Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by ralphs007
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240415-170440-514 (resized).png
    #1 11 years ago

I have carpet in my gameroom and find it harder to nudge my pins, does anyone else experience this with theirs on carpet? Do you find pinfooties help? I had furniture movers (the kind you get at a hardware store plastic on bottom with some rubber on top) under all my legs but I am beginning to think that is not helping and may even be making it more difficult. Lastly, does the way you have you leg levelers set up affect nudging? On my three machines the backs are very extended and the front levelers are almost all the way up into the legs. Would making the front levelers longer help for rocking and nudging?

Thanks in advance.

#2 11 years ago

someone has to have advice on this.

#3 11 years ago

I'm a convicted nudger, and have carpet in our gameroom as well. To be honest I've never nudged on anything except for carpet so I'm very interested in what you find out... Would a slippery surface allow for more nudging with less tilts or would it just make it less strenuous to nudge.

#4 11 years ago

My pins are on carpet with the rubber feet. The feet do not move so I think nudging is easier. But if you like to throw your machines around when you play, then that will be pretty much impossible.
    I try to have my levelers as far down as possible. Up high increases the wobble factor.
    Change your stance so you can apply more force. You must be deeply rooted in the Tau to become a Nudge Master, Grasshopper.

#5 11 years ago

Put the game on sliders so instead of nudging you can float the game 3-4 inches side to side, it's awesome

#6 11 years ago

I'm confused here. You want the machine to actually move when you "nudge" it? I mean I know the cabinet rocks, but if you are actually moving the leg levelers on the floor....I think it's time to tighten up that tilt bob (or install one if it isn't there). I have never heard anyone ask what to put under their levers to actually make it more likely to move while you are playing.

I would think carpeting would be the preferred surface for a pin. I may be wrong.....but it sounds like a very strange question to me.

#7 11 years ago

I have carpet and can nudge my games just fine. If the leg levelers are actually moving from their original spot all the time, you are nudging way to hard haha..they may shift a tiny but, but the game shouldn't move much from it's original spot.

#8 11 years ago

I don't know what you people are doing? Or (more likely) I don't know what I'm doing.....but the legs never move when I nudge and I often nudge hard enough to get warnings.

This is on carpet.

#9 11 years ago

Nudging is not sliding the cabinet around. A HARD slap save may move the cabinet. I do that on BOP all the time. But most other times you are just flexing the machine around on its legs. I am known as a heavy nudger among my friends. They wait for the tilt when we get heavy into a tournament.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I'm confused here. You want the machine to actually move when you "nudge" it? I mean I know the cabinet rocks, but if you are actually moving the leg levelers on the floor....I think it's time to tighten up that tilt bob (or install one if it isn't there). I have never heard anyone ask what to put under their levers to actually make it more likely to move while you are playing.
    I would think carpeting would be the preferred surface for a pin. I may be wrong.....but it sounds like a very strange question to me.

The furniture movers I have them on is more to protect the carpet and make it easier to move them for repairs. I am not looking for the game to slide around when I nudge, but right now when I nudge the ball seems to be unaffected. I do have an F-14 which is a drain monster, and my tilt is connected. I wondered if the furniture movers were too wide a base and it prevented nudging.

Quoted from SealClubber:

My pins are on carpet with the rubber feet. The feet do not move so I think nudging is easier. But if you like to throw your machines around when you play, then that will be pretty much impossible.
    I try to have my levelers as far down as possible. Up high increases the wobble factor.
    Change your stance so you can apply more force. You must be deeply rooted in the Tau to become a Nudge Master, Grasshopper.

I think this may be what I need, a stance adjustment.

One last thing, would legs being too tight against the cabinet prevent proper nudging?

#11 11 years ago

Take the sliders out. By allowing the game to slide you are not transferring the nudge to the game but just sliding it.

#12 11 years ago

I was at a semi-casual tourney last year. The bar it was held at had smooth concrete floor I believe. Anyway...the tilts were set pretty tight since it was a tourney and one player got a little carried away and actually moved the player end of the machine a few inches so it was sitting lopsided between the other games. He got danger, danger and tilt all in one shebang.

So the next player...a young lady, started to approach the game. Someone being nice said whoa, whoa, whoa...give it a sec and make sure the tilt has settled down. So she waited a few seconds and then stepped up to the game. Then she proceeded to pick up the front of the game and scoot it back to it's original position. Needless to say...danger, danger, tilt. DOH!

#13 11 years ago

You have to nudge/shift the game fairly hard, unless it's a newer Stern that is made out of pressboard, they are super easy to nudge...I kid..I kid...well not really haha...my buddies Tron LE seems like it's 100 pounds lighter than any other Bally/Williams/DE game I've had, so easy to move..

#14 11 years ago

Go to Home Depot and check out the white plastic furniture sliders. They have a foam pad on top of the plastic liar toy can also chek out the more expensive grey ish colored ones of a different manufacturer. They slide a bit easie. The white ones also dampen the noise, as o the others if you put padding between the slider and the leg. I think the white ones are "move-alls". You could check out Pin-Footies which also would help and look nicer if you care about esthetics.
    Allen

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Take the sliders out. By allowing the game to slide you are not transferring the nudge to the game but just sliding it.

Quoted from pinaholic:

Go to Home Depot and check out the white plastic furniture sliders. They have a foam pad on top of the plastic liar toy can also chek out the more expensive grey ish colored ones of a different manufacturer. They slide a bit easie. The white ones also dampen the noise, as o the others if you put padding between the slider and the leg. I think the white ones are "move-alls". You could check out Pin-Footies which also would help and look nicer if you care about esthetics.
    Allen

So which is it?

#16 11 years ago

Carpets come in all different shapes and sizes. Each has their own characteristics when it comes to nudging. Some have a 'grain' which allows nudging much easier in one direction over another. Using anything under the levelers, you're just going to have to experiment. The chances of someone here having the exact same carpet as you is going to be pretty slim.

#17 11 years ago

I use the Home Depot sliders. They don't crush the carpet as much and they still allow me to control the ball movement by nudging the cab.

#19 11 years ago

remove the carpet

11 years later
    #21 15 days ago

Wtf

#22 15 days ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

but right now when I nudge the ball seems to be unaffected.

Nudge better. Put your back into it!!

#24 13 days ago

I'd install some furniture glides on the feet. Just be careful you don't slide the game through a wall.

Screenshot_20240415-170440-514 (resized).pngScreenshot_20240415-170440-514 (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nudging-on-carpet-tips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.