Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 318 posts
  • 136 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    download_(2)_(resized).jpg
    colordmd_(resized).png
    image_1.jpg
    Peter_Griffin_crack_pipe.jpg
    beer.png
    beer_mask.png
    whole_castle.png
    fire2.png
    fire1.png
    castle.png
    dragon.png
    mask.png
    image.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.31.11_PM.png
    Screen_Shot_2015-08-28_at_9.31.55_PM.png
    There are 318 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 8 years ago

I would like to briefly address Rick’s post relating to the color DMD upgrade and the ensuing concerns voiced by several MMR customers.

Few people, outside of the Chicago Gaming team, have any detailed knowledge of what is being developed. No one, including myself, knows how the product will be priced. We ask that everyone allow us to finish the color upgrade and determine pricing before reacting.

We reluctantly agreed to allow PPS to announce that we had begun development of the color display upgrade because of the great number of customers expressing interest in an eventual color display option.

Our goal is to provide a color display option for MMR that surpasses anything in the marketplace. ColorDMD is a great product but we wanted to take our color display to the next level.

We partnered with Athyrio Games on the project. We choose Athyrio because of the quality of their on staff artists, their programming expertise and their passion for the project.

Chicago Gaming solely funded development of the project with Athyrio working at discounted rates in exchange for a backend royalty. PPS has had no involvement in the design, engineering, or financing of the colorized product. Outside of our team, almost no one (including PPS) has even seen what is in development.

I hope this video will illustrate our team's dedication to making this product amazing. Over two thousand frames have been painstakingly animated to create a display that features four times the number of dots as the original Williams display. This upgrade will be exclusively available on MMR.

We greatly appreciate everyone’s continued support!

Doug Duba
    Chicago Gaming Company

To view video:

#2 8 years ago

1. The video looks amazing.

2. It's probably a bad idea for you to refer to this product as "color dmd".

#3 8 years ago

OMG!!! Nice work Doug! This has blow my expectations out of the water!

#4 8 years ago

SWEEEEET!! What I hoped for. A superior MM game.

I don't blame Rick or whomever had to say there would be colored dots coming, because frankly I don't think a lot of people would have bought an MMR if they could never get a colordmd upgrade and were stuck with something that aesthetically didn't look as good as a modded original.

Yes the words "free upgrade" were thrown around way back when so that is something you'll have to navigate, especially in light of all the delays.

I suggest that any good will shown to MMR owners will come back ten fold on future remake releases now that you have shown that you can create a superior game.

#5 8 years ago

Oh that's gonna be awesome.

#6 8 years ago

That's really cool.... $400 dollars would be cheap!

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Doug_Duba:

Few people, outside of the Chicago Gaming team, have any detailed knowledge of what is being developed. No one, including myself, knows how the product will be priced. We ask that everyone allow us to finish the color upgrade and determine pricing before reacting.

what you want people to be rational????

#8 8 years ago

I love it. Not to break rank, but i would have no problem paying for that, as it clearly represents a good bit of work. My mmr will hopefully show up next week, so if you could just finish it up by then, that would be great (office space boss voice).

#9 8 years ago

Looks great, no-brainer upgrade.

#10 8 years ago

Wow...

Looks awesome.

#12 8 years ago

by the way it looks fantastic, but this is just one more step away from the "it will look and play just like the original" claims. I am not saying this is a bad thing (before people pull out the pitchforks)

#13 8 years ago

Looks amazing and is exactly what I was hoping for. Just come color dots is not worth anything extra to me on this game. A completely upgraded system is though. I'll be interested to see how much it costs and decide if it's worth it at that point. Thanks for the update.

#14 8 years ago

Drool

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from hlazzer:

by the way it looks fantastic, but this is just one more step away from the "it will look and play just like the original" claims. I am not saying this is a bad thing (before people pull out the pitchforks)

That is why this is a mod and doesn't come with the game. Who wants "Original", when you can have that kind of update.

#16 8 years ago

Pretty freaking cool

#17 8 years ago

Amazing work the team did with the upgraded dots.

Sounds like a bunch of miscommunication. Hope MMR owners are happy with this option. I think it looks great and is well worth paying for. But I have no horse in this race and expect tons of bitching from those that do.

The tears will taste divine

#18 8 years ago

I will concede this upgrade is more than just colorized dots, so it is fair to pay for it, since it is beyond remaking the original.

There are ongoing PR issues though that affect this, that it is quite possible when Expo 2015 rolls around there are still people waiting who ordered their MMRs at expo 2013.

#19 8 years ago

Wow. Very nice. Very impressive.

#20 8 years ago

Wow. That's ... wow.

#21 8 years ago

Incredible work! Here are a few before-after screengrabs, as the movie flies by pretty quickly!

Dragon_Before.pngDragon_Before.png

Dragon_After.pngDragon_After.png

MM_before.pngMM_before.png

MM_after.pngMM_after.png

Mob_Before.pngMob_Before.png

Mob_After.pngMob_After.png

Peasants_Before.pngPeasants_Before.png

Peasants_After.pngPeasants_After.png

#22 8 years ago

I wonder if there will be different dot & resolution settings? This really kicked this game up a notch...

#23 8 years ago

Thank you for the post and explanation and more importantly, addressing your customer base.

As for the video. Holy shit that's sweet. Up until now, I have been ambivalent to the remake, preferring the original. This is the equalizer and actually could compel me to seek out an mmr to own. Kudos.

#24 8 years ago

I guess this sets the bar for future versions of color-DMD as well!

#25 8 years ago

Funny how the fonts are still low res dots. Maybe that's to keep a touch of the old school flavor with it.

#26 8 years ago

Wow, that is impressive.

#27 8 years ago

That looks freakin awesome!

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

Funny how the fonts are still low res dots. Maybe that's to keep a touch of the old school flavor with it.

I think its a good design choice.

#29 8 years ago

Simply amazing!

One has to wonder if ColorDMD will ever quadruple their dots and make 16-bit looking frames. I don't see why not. They have already pulled blood from stone, and their platform surely can handle it. It would just take me, methinks.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nepi23:

No, it really doesn't. ColorDMD just applies color to the existing display - it doesn't sub in new assets as this (apparently) does.

#31 8 years ago

holy crap! original MM just dropped $1k in value

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

It is still a work in progress - I would assume they can replace the fonts with higher res versions just as they've done with the art so far. Maybe they won't, though.

#33 8 years ago

Congrats to MMR owners , I hope this makes you feel good about your purchase. There's been a lot of negative shit slinging about this project...

#34 8 years ago

Colour dmd screen shots for comparison

image.jpgimage.jpg
    image_1.jpgimage_1.jpg

#35 8 years ago

It's like we jumped from original black & white game boy to Super Nintendo.

#36 8 years ago

So much for the argument that the original MM is somehow better.

Meet the new king !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Simply amazing!
    One has to wonder if ColorDMD will ever quadruple their dots and make 16-bit looking frames. I don't see why not. They have already pulled blood from stone, and their platform surely can handle it. It would just take me, methinks.

This isn't just 4x dots - this is all re-drawn artwork that was done with 4x the dots. Rarehero's screenshots make that pretty clear.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nepi23:

doubt it, colorDMD has to use the existing systems video output.

#39 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I was thinking Apple II to the Commodore Amiga...

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

This isn't just 4x dots - this is all re-drawn artwork that was done with 4x the dots. Rarehero's screenshots make that pretty clear.

The video says "original artwork".

#41 8 years ago

Teekee just shit his pants.

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

No, it really doesn't. ColorDMD just applies color to the existing display - it doesn't sub in new assets as this (apparently) does.

Yes, I meant that perhaps color-DMD should as well in the future bring in new assets as well. I guess then they should be licensed and they might have difficulties in receiving the license... In any case, this sets a new bar for color-DMD:s.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from Nepi23:

Only if someone hacks it themselves.

Color DMD is not allowed to alter the actual frames.

#44 8 years ago

As for being a free vs. paid upgrade - I personally still think it should be free. I realize you have to pay the artists - and I'm ALL for artists getting paid...but I feel like you'll sell more MMr's (and future titles) if every MMr has access to this feature.

If all 1000 LE owners have the Color graphics installed for free - not only is that a nice gesture for those who have been patiently waiting for their orders, there will be a lot of positive word of mouth and exposure to other pinball fans (whether it be on location or in home collections)...and I truly believe this incredible color work will become a great advertisement to sell more machines.

If it's a paid upgrade, you can't assume everyone will buy it (price will determine purchase ratio, of course)...then only a fraction of the people will enjoy it or be exposed to it. Game sales may suffer.

I think if CGC and PPS can pay out of pocket for the artists' work and let it become a "added value" selling point - it will result in bigger profits down the line than collecting payments for upgrades would. *ALL* current owners will sing praises of the game and CGC/PPS's work and support...more games are sold - EVERYONE benefits.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

The video says "original artwork".

They re-created all the frames of the original artwork at a higher resolution. It's not as if WMS had this stuff laying around at a higher resolution they could just use. The game company CGC hired basically used the original dots as a base to re-create every frame.

Edit: Funny aside, I've been considering doing the same thing with CCC for some time, I just don't have the artistic skills to pull off the redraw at a level I'm happy with, nor do I know any artists that would do it for free

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

They re-created all the frames of the original artwork at a higher resolution. It's not as if WMS had this stuff laying around at a higher resolution they could just use. The game company CGC hired basically used the original dots as a base to re-create every frame.

You're right. I re-watched the video. I misread it as saying "same artwork".

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I love it - I'm glad it's still "retro" ...it feels new and fresh while still feeling "pinball". I also like that the scores are still old dot sizes.

#48 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

That is why this is a mod and doesn't come with the game. Who wants "Original", when you can have that kind of update.

Many people do, many don't. It depends on who the buyer is. I love how this looks, but I still like the original better (actually colorDMD) since it retains the original art. Yes, my MM colorDMD is not set to upscale, 8bit, squares, etc even though its available.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

Teekee just shit his pants.

Somebody better go check on him , make sure he's not sucking on the barrel of a 45.

#50 8 years ago

I was seriously considering selling my undelivered MMr.

Not anymore!

I sure hope this doesn't cost us LE buyers an arm and a leg.

There are 318 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-color-dmd-sneak-peek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.