Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by EddiePi
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 14 days ago

I believe switches, solenoids, lamps, flashers and GI are ultimately controlled by the CPU. On my Slugfest, I have a number of things not working. Bat, Lamps Column 1 & 4, Lamps Row 1 &4 and GI Feed 3.

After reading through the forums (I searched and searched for this topic, but found nothing) I dug through the driver board, testing IC's with a logic probe and found many places where there was no pulse. I traced those back and also found no pulse. I swapped CPU's with the Bride of Pinbot and found the same issues on BOP. Swapped them back and BOP was fine again. For some reason, I didn't put the BOP CPU into Slugfest.

I'm good with schematics but lost with the terminology and areas around CPU J211 and U9. Found a post where a pinsider pushed on the U9. Tried it, it didn't work.

Suggestions of where to go next would be greatly appreciated.

Eddie

#2 13 days ago

For the bat:

Fuse F105 in the middle of the big driver board, the one on the far right. 3Amp Slow Blow. Check that fuse with a meter. If the fuse is out, the knocker and the magnet would also not be activating in coil test.

If ONLY the bat is out in coil test, underneath there appears to be a small board with a big transistor (?) connected to the bat coil in the bottom of the playfield picture I'm looking at. Solder connections on these small boards frequently break, so I pull that small board and reflow the solder connections on the bottom of the board.

Coil test is useful because the bat could seem to be out because the switch to the bat button is pushed out of the bottom of the switch assembly! Test your switches in switch test.

It's possible for the driver transistors to be out, but it's not common. The big driver transistor(?) on the small board under the playfield (TIP36) is the first one to check. Then on the Power Driver Board (big board) Q82.

General Illumination is almost always the plugs at J121 and J122 on the power driver board. Browned, blackened connectors. Unplug them, and plug them back in. Check all the fuses with a meter in the lower left corner of the big board (Power Driver Board). Sometimes it's just a 5 amp fuse that get's the general illumination working. And, of course, it could be that all those bulbs are burnt out, or if they are on a lamp board, that the lamp board has cracked solder connections at it's connector.

Slugfest controlled illumination.

The first thing to think about is that it likely isn't the circuitry. I'd look at bulbs (all those bulbs are out), broken solder connections on the green lamp boards at the connectors and only then start thinking that I've got a problem in the lamp rows and columns.

Because of the extremely common problem with the lamp boards having bad solder connections, I'd pull them (one by one) off the bottom of the playfield and resolder their connector pins. Do this first, and you might save quite a bit of troubleshooting!

Next, I would go into test mode, number 10, all lamps and flashers.

Lift the playfield.

Find a working bulb in a black socket. Unscrew it. Some of these are so tight that I have to use pliers!

Find a non-working bulb. Unscrew it.

Put the working black socketed bulb in the non-working board spot.

Does it light? If so, it's likely that the non-working bulb in the black socket you still have in your hand just needs a replacement 555 bulb. Replace the bulb, bend the little copper fingers up a bit, and put it into the vacant working spot (where you pulled a working bulb from).

It's not uncommon to find a 'spot' on these green lamp boards that even when you put a known good black socketed bulb in, doesn't work. This will be either a broken trace, or you'll need a replacement diode to that spot (provided you don't have a quite rare lamp matrix circuitry problem).

One by one, keep swapping known good bulbs into spots that don't light up, and replacing bulbs in black sockets and putting them in spots that are known to work. Frequently I'll have to take the wires at the bottom of a 555 bulb and bend them to the other side of the glass to get the bulb to make connection in the bottom of the socket.

It's possible to have rows and columns out... but it's FAR, FAR more common to just have a lot of bulbs not lighting due to burnt out bulbs and broken solder connections, etc...

After you've done all this, let us know what you found, and if you do have bad lamp rows/columns we can help you further.

#3 13 days ago

Also, re-seat your ribbon connectors.

The only one that controls coils and lamps and flashers is the big fat ribbon cable on the right side of the CPU that connects to the left side of the Power Driver Board.

#4 12 days ago

Thanks for writing back on my issue. Going through the list:

Bat - Checked fuse F105 it is good. Note: All high power work in solenoid test - knocker, magnet, pitch arm and ramp. I will focus on the small board and check for solder issues next time I pull my solder station out. I found a problem with pitch board in the past. I pulled all components and re-soldered which fixed that issue. All switches were tested and work in switch test, including bat.

GI and Feature Lights - First thing I checked were feature lights in those columns are rows. As an example, all lights on the runner board from 3rd base to home are out. Swapped out bulb, sockets from one place to the other and none worked. Regarding GI, there are 2 GI feeds on the infield light panel. One is GI feed 3 white/brown and brown. The other is GI feed 2 which is white/violet and violet. The connector has 4 pins. The top row of lights work, bottom are out. But if I flip it, the bottom row of lights work, top lights are out. So I know the board is good.

Ribbon Connector – I have also removed the ribbon connector from the Bride of Pinbot and installed it in Slugfest, no change.

I mentioned that I pulled the CPU from Slugfest and set it up in Bride. Fortunately, or unfortunately, it showed the same results for Column 1 and 4 and Row 1 and 4. Also GI feed 3 did not work in the Bride. I also remember the corresponding feature in the Bride Q82 also did not work which coincides with the bat in Slugfest.

Before the swap, all transistors in columns that have issues were tested and test good. Transistor Q82 also tests good.

I say fortunately above regarding the CPU swap because I believe my issues are isolated to the CPU which is easily fixable with some help with reading the CPU schematic.

#5 12 days ago

Best to lay the MPU board flat on a table, then press down on the U9, ASIC chip. You may hear some crushing sounds but sometimes this fixes issues not relating to power, if it is a connection problem.
Wouldn't hurt to press on any other ICs that are in IC sockets.

Wouldn't hurt to post a picture of the MPU board in case there is some battery corrosion you did not notice.

#6 12 days ago
Quoted from EddiePi:

I pulled the CPU

The CPU drives everything through the ASIC chip (U9).

The pinwiki has several diagrams to help with the CPU. I like this one (save it, and make it bigger):

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC#WPC-089_Signal_Map_.28pinouts.29

Some people have had signals restored when they pull the ASIC chip, and put it back in the socket.

There is a post from Ed at GPE about 'don't throw away your ASIC' and how to gently spread the pins so that they make better connection to the socket, I don't have it handy, but I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Found it:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Information.asp?region=139

I've sent a few CPU's out for repair and they've replaced the U9 socket for me. The socket does fail.

Good luck!

1 week later
#7 5 days ago

Thanks for posting that. I had a few other things I needed to repair but will be checking asic shortly.

I ll report back.

Eddie

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 27.95
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wantagh, NY
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 9.95
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/helpwilliams-wpc-cpu-and-driver-boards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.