(Topic ID: 161050)

For sale: Punchy the Clown (Alvin G. & Co, 1993)

By jmountjoy111

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

#1 7 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Game - for trade

For sale: Punchy the Clown (Alvin G. & Co, 1993)

Added: 2016-05-31 12:15:28 UTC • Ended: July 4th, 2016
Condition: Used - shows wear but 100% working and clean

Price

Trade
Listed at $ 2,000

Price is firm

In my hunt for a weird and cheesy game to round out the collection I picked up this Punchy the Clown. It fulfills the weird and cheesy requirements for sure. It is a pretty fun game and I am completely content with it however, I was actually wanting a Gottlieb Genesis. So that being said I am willing to trade punchy for a Genesis plus cash. It could working, not working, semi working whatever. I would also be interested in other trades or would sale outright for cash. I also do not want to ship which I know makes things even more difficult lol. I'm not trying to be I just don't want the game bad enough to go through the hassle.

As for the punchy. It has a chip in one of the plastics, directly above the left side drop target bank. The cabinet has some wear and a little chipping at the front. I was told the ticket dispenser works but I have not tried it. Game is in good shape. Playfield is beautiful.

Item photos

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are jmountjoy111's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to jmountjoy111's stats page

Listing result

The seller marked this ad as "not sold". The item did not sell through Pinside so there's no listing result.

Item location

Williamsburg, KY, US

#2 7 years ago

I will post some more pictures this afternoon when I get home. Those are just he ones I had on my phone.

#3 7 years ago

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#4 7 years ago

#5 7 years ago

Love the colors on this thing. Very cool.

#6 7 years ago

It is a neat little game and actually quite challenging. Hitting the punchy drop target in order is difficult to say the least. I play it quite a bit but I have some nostalgia towards revealing that robot and who doesn't love that little guy on the Genesis translite

#7 7 years ago

I played this at Modern Pinball in NYC. It's a funny little game. Your price is much better than the $20,000 tag they had on theirs....

#8 7 years ago

The best looking Punchy the Clown I have ever seen.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

The best looking Punchy the Clown I have ever seen.

Very rare - for discerning clientele only.

#10 7 years ago

It definitely meets the weird and cheesy aspect that I was looking for. I am content with the game as a quirky break from my other games but I would still prefer Genesis. Along with some cash of course. Lol

I can drive within reason to make trades work.

#11 7 years ago

You know, I would be SO interested in this - would go great next to my Nudge-It. Timing andmon are my issues .. Hell, I'd enjoy the drive, too.

For those that are resisting to buy because of the ticket side of things, don't be. There's enough folks on here - including me - that would be more than willing to help out should any problem arise.

#12 7 years ago

I think the tickets probably work. I am hoping for a trade though instead of a cash sale.

#13 7 years ago

Willing to listen on titles other than Genesis. Just sayin lol.

I've always been a system 11 fan as well

#14 7 years ago

These must be extremely rare. I've never seen one in person. Do they all come with two sets of leg holes so you can lower the game for kids? If so, that was a cool idea.

#15 7 years ago

Yes. I believe they made 103 of them.

They can be set up low or high. I have it set high but it has been set low most of its life

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

These must be extremely rare. I've never seen one in person. Do they all come with two sets of leg holes so you can lower the game for kids? If so, that was a cool idea.

Yes, I believe all were setup like that. Here is a video of a Punchy I once owned that Eddie was nice enough to make:

The machine is definitely a pinball as it features good old silly fun! Good luck with the trade/sale!

Brad

#17 7 years ago

Great video! I didn't realize the playfield was smaller than a normal game.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Quoted from gweempose:

Great video! I didn't realize the playfield was smaller than a normal game.

Yeah - all the redemption pins (like Nudge-It, Punchy, Super Mario Mushroom World, Ticket-Tac-Toe, etc) had two sets of holes, so the whole game can be lowered for younger players. (Kids! Great way to get kids involved in pinball.. let them play and win tickets!) I'm not sure about Punchy, but Nudge-It and Mushroom World are around the size of Safecracker in width, if not the same.

#19 7 years ago

Just from playing it feel like the width is similar to normal. Just shorter in length. I could be wrong though and I'm not at home to measure it or anything like that

#20 7 years ago

It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like a normal size backbox, just a shorter playfield.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It's hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like a normal size backbox, just a shorter playfield.

Normal size backbox and normal width playfield, just shorter, and dual leg mounting holes. It's what Alvin G & Co. referred to as their Mini-Pin.

It's actually a fun little game with an interesting story. More on Punchy later when I'm not typing on this phone....

#22 7 years ago

It has an incredibly challenging jackpot. You have to score the drop targets in order. Super difficult

#23 7 years ago

Might be easier to sell it to someone that wants a Punchy and use the cash for a Genesis. Than finding someone with a Genesis that wants a punchy no? Either way good luck and bump

#24 7 years ago

Might be. I'm willing to listen on other trades for sure. Not really looking to outright sell but I might have to go that route. Thanks for the bump btw

#25 7 years ago

I got the Genesis for you if you free up the funds from selling this.
only 8 hours from you.

#26 7 years ago

Ouch. 8 hours might be a stretch lol.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from MattElder:

Normal size backbox and normal width playfield, just shorter, and dual leg mounting holes. It's what Alvin G & Co. referred to as their Mini-Pin.
It's actually a fun little game with an interesting story. More on Punchy later when I'm not typing on this phone....

Getting back to Punchy here....

The inspiration for the game came from Michael Gottlieb's 4 year old niece, Danielle, when she drew a pinball playfield with a clown face on it. She called it the "Clowny game". Michael and Jim Shird took the idea and designed the game using only existing parts (aside from items with artwork, obviously) to eat up leftover stock. So, owners of other Alvin G games may recognize certain wall type ball guides that were pieced together, Switch-Flippers (minus the actuator wires), and other things tossed in there.

Another little piece of Punchy trivia is that even though there were only 103 units made, there were 2 different cabinet versions. Some came with the start button on the left and the ticket dispenser on the upper right, and others had the start button on the right and the ticket dispenser on the lower right.

Anyway, I think it's a great little game. Good luck on a sale or trade, OP!

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I think the tickets probably work.

I would also guess that the dispenser works fine. Alvin G used Coin Controls CDT-10 dispensers on all their redemption games and they are typically rock solid units.

#29 7 years ago

^^^ Very cool!

#30 7 years ago

After some careful consideration I believe it would be best to just sell the machine. If interested in a cash sale let me know.

I'm also still willing to trade to whatever.

#31 7 years ago

After some careful consideration I believe it would be best to just sell the machine.

I think that's the best way to go. Since it's such a rare and niche machine, the buyer pool is very limited. It's much easier just to sell it outright and then use that money to buy whatever you want.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

Your price is much better than the $20,000 tag they had on theirs....

$20,000?1 Yikes! A minty treasure cove restored punchy just sold on ebay for $1800 and a really nice punchy that needed a little tinkering just sold on ebay for $430.

I'm 200 miles away and would offer up a gottlieb wipeout for trade. It's very much a players quality game but it plays great and is quite fun.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

$20,000?1 Yikes! A treasure cover minty restored punchy just sold on ebay for $1800.
I'm 200 miles away and would offer up a gottlieb wipeout for trade. It's very much a players quality game but it plays great and is quite fun.

I'm good but thanks for price policing my for sale thread

#34 7 years ago

no problem

#35 7 years ago

I'm not too worried about it honestly. I'd say I'll sell it for what I'm asking or get a solid trade.

I bet if you look hard enough you can find that $400 Ptc again. Or maybe you can't since they made 100 of them. Lol

I do appreciate the free bumps. I just hope I don't get ejected for over bumping

#36 7 years ago

I bet if you look hard enough you can find that $400 Ptc again. Or maybe you can't since they made 100 of them.

Hard to say.. I got my Nudge-It for $75. Which blew my mind.

Free bump.

#37 7 years ago

That's kind of what I am saying. I was $2200 into a white water, $200 into a riverboat gambler, $1000 into a black knight 2000. Those are deals that pop up. What are the odds of finding another $75 nudge-it or a $400 punchy for that matter. The odds are a lot better at a $2200 white water and I am not seeing a lot of those lol

#38 7 years ago

I got my nudge it and bell ringer for 500 each. They'll be at sfge on free play this year.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from d0n:

I got my nudge it and bell ringer for 500 each. They'll be at sfge on free play this year.

Another great story. Lol. I've gotten lots of good deals on pinball machines, I played them, and then I moved them on to another pinhead.

I gave the manual envelope to MattElder. The manuals are still with the game but no envelope. Just wanted to post because it is in the pictures but won't go with the game.

#40 7 years ago

Bumping up a super rare punchy the clown.

3 weeks later
#41 7 years ago

500 cash

#42 7 years ago

Lol. I'd part it out before I took $500. This game is going on route. I appreciate the low ball offer though.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-punchy-the-clown-alvin-g-co-1993-1994 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.