(Topic ID: 354952)

Need advice about trip to Iceland (northern lights etc..)

By rai

13 days ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 days ago

Hey all,

We wanted to take a trip we've never been to Iceland and wanted to see the Northern lights.

We were thinking around Christmas time, I understand there is not too much daylight, is that a problem should we try to go a month earlier like before Thanksgiving?

Wanted any advice like should we do a tour and how many days is advisable? Wife was wondering if we could just pop in for a few nights and then jet off to London or someplace other for a few days.

Thanks

#2 13 days ago

I did a one day layover in Iceland about 4 years ago on a business trip. 10/10 would do again. I went in May and didn't see the lights, but had a blast.

A couple of key points.

1. Flights are actually pretty cheap. It was $250 one way (4 years ago).
    2. Renting a car and driving there is pretty easy. I rented a cheap car and drove around all day without issue. No traffic, drive on the same side as normal.
    3. Work with you cell phone provider ahead of time for international coverage. Its like $5 or $10 a day if you coordinate ahead of time.
    4. Driving around and looking at moss, mountains, waterfalls, etc. is great fun.
    5. Blue lagoon requires reservations, but its not the only game in town.
    6. Capital city is like 200,000 people with all major sites within walking distance of their cathedral.
    7. You can get some different food only legal there. I had a nice whale steak served over potatoes. 10/10 would recommend.
    8. If you like any of Tom Clancy's stuff, Red Storm Rising was his first non Jack Ryan alternate timeline book. WW3 with Russia, but it prominatly features a dude trekking on foot across iceland roughly from the airport to the main city. Was kind of a neat tie it.
    9. Lots of cool hiking and biking if thats your thing.
    10. Tourist traps are traps and are expensive.

I'd do it again, but would recommend going when the weather is a little nicer. I've had family fly out and do a cruise that stopped in iceland that prominatly featured the Northern Lights if thats you thing.

Good luck!

#3 13 days ago

Northern Lights ? That's what we have attract mode in pinballs for!

Kidding I live in Canada they are really are beautiful to see , have a great visit.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-about-trip-to-iceland-northern-lights-etc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.