(Topic ID: 200536)

Hurricane Club (Comet and Cyclone owners are also welcome)

By AlexSMendes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 377 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by bhelms
  • Topic is favorited by 31 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20240414_000206417 (resized).jpg
hurricane.pdf (PDF preview)
pasted_image (resized).png
p2 (resized).jpg
p1 (resized).jpg
hurr3 (resized).jpg
hurr2 (resized).jpg
hurr1 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_2151 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2150 (resized).jpeg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg
Hurricane topper 5 inch tall (resized).jpg
20230423_233622 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230121_085936.jpg
D985E622-32A8-4065-B3DA-49F9E3BBACA0 (resized).jpeg
There are 377 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
#351 6 months ago
Quoted from ababapanos:

Thank you
if you see the video I uploaded before you will see that I added lights to bumpers!

Cool. I’m at work and didn’t watch the video. I just saw the pics and didn’t seem them there. Glad you added them while it was all apart.

1 month later
#352 4 months ago

Hi All,

Recently bought a Hurricane (Whooooh Hoooo) that had, now this is a little difficult to explain, but the side the transformer sits on had started dropping out.

Half of the right hand side of the cabinet had separated taking the lower mounting base with it. Can add pics if anyone is interested?

So the reason for my post is, to ask if anyone has mounted the transformer on the rear section of the cabinet?

I read every post in this thread and didn't see it mentioned being done.

Like on Scared Stiff? Out of the way and no weight on the base.

I ask first as my concern is that the transformer may be in the way when raising the playfield?

It's all been repaired, just giving plenty of time for the glue to cure.

1 week later
#353 4 months ago

also i have searched the internet, and see it has been asked before, with no reply, so here it is again, does anyone know of where to buy if possible, reproduction decals/stickers for the top ramp?

#354 4 months ago

Hi all, just picked up a Hurricane at an auction. It plays well, no major issues with gameplay, but the back box wheel doesn’t move. I tried the switch test and nothing happened.

Any troubleshooting ideas? is it just as simple as replacing the motor? Pic of the motor here.

TIA for any help!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#355 4 months ago
Quoted from ShortCorky:

Hi all, just picked up a Hurricane at an auction. It plays well, no major issues with gameplay, but the back box wheel doesn’t move. I tried the switch test and nothing happened.
Any troubleshooting ideas? is it just as simple as replacing the motor? Pic of the motor here.
TIA for any help!
[quoted image]

Check if you're getting voltage to it first. If yes, then I'd check the transistor that drives it (Q82)
Best of luck

1 month later
#356 3 months ago

Struggling greatly with Ferris wheels on Hurricane stopping as soon as a ball is in either one. Have cleaned everything and replaced the belt following instructions from a youtube video, and have tightened the tensioner as far as I can. Any other ideas? Could it actually be that replacing the motor will make a difference?

#357 3 months ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Struggling greatly with Ferris wheels on Hurricane stopping as soon as a ball is in either one. Have cleaned everything and replaced the belt following instructions from a youtube video, and have tightened the tensioner as far as I can. Any other ideas? Could it actually be that replacing the motor will make a difference?

Is the correct size belt installed? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/23-6673
I know some people use a large pinball rubber ring instead, and this can lead to a belt being too loose or too tight

#358 3 months ago
Quoted from Archon9000:

Is the correct size belt installed? https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/23-6673
I know some people use a large pinball rubber ring instead, and this can lead to a belt being too loose or too tight

It is. Thanks. That's just what I ordered and installed from marco.

#359 3 months ago

i had the same problem, but for me i had lots of room to tighten the belt, is there maybe some screw you missed, so that you can tighten it further?

#361 3 months ago
Quoted from stefanmader:

i had the same problem, but for me i had lots of room to tighten the belt, is there maybe some screw you missed, so that you can tighten it further?

Thanks for the response. I have the tensioner down as far as it can go for sure. I am now wondering if maybe the synthetic grease I used on the ferris wheel shafts as recommended in the video was put on too thick and is causing some slippage or if there is some other issue with the wheels. The belt itself definitely keeps turning even when the wheels get stopped because of the weight of the ball. I am going to disassemble again and wipe everything dry, then reassemble, and I'll see if that helps.

#362 3 months ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Thanks for the response. I have the tensioner down as far as it can go for sure. I am now wondering if maybe the synthetic grease I used on the ferris wheel shafts as recommended in the video was put on too thick and is causing some slippage or if there is some other issue with the wheels. The belt itself definitely keeps turning even when the wheels get stopped because of the weight of the ball. I am going to disassemble again and wipe everything dry, then reassemble, and I'll see if that helps.

Tried drying everything and reassembling, with the same result. As much as I hate the expense and have my doubts, I think I'll have to resort to putting in a new motor.

#363 89 days ago

Back in the club after a LONG hiatus!

Made a few of these and have a couple of extras, if anyone is interested please PM me. Matt's colorization is phenomenal and puts ColorDMD to shame.

These come fully licensed and are plug and play in under 10 minutes.

Thanks for looking!

hurr1 (resized).jpghurr1 (resized).jpghurr2 (resized).jpghurr2 (resized).jpghurr3 (resized).jpghurr3 (resized).jpgp1 (resized).jpgp1 (resized).jpgp2 (resized).jpgp2 (resized).jpg
#364 87 days ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Regarding my above problem with the new Ferris wheel belt turning but the wheels themselves stopping when a ball hit them, the problem is solved. Upon the advice of another pinsider, I realized I needed to create some friction or "grab" for the belt. I lightly filed down the inside of both the red and blue Ferris wheel plastic washers that push into the wheels and that took care of the issue.

2 months later
#365 26 days ago

Hello fellow 'Caners! I'm back following an 8 month hiatus. Per my most recent posts above, I was experiencing a problem with the Juggler in my machine. I waited for a rainy day to get "a round tuit" to work on this problem, which turned out to be today. To my complete surprise, when I fired the machine up for the first time since August '23, it was performing almost perfectly, meaning that there seems to be nothing wrong with the Juggler at the moment! There were 6 credits remaining and I used them all to confirm the operation is as it should be. Of course I'm sure the problem will return at some point but as we all know, there is no sense in trying to troubleshoot an intermittency when it's working! IOW - don't fix it when it ain't broke!

But now I have another mystery problem and figured I should ask for advice here before I tear into it. As I was running out of credits I tried to drop more quarters (Yes, I still have it in "pay to play" mode - that was my retirement fund after all!) and they did not register. Once I got to -0- I tried to drop quarters again and nothing happened. With the door open I tried to use the service credits button and that is also not working. On power up, the machine reported I have an issue but when I pressed the test button, nothing happened. Of the 4 buttons on that panel inside the door, only the volume up/down are currently working; I adjusted them during game play. So now I'm stuck - I can't start a game by any means. Power off/on does not change anything. Any advice? TIA...

#366 25 days ago

In the immortal words of Emily Litella*..."Never mind!" I found a PinWiki article that describes a lot of WPC troubleshooting hacks for all machines of that type/vintage and it contained a section that exactly covers the latest issue I had! I followed the steps that allowed me to confirm the CPU board was not at fault so that left some possible issues between J205 on the CPU board and the "direct" switches at the coin door. But when I plugged the socket back in - Voila! - everything was working as good as ever! I was sure I wiggled that socket as part of my preliminary checks - I guess it needed to be pulled off altogether and reinstalled firmly to finally chase the ghost away!

Anyway - it's all good for the moment...until the Juggler problem resurfaces! In the meantime my Hurricane will get quite a workout - I have 8 months to make up for...!

(*Emily was a confused old lady with an opinion on everything, usually wrong, played by Gilda Radner on the original SNL After she was called on her mistake she would think for a moment then reply "Never mind!".)

#367 20 days ago
Quoted from Phoerber:

Back in the club after a LONG hiatus!

Made a few of these and have a couple of extras, if anyone is interested please PM me. Matt's colorization is phenomenal and puts ColorDMD to shame.

Following up on the above post, I purchased one of these Pin2DMDs from Phoerber for Hurricane and was extremely pleased. Excellent communication from Phoerber, great packaging, and truly a plug-n-play that was easy to install with no tweaks required. The touches such as the different dot colors for juxtaposed letters and numbers makes good sense for this particular title, and the colors are especially impressive for large graphics such as Clown Time. A much more affordable option that Color DMD, which I have used on many other titles. I made a video but decided not to post, since the above video by Phoerber is much better quality.

A highly recommended purchase.

#368 19 days ago

I hate the colourisation on this title, especially the letters in different colours.

I had one of my mates colordmd in mine for a while and asked him to take it out again (i was planning to buy it if i liked it).

#369 18 days ago

I am working on a Hurricane and the 3x bonus light stays on. All bonus lights light up correctly as bonuses are collected but when game is started 3x lights and stays on. Can anyone help me under why this might be and how I might fix it? Thanks!

#370 17 days ago
Quoted from Otowner:

I am working on a Hurricane and the 3x bonus light stays on. All bonus lights light up correctly as bonuses are collected but when game is started 3x lights and stays on. Can anyone help me under why this might be and how I might fix it? Thanks!

I can't be sure, but if it's like Cyclone I think the 3X light is on based on the game difficulty settings. If you go into test mode and test all lights, I assume the light would flash on and off just like all the others. The bonus light staying on during game play indicates when the extra ball will light--in this case the factory setting is that it will light when 3X is reached. See screenshot below from the Hurricane manual. If you change the difficulty settings on the game, the 2X or 4X bonus light will stay on. And if you change to no extra balls, then no X lights will stay on. Make sense?

So I'm saying there is nothing at all wrong--it's just a bonusX setting.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#371 17 days ago

I thought it might be linked to something in setting but didn’t put that together. Thanks for the help!

#372 17 days ago
Quoted from Otowner:

I thought it might be linked to something in setting but didn’t put that together. Thanks for the help!

No problem. It really vexed me on my Cyclone for a while until I looked at the manual and settings.

#373 15 days ago

Apron needed a fresh look, so I made up some new cards.
Sharing in case someone wants to print up a set for their game

IMG_20240414_000206417 (resized).jpgIMG_20240414_000206417 (resized).jpghurricane.pdfhurricane.pdf
#374 14 days ago
Quoted from Archon9000:

Apron needed a fresh look, so I made up some new cards.
Sharing in case someone wants to print up a set for their game
[quoted image][quoted image]

Oh, those are nice. Thank you.

#375 13 days ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Following up on the above post, I purchased one of these Pin2DMDs from Phoerber for Hurricane and was extremely pleased. Excellent communication from Phoerber, great packaging, and truly a plug-n-play that was easy to install with no tweaks required. The touches such as the different dot colors for juxtaposed letters and numbers makes good sense for this particular title, and the colors are especially impressive for large graphics such as Clown Time. A much more affordable option that Color DMD, which I have used on many other titles. I made a video but decided not to post, since the above video by Phoerber is much better quality.
A highly recommended purchase.

Thank you @joeschall, appreciate the kind words!

punkin - I totally agree, the ColorDMD version of Hurricane is A$$. jedimastermatt did a phenomenal job with this one and if anyone else here is interested in a color display for Hurricane at 1/2 the cost - please PM me.

Appreciate it y'all. --- Pete

1 week later
#376 5 days ago

What color are you guys using for your GI? I have a bunch of Warm White Frosted and Warm White 89 flashers, but wasn't sure how warm white would look on this one. It does have some orange and reds in the game but was looking for some input.

Torn between warm white or ordering cool whites.

#377 4 days ago
Quoted from justler:

What color are you guys using for your GI? I have a bunch of Warm White Frosted and Warm White 89 flashers, but wasn't sure how warm white would look on this one. It does have some orange and reds in the game but was looking for some input.
Torn between warm white or ordering cool whites.

All lamps in my Hurricane's backbox and crown/topper are cool white LEDs. On the playfield I'm mixed. I use warm white LEDs where there's a chance I'll catch direct glare from the lamp, like 2 lamps behind the dummy's target and the 2 on each side at the return lanes. In fact, for the 2 lamps behind the dummy's target I have placed black tape on the front of each lamp to cut that glare even more. For all other PF GI LEDs I use cool white...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 377 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hurricane-club-comet-and-cyclone-owners-are-also-welcome/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.