• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FBEDE50C-CAE4-4C25-8575-4800BF25F183 (resized).jpeg
FC325DF7-50EC-45A4-8AD5-F91100BA88C7 (resized).jpeg
#1 17 days ago

Could use some help. My shooter 2 hole is not registering when the ball ends up there and machine has to go through all the tests before launching it back into playfield. The lil switch that tells the machine when a ball is in the hole isn’t registering and I think needs replacing. The diagnostic test didn’t offer me much (I got confused which one and what the results were) and can’t find any switch that resembles what I need on any webpages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated of what I should do to fix. I suck at figuring this out without help.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

#2 17 days ago

I don't have my machine or manual in front of me, but in switch test, just depress the switch on the other shooters, it should register, then do the same with shooter 2.

I've almost never had a switch issue that wasn't a broken wire at the switch, a diode on a switch or a loose connection on the idc connect going to the board.
Sometimes the switches get flaky and need to be replaced, but they usually work after a couple presses.

#3 17 days ago

Awesome. Thanks so much. I’ll go back in and play around again with it. Could easily be a loose wire as I moved the machine recently.

Thanks again for quick response. Means a lot.

#4 17 days ago

So I looked in the online manual (maybe i don't have one for this NBA, but this is the second time i've owned it).

If you look at the switch location pic 2-42 2-43, it looks like you may be talking about defender 2.

Then you take that information goto 2-48 on the chart. Go up and and left and J-206 and j-208 are the connectors.
So find J206 on the cpu (skinny tall board) and reseat and press the wires in.
IDC connectors are awful, almost every machine i've owned has been some level of project and so far every machine has had an IDC problem.

On the switch itself, i usually clip out the diode (take a pic for the direction and lugs it goes back on), check the switch contacts for continuity when depressed, then check the diode while it's out, one way on diode test should give you a reading, the other direction should be nothing.
Regardless, once i pull a diode i replace it (i just like to know if it's bad).

I'm not an expert by any means, but i've probably fixed 50 switches over the years without spending any money (other than diodes, but they are like $2 for 100).

#5 17 days ago

Your manual is here:

https://www.ipdb.org/files/4023/Bally_1997_NBA_Fastbreak_Operations_Manual_Final_no_schematics.pdf

On PDF page 104 is the parts diagram for the pass-assembly (2 and 3).

The first thing I look for when a switch isn't working is to see if there is trash blocking the ball from resting on the switch!

So check to see that there isn't a screw, a piece of plastic, a fragment of a piece of rubber in the place where the ball rests.

The next thing I do is to go into switch edges test. I take a ball, and put it in the pass-assembly-2 ball area. It should make a noise, and the little box associated with switch 67 should light up, and stay on as long as the ball is resting on the switch.

If the switch doesn't register, lift the playfield, and look at the pass-assembly-2 assembly. There is a small black microswitch, and it has a wiring harness (two wires) coming off of it. I don't have a machine in front of me, but I believe that the wiring harness goes to a two-pin plug. Check to see that the wires are connected to the switch (not broken off), that the plug isn't unplugged, and that the wires all seem to be in good order.

Black microswitches fail. Not often, but often enough.

You could buy something like this:

https://www.pinballlife.com/microswitch-with-diode.html

The blade assembly pops off of the old switch and onto the new one.

You'll have to solder the wires to the new switch.

Let us know what you find!

#6 17 days ago

Amazing. Thanks so much. I recently got a JP Pro and been playing it so much that the Fastbreak is jealous. Pretty sure that’s why it’s acting up

You are amazing and it’s greatly appreciated. Kids on break next week here in CT so may not get to it for a few days. But I am now armed with the right info to fix it.

Thanks again.

#7 17 days ago

They give very little room to explore under here.

Weeeeeee. I’ll report back after I fix it.

FC325DF7-50EC-45A4-8AD5-F91100BA88C7 (resized).jpegFC325DF7-50EC-45A4-8AD5-F91100BA88C7 (resized).jpeg
#8 14 days ago

Ok. Seems like a finicky switch wiring issue. It was registering (picture) when I first put the ball into position 2 but then stopped registering. Looks like I’m gonna have to find the 2 wires.

Weeeeeee. I’ll figure it out. Appreciate the support.

FBEDE50C-CAE4-4C25-8575-4800BF25F183 (resized).jpegFBEDE50C-CAE4-4C25-8575-4800BF25F183 (resized).jpeg
#9 13 days ago

Most playfield parts on the bottom come out within minutes if not seconds.
Mainly with a 1/4 nut driver.
When switches start to go bad, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
There are also times the metal just needs to be bent again so it depresses the switch.

Personally, i'd remove that assembly and replace the switch and diode.
The wiring underneath the playfield most likely is good or it isn't since it's soldered, if it's a wiring issue usually a wire is broken off or it's at the board connection.

#10 10 days ago

Thanks for the continued support. I’m gonna remove the entire mechanism below shooter lane 2 and see where we stand. When I manually pressed the switch, it didn’t register either (it initially registered with the ball and then stopped). This will be my weekend project and I’ll report back. Thanks again for all the support.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 24.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nba-fastbreak-switch-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.