FutureSpa_Wiring_ContCoil_PB4.jpg
SD2 (resized).PNG
SD2 (resized).png
SD1 (resized).PNG
SD1 (resized).png
pasted_image1 (resized).png
P1030267 (resized).jpg
P1030268 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinster68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I have a non-working left outlane save gate on my Future Spa. In short, it's unresponsive during solenoid tests, but activates when grounding Q17. Here's some details...

-Yes, the gate is in the correct position; vertical (two inlanes when the solenoid is activated); swings clockwise (for two outlanes) when idle.
-Checked the SDB as mentioned above. And even swapped in another SDB to verify. No change.
-Swapped MPUs (I have two Ultimate MPUs by Alltek). No change.
-Checked continuity between A3J4-11 on the SBD, and A4J4-5 at the MPU - All good.

I'm stumped ... help appreciated.

P1030267 (resized).jpgP1030267 (resized).jpgP1030268 (resized).jpgP1030268 (resized).jpg
#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Bad diode on coil?

Thanks for chiming in. I checked the diode and it was ok. Replaced anyhow.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Not working under computer control but works manually when you short the transistor. You properly checked the wiring. Was the coil replaced with the wrong type? Maybe there is a mechanical problem where the gate works with a direct short but fails under computer signal.

I’m going to try and trace things out with a logic probe. I’ll check back in.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Repin the connectors to the mpu and sdb even though you checked them. It's the only thing in common!

They look clean and solid. I’ll double check my diags on the lines, and replace if there’s any doubt. Thanks for the 2-cents.

Brian

1 week later
#8 4 years ago

I don't appear to get any signalling from the CPU to trigger the solenoid. I'm a bit lost on the schematics here. Tracing back from the solenoid, I have J5-7 to Q17 preceded by the low voltage (5v) transistor. I don't have any low or high reading with a logic probe. J4-11 cross-connects to the MPU. I'm used to seeing a decoder chip before the solenoids, but none is noted (or so I can see) on the schematic.

SD1 (resized).PNGSD1 (resized).PNGSD2 (resized).PNGSD2 (resized).PNG
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

You're looking at the wrong signal between the MPU board and the solenoid driver board. It should be: (yellow-brown wire)
[quoted image]

Whoops ... yeah, got ahead of myself with the screen snippets and circled the wrong set. Thanks.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

There's no decoder chip because it's one of the 4 continuous solenoids (ball gate, credit lockout, flippers, and likely an unused one on Future Spa).
The signal is going to originate in U11 PB4, so that's where to probe it. Easiest would probably be to start a game, trigger the gate open, then probe the pin (would be harder in solenoid test since it's going to pulse).
The schematics are a bit wrong here it seems - it's showing that it goes to pin 12 on j4 on the mpu, which isn't in the schematic. The continuous solenoids show as connected to pins j4-5, 6, 7, 8, so it's going to be one of those.

Thanks! I’ll dig deeper tomorrow.

#13 4 years ago

Alright ... I tried several times over now, but no luck.

I looked for signaling on the MPU, grabbed 5v off of TP6, and probed the pin on U11 for PB4 (and all the other continuous solenoid data lines). No change. PB4 reads low on the logic probe.

I also tried switching all option DIP switches to their opposite values (just in case) ... no change.

Gate solenoid still fires when Q17 is grounded.

All lines buzz out ... SDB to solenoid, and SDB to MPU.

I’ve tried TWO Alltek ultimate MPUs, and the original MPU. No change.

I’m patient ... but getting frustrated.

Any additional help greatly appreciated.
3A44C98B-6B99-411E-8901-27847CC18CAE (resized).jpeg3A44C98B-6B99-411E-8901-27847CC18CAE (resized).jpeg

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

So the status lines to the continuous solenoids never change? Can you pull the signal wire out of the j4 connector and test again? If it never changes state from the pia outputs on the various boards you've tried it's just not going to work, ever. In fact.... put a temporary wire in the signal path replacing the wire that's there now, just a wire with .100 connector on each end, pull the other one in question and replace it with a new wire.
It's really odd that it's not changing state.... is this in solenoid test? You should get a pulse on it once every run through (and the flipper relay and coin lockout signals).
You've pretty much eliminated everything other than the wire itself with the board swapping, but the PIA output definitely should be changing state.

ok, it’s fixed!

I was probing the wrong pins. Located the right pins on the PIA and they changed as they should. Traced back to J4-5 and found a broken .100 connector. I should have listened to you the first time when you said to re-pin the connector.

Thanks for sticking in there with me. If you’re ever in Asbury Park please let me buy you a beer and/or a day pass to the Silverball Museum. Sincerely, thanks!

Brian

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinster68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-spa-gate-not-working?tu=pinster68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.