PXL_20230921_145607720 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152812628 (resized).jpg
PXL_20231013_152819420 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230822_234604281 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128270_1138714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_4128316_1138723 (resized).jpg
20230716_181917 (resized).jpg
20230716_181924 (resized).jpg
There are 1,800 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 36.
#1751 6 months ago
Quoted from ParkRangerPinball:

My PF is not *too* bad, but I know it' won't get better over time. Worn areas *relatively* minimal, and my local guy filled in the sunken inserts with epoxy, which turned out pretty good, actually. Still, I plan to keep Gorgar forever and each week I see more and more paint coming off, tiny bit by bit.

Put mylar or a playfield protector on it. Play the crap out of it. I know you don't plan on ever getting rid of it, but when your playtime on it slows down (it always does unless it's your only machine) - THEN do a PF swap. That way you can fall in love with playing it all over again while you are tweaking things on the new playfield's play.

#1752 6 months ago

Thanks sparksterz that's very helpful. And you're right, I think it's just mirco who makes them vs. CPR.
Definitely a bummer about the new PF chipping after all that work. Something to think about for sure...
My PF is not *too* bad, but I know it' won't get better over time. Worn areas *relatively* minimal, and my local guy filled in the sunken inserts with epoxy, which turned out pretty good, actually. Still, I plan to keep Gorgar forever and each week I see more and more paint coming off, tiny bit by bit.
Pix of the worst areas, sorry for glass on photos.[quoted image][quoted image]

Have you thought of getting a overlay?

#1753 6 months ago
Quoted from pyrotech:

Have you thought of getting a overlay?

Not really, was worried lining it up around already worn/missing paint inserts would look bad.

You recommend?

Quoted from slochar:

Put mylar or a playfield protector on it. Play the crap out of it. I know you don't plan on ever getting rid of it, but when your playtime on it slows down (it always does unless it's your only machine) - THEN do a PF swap. That way you can fall in love with playing it all over again while you are tweaking things on the new playfield's play.

Ha, good call. Have actually been looking for a 2nd machine. It's the favorite of our 5.

Aside: current machine had sound volume going up and down randomly during tonight's play.

#1754 6 months ago

Not really, was worried lining it up around already worn/missing paint inserts would look bad.
You recommend?

Ha, good call. Have actually been looking for a 2nd machine. It's the favorite of our 5.
Aside: current machine had sound volume going up and down randomly during tonight's play.

I put one on my xenon. Looks great. Plays a little faster.

1 month later
#1755 5 months ago

Good afternoon, I just finished up a fabric glass cover for someone with a Gorgar. It is 20.5 x 42 inches so sits perfectly on the glass and keeps the dust off. It is available from my Pinside store for $50. Thanks very much.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1505-duke-pinball/09766-gorgar-glass-cover-

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1756 5 months ago
Quoted from Freeplay69:

Good afternoon, I just finished up a fabric glass cover for someone with a Gorgar. It is 20.5 x 42 inches so sits perfectly on the glass and keeps the dust off. It is available from my Pinside store for $50. Thanks very much.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1505-duke-pinball/09766-gorgar-glass-cover-[quoted image]

Looks great.

2 weeks later
#1758 4 months ago
Quoted from Freeplay69:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1505-duke-pinball/09766-gorgar-glass-cover-[quoted image]

OOPS!
ITEM UNAVAILABLE
Sorry, the item you're looking for is currently unavailable.

#1759 4 months ago

Has anyone tried using the Troxel magnet-based drop-target boards? https://troxelrepair.com/product/nmp/

I've been having a devil of a time dialing in the tension on my horseshoe connections to the boards I've got, and I'm almost ready to give up and just get magnets. But I have a strong feeling they'll feel a lot different, because there of course won't be any tension on the drop target.

Just curious to hear everyone else's thoughts on this product.

#1760 4 months ago
Quoted from MisterScappy:

OOPS!
ITEM UNAVAILABLE
Sorry, the item you're looking for is currently unavailable.

I am sold out of the Gorgar glass covers until after Christmas. If you are interested in one, please PM me and I can let you know when the next shipment arrives. Thanks for the interest.

#1761 4 months ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

Has anyone tried using the Troxel magnet-based drop-target boards? https://troxelrepair.com/product/nmp/
I've been having a devil of a time dialing in the tension on my horseshoe connections to the boards I've got, and I'm almost ready to give up and just get magnets. But I have a strong feeling they'll feel a lot different, because there of course won't be any tension on the drop target.

I use them in mine. Leagues better than the horse shoes. Highly recommend. Though you should epoxy the magnets to the plastic...I went the super glue route and regretted it. Also depending on your machine, the drop bank next to the lowest pop bumper can give enough interference to cause phantom drops. They sell a small piece of shielding which can resolve the issue if it's one you encounter.

#1762 4 months ago

Bought the nmp sensors from oldschoolbob and they work amazingly. Look to be the same as the ones you linked. Definitely need the metal shielding or interference will trigger the targets. Better than new once they are installed and adjusted.

#1763 4 months ago

I have a friend doing a playfield swap for me and the upper left kick out hole, the clear got chipped. He is going to touch up but does anybody by chance have an extra Clify kick out hole protector they want to sell?
Shoot me a pm if you do, this would save my day!
Thanks!

#1764 4 months ago
Quoted from kklank:

I have a friend doing a playfield swap for me and the upper left kick out hole, the clear got chipped. He is going to touch up but does anybody by chance have an extra Clify kick out hole protector they want to sell?
Thanks!

Guess it wasn't just me huh? My chipped piece was so large you can still see it with a Cliffy...a bit annoying, but at least that part of the playfield was normally raw wood anyway so no art lost.

#1765 4 months ago
Quoted from kklank:

Thanks!

New micro playfield? Have debated new of vs trying to do touch up paint on mine plus heavy clear.

How do you guys who have done it like the new PFs?

#1766 4 months ago

New micro playfield? Have debated new of vs trying to do touch up paint on mine plus heavy clear.
How do you guys who have done it like the new PFs?

I found everything fits pretty well, I know people have talked about alignment issues on other Mirco playfields. The only notable difference I had were the location of the drill holes for the metal stop on the side shot which was easy to re-drill/move.

From a looks standpoint I think it's great, the art is quite nice. The main issues lie in clear coat chipping. I had a minor piece chip near my left sling and if that were the only spot I wouldn't really fault it. The main issue is the left side shot kicker. When the solenoid actuates to kick the ball out it very often causes the clear around the hole to chip. I had it chip once, kept playing, then it happened again, and it just took the clear basically from all around the front face of the hole before I could fit a cliffy to it. So while it's mostly hidden, I still know underneath it's all chipped :/ All things considered there's no art there and on the original playfield that's just exposed wood even, could be worse I suppose.

The time and effort it takes however is significant, I'd say maybe 80 hours. That's not a throw away amount of time for sure...Going the hard top route would definitely be less time, or if you're willing to re-level/replace inserts you can save a lot of time. Mine had cupped inserts everywhere and severely raised inserts to the point I wanted to try replacing the whole thing. Now it looks and plays great, but those clear coat chips still nag at me.

#1767 4 months ago

thanks for that sparksterz

Local guy apoxy'd my cupped inserts. Thinking more and more about doing touch ups and then a heavy clear.

#1768 4 months ago

thanks for that sparksterz
Local guy apoxy'd my cupped inserts. Thinking more and more about doing touch ups and then a heavy clear.

Yeah, if you're going to pull it for a clear, worst case you can leave the bottom populated and hard top it. These play fields come out super easy luckily

1 month later
#1769 3 months ago

So I put the 5 bank set on my Alien Poker since that game is VERY dependent on the drop targets tracking correctly. My observations:
-The drops trigger perfect every time (Alien Poker doesn't appear to have the same need for shielding)
-You want your plastic drop target guides to be as near perfect as possible, specifically the lip that the drops themselves rest on. 3D printed replacements work, but will want to orient your print in such a way that these lips are really clean.
-There are two different types of drops in this era, T and L shaped bottoms. They respond differently when the horseshoes are gone. If one isn't working for you, consider giving the other a go
-In my AP I found the sensitivity was just too high with the NMP's set up stock. There is nothing stopping you from keeping the horseshoes ON the drops with the NMP setup. I did this on my machine and used some copper trace tape on the back of the NMP boards themselves (be very careful not to short anything with it) so that they were a point of resistance against the horseshoes, just like from factory. If you want to lighten the tension, you can cut off one side of the horseshoe since they are only a spring mechanism now, not serving any electrical purpose. I have yet to see any interference issues by having the horseshoes/trace tape on the NMP boards.

#1770 3 months ago

In this week it's exactly 44 years ago when GORGAR was officially presented in Germany at the "IMA 1980" in Frankfurt am Main ("IMA" ---> "Internationale Münz-Automaten-Ausstellung" or "International Coin-Machine-Exhibition")
As everyone born before the 70ies will remember, Pinball was absolutely huge in those days, also in Germany. GORGAR was mentioned in the news and even in ordinary family-magazines like this ...

It reads:
PINBALL-MACHINE CAN EVEN SPEAK
The latest Hit for Pinball-Fans: A Machine that's able to speak. If Gorgar, the red Monster, gets hit, he moans: YOU HURT ME. And he praises the Winner with shattering Voice: YOU BEAT ME. Gorgar only speaks english though. Pinball-Fans put a Billion Deutschmark in Machines every year.
Below Picture: GORGAR growls if the Player beats him.

DSCI0013 (resized).JPGDSCI0013 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#1771 66 days ago

Can someone post a picture of their knocker? Troubleshooting mine since it isn't working. Does the game need to be off free play for the solenoid to fire even for diagnostics? This is a new to me game and a known issue when I purchased it but it is on free play.

#1772 66 days ago

In free play no knocker but should still work in diagnostics.

#1773 66 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

In free play no knocker but should still work in diagnostics.

Thanks, I was thinking that may be the case. It does not work in diagnostics.

3 weeks later
#1774 45 days ago

Anyone ever try precision flippers on their game? Been thinking about it lately. Also, I changed all my lights to LEDs. I may change the front 4 back to incandescent because those are so brights when 2x 3x are lit I can't see the ball.

#1775 44 days ago

The best Gorgar mod is a sub woofer.

AD69209A-F005-4508-ABF8-DF6FE0F6A350 (resized).jpegAD69209A-F005-4508-ABF8-DF6FE0F6A350 (resized).jpeg
#1776 40 days ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

The best Gorgar mod is a sub woofer.
[quoted image]

I ordered a new cabinet woofer and have a 100W amp to connect to it. Not sure how well that will work, but hoping I can get a little more kick out of the heartbeat.

#1777 40 days ago
Quoted from tedwasright:

Anyone ever try precision flippers on their game? Been thinking about it lately. Also, I changed all my lights to LEDs. I may change the front 4 back to incandescent because those are so brights when 2x 3x are lit I can't see the ball.

Gotta put another order in for Precisions shortly, looking at Gorgar with evil intentions. I have a couple of gold Halo's here, but thinking solids will be more suited. If i buy new ones it'll probs be red with black rubbers.

#1778 34 days ago
AC10CD02-242C-4594-898D-6EAF1080A17D (resized).jpegAC10CD02-242C-4594-898D-6EAF1080A17D (resized).jpegBED6E163-80EF-4CF9-825B-259810E91961 (resized).jpegBED6E163-80EF-4CF9-825B-259810E91961 (resized).jpeg
#1779 34 days ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

[quoted image][quoted image]

That's great. Before I got my Gorgar I was looking at a Firepower. Nice

#1780 34 days ago

Awesome. About to start on a full restore of my Gorgar.
Got a nice line up now of my favourite Williams..
Gorgar, Firepower, Blackout and Defender. Just looking for a Black Knight to finish it off.

#1781 33 days ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I have the same line up. Great combo just need a Black Knight to finish the trio.

#1782 31 days ago

Anyone have a spare drop target plastic kicking around they don't need? ... the middle one in front of the pops. thanks -A

#1783 31 days ago
Quoted from GraniteStatePin:

Anyone have a spare drop target plastic kicking around they don't need? ... the middle one in front of the pops. thanks -A

Is this what you are talking about?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1784 31 days ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Those were my first 2 machines. Wanted to do Black Knight third also but figured I should get something a little more modern.

#1785 31 days ago
Quoted from pyrotech:

[quoted image]

Sorry, no. Looking for the playfield plastic with artwork on it. Thanks

#1786 31 days ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Those were my first 2 machines. Wanted to do Black Knight third also but figured I should get something a little more modern.

Gorgar, Firepower and Black Knight are definitely a great trio. I remember the 3 machines lined up in the 80s at my local arcade. People were crowding around them.

#1787 31 days ago
Quoted from pyrotech:

[quoted image]

That's what I thought they needed also. The saga continues,,,,

#1788 31 days ago

Yeah, I guess I worded that poorly. I need this playfield plastic that is circled! thanks

img_3362-750x715 (resized).pngimg_3362-750x715 (resized).png
#1789 31 days ago

Yeah, I guess I worded that poorly. I need this playfield plastic that is circled! thanks
[quoted image]

That is what pyrotech showed you without the decals on it.

#1790 31 days ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

That is what pyrotech showed you without the decals on it.

Not the drop target, the playfield plastic, triangle-ish brown and yellow piece that mounts on top of the star posts. Thanks

#1791 31 days ago

Not the drop target, the playfield plastic, triangle-ish brown and yellow piece that mounts on top of the star posts. Thanks

Got it, My mistake.

#1792 31 days ago

[quoted image]

I may have an old one. I will check but it will be late tonight.

#1793 30 days ago

I do have an old one. It looks good to me, I can send a photo to you if you like?

#1794 30 days ago
Quoted from pyrotech:

I do have an old one. It looks good to me, I can send a photo to you if you like?

Great! Sent you a message. Thanks

2 weeks later
#1795 10 days ago

I am working on a Gorgar for a friend and none of the solenoids are firing except the flippers still work. Everything else appears to be working fine. I couldn’t find any obvious disconnected wires on any of the solenoids. And advice you can give me to help troubleshoot this? Thanks!

#1796 10 days ago
Quoted from Otowner:

I am working on a Gorgar for a friend and none of the solenoids are firing except the flippers still work. Everything else appears to be working fine. I couldn’t find any obvious disconnected wires on any of the solenoids. And advice you can give me to help troubleshoot this? Thanks!

How does the 40 pin connector look?

#1797 10 days ago
Quoted from pyrotech:

How does the 40 pin connector look?

I will check next time I’m at my friends looking at his machine. I’ll probably go back over there next week hopefully with some more insight on what might be the problem.

#1798 10 days ago

I finally join the club! A nice Gorgar followed me, to expand my sys 3-7 collection! This machine is from USA.. the previous owner lived near San Francisco for 20 years and when he decided to return to Italy, he took it with him (along with lots of other cool stuff). So it needs to be converted for 220V use (change bridges on the blue connector, varistor, etc etc) and a boards check because it will have been off for at least 15 years. Here you are a little pic once unloaded at home, with its quarters

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-15 at 09.10.55 (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-04-15 at 09.10.55 (resized).jpeg
#1799 10 days ago

Awesome!

Just waiting for my new cabinet and cleared playfield to show and it is next on my list to restore....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

2,813 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,800 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-back-from-the-dead-and-terrifying/page/36 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.