(Topic ID: 353786)

Love at first sight? And ownership diary.

By AMartin56

36 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 days ago by AMartin56
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240328_193922673 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240328_193908930 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240328_193914473.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20240328_193856800.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20240322_225150644 (resized).jpg
#1 36 days ago

I realize it's literally early 'day' (rather than 'days' since I've only had my Weird Al for about 16 hours) but I love this thing so far.

Let me get this out of the way....I love my Sterns too. But they started to feel a bit same -y. And with Stern I've had too many QC issues out of the box lately so my desire to buy more is at an all time low.

I wanted something fresh for my game room. From a second manufacturer. Elton was fun but too expensive. And collecting outfits didn't seem like Steve Ritchie pinball to me. I like what Spooky is doing with Looney Tunes but I didn't entirely feel like it was ready for prime time having played it at TPF. And when I last considered Multimorphic a year ago base cabinets had a twelve month lead time. I'm addicted to instant gratification (I'm quite the baby about it actually...ask my wife) so I'd probably die if I had ordered a P3 and had to wait. And ultimately I like to play before I buy and until this last TPF I hadn't played one..

Then I found out at TPF that base systems with anything prior to Final Resistance are in stock and ready to go within days. My wallet was no longer safe....

Two quick disclaimers:

I should mention that I'm not opposed to virtual pinball. I like them in a collection with 'real' machines. Kind of like a pinball museum in single cabinet...so the transition to the P3 was probably easier for me than most.

I'm not a huge Weird Al fan. But it shocked me that this module lost to Rush in the TWIPYs last year and it was fun to play at TPF so why not? And Multimorphic seems to be one of the only companies taking real risks when it comes to providing mechanical toys that interact with the ball.

So far I love this thing. It's a real machine! Built better than a Stern! With a lot of nice little touches design wise. Last but not least the on switch is where it belongs LOL.

And Al so far is a really fun module. I love the ball feed out of the left orbit and how it lessens the learning curve of using a second button for the top left flipper. The orbits are fast and fun and I love the horseshoe shot. And while it's hard to describe why, the pacing of gameplay on the P3 makes me want to try and play more methodically... something I find difficult/ no fun on my Sterns.

It's not perfect (this thing is heavy!....the menus confused me a bit at first) and it...being a pinball machine....could break tomorrow (I've heard the horror stories). But so did my more traditional Sterns and I got over the trouble they gave me and still enjoy them. But I'm looking forward to the versatility the P3 provides with a limited space commitment and I'm excited about pinball again.

Final Resistance is on order. And I'd love to have Heist (maybe after I find a new job LOL). Hopefully the fun continues for a long time...

PXL_20240322_225150644 (resized).jpgPXL_20240322_225150644 (resized).jpg

#2 36 days ago
Quoted from AMartin56:

I realize it's literally early 'day' (rather than 'days' since I've only had my Weird Al for about 16 hours) but I love this thing so far.
Let me get this out of the way....I love my Sterns too. But they started to feel a bit same -y. And with Stern I've had too many QC issues out of the box lately so my desire to buy more is at an all time low.
I wanted something fresh for my game room. From a second manufacturer. Elton was fun but too expensive. And collecting outfits didn't seem like Steve Ritchie pinball to me. I like what Spooky is doing with Looney Tunes but I didn't entirely feel like it was ready for prime time having played it at TPF. And when I last considered Multimorphic a year ago base cabinets had a twelve month lead time. I'm addicted to instant gratification (I'm quite the baby about it actually...ask my wife) so I'd probably die if I had ordered a P3 and had to wait. And ultimately I like to play before I buy and until this last TPF I hadn't played one..
Then I found out at TPF that base systems with anything prior to Final Resistance are in stock and ready to go within days. My wallet was no longer safe....
Two quick disclaimers:
I should mention that I'm not opposed to virtual pinball. I like them in a collection with 'real' machines. Kind of like a pinball museum in single cabinet...so the transition to the P3 was probably easier for me than most.
I'm not a huge Weird Al fan. But it shocked me that this module lost to Rush in the TWIPYs last year and it was fun to play at TPF so why not? And Multimorphic seems to be one of the only companies taking real risks when it comes to providing mechanical toys that interact with the ball.
So far I love this thing. It's a real machine! Built better than a Stern! With a lot of nice little touches design wise. Last but not least the on switch is where it belongs LOL.
And Al so far is a really fun module. I love the ball feed out of the left orbit and how it lessens the learning curve of using a second button for the top left flipper. The orbits are fast and fun and I love the horseshoe shot. And while it's hard to describe why, the pacing of gameplay on the P3 makes me want to try and play more methodically... something I find difficult/ no fun on my Sterns.
It's not perfect (this thing is heavy!....the menus confused me a bit at first) and it...being a pinball machine....could break tomorrow (I've heard the horror stories). But so did my more traditional Sterns and I got over the trouble they gave me and still enjoy them. But I'm looking forward to the versatility the P3 provides with a limited space commitment and I'm excited about pinball again.
Final Resistance is on order. And I'd love to have Heist (maybe after I find a new job LOL). Hopefully the fun continues for a long time...
[quoted image]

Glad you like it!

I really enjoyed my P3 when it was working. I thought Weird Al was Fantastic (dream theme) and really enjoyed the gameplay on Heist. Didn't care for the base CCR game. But let me tell you a little secret about pinball. If you have something you like that others don't care for... it just means that you have less competition for the goodies. Play the crap out of it and run with those scissors.

#3 36 days ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Glad you like it!
I really enjoyed my P3 when it was working. I thought Weird Al was Fantastic (dream theme) and really enjoyed the gameplay on Heist. Didn't care for the base CCR game. But let me tell you a little secret about pinball. If you have something you like that others don't care for... it just means that you have less competition for the goodies. Play the crap out of it and run with those scissors.

I get it. Yours is definitely one of the 'horror stories' I'd read. And it sucks that you had a bad experience that sucked the fun out of it for you. But I felt like I really needed to take the 'risk' because I support what Gerry and crew are trying to do.... something different. And I feel like I enjoy a few advantages that mitigate things a bit. For example if I want a new module Multimorphic is on the other side of town for me and at the right time of day it's probably about 40 mins one way. So my playfields won't be bounced around by a freight company...

...and my wife and I agreed that I don't have to sell another game first if I want a new module LoL. But seriously my wife is a total sweetheart, hates all the 'women are shrews' stereotypes when it comes to male dominated hobbies and likes all the cool shit I do. Hell she wants to buy Heist for us! But I digress...

#4 36 days ago
Quoted from AMartin56:

And with Stern I've had too many QC issues out of the box lately so my desire to buy more is at an all time low.

They had a somewhat rough patch around the transition, I've got one of the last machines produced at the old factory and one that was made late last year at the new one, both had issues that were "easy to catch at a quick glance" if someone knew what to look for.

#5 36 days ago

Enjoy it! Lots of unique, fun gameplay to be had on the P3. Sterns are cool but it’s fun to mix things up at home, especially if you have locations nearby with the more common games.

#6 36 days ago
Quoted from AMartin56:

Two quick disclaimers:
[quoted image]

It gets worse. I mean better! Just wait until you realize you can have 10 games in the space of 1 and changing them takes 2 minutes.

I tell everyone this: do NOT put in Final Resistance until you tire of Al. You will never take it out.

#7 36 days ago

I don't think Chelsea looks like Megan Fox.

#8 35 days ago

So day two observations:

I'm getting better at the game but at my current skill level the upper playfield might as well not exist lol. But I'm getting there as use of the multiple flipper buttons become more natural and I learn all the fun ball paths. I continue to enjoy how the initial ball feed gives you a lot of upper left flipper practice. In an unrelated note I've also yet to lock a ball in the camera.

The game continues to shoot very smoothly. I feel like the only slightly awkward part of the layout involves missed shots from the upper left flipper into the area above the P target. I don't feel like I get any unfair drains off missing those shots but the ball screams in there at such a speed that I'm afraid I was going to break something. I lowered the flipper power a bit but then you don't make the spiral ramp so I put it back. Ultimately all this is improving as I get more accurate but hitting the side of the P target is probably always going to feel a bit odd.

I was getting pretty gnarly air balls off the V I P targets but noticed that they all seemed a bit reclined. So bending them slightly forward with my finger all but eliminated this.

At the request of my family I closed the side drains a bit. Super easy...I feel like I'm violently pulling a tooth in the old west when I do this on a modern Stern..

The light show continues to impress. It's very striking. I particularly like how yellow takes over the playfield when you're repairing the museum floor. The scoop line lighting in general never fails to impress me. I don't feel the lack of 'blinking insert light shows' because of them.

I love the little easter eggs I've stumbled upon so far. The move your car call out and the fact that Al recorded so many of them in general. The Amish Paradise pinball machine being the shape of the headless P3 prototype. The 'trick' question in word crimes about pinball and that mode in general and how it makes you trap the ball and slow down. Harvey scoop shots will never get old and back handing them is a real hoot.

Only downside to gameplay so far is minor and associated with my skill level. I'm tending to play the same modes each game because I don't have all the shots down. But they're all pretty cool so not a problem.

Going to play some more today when I get my (non Amish) chores done...

#9 35 days ago

Woot woot! Welcome to the club!

I had had heist in for heist and ddd but I see ritr has an update so may need to try ccr for a bit. It is super awesome to be able to swap games around and get a new experience.

#10 35 days ago

Wamonh is a master piece of engineering…….and is fun a hell.

#11 35 days ago

Yeah that's what turned me off from getting a P3 was the lead time these things need to be ready before I buy them, I wanted to get a heist and final resistance in the same shot but it was a six-month lead time at the time.... That alone detoured me

#12 35 days ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Yeah that's what turned me off from getting a P3 was the lead time these things need to be ready before I buy them, I wanted to get a heist and final resistance in the same shot but it was a six-month lead time at the time.... That alone detoured me

Played it at TPF last Saturday. Ordered it Monday. Had it Friday (But I'm local to them). It definitely seems like availability is good right now depending on the model.

#13 34 days ago

So I gotta ask...

Am I the only one who gets motion sickness playing these things?

I played two balls of Weird Al and almost had to puke. Something about tracking the pinball on a big tv screen with a bunch of other shit moving in various directions underneath the ball was not agreeing with me.

Sterns may seem "samey" - I mean, they are pinball machines, which traditionally have been played on a static playfield surface - but at least I don't need dramamine to survive a game.

#14 34 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So I gotta ask...
Am I the only one who gets motion sickness playing these things?
I played two balls of Weird Al and almost had to puke. Something about tracking the pinball on a big tv screen with a bunch of other shit moving in various directions underneath the ball was not agreeing with me.
Sterns may seem "samey" - I mean, they are pinball machines, which traditionally have been played on a static playfield surface - but at least I don't need dramamine to survive a game.

I've gotten motion sickness from first person shooters with the wrong field of view but not from the P3.

#15 34 days ago

VR stuff makes me motion sick like crazy but I’ve never had an issue with the P3. Nobody who has ever played mine has mentioned motion sickness either.

#16 34 days ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

VR stuff makes me motion sick like crazy but I’ve never had an issue with the P3. Nobody who has ever played mine has mentioned motion sickness either.

I've played a couple other P3 games with no issue but Weird Al really made me want to retch!

#17 34 days ago

Motion sickness sucks, for sure. I bet you’d be fine with something like Final Resistance if you ever get a chance to try that.

#18 34 days ago

So day 3:

I feel like I'm getting used to the multiple flipper buttons now (having adjusted my grip a bit to use my middle and index fingers) and the game is REALLY opening up. I love the flow... I actually finally started a Harvey Multiball (stacked with Weasel Stomping Day which was fun) and even kicked a ball into the camera for the first time!

A couple of random observations:

I've only been 'gifted' it so far but I love the opening to UHF multiball. Very cool!

I'm learning more of the ball paths (to be honest I wish some of the 'warning' events that trigger unusual movement via a magnet etc could be made ever so slightly longer) so the mini upper playfield is getting some use. The repeatable loop is fun (you can even back hand it!) and I even made the super skill shot to the camera once. It might also be nice to have the ability to lengthen the time the mezzanine ramp is down to maybe utilize the upper playfield more.

Drinking from the fire hose is fun. Am I supposed to get Oxygen Destroyer vibes from it?

My game seems pretty well dialed in but missed shots from the upper left flipper into the 'rapids' around the spiral ramp entrance continue to be the least desirable part of the layout. I had an air ball hit something in the area and then fly over EVERYTHING to center drain..I might try lowering that flipper's strength now that I'm not missing as much. But it's a small price to pay and a very minor complaint. No layout is perfect...well other than maybe Stern JP's (amirite?).

The laser grid test has a flickering line or two. When I looked down the rail as recommended by Gerry in a video I DO see some low hanging wiring that is likely causing this but the ball tracking doesn't seem all that compromised so I'm not going to worry about it.

I will probably try to get into the left orbit kick out area to add some mylar if it isn't that hard to get to. I see myself really playing this game a lot so I want to be proactive.

Only other odd thing is that I frequently lose audio during the Germs intro. The game recovers but it's happened more than once.

I went ahead and bought the 'generic' speaker grill art from MM and the 'plain' stainless steel side and sling plastics from Chrome Candy. The Al speaker art is great but I like the idea of swapping modules and only having to change the cabinet and apron art. And I want to be able to see the upper flippers. I don't feel the need to hide them when a module that doesn't use them is installed.

Overall I still very much love this thing and wish it would get the props it deserves from the wider community for daring to be different. Al is so good that I'm resisting the urge to move another pin to buy additional modules....for now...

#19 31 days ago

So day 6:

Had my first minor technical issue. Scoop 5 wouldn't lower all the way. I submitted a trouble ticket to MM.
I received a response in what must have been 15 mins at most and after performing the requested adjustment (I didn't even have to raise the playfield!) I was up and running. Thanks Nick! I'm thinking the scoop must have been struck by the ball while in an odd position as it's been fine for roughly 100 games.

I also modded a few things. I'm very anal when it comes to having the art match the installed module and I don't want to be swapping playfield plastics each time. So enter Chrome Candy and MM's 'generic' speaker grill art. Now I don't have to change anything but the side art when I swap modules and being able to see the upper flippers is really helping my hamster wheel ramp shot. Gerry and crew really thought about everything too by providing translate art that includes the game logo.
PXL_20240328_193856800.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20240328_193856800.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20240328_193908930 (resized).jpgPXL_20240328_193908930 (resized).jpgPXL_20240328_193914473.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20240328_193914473.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20240328_193922673 (resized).jpgPXL_20240328_193922673 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,500 (OBO)
1,600 (Firm)
Machine - Pre-order Spot
Round Rock, TX
8,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
11,999 (OBO)
$ 12.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

$ 11,800.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/love-at-first-sight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.