(Topic ID: 319534)

A legend has left us...Wayne Neyens, just one day after turning 104!

By jrpinball

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

GTBNewYorkpcard2 (resized).jpg
    canon20072017 003 (resized).JPG
    canon20072017 005 (resized).JPG
    IMG-5428 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5426 (resized).jpg
    IMG-5427 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3211 (resized).JPG
    img20220730_19085258 (resized).jpg
    01left (resized).jpg
    92274F62-94F6-4A18-BEB7-92CE20A5FF63 (resized).jpeg
    B8D28935-A841-4710-8EB4-D9AE3D0942C3 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).jpeg
    295707905_1427182787782551_1020077689362575046_n (resized).jpg
    920C30B2-3ABE-4E2E-9763-FB77C2BC6351 (resized).jpeg
    3CBF38A2-A100-4554-B76D-E9481AB85A0F (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0951 (resized).JPG
    There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 1 year ago

At one of the shows. I asked about six or so guys if they were "irishbastard". Only three of them took a swing at me!

#102 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I'm thinking about doing just that at the York show with woodrail row. We could have all the Neyens woodrail games in order, then put the Neyens wedgeheads and others in the same line, or back to back with the woodies.

I would bring my restored "autographed" Spirit of 76" for that.

#103 1 year ago
    Quoted from wolftownjeff:

I would bring my restored "autographed" Spirit of 76" for that.

That would be cool. What's the serial number on yours?
    Oh, and there's a slight omission on IPDB as far as the last game Wayne designed. There was an add-a-ball two-player version called "New York". I once spoke with Wayne on the phone, and asked him about it, but he couldn't recall it. He then looked through his papers, and found the documentation for it.
    Living in NY, it was the version of that game in our local arcade.
    When I first saw it, I thought that maybe they made one for every state, or at least the first thirteen colonies. But "New York" is the only other variant.

#104 1 year ago

I just looked on ipdb, and they give the design credit for "New York" to Ed Krynski. I don't know how that can be if Wayne designed the other two versions, unless Mr. Krynski came up with the design for the add-a-ball feature on that game.

#105 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I'm one of the only guys who bothers to wear their pinside badge at the shows.

I wore my RGP lanyard at shows a few times years ago. One person in 3 years acknowledged it so I quit.

#106 1 year ago

Older country boy first time at a pinball show, first time in Chicago, Pinball Expo 2011. I own 2 games Spirit of 76 and Space Mission, the games I played as a teenager.
    I am clueless wearing a Spirit of 76 tee shirt under my coat on the bus to the Stern factory tour.
    As we are getting off the bus I realize the guy standing in front of me is Wayne with his 2 daughters.
    I started babbling and ask him if he would sign my shirt. Its around 20 degrees and he suggested we wait until we get inside.
    Straight up gentleman and good guy.
    We stayed in touch on facebook and just chatted a week ago.
    Wayne it was a very special privilege to have met you.
    Game Over
    jeff
    IMG-5428 (resized).jpgIMG-5428 (resized).jpgIMG-5426 (resized).jpgIMG-5426 (resized).jpgIMG-5427 (resized).jpgIMG-5427 (resized).jpg

#107 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

You aren't the first one who thought that's me!

Funny, I’m not the only one who thought this!

#108 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

That would be cool. What's the serial number on yours?
    Oh, and there's a slight omission on IPDB as far as the last game Wayne designed. There was an add-a-ball two-player version called "New York". I once spoke with Wayne on the phone, and asked him about it, but he couldn't recall it. He then looked through his papers, and found the documentation for it.
    Living in NY, it was the version of that game in our local arcade.
    When I first saw it, I thought that maybe they made one for every state, or at least the first thirteen colonies. But "New York" is the only other variant.

A jones plug allows the machine to be replay or add a ball. This is serial no 09873. As I understand Gottlieb released New York in 1978 to celebrate the relaxation of laws relating to pinball machines in New York??

canon20072017 005 (resized).JPGcanon20072017 005 (resized).JPG

Jones plug adjustment on lower centre section of backbox mech.

canon20072017 003 (resized).JPGcanon20072017 003 (resized).JPG

GTBNewYorkpcard2 (resized).jpgGTBNewYorkpcard2 (resized).jpg

#109 1 year ago

RIP Wayne.

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

they give the design credit for "New York" to Ed Krynski.

So New York is a conversion of the Replay games (Pioneer & Spirit of 76), which to me
    says Wayne did the basic designing, and Krynski did the conversion. I have to believe
    for the most part, New York is technically the last he designed..
    I somewhat had an eye out for a New York, but now maybe even more so.
    If any may be available, I have classic Wedge Heads for trades..

#111 1 year ago

Just learned of Wayne's passing. What a talented engineer and prolific pinball designer!

Thanks for all the great EM games you created and contributed to Mr. Neyens!

RIP

#112 1 year ago

The EM's Wayne designed constantly keep me coming back for one more game. Would loved to have met the guy but alas, I got into this hobby too late.

RIP.

#113 1 year ago

Wayne was laid to rest today.
    I'm still bummed thinking about him. He was my pinball idol. But, he was blessed with a very long life, and a legacy that we can enjoy until our final days.
    What a man! R.I.P. Wayne.

#114 1 year ago

It's always sad when someone dies, but this is about the least tragic it can be. I hope Wayne loved every minute of his 104 years. Imagine designing more pinball machines than anyone ever by the age of 50, then living another 54 years. What a life. I'm sure his family misses him even more than we do.

#115 1 year ago
    Quoted from yancy:

It's always sad when someone dies,

There are times instead of mourning the loss. We should thank God he lived.

LTG : )

#116 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

There are times instead of mourning the loss. We should thank God he lived.
    LTG : )

So true!

#117 1 year ago

Just a memory of the Pinball Expo I attended with Wayne some time ago: "Why don't they oil the shooter rods? They need oil." Wayne was a neighbor that came over to play WOZ when it was just released.

#118 1 year ago

Shining example of the Greatest Generation and a prolific pinball designer. I wish I would have had a chance to meet him.

If you haven't heard his Topcast interview with Clay, check it out, it's a great listen. His recall at around 90 (ish) at the time was incredible!

1 week later
    #119 1 year ago

what i find amazing is wayne, steve kordek and norm clark all lived to 100 and beyond.

#120 1 year ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

what i find amazing is wayne, steve kordek and norm clark all lived to 100 and beyond.

Maybe we should all start designing pinball machines...?

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from illawarra92:

It was happy work. Keeps you young!

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/he-just-keeps-on-goingwayne-is-104/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.