DSC_4700 (resized).JPG
DSC_4699 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240405_080331 (resized).jpg
_20240411_210104 (resized).JPG
DSC_4645 (resized).JPG
DSC_4642 (resized).JPG
DSC_4626 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
There are 3,073 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 62.
#3051 28 days ago
Quoted from Pwedge:

Pretty sure the intent of this thread is console games, but I’ll play along anyway.
On my vertical mame machine, my kids play Jumping Jack a lot. Other than that, the other top players are pretty common games: Galaga, Journey, Ms Pac Man, Frogger, Burgertime,…

I appreciate the suggestions (will try Jumping Jack out for sure!). And I sorta stumbled into this thread, apologies if I took it in an unintended direction.

Excellent, will definitely check that out and look for those hidden gems.

Quoted from oldskool1969:

Asteroids recharged looks insane and true to retro.

I have not tried it but will, Asteroids is an all-time fave

Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Have you played Pepper 2? It can get addictive, simple to learn, thought to master.

Oooh another one I have not played, can't wait to give it a try.

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate it, carry on and Happy Easter!

#3052 28 days ago
Quoted from woody24:

Well shoot. Just backed the 8 pins. Looks cool.

Thank you so much!

#3053 28 days ago

Changed my storage bins to plastic totes yesterday, so I went through all my parts. Found my 3DSXL! Sweet! It's jailbroken, too.

#3054 26 days ago

I just ordered the Unico 26” lcd 4:3 monitor for my mame cabinet. I’m going from a 19” to 26”. When I built this cabinet I would have needed to use a 16:9 lcd to get a larger screen and once you add in the black bars it would have been virtually the same size as a 19”, so I’m happy there’s a larger 4:3 screen being made now.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#3055 26 days ago

I just ordered the Unico 26” lcd 4:3 monitor for my mame cabinet. I’m going from a 19” to 26”. When I built this cabinet I would have needed to use a 16:9 lcd to get a larger screen and once you add in the black bars it would have been virtually the same size as a 19”, so I’m happy there’s a larger 4:3 screen being made now.
[quoted image]

I love the wood grain paneling used for the bezel.

#3056 26 days ago
Quoted from MRG:

I love the wood grain paneling used for the bezel.

Thanks, I built that cabinet like 15 or 20 years ago. I think it’s time for an upgrade. The pc is running windows XP, so it’s had a good run. I might just get a cheap NUC computer. Anything will be better than the core2duo that’s in there now

#3057 26 days ago

Thanks, I built that cabinet like 15 or 20 years ago. I think it’s time for an upgrade. The pc is running windows XP, so it’s had a good run. I might just get a cheap NUC computer. Anything will be better than the core2duo that’s in there now

I have a similar setup computer wise, XP. You don't need that much power to run MAME. If you want a front end that plays video previews then an upgrade may be needed. I am now using a raspberry PI 3b+ with emulation station. It plays preview videos fine. It cost about $50 new. I also run this mini pc https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06516815
on my 65inch in the living room to play all consol games up to the switch. It has an AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 3400GE Processor. This was only $150

#3058 26 days ago

Years ago I got one of these loaded hyperspin hard drives. I was pretty sceptical so I split the cost with a friend, but this is as good as advertised…. Every game you can think of
https://www.romcollector.com/

#3059 22 days ago

I just ordered the Unico 26” lcd 4:3 monitor for my mame cabinet.

I installed on in my mame cabinet and am super happy with it. The reviews on it scared me for a long time. However connecting to a PC I have had no issues. The picture is great (I'm running scanlines through mame)
20240319_202154 (resized).jpg20240319_202154 (resized).jpg

20240407_103121 (resized).jpg20240407_103121 (resized).jpg
#3060 20 days ago

Eclipse day pickup: Finally snagged a 27" TV, and a JVC with s-video to boot! It was on the side of the road hours before it was picked up by the street department during clean-up week. It's funny, if I wasn't headed home from the office to watch the eclipse I would have never seen this._20240408_142108 (resized).JPG_20240408_142108 (resized).JPG_20240408_142036 (resized).JPG_20240408_142036 (resized).JPG

#3061 20 days ago
Quoted from Crash:

Eclipse day pickup: Finally snagged a 27" TV, and a JVC with s-video to boot! It was on the side of the road hours before it was picked up by the street department during clean-up week. It's funny, if I wasn't headed home from the office to watch the eclipse I would have never seen this.[quoted image][quoted image]

Funny coincidence, I saw a crt sitting on the side of the road today while heading to the eclipse. I didn’t grad it because I didn’t have room and already have two, but my first thought was “I know a couple guys that would love to have that”

#3062 20 days ago

Funny coincidence, I saw a crt sitting on the side of the road today while heading to the eclipse. I didn’t grad it because I didn’t have room and already have two, but my first thought was “I know a couple guys that would love to have that”

Yep, add these to the list of weird things that happened on April 8, 2024.

So, the TV I have is a slightly cut down version of the more common AV27230. The main difference is lack of component inputs and a slightly lower res picture tube. But, most consumer TVs were around 300 to 400 lines. Also, these tubes are generally suspected to be the same ones used in the popular JVC D-Series sets.

https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/v1gwfu/has_anyone_ever_heard_of_the_jvc_av27220_not_the/

The IC mine uses does not have component inputs, but the microcontroller is separate meaning an RGB mod is still possible. For a 600 TVL resolution tube an RGB mod is definitely worth looking in to.

#3063 17 days ago

I’ve decided to update the rest of my arcade cabinet since I’ve got the new screen installed. I bought a new mini pc with windows 11 installed, a new 2.1 stereo amp, tiny subwoofer, and I’m waiting on a plug and play external hard drive with the current mame rom set. I also added a piece of plexiglass with 50% tint on it, in front of the screen. I might get a piece of smoky tempered glass if I like this look, the plexiglass isn’t that durable. The old sound system was just a cheap Logitech one that hummed when it turned on, so this new one is leap and bounds better. There’s a power switch on the back that controls the power bar and then everything just plugs into that. There’s also a powered usb hub in the back that connects to the pc.

It’s all really simple, but you’d be amazed how many people think it’s a complicated thing to make.
IMG_0339 (resized).jpegIMG_0339 (resized).jpegIMG_0340 (resized).jpegIMG_0340 (resized).jpegIMG_0341 (resized).jpegIMG_0341 (resized).jpegIMG_0342 (resized).jpegIMG_0342 (resized).jpegIMG_0344 (resized).jpegIMG_0344 (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#3064 17 days ago

It’s all really simple, but you’d be amazed how many people think it’s a complicated thing to make.

"Complicated" is when you use a tri-sync CRT and generate all the .ini files for custom resolutions, matching the original resolution and refresh rates for all your games (I assume that's how MAME still does it, haven't reinstalled in years).

"Overly complicated" is when you do the same thing for a second vertically oriented cabinet so you can play the vertical games non pillarboxed.

Also, your ordering that HDD removed a lot of complexity in sourcing the ROMS, artwork, bezels, marquees, cpanels, etc.

#3065 17 days ago
Quoted from metallik:

Also, your ordering that HDD removed a lot of complexity in sourcing the ROMS, artwork, bezels, marquees, cpanels, etc

A decade ago I made a virtual pin and spent months doing that for over 100 pinball machines with the hyperpin front end. I’d rather not have to deal with that again.

https://hyperspin-fe.com/forums/topic/2340-mortal-pinball-kombat-a-build-thread/

#3066 17 days ago

After adjusting focus/screen voltages and calibrating, the only thing left really is convergence. I'm going to make my own convergence strips. The guy from Canada selling them on eBay is a ripoff.
_20240411_210104 (resized).JPG_20240411_210104 (resized).JPG
DSC_4626 (resized).JPGDSC_4626 (resized).JPGDSC_4642 (resized).JPGDSC_4642 (resized).JPGDSC_4645 (resized).JPGDSC_4645 (resized).JPG

#3067 16 days ago

Pandora has a new retro shooter package with a different form factor for the gun. I've been pretty happy with the original retro shooter. It's just good enough to scratch the itch to play light gun games.

https://retroshooter.com/mx24-pre/

#3068 15 days ago

IMG_20240405_080331 (resized).jpgIMG_20240405_080331 (resized).jpg

Got in my mario 1-3 pins for my kickstarter. These are 1" X 1" enamel pins.

Other games I'm making are zelda I & ii, metroid yellow, contra, Super C, tetris, Duck Hunt, final fantasy and castlevania

If ya know anyone who would dig em would love a share

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pureretro/8bit-nes-pixel-pins-a-collection-of-retro-game-enamel-pins

#3069 13 days ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

[quoted image]
Got in my mario 1-3 pins for my kickstarter. These are 1" X 1" enamel pins.
Other games I'm making are zelda I & ii, metroid yellow, contra, Super C, tetris, Duck Hunt, final fantasy and castlevania
If ya know anyone who would dig em would love a share
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pureretro/8bit-nes-pixel-pins-a-collection-of-retro-game-enamel-pins

Disapointed you didn't go with Mike Tyson Punch out.

#3070 13 days ago
Quoted from woody24:

Disapointed you didn't go with Mike Tyson Punch out.

Yeah, there are so many games that would be fun to have. I polled backers for the 4 added pins and surprisingly only one punch out write in.

If everything goes smoothly with the rest of the campaign, I'll probably do another set in the future

#3071 8 days ago

About 10 hours of work total for the RGB mod, half of it just reading and trial/error with termination resistor impedance. For the record, mine requires 1.4kΩ termination due to the supposed 1v peak-to-peak requirement of the jungle IC. It also uses 2v for blanking. I don't have a scope, so I can't confirm the exact signal level.

If you have a JVC AV series TV (that uses a D-Series tube) these turn out really nice!

DSC_4651 (resized).JPGDSC_4651 (resized).JPGDSC_4655 (resized).JPGDSC_4655 (resized).JPGDSC_4656 (resized).JPGDSC_4656 (resized).JPGDSC_4657 (resized).JPGDSC_4657 (resized).JPGDSC_4699 (resized).JPGDSC_4699 (resized).JPGDSC_4700 (resized).JPGDSC_4700 (resized).JPGDSC_4701 (resized).JPGDSC_4701 (resized).JPGDSC_4698 (resized).JPGDSC_4698 (resized).JPGDSC_4691 (resized).JPGDSC_4691 (resized).JPGDSC_4674 (resized).JPGDSC_4674 (resized).JPG

#3072 7 days ago

Nice work!

#3073 7 days ago

Thank you! It was fun.

There are 3,073 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 62.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nes-classic-edition-unobtainium/page/62 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.