Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by PghPinballRescue
  • No one calls this topic a favorite
  • Topic is a super sticky!

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240424_201659 (resized).jpg
    #1 10 months ago

So I was thinking, maybe we could include "ball trough installed balls count" in the Pinside database?

This would be super handy, I keep looking for this info after cleaning out multiple games and replacing the balls.

...I made a simple spreadsheet that I could import into our database fairly easily. With some help from the community (you!) we should be able to fill up this list?

Here is the Google docs link:

« Some content hidden, only visible to registered Pinsiders » If you want to help out, feel free to edit the sheet at this link and add the number of balls installed in a particular game you know.

We are looking for BALLS INSTALLED IN THE TROUGH. So please don't include captive balls etc.

In the sheet, you will find that I have already included a column for the "number of balls in multiball", but I don't think this is always representative of the number of balls that should be installed in the ball trough.

Thanks for any help!

#2 10 months ago

Great idea, Robin! I've gone in and added a bunch. I assume the large column to the far right is for notes? Some games can operate with more than the trough is designed for, or have special cases, i.e. Twilight Zone accommodating a ceramic ball, or 7 balls if using the home roms. Robo-War is designed to use 2 balls, but it will operate 100% normally with 3 installed--and I operate the game with the 3rd ball in the trough to accommodate for an occasional lost or stuck ball, since 80B games can't do it in software. If you prefer that column to be left blank, I can remove such notes.

#3 10 months ago

Excellent idea! Edited the list on the games I own.

#4 10 months ago

A few will work with variable ammonuts. Heist takes between 15 and 99 for example. I like the premise though.

#5 10 months ago

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, sure, we can use that big last column for notes that I can add to the game's remarks.

I.e.: "TZ is an exception where the game has 3 alls in the trough and 3 in the gumball machine. One of these six balls is the ceramic Powerball."

#6 10 months ago
    Quoted from robin:

Thanks for the help!
    Yeah, sure, we can use that big last column for notes that I can add to the game's remarks.
    I.e.: "TZ is an exception where the game has 3 alls in the trough and 3 in the gumball machine. One of these six balls is the ceramic Powerball."

Rick and Morty did/does something similar. I am assuming captive balls are not counted so Last action hero would be a 6 not an 8 ball game.

#7 10 months ago

A lot of the 90s Bally/Williams games have stickers like "install 5 balls" or similar.

Those stickers are often worn off, to the point that they're unreadable. I'm looking to add a database field to quickly help establish the number of balls to install.

#8 10 months ago

I think you should get rid of the multiball column. No idea what that would help with to be honest. All new Sterns have 6 balls in the trough but rarely use all 6.

It really should be about balls that are loaded into the game. In the spreadsheet include a notes column if there are any things to be aware of like mentioned below.

TZ mentioning the powerball but the game is also going to automatically load the balls in the trough to the gumball

STTNG is going to automatically load the subway diverters

Banzai Run ball (and size) loaded into the freestyle area.

FGuy/Shrek ball (and size) loaded into mini-playfield

High-score pool size of ball loaded into the turret.

#9 10 months ago

Stern TMNT Premium is an exception - it takes 8, and two normally reside in the van instead of the trough. (There was one funny case on here where someone had a pro that was mislabeled with the premium sticker to install 8.)

Another somewhat unusual case is Jack-Bot - it takes 4, although there is never any time that multiball goes to more than 3.

#10 10 months ago

Good idea @robin! Just added something to the list.

#11 10 months ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

Another somewhat unusual case is Jack-Bot - it takes 4, although there is never any time that multiball goes to more than 3.

There are a handful of games like this. Creature from the Black Lagoon uses 3 balls, but only ever has a 2-ball multiball, and TX-Sector requires 3 balls, but only ever has a 2 ball multiball. Due to the trough design, a lot of System 80B games with 2 ball multiballs can handle 3 balls in the trough and it won't cause any problems.

I've added a bunch to the spreadsheet, using the manuals as reference, and adding notes as needed.

#12 10 months ago

How do we add a game ?
    LTG : )

#13 10 months ago

This is a great idea and I find it helpful. Added quite a few counts myself.

I know Space Jam has a multiball, however it's blank - I'm sure someone who owns the game can verify and correct that + get trough count.

#14 10 months ago

Theatre of Magic has 4 balls in the trough not 5. The 5th ball is the captive ball. Well, 5th or 6th ball depending on how you look at it. The loose captive ball is hit by resting on a Newton ball. It is either a 3 or 4 ball multiball depending on whether you have a vanish ball locked when you get multiball.

Diner is the same as Party Zone in that there are 3 balls in the trough but only ever a 2 ball multiball.

World Cup Soccer has 5 in the trough and multiball is technically only 3 balls. The Final Draw mode is up to 5 balls if you manually plunge them back into play that quickly.

#15 10 months ago

We're making good progress! Still have some games to cover before I will move stuff to the machines database, but getting there!

All the comments are pretty useful too! Once I add all this to the database, I'll be sure to also prominently display the comments associated with ball count.

#16 10 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

How do we add a game ?
    LTG : )

I was able to add a game ( The Wiggler ) at the bottom & then grab the left most cell and scroll it up to where it should be in alphabetical order (moving all the cells in that line. )

I would imagined the "Pinside I.D. number would be helpful as well I verified that's what the "machine_key # was looking at another game

2 weeks later
    #17 9 months ago

I asked years ago for this info to be added to www.ipdb.org but nothing yet.

Pretty simple really:

just list any balls that get loaded onto the playfield or as captive balls as a +1 or whatever.

For example: 4+1 if there needs to be 4 balls in the trough plus 1 captive ball on the playfield.

3 months later
    #19 5 months ago

How much are you willing to pay for this information?

#20 5 months ago

All models have 1 captive ball behind the upper magnet (by upper flipper).

#21 5 months ago
    Quoted from chad:

All models have 1 captive ball behind the upper magnet (by upper flipper).

oh, I didn't know that. but I only was talking about pro

#22 5 months ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

How much are you willing to pay for this information?

a glorious 2-day, 3-night stay at the new vfw doghouse.
    you too can enjoy pinball machines from yesteryear and bask in the glory of an unfinished and unfurnished BNB with an ogre for a host.

3 weeks later
    #26 4 months ago

I think you may have inadvertently confused some people by putting the MULTIBALL column before the BALLS IN TROUGH column in the spreadsheet. I see several games that show multi-ball counts but not trough counts. Maybe my assumption is wrong and all the entries thus far are correct, but seems like the natural order would be for BALLS IN TROUGH to be before/to the left of MULTIBALL.

3 weeks later
    #28 3 months ago

Is it just my copy or is the spreadsheet broken? Tried to use it the other day while replacing balls but it only shows one row.

#29 3 months ago
    Quoted from Jwf_pinball:

Is it just my copy or is the spreadsheet broken? Tried to use it the other day while replacing balls but it only shows one row.

Fixed! Someone left a filter on.

2 months later
    #30 38 days ago

Added a couple today.

Always thought Jokerz was odd. 3 balls in trough, but only a two ball multiball.

#31 38 days ago
    Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Added a couple today.
    Always thought Jokerz was odd. 3 balls in trough, but only a two ball multiball.

There are a couple System 11 games like that. The 3rd ball was added for the broken switch compromise programming. In short, if a ball gets stuck the game can still run with the other 2 balls.

#32 36 days ago
    Quoted from Shogun00:

There are a couple System 11 games like that. The 3rd ball was added for the broken switch compromise programming. In short, if a ball gets stuck the game can still run with the other 2 balls.

Learned something new today. Thanks for the info.

3 weeks later
    #33 12 days ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

Stern TMNT Premium is an exception - it takes 8, and two normally reside in the van instead of the trough. (There was one funny case on here where someone had a pro that was mislabeled with the premium sticker to install 8.)

added this to my collection and saw the site doesn't know how many balls. I updated the spreadsheet to what i think is wanted:
    "how many balls do you install in the trough"
    and not
    "how many balls LIVE in the trough"
    for TMNT Prem/LE, you put 8 into the 6 ball trough, and if the game detects ball 6 it will load up the van. 3 balls live in the van.

1 week later
    #35 4 days ago

The ball count for Elton John is incorrect. Pinside shows 4, but it's 6.

20240424_201659 (resized).jpg20240424_201659 (resized).jpg
    #36 3 days ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

The ball count for Elton John is incorrect. Pinside shows 4, but it's 6.
    [quoted image]

I can confirm it is 6. I put 6 on the google sheet, not sure where Pinside got it from.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-for-game-ball-counts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.