(Topic ID: 289487)

Meteor 2021 - new code for Stern Meteor (1979)

By DickHamill

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 649 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by DickHamill
  • Topic is favorited by 115 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0957 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpg
IMG_0956 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpg
IMG_7769 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0663 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2445 (resized).jpg
IMG_2444 (resized).jpg
IMG_5196 (resized).jpg
IMG_5188 (resized).jpg
20230731_220626 (resized).jpg
20230731_220626 (resized).jpg
IMG_4380 (resized).jpg
IMG_4379 (resized).jpg
IMG_4378 (resized).jpg
IMG_0960 (resized).jpg
BaseRollover (resized).jpeg
20230424_194610 (resized).jpg
There are 649 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.
#601 6 months ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Just wanted to give another shout-out to DickHamill on his fabulous 2021 Code Update for Meteor. I took my restored Meteor with this code to the Rocky Mountain Pinball Festival and had a blast. My Meteor was very popular with the crowd with just under 500 plays. The audio REALLY stood out....as anyone who's been to a pinball show can tell you, it's next to impossible to hear the pin you're playing when 200 other pins are going on at the same time. With the wav trigger board hooked up to an amp for driving the "topper" speaker pair, you could hear my Meteor practically from across the venue room. Very immersive!
Anyway - thanks again DickHamill for this code update. While I was meticulous in restoring my Meteor, I know your mod was a large reason for me taking home a few awards:
2nd Place: Best 80's Pinball Machine
2nd Place: Best Restoration
2nd Place: Best in Show
[quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats! Well-deserved awards -- you've done a great job with that one!

#602 6 months ago
Quoted from realgatormike:

Hey all!
I'm relatively new to the forum. Recently upgraded my Meteor to the last Meteor 2023 code (thank you DickHamill for the fantastic code update!).
I wanted to post about my setup in case it is helpful for anyone else thinking about doing the upgrade.
I am a huge Meteor fan and was originally not sure if it was worth it. I can absolutely say that the upgrade is amazing and not hard to install yourself. The new rules are super fun and the sounds absolutely slap. Do not hesitate. Just do it.
I bought the arduino kit from RoyGBev (links below). They did a great job of putting the kit together. Instructions were clear and fairly straightforward to install. I have Altek boards in my Meteor and the kit installed without any issues.
I went with roygbev because they offer a remote switch that you can purchase and place near the coin door to easily switch between the original 1979 code and the new 2023 code. Although now after doing the upgrade, I think it is rare that we will want to switch back to the original code.
For sounds, I originally was planning on using the cabinet speaker for the new Meteor 2023 code. Roygbev sells a cable for you to wire the wav trigger sound board to the Stern sound board. This worked fine, but I didn't love the quality of the voice sounds from the cabinet speaker. The music/beeps sounded good but the voice was kind of muddy.
Instead, I installed a Vizio 2.1 soundbar and wireless subwoofer combo. I've been a big fan of this upgrade and would recommend it. I purchased the Vizio V21 model V214x-K6 (amazon link below). This is a 30" wide soundbar that I placed on top of the backbox. I picked this model because the 30" width of the soundbar matches the width of the Meteor backbox and its only 2" tall. I know placing speakers on top of the backbox is divisive to some, but I like the look on my machine (pics below). The sub is wireless and didn't require any registration with the soundbar. It just worked. The remote is also nice and allows you to change the EQ, volume, treble, and bass from the remote and keep the remote behind the coin door. I read others had issues with soundbars going to sleep or a delay at startup. I haven't seen any issues with the soundbar going to sleep, but there might be a few seconds of delay when initially turning on the soundbar.
My connections: I have my Meteor and soundbar plugged into a common smart surge protector. I went with the Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip HS300 (amazon link below). It is Alexa enabled and really easy to use. Each plug port acts as its own smart plug, which made grouping easy with voice activation. The soundbar is connected to the wav trigger sound board by a standard 3.5 mm audio cable. It was easy to snake the audio cable through a vent hole in the backbox to the wav trigger sound board. I placed the subwoofer inside the cabinet and have the sub plugged into the service power plug in the cabinet. Because I use a common smart surge protector, turning off the group by voice commands also turns off the sub. If you don't use a switch like this or rewire the service plug to the Meteor transformer, I understand that the service plug would otherwise stay on when you turn off the machine. I didn't want this to happen, so the smart plug was my workaround.
Links:
Roygbev kit on pinside:
Arduino kit:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball/05290-meteor2021-arduino-complete-and-ready-to-use
Audio cable to use the Meteor cabinet speaker for sounds:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball/09404-audio-cable-wav-trigger-to-sb-300
Remote switch:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball/09120-remote-switch-kit-for-rev1-and-rev3-arduino-adapters
Vizio V21 soundbar on amazon (there are three different model sizes, make sure you get the 30" model V214x-K6 if you want it to match the Meteor backbox width):
https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Compact-Theater-Sound-Virtual/dp/B09ZHJKLSM/
Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip HS300 on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G95FFN3

This is an excellent writeup and will likely be exactly what I do when I go to finally get the update installed on mine, thanks!

1 week later
#603 6 months ago

Hello everyone. This is an awesome mod! I need some help with changing some of the sound effects. I've tried to swap a few with custom sounds, but none of them are working. I did convert them to .wav at 44.1khz. I titled them with the appropriate line #, for instance .090_Ultraman. Any idea why they are not working? Mine is Rev.3. Thanks!

Norman

#604 6 months ago
Quoted from KYpinhead:

Hello everyone. This is an awesome mod! I need some help with changing some of the sound effects. I've tried to swap a few with custom sounds, but none of them are working. I did convert them to .wav at 44.1khz. I titled them with the appropriate line #, for instance .090_Ultraman. Any idea why they are not working? Mine is Rev.3. Thanks!
Norman

Did you replace an existing sound with one named exactly the same? When you converted them did you make them Stereo/Mono? The WAV trigger is very particular about the WAV files. If you didn't convert it exactly in the format it wants then that is probably the problem. I ran into that early on. Did not like Stereo WAV files. I used Audicity to convert. Think I made boih channels the same. It has been a while but I was able to convert any WAV file to one the WAV trigger would accept. If the file is named the same as the asset it replaced on the WAV trigger and not working then you have a conversion problem and it is in the way the way the WAV trigger is trying to play it.

#605 6 months ago

Okay, I did change the name from background to Ultraman, I didn't think that would matter. I was told they have to be stereo, are you saying they need to be mono? Thanks.

#606 6 months ago
Quoted from KYpinhead:

Okay, I did change the name from background to Ultraman, I didn't think that would matter. I was told they have to be stereo, are you saying they need to be mono? Thanks.

The software says to play a WZV file by number. If you want to call something else you just replace a file with the exact same name file or you edit the source code and recompile to use the new number of the new WAV file. Just making a copy of the original WAV file then replacing it is far easier than any other method.

Here is the manual for the WAV trigger:

https://cdn.sparkfun.com/assets/1/c/9/a/9/WT_UserGuide_20230114.pdf

It has been a while since I had to convert sounds. Thinking about it what I had to do was if there was mono sounds I had to edit those and duplicate them to make them Stereo. Same sounds on both the right and left channel. I think the Stero sounds were ok as long at the proper speed/format.

If everything else is working but one sound won't play then it is either named wrong or not formatted correctly.

#607 6 months ago

I appreciate it. I’ll try using the original name tonight and report back.

#608 6 months ago

The other thing is to make sure you have no meta data in your file at all. Some programs sneak something in and the WAVTrigger won’t play the file. Stereo tracks are fine. If using Audacity it pops up a window to show you the metadata and you blank it all out before saving.

#609 6 months ago

Thanks, I'll check that. Using the original name had no effect, still not working.

#610 6 months ago

The program I was using was the problem. Audacity worked like a charm! Thanks guys.

#611 6 months ago

Just installed this awesome mod!
Only thing is it's not showing the number of spins in de credit display.
Only credits remaining...
It's rev4 board.
It's this a dip switch setting (20) ?

#612 6 months ago

We just reconditioned a Meteor game for a customer and added this kit. Purchased full kit and harnesses ready to go here on Pinside. Easy install, makes a good game great!

Highly recommend.

#613 6 months ago
Quoted from fantomas:

Just installed this awesome mod!
Only thing is it's not showing the number of spins in de credit display.
Only credits remaining...
It's rev4 board.
It's this a dip switch setting (20) ?

Number of spins only shows up / changes during "unstructured" play (not in a meteor shower or orpheus). I think I have it on a timer so that it reverts to credits after a bit.

2 weeks later
#614 6 months ago

Hello fellow Meteor fans. I just tried to upload the latest version of the code (Shows as Major Revision 10) and it did not work on my machine. I reverted back to Revision 9 and all is well. I run the Mega 2560 board (build by RoyGBev) and the full set of Alltek boards (MPU, Solenoid and Lamp).
Not sure if anyone else has tried or is having issues -- but thought I would alert everyone. Good think I had the prior version saved to my laptop!!

#615 6 months ago
Quoted from mandelbe:

Hello fellow Meteor fans. I just tried to upload the latest version of the code (Shows as Major Revision 10) and it did not work on my machine. I reverted back to Revision 9 and all is well. I run the Mega 2560 board (build by RoyGBev) and the full set of Alltek boards (MPU, Solenoid and Lamp).
Not sure if anyone else has tried or is having issues -- but thought I would alert everyone. Good think I had the prior version saved to my laptop!!

Do you have the proper board revision selected in RPU_config.h ?
(the default is now 4 -- do you have an older Rev?)

// Plug-in board architectures (0-99 is for J5, 100-199 is for CPU socket)
// Hardware Rev 1 generally uses an Arduino Nano & (optional) 74125
// Hardware Rev 2 uses an Arduino Nano, a 74155, and a 74240
// Hardware Rev 3 uses a MEGA 2560 Pro, and nothing else
// Hardware Rev 4 uses a MEGA 2560 Pro (all the pins) on a larger board (display & WIFI)
// Hardware Rev 100 (different order of magnitude because it's a different approach) plugs into the CPU socket
// Hardware Rev 101 - first RPU CPU interposer release board
// Hardware Rev 102 - second RPU (with display and WIFI socket)
#define RPU_OS_HARDWARE_REV 4

#616 6 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Do you have the proper board revision selected in RPU_config.h ?
(the default is now 4 -- do you have an older Rev?)
// Plug-in board architectures (0-99 is for J5, 100-199 is for CPU socket)
// Hardware Rev 1 generally uses an Arduino Nano & (optional) 74125
// Hardware Rev 2 uses an Arduino Nano, a 74155, and a 74240
// Hardware Rev 3 uses a MEGA 2560 Pro, and nothing else
// Hardware Rev 4 uses a MEGA 2560 Pro (all the pins) on a larger board (display & WIFI)
// Hardware Rev 100 (different order of magnitude because it's a different approach) plugs into the CPU socket
// Hardware Rev 101 - first RPU CPU interposer release board
// Hardware Rev 102 - second RPU (with display and WIFI socket)
#define RPU_OS_HARDWARE_REV 4

Hi Dick,
Yes — I modified to “3” as I have a MEGA 2560

#617 6 months ago
Quoted from mandelbe:

Hi Dick,
Yes — I modified to “3” as I have a MEGA 2560

Huh. That was my best guess for a quick fix...
What's the behavior? You turn it on and nothing happens (no sounds, lamps, or displays)?
Does it boot to original without the switch (or jumper) closed?

#618 6 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Huh. That was my best guess for a quick fix...
What's the behavior? You turn it on and nothing happens (no sounds, lamps, or displays)?
Does it boot to original without the switch (or jumper) closed?

Hi Dick,
Yes -- boots to the original code just fine and working fine with Revision 9 (from June/July?).
It boots with the Revision 10 code -- makes some odd sounds and then, after ball launch, tilts almost immediately and shuts down (no tilt warnings which I get normally)

#619 5 months ago
Quoted from mandelbe:

Hi Dick,
Yes -- boots to the original code just fine and working fine with Revision 9 (from June/July?).
It boots with the Revision 10 code -- makes some odd sounds and then, after ball launch, tilts almost immediately and shuts down (no tilt warnings which I get normally)

I'm sure you would rather not upload broken code again, but any chance you could make me a video of the behavior? Sometimes video points me in the right direction...

#620 5 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

I'm sure you would rather not upload broken code again, but any chance you could make me a video of the behavior? Sometimes video points me in the right direction...

I'll find time over the next few days. Thanks, Dick.

#621 5 months ago
Quoted from mandelbe:

I'll find time over the next few days. Thanks, Dick.

Hi DickHamill

Well, some odd occurrences. You may want to pour a glass of wine.
I uploaded the Rev 10 code again. Had my video running as I turned on the machine. Turned on fine. Hit the credit button. All fine. Played a game. All fine. So I'm thinking that maybe my last upload was corrupted? But I decide to turn the machine off and then back on. I get lights but no boot. So I try again. Same. Reload the Rev 9 code. Runs fine. Turned it off and back on. Runs fine. Runs fine on the base code in all scenarios. And I've been running Rev 9 since July/August with no issues.
Frankly the only reason I was looking to upgrade was to eliminate an anomaly that showed up in Rev 9 where the Rocket1, Rocket2 and Rocket3 sounds seem to repeat after a hit. Kinda annoying but I got used to it. Obviously I could also just edit those sounds to be silent and that would fix it as well so not too annoying. But I did notice in my one play of Rev 10 that the problem was eliminated.

Happy to do other testing. To remind you, I'm runing new Alltek boards throughout and a RoyGBev Rev 3 board.

Thanks so much!
Brian

2 months later
#622 3 months ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I just ordered a prototype of a MPU where a Mega 2560 PRO can plug right into a dedicated socket in the top right area. I think Dick and I have all the issues worked out. Because the 6802 CPU behaves a bit differently than the 6800 we will need to pull out the U9 processor to use the Arduino, but we should not have to remove the Arduino to use the CPU (ARD DISABLED jumper). I had to add some clock circuitry as well. Fingers crossed, but I think it is going to work.
[quoted image]

Was this solution resolved? I have the newer Weebly MPU and the Meteor2021 setup, but the game will not load. I get flashing inserts and single flashing digits on the 4 score displays.

IMG_0663 (resized).jpegIMG_0663 (resized).jpeg
#623 3 months ago
Quoted from realgatormike:

Hey all!
I'm relatively new to the forum. Recently upgraded my Meteor to the last Meteor 2023 code (thank you DickHamill for the fantastic code update!).
I wanted to post about my setup in case it is helpful for anyone else thinking about doing the upgrade.
I am a huge Meteor fan and was originally not sure if it was worth it. I can absolutely say that the upgrade is amazing and not hard to install yourself. The new rules are super fun and the sounds absolutely slap. Do not hesitate. Just do it.
I bought the arduino kit from RoyGBev (links below). They did a great job of putting the kit together. Instructions were clear and fairly straightforward to install. I have Altek boards in my Meteor and the kit installed without any issues.
I went with roygbev because they offer a remote switch that you can purchase and place near the coin door to easily switch between the original 1979 code and the new 2023 code. Although now after doing the upgrade, I think it is rare that we will want to switch back to the original code.
For sounds, I originally was planning on using the cabinet speaker for the new Meteor 2023 code. Roygbev sells a cable for you to wire the wav trigger sound board to the Stern sound board. This worked fine, but I didn't love the quality of the voice sounds from the cabinet speaker. The music/beeps sounded good but the voice was kind of muddy.
Instead, I installed a Vizio 2.1 soundbar and wireless subwoofer combo. I've been a big fan of this upgrade and would recommend it. I purchased the Vizio V21 model V214x-K6 (amazon link below). This is a 30" wide soundbar that I placed on top of the backbox. I picked this model because the 30" width of the soundbar matches the width of the Meteor backbox and its only 2" tall. I know placing speakers on top of the backbox is divisive to some, but I like the look on my machine (pics below). The sub is wireless and didn't require any registration with the soundbar. It just worked. The remote is also nice and allows you to change the EQ, volume, treble, and bass from the remote and keep the remote behind the coin door. I read others had issues with soundbars going to sleep or a delay at startup. I haven't seen any issues with the soundbar going to sleep, but there might be a few seconds of delay when initially turning on the soundbar.
My connections: I have my Meteor and soundbar plugged into a common smart surge protector. I went with the Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip HS300 (amazon link below). It is Alexa enabled and really easy to use. Each plug port acts as its own smart plug, which made grouping easy with voice activation. The soundbar is connected to the wav trigger sound board by a standard 3.5 mm audio cable. It was easy to snake the audio cable through a vent hole in the backbox to the wav trigger sound board. I placed the subwoofer inside the cabinet and have the sub plugged into the service power plug in the cabinet. Because I use a common smart surge protector, turning off the group by voice commands also turns off the sub. If you don't use a switch like this or rewire the service plug to the Meteor transformer, I understand that the service plug would otherwise stay on when you turn off the machine. I didn't want this to happen, so the smart plug was my workaround.
Links:
Roygbev kit on pinside:
Arduino kit:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball/05290-meteor2021-arduino-complete-and-ready-to-use
Audio cable to use the Meteor cabinet speaker for sounds:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball/09404-audio-cable-wav-trigger-to-sb-300
Remote switch:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball/09120-remote-switch-kit-for-rev1-and-rev3-arduino-adapters
Vizio V21 soundbar on amazon (there are three different model sizes, make sure you get the 30" model V214x-K6 if you want it to match the Meteor backbox width):
https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Compact-Theater-Sound-Virtual/dp/B09ZHJKLSM/
Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip HS300 on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G95FFN3

On that model soundbar when powering on everything does the soundboard auto detect power and turn on or do you to use the remote?

#624 3 months ago
Quoted from CraigJam:

Was this solution resolved? I have the newer Weebly MPU and the Meteor2021 setup, but the game will not load. I get flashing inserts and single flashing digits on the 4 score displays.
[quoted image]

Yes arduino works.

You cannot use those J5 breakout boards. The Arduino directly plugs into the replacement MPU using the socket in the top right area. The processor I am using is unable to Z-state the entire address/data bus like the original 6800 can, so it has to come off the board. That also means no dual boot. What you need to do is....

Remove that J5 arduino breakout board adapter.

Remove the U9 CPU chip.

Move both jumpers from 6802 to ARDUINO (near the ardunio socket, top right area).

Plug in your programmed arduino directly into the box female socket in the top right area of the board.

#625 3 months ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Yes arduino works.
You cannot use those J5 breakout boards. The Arduino directly plugs into the replacement MPU using the socket in the top right area. The processor I am using is unable to Z-state the entire address/data bus like the original 6800 can, so it has to come off the board. That also means no dual boot. What you need to do is....
Remove that J5 arduino breakout board adapter.
Remove the U9 CPU chip.
Move both jumpers from 6802 to ARDUINO (near the ardunio socket, top right area).
Plug in your programmed arduino directly into the box female socket in the top right area of the board.

The picture that CraigJam posted looks like it has a Male header soldered in the upper right. Was that intended to be a box female socket?

#626 3 months ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

The picture that CraigJam posted looks like it has a Male header soldered in the upper right. Was that intended to be a box female socket?

I don't think that connector was really ever set as a standard. On all the Arduino MEGA 2650 boards I put male headers on them and put the female sockets on the carrier or motherboard. Opposite of what is on the Weekly board.

#627 3 months ago

oh geeze, it looks like that one got assembled with the wrong gender on the arduino socket.. i normally put a female header on the mpu board. I can send you a female box header to put on an arduino or if you send me the board I can swap male pins for female socket.

#628 3 months ago

Hey Dickhamill,

Installed the new code with the Arduino and the wave trigger on Meteor, all good and working great.
No problems at all but I have a question/suggestion, recently I swapped out the playfield for a brand new one and installed Yoppsicles for the switch lamps.
I think the attract mode lighting is fantastic and suspect it was designed with incandescent lamps in mind as it should.

When using Yoppsicle LED's, the attract mode lighting effects are running very fast and I would like to better appreciate the light show.
Is there any way a user like me can slow the attract mode lamp cycling speed down a little for the use of LED's?

#629 3 months ago
Quoted from pintuck:

Hey Dickhamill,
Installed the new code with the Arduino and the wave trigger on Meteor, all good and working great.
No problems at all but I have a question/suggestion, recently I swapped out the playfield for a brand new one and installed Yoppsicles for the switch lamps.
I think the attract mode lighting is fantastic and suspect it was designed with incandescent lamps in mind as it should.
When using Yoppsicle LED's, the attract mode lighting effects are running very fast and I would like to better appreciate the light show.
Is there any way a user like me can slow the attract mode lamp cycling speed down a little for the use of LED's?

I'd like to see a video of what you're seeing. On some games I show "dim" lamps by pulsing them on/off. That can make some LEDs flicker. Aside from that, there's nothing in the code that changes the speed of animations based on lamp type. But there are some code tweaks that could avoid different artifacts. Long-winded way of say, "Post a video and maybe I can point you in the right direction."

2 weeks later
#630 74 days ago

Is it possible to use the existing cabinet speaker with the Meteor 2021/2023 mod kit? I would rather not mess with an extra set of speakers (internal or external). I think it would make for a much cleaner build. I thought that the use of an audio switch might work, but not sure. Must the WAV trigger board use amplified speakers?

Thank you,
Willie

#631 74 days ago
Quoted from Willie68:

Is it possible to use the existing cabinet speaker with the Meteor 2021/2023 mod kit? I would rather not mess with an extra set of speakers (internal or external). I think it would make for a much cleaner build. I thought that the use of an audio switch might work, but not sure. Must the WAV trigger board use amplified speakers?
Thank you,
Willie

Yes - there are instructions from SlapDrain earlier in the thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-2021-new-code-for-stern-meteor-1979/page/8#post-6937416

#632 74 days ago
#633 74 days ago

Played this at a friends house and it was amazing!

#634 68 days ago
Quoted from Willie68:

Thank you,
Willie

lol I came here to ask this too. Besides that, my main reason for finding the code update, I was mainly just looking for a way to turn off the constant tone it has from the factory, even if it meant a new sound board. I like the idea of the new code, but I still havent done it on my Galaxy either, but on galaxy you can turn off the constant tone.

#635 68 days ago

The meteor drone is part of the appeal.... and the way they wrote the code it's integrated you would have to recreate all the sounds to get rid of it.

Might not be too hard since the end of a sound jumps to the background sound but would mean duplicate sounds or a change in the sound engine to allow a dip switch check.

#636 68 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

The meteor drone is part of the appeal....

100%

When I first played meteor i thought the background audio was a terrible joke and couldn’t believe someone sent it out factory like that.

But the more and more i play the game i actually think its genius. It totally raises the tension of the game and its pretty easy to get an idea of how someone is doing on their ball by just listening.

Respect the drone!

#637 66 days ago

Ok thanks. Just thought I’d ask since literally the next year, the constant tone background sound was an option you could turn off with a dip switch. So I guess somebody at stern thought it was a good idea. lol

#638 66 days ago

Meteor was the first sb300 and mpu200 game - so all new to them... Probably did not realize that people would want the option to turn it off. Realized it in Galaxy for sure. I do have meteor's original code on my list to revisit again and update with the new style 7 digit code I already used in Galaxy and Ali.

The same droning sound is odd in Ali if I had an Ali I'd probably turn it off or replace it. It's more space-y than box-y.

#639 66 days ago

When I did the 7 digit displays in my Galaxy, it was a choice, 7 digit or new code. I chose 7 digit. Now I’ve heard (but need to look into) I can do the updated code with my weebly MPU and have both? So that will be nice if true. My meteor still has all original boards and displays, so I need to look into that as well, I’d like to do 7 digit displays on it, and would also like new code option if I can have both. I’ve had Galaxy for awhile, just now getting my own meteor. I’ve been putting it off since my local place I do league at has a meteor I play weekly. First things first, I need to finish going through it, and at least do all the control lamps in Yoppsicles (I have hundreds in bins) and get rid of all these faulty sockets… maybe this weekend lol

#640 66 days ago

The new arduino code can drive 7 digits displays as well.

#641 62 days ago

Well I had some time this morning to do all the yoppsicles while the guys were here doing new carpet. MPU and 7 digit displays still in the mail.

IMG_7769 (resized).jpegIMG_7769 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#642 31 days ago

Could anyone provide me detailed pictures/description of connecting the 2 audio cables (both ends)? I have an Altek board with the Arduino kit. I have been able to get the game to boot the new code, but I don't get any sound. Since there are a couple extra pins, I don't know which of the cables connects where and how to align with the pins. Any assistance would be great.

Thanks!

#643 31 days ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Could anyone provide me detailed pictures/description of connecting the 2 audio cables (both ends)? I have an Altek board with the Arduino kit. I have been able to get the game to boot the new code, but I don't get any sound. Since there are a couple extra pins, I don't know which of the cables connects where and how to align with the pins. Any assistance would be great.
Thanks!

I sold my Meteor late last year so I can't take any on-demand pix, but I have these leftover from my restoration if they are of any help.

IMG_0956 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpgIMG_0956 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpgIMG_0957 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpgIMG_0957 - ANNOTATED (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#644 15 days ago

It’s been a minute since I’ve messed with my game, but how do you set the game on coin play versus just starting a game by pressing the credit button under the right coin chute?

#645 15 days ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

It’s been a minute since I’ve messed with my game, but how do you set the game on coin play versus just starting a game by pressing the credit button under the right coin chute?

That is not an option in Meteor, as far as I'm aware. You drop a coin in, the credits go up, and you have to his start to start the game.

#646 14 days ago

The issue is it's starting a game with no credits by pressing the start button. Wondering if it is an issue with the code or some setting that I'm missing.

#647 14 days ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

The issue is it's starting a game with no credits by pressing the start button. Wondering if it is an issue with the code or some setting that I'm missing.

Check your wiring. Sometimes people tie the two switches together to set it on free play

#648 14 days ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

how do you set the game on coin play

Is your question related to the Meteor 2021 code or factory game code? Post a clear picture of your MPU board setup.

#649 14 days ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

Assuming you're referring to the new code, there is a coin door setting for Free Play versus requiring credits. There have been several versions of the code and the setting number (how many times you hit the service button inside the coin door) depends on which version is flashed on your machine. If it has been a minute since it was set up, I would hit the service button until you see an "11" in the BIP/credits display and then see if it changes between 0 and 1 in the player 1 display when you hit the Credit/Reset button (start game button). If it does, 0 is coin credits, and 1 is Free Play.
If you have latest code for whatever reason, the list of settings is here:
https://github.com/RetroPinUpgrade/MeteorStrike2023

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 3.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 10.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 649 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meteor-2021-new-code-for-stern-meteor-1979/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.