Gottlieb Surf Side Not Completing Reset

By Defcoach90

34 days ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 34 days ago

Greetings,

I have a Surf Side that does not complete a reset. When the start button is pressed, the player two score reels reset to 0000 then the player one reels thousands and hundreds reset but the tens and ones to not. The "N" relay stays energized and the score wheel continues to cycle until it is powered off.

I've been trying to trace it for several hours and now feel like I'm just chasing my tail.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Tom

#2 34 days ago

I don't think the N/1 Point relay should fire during reset. That could keep your player 1 1s score reel from resetting. Are you sure N is active? If so I'd start by figuring out why.

/Mark

#3 34 days ago

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the reply. The more I look at this, the less sense it makes to me. When you start the game, player 2 score resets as it should, every time. Player 1 score resets the 1000s and 100s correctly. The 10s and 1s don't move. The M and N relays are constantly energized, which causes the 10s and 1s score reel to be constantly energized. If I roll the 10s reel to 0 manually, the 1s reset to 0. However, the M and N relays remain energized. I'm trying to trace back through the schematic to see what they have in common and that is unique to player 2, but I'm just not seeing it.

Sorry if this is hard to follow.

Thanks,
Tom

Added 34 days ago:

Sorry, that should have been "unique to player 1"

#4 33 days ago

The M and N relays shouldn't be active. As you observed the score reels lock on and won't reset.

Start blocking switches in the circuits that drive those two relays to see if you can figure out which path is activating them.

#5 33 days ago

Thanks again. I'm making progress. I was able to narrow it down something on the playfield by disconnecting the jones connectors and the score reset properly. I cleaned up the playfield and now the scores reset as they should with everything connected. Not sure what it was, but it's working.

Now, after the score resets, the control bank resets but the ball does not kick out of the out hole and the playfield is not live. I found out today that someone else had worked on this machine before I got it, so....

#6 32 days ago
Quoted from Defcoach90:

Thanks again. I'm making progress. I was able to narrow it down something on the playfield by disconnecting the jones connectors and the score reset properly. I cleaned up the playfield and now the scores reset as they should with everything connected. Not sure what it was, but it's working.
Now, after the score resets, the control bank resets but the ball does not kick out of the out hole and the playfield is not live. I found out today that someone else had worked on this machine before I got it, so....

At this point I would recommend checking fuses there regularly are an additional two under the play field, then cleaning jones plugs to the playfield and check the switch on the out hole make sure it is clean and makes contact. Patience you will get it done.

#7 32 days ago

Thanks, if I've leaned nothing else from pin restoration, it's patience. Found and checked 5 fuses. All good. Cleaned Jones plugs. At this point, pressing start resets scores and control bank. Light box and playfield light up but none of the playfield features are active. 30v hold and tilt hold relays are active. All tilt and anti cheat switches work like they should. Not sure what else the play field features have in common that would keep them from coming on. I have the out hole jumpered but it still doesn't fire. With nothing working, it should be easy, but I'm not seeing it.

#8 31 days ago

Update...
It's mostly working. I pulled the main board out and went over all the connections on the control bank. More than a couple were out of alignment. I also found that the control bank itself does not sit properly in its mount when it is locked down. This caused the score wheel to run continuously and the playfield to be dead.

Now I just need to track down why several of the playfield features are not working. But we have made great strides.

Thanks for the support and encouragement.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-surf-side-not-completing-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.