View topic image gallery

pasted_image? (resized).png
pasted_image? (resized).jpeg
pasted_image? (resized).jpeg
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 16 days ago

It’s me again! Davey from Stumblor here, with another long winded mod introduction. But don’t worry! It’s super easy to politely ignore most of it because hey - paragraphing. Did you know paragraphing was invented just so people could politely ignore long winded intros on pinball forums? Well it was! Sometime in the 1800s. Look it up.

Hopefully you’ve seen our illustrious entries into the pantheon of Godzilla mods - the Tokyo Neon sign, Noodle Bar, and Subway buildings, each more fiendish than the last. Not only fiendish, but also slightly popular - to the point that my wife now isn’t giving me evils every time a new pin enters the house. Win!

But who cares about those other mods - you’re here for one thing and one thing only. Boobs! Sorry, wrong tab - JAWS!

This project originally started out as a sign replacement, similar to what we did for the original Tokyo Neon sign. The sign in Jaws is this one.

pasted_image? (resized).pngpasted_image? (resized).png

Not great. Kinda like skittles decided to greenwash their packaging.

I had a couple of ideas for this, but quickly ran into problems with the amount of space I had to work with, particularly on the premium. There just wasn’t the depth to create a nice, diffused resin sign.

I got chatting about the problem with @joelbob, and we hashed out some alternative ideas. Could I make something else that communicated the same information, but in a different way? Again there were issues - the idea I had was quite complex, using techniques I hadn’t used before, and I wasn’t entirely convinced I could pull it off. It also needed space, on a game that surprisingly doesn’t have a lot of it available. But the idea was a banger, so I wanted to give it a shot.

Eventually, the area around the fishing reel stood out. There was (just enough) space to work with, and it was the same design from both pro and premium, which meant I could stick to one design. With no game in hand, I leaned heavily on joelbob for scans and measurements. At Expo, I pulled apart poor 1956PINHEAD jaws pro on his stall to test fit the main bracket. Since I only received my Jaws last week, this early help was invaluable. Thanks fellas, you da best!

So what is it? It’s a buoy of course! Inspired by the one Chrissie holds onto at the start of the movies before she’s munched by our sharp toothed protagonist.

pasted_image? (resized).jpegpasted_image? (resized).jpeg

Ouch my foot!

I say “inspired” because this isn’t a movie replica. You have other options if you want that. To do what I wanted to do, I had to change it a bit.

Did I change it too much? Well, I’ll let you decide.

I give you … The BUOY OF DEAAAAATH

* Motorised “bobbing” buoy, by default on all the time, but can also by triggered by events. Hand painted tough nylon, with a rusty metal effect.
* Wrap around matrix LED screen (Like Elton, only less camp!) with 198 LEDs. Text ticker showing game events pulled from the sign. Ability to show Animated GIFs, like the blood effect when the chum line is hit. We will likely include the ability to change this text and the GIFs.
* Buoy Siren. Triggerable by events, and fully configurable (pattern and colours)
* Water effect resin with over 100 LEDs. Triggerable by events, and fully configurable (pattern and colours). More or less ‘blood’ if you find it too much.
* 100% configurable through the Lolly Web UI
* Fully tested with an awesome-o-meter and scored a very respectable score of ‘highly dope’.

Let’s talk about STRENGTH (baby)

Jaws has an airball problem. There’s a bunch of fixes, but many games will no doubt still have the issue. Airballs create damage. If your game has airballs off the chum line - this mod is directly in line to receive airball hits, and that’s something I needed contingency for.

I’m addressing this by using a super durable vac casted transparent resin product, usually used for things like motorcycle visors. I’m reinforcing the frontal areas. We’ll be testing the shit out of it. But do yourself a favour - kills those airballs. We’ll include all the recommendations for best how to do this as part of the install instructions.

The water

I’m really happy with how this turned out, but it was a STRUGGLE. The LED PCB has to sit on top of the ball guide, since there is no space for otherwise, which meant there wasn’t that much room for diffusing the LEDs. We tried multiple LED varieties, resin products, colour mixes and internal diffusion designs before arriving at this. I hope you like the result as much as I do (and as always, it’s better in person).

I’m not done with this yet either. The next iteration will be less blocky at the front, and we’re also looking at ways to improve how it looks with the game off.

The wrap around screen

Also a massive struggle. But the result is insane. The ability to play GIFs on it opens up so many interesting possibilities too.

The friggin’ MOVEMENT

I was blown away when I saw how InteractivePinball used motors to create movement on his Twilight Zone Playing Piano mod. Such a simple idea but with a HUGE visual impact - it just makes you smile. Jazzbouche and I have been having a lot of conversations around what we think the ‘next frontier’ is for pinball modding, and for us, this is it. Movement! But then obviously combined with all the bells and whistles too

Extensible

Which is just a fancy way of saying ‘extendable’ ! There’s an output on the PCB so we can create more water areas for other plastics, like the barren upper left area on the pro, or the long plastic on the right of both version under Diddy’s lighthouse.

Price and timings

Based on current estimates, we’ve managed to keep the price of this at Noodle/Subway levels, which is £239 ($295 USD based on today’s conversion). We’ll start sending them out when done with the Subway and the TBL Hollywood sign, which is approximately 3-4 months if all goes well.

Reply in the thread if you’d like to jump on the list, or sign up on the website.

pasted_image? (resized).jpegpasted_image? (resized).jpeg

#2 16 days ago

List me please premium

#3 16 days ago

Please add me to the list, LE.

#4 16 days ago

Awesome, you where getting cut out on the YouTube video and my only thought was you need water on the right to tie it in and I was hoping that’s what you where referring to when the audio was cutting out

I feel like this is your most complex design yet but you are keeping the price down. bravo.

#5 16 days ago

Me! Prem please

#6 16 days ago

I encourage those who want to sign up to do it directly on the website not just to get on the list right away but so you can use it to track your place in line ect.

https://stumblorpinball.com/products/bouy

#7 16 days ago
Quoted from Zen_Monkey:

Awesome, you where getting cut out on the YouTube video and my only thought was you need water on the right to tie it in and I was hoping that’s what you where referring to when the audio was cutting out
I feel like this is your most complete design yet but you are keeping the price down. bravo.

Really appreciate that. Keeping the price consistent with orevious mods was a challenge, especially around the resin water which provide difficult to find the right combination of strength, diffusion and price. Managed it in the end.

Sorry about that audio hiccup but yes - the idea is to be able to extend the mod into those other water plastics. Same controller, which will keep the cost down of those additional pieces also.

#8 16 days ago

#9 16 days ago

I meant to say complex all your designs are complete lol

#10 16 days ago

Count me in. Premium

#11 16 days ago

Looks awesome.
Also - wondering - will this plug into to the #9 spot on the board? I just plugged my RavSpec flipper coolers into that one. Might need a splitter?

#12 16 days ago
Quoted from Method_Own:

I should be in your website list already - LE. Looks awesome.

You can check this is why I encourage everyone to know his website. it’s almost as nice as his mods.

Just sign up for mod and use your pinside name if you’re already on the list it tells you what your number in line is.

https://stumblorpinball.com/products/bouy

#13 16 days ago
Quoted from Method_Own:

I should be in your website list already - LE. Looks awesome.
Also - wondering - will this plug into to the #9 spot on the board? I just plugged my RavSpec flipper coolers into that one. Might need a splitter?

Do you mean CN11 on the cabinet node board? This is the usual place that mods are connected these days, this one included. We sell a couple of different splitter options, so we've got you covered.

#14 16 days ago

Fantastic Mod, you've done it again Davey!

Great stream as well. You and Rob are killing it

#15 16 days ago

I’m in for an LE version please!

#16 16 days ago

I don't have a Jaws but man that is a fantastic mod!!! Great Job!!

#17 16 days ago

Love it Davey! I'm already on da List

#18 16 days ago

Awesome reveal!
I’m glad you mentioned refining the water edge up front to make it less chunky, with the understanding that strength is needed to prevent breakage. Will the water be all one piece or separate tiles/sections of a whole?
I also liked the design of the water with the exposed rocks jutting out. Keeps some of the rock motif from the original plastic.
Any thoughts on losing the rod design that the reel was part of?
I like the idea of being able to trigger bouy movement during certain actions/
Modes. How about a Night Swim mode!!
Keep up the awesome work! You guys are great.

#19 16 days ago

Count me in, baby!

#20 16 days ago

I signed up on the website for me and my friend. I'll have time to save my money because we won't see it until next year. We're at 213 and 216 respectively. I could die before I ever get this thing...

#21 16 days ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I signed up on the website for me and my friend. I'll have time to save my money because we won't see it until next year. We're at 213 and 216 respectively. I could die before I ever get this thing...

I have no doubt you will get it before then lol.

#22 16 days ago

Looks great Davey, and thanks for the sneak peak earlier this month.

Where’s the swimming shark?? Put me on the list, definitely.

#24 16 days ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Looks amazing...kicking myself for not getting on the list weeks ago

#25 16 days ago

I’m in as well. Happy to continue putting your kids through college with all these great mods ; )

#26 16 days ago

I have a suggestion. How about a rocking Orca boat to accompany this in that empty space on the Pro? Big, empty space where the upper pf goes on the other versions.

#27 16 days ago

I'm already on the list. Thank goodness. This looks awesome!

#28 16 days ago

Love it! On the list! So just to clarify will you be making any other mods in the future to replace that plastic sign?

#30 16 days ago

Please add a spot for me

Pro

#31 16 days ago

Well done Davey nice mod. Your best so far.

#32 16 days ago

Add me to the list for a premium please!!! This looks amazing!!

#33 16 days ago
Quoted from brickbuilder14:

Love it! On the list! So just to clarify will you be making any other mods in the future to replace that plastic sign?

Still plan to do something for that yeah - but will first look at the other water plastics and the wave ramp, in the same style as this (and driven by this).

#34 16 days ago

Sweeeet!

Another stellar mod Davey!

#35 16 days ago

List me for an LE please!

#36 16 days ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Still plan to do something for that yeah - but will first look at the other water plastics and the wave ramp, in the same style as this (and driven by this).

So do you mean that all elevated water plastics that are not playfield could have a sculpted, led backlit shimmering water effect that all interacts during the light shows? That would be rad. And would that include maybe one day the left upper corner water plastic on the pro?

#37 16 days ago
Quoted from Method_Own:

Looks awesome.

Quoted from stumblor:

Do you mean CN11 on the cabinet node board? This is the usual place that mods are connected these days, this one included. We sell a couple of different splitter options, so we've got you covered.

I use CN9 for my coolers after always having my personal CN11 ports taken up by awesome mods like this one so you are good to go.

#38 16 days ago

I am pumped - got in early on this one at spot #18 and cannot wait to see it in my machine!! Great work!!

#39 16 days ago
Quoted from Laserbeak21:

So do you mean that all elevated water plastics that are not playfield could have a sculpted, led backlit shimmering water effect that all interacts during the light shows? That would be rad. And would that include maybe one day the left upper corner water plastic on the pro?

That's certainly the plan!

I have a couple of other ideas for that section on the pro as well.

#40 16 days ago
Quoted from stumblor:

Another home run Davey, congrats and can’t wait to add it and hope Jaws allows for just as many of yours and Jazzbouche’s amazing mods like Godzilla has.

I hope one of your next mods adds a 3rd barrel somewhere as my OCD is driving me crazy since they only put two of the sculpted ones for the Prem\LE.

#41 16 days ago
Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

Another home run Davey, congrats and can’t wait to add it and hope Jaws allows for just as many of yours and Jazzbouche’s amazing mods like Godzilla has.
I hope one of your next mods adds a 3rd barrel somewhere as my OCD is driving me crazy since they only put two of the sculpted ones for the Prem\LE.

Don't they know about the rule of threes !!

#42 16 days ago

I’d like to join the list for one, LE

#43 16 days ago

I know Davey said he started looking to change the Jaws sign, but then moved onto this incredible buoy mod. Does that mean he'll not revisit a possible sign mod, it is screaming for the Stumblor touch!

#44 16 days ago

You keep getting better Davey!! Now I see what you were working on Excellent work mate!!

#45 16 days ago
Quoted from Pinball-Cruiser:

I know Davey said he started looking to change the Jaws sign, but then moved onto this incredible buoy mod. Does that mean he'll not revisit a possible sign mod, it is screaming for the Stumblor touch!

Still have some ideas for that, stay tuned!

#46 16 days ago

Please add me to the list. LE.
Looks awesome

#47 16 days ago

Please add me for the premium! Thanks!

#48 16 days ago

Did we have to specify what machine we are getting it for (Prem/LE or pro)? Because I didn't see that on the website. Don't know if it's necessary.

#49 16 days ago

Looks great Davey. My game room is looking like a Stumblor showroom between GZ, FF and now Jaws.

#50 16 days ago

Add me for an LE, looks great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Rio Rancho, NM
$ 101.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 195.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet Parts
Pin-Tools.com

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Precision Pinball prod.

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 210.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 9,699.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 32.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 799.00
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 89.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 48.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richmond, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jaws-buoy-of-death-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.