my thoughts. I've had a couple guitars in the cart on Sweetwaters site for a long time, thinking maybe some new gear would spark the fire again. I've never owned a GOOD guitar, I've really only owned 2 or 3, the most I paid was about $450 for a Kramer I got in the 80s.

#1629 6 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’m not sure from your comment if you want to get back into it, or you’re thinking of selling your gear? Put up one of your guitars for sale, and if you don’t regret it, sell the rest. If you do, there’s your answer. Make some time!

Wanting to get back into it.

I just need to shut off the tv and play!

#1630 5 days ago

Just came across this thread. My collection is mostly Gibson guitars and Marshall amplifiers (mix of vintage and new) Here are a few of my babies

Les Paul is an R9 Murphy Lab, 335 is Custom Shop '59 VOS, V and Explorer are both standard Gibson USA production.

IMG_2720 (resized).jpegIMG_2720 (resized).jpegIMG_3203 (resized).jpegIMG_3203 (resized).jpeg
#1631 5 days ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Wanting to get back into it.
I just need to shut off the tv and play!

That's the ticket!

#1632 5 days ago
Quoted from alex:

Just came across this thread. My collection is mostly Gibson guitars and Marshall amplifiers (mix of vintage and new) Here are a few of my babies
Les Paul is an R9 Murphy Lab, 335 is Custom Shop '59 VOS, V and Explorer are both standard Gibson USA production. [quoted image][quoted image]

I'm not really a fan of modern Gibsons but whatever vintage those guitars are they look awesome. Especially that Explorer!

#1633 5 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm not really a fan of modern Gibsons but whatever vintage those guitars are they look awesome. Especially that Explorer!

Thanks, the Explorer is 2023 production. SUPER fun guitar to play!

There are 1,633 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-guitar-players-and-guitar-stuff-needs-more-vid/page/33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.