Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by rayethan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 19 days ago

Hi. I'm having a hard time figuring out what is going on with my Williams Firepower. Firepower

1. Switch row 5 is not working.
2. Solenoid 9 is not working.
3. On startup, it does not complete the sound effects/speech. It says "Firepower", but then the sound seems to cut out.
4. Anytime one of the top rollovers, F-I-R-E, is hit, it plays "You won one mission" (It doesn't award an extra ball, it just plays the phrase.)
5. When you spell FIRE, it says "Mission Accomplished" instead of "Fire." (Although when you light POWER, it says "Power" and if you have FIRE lit, it correctly says "Firepower.")
6. Tilt just makes a sound, no speech. (There are probably other speech issues, but since I can't make the number 4 (see no. 1 above), it is hard to test them.)
7. Game over, it does not complete the sound effects/speech.

I've tried 3 different driver boards and I am still having the same problem. I'm concerned that it is the CPU/PIA.

I'd appreciate some assistance.

Thanks,
Ethan

#2 19 days ago

How’s the 40 pin connector on the CPU?

#3 19 days ago
Quoted from rayethan:

2. Solenoid 9 is not working.
3. On startup, it does not complete the sound effects/speech. It says "Firepower", but then the sound seems to cut out.
4. Anytime one of the top rollovers, F-I-R-E, is hit, it plays "You won one mission" (It doesn't award an extra ball, it just plays the phrase.)
5. When you spell FIRE, it says "Mission Accomplished" instead of "Fire." (Although when you light POWER, it says "Power" and if you have FIRE lit, it correctly says "Firepower.")

Quoted from rayethan:

. Tilt just makes a sound, no speech. (There are probably other speech issues, but since I can't make the number 4 (see no. 1 above), it is hard to test them.)
7. Game over, it does not complete the sound effects/speech.

Until you get solenoid 9 working, the sound will never be correct. The solenoids 9-13 work in conjunction to send 5 bits to the sound board. You're missing one of those bits because solenoid 9 is either not activating, or more likely, is locked on. You can turn the game on and measure if there is continuity between the tab of the transistor and ground with the meter in continuity mode. If there is, the transistor is blown (or the path to it is blown).

BTW, there is no startup sound. It's likely saying firepower because solenoid 9 is locked on.

Quoted from rayethan:

1. Switch row 5 is not working.

Go into switch test and remove the coin door connector see if it starts working. The coin door coin switches can mash closed and they usually do not have diodes on them.

#4 17 days ago
Quoted from Billc479:

How’s the 40 pin connector on the CPU?

I haven't checked it, but I'll take a look.

#5 17 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Until you get solenoid 9 working, the sound will never be correct. The solenoids 9-13 work in conjunction to send 5 bits to the sound board. You're missing one of those bits because solenoid 9 is either not activating, or more likely, is locked on. You can turn the game on and measure if there is continuity between the tab of the transistor and ground with the meter in continuity mode. If there is, the transistor is blown (or the path to it is blown).
BTW, there is no startup sound. It's likely saying firepower because solenoid 9 is locked on.

Go into switch test and remove the coin door connector see if it starts working. The coin door coin switches can mash closed and they usually do not have diodes on them.

I'll see what happens and let you know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Earp, CA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
2,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Greystone Park, NJ
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/firepower-strange-switch-solenoid-sound-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.